Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The army, not to be outdone by the marines, must have its' own dedicated troop killing machine.

Now that JLTVs are trickling into units, raising average safety of the force, something must be done to bring that number back down and accidental troop deaths back up.

E: month old news

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2022/12/5/bell-tiltrotor-wins-billion-dollar-helo-contract

Can we stop with this Pierre Sprey style bullshit? If I want that, I'll beg to be let back into the Lions led by Donkeys discord after I told a mod to gently caress off when he said I was shadowboxing for calling Pentagon Wars "Bullshit" in a discussion about the Combat Reformers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Next time I'll shoot for David Attenborough.

Strykers being sent.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-18/us-weighs-stryker-vehicles-for-ukraine-aid-package-set-for-friday

quote:

The US plans to send about 100 Stryker armored vehicles to Ukraine as part of a new package of military aid worth about $2.5 billion, adding another more powerful weapons system that it had previously withheld, people familiar with the matter said.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

Air travel post-pandemic been absolutely atrocious. I take trains whenever I can now, but that unfortunately only works to replace some short-haul flights.

Air travel post-9/11 has been terrible. I'm genuinely sorry for anybody that never got the airport experience that should be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You mean without screaming, shrieking TSA agents making old ladies cry at the security line?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There was no such thing as the TSA or DHS. DOT ran everything. You walked to the boarding ramp to wave your people goodbye (or meet them coming right off the plane). If you wanted to fly somewhere, you showed up at the desk and paid cash for a ticket 30 minutes before it left. The seats weren't comfortable, but they weren't the torture devices they are now.

Literally the biggest complaint that most people had about air travel was that you couldn't smoke anymore.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GD_American posted:

There was no such thing as the TSA or DHS. DOT ran everything. You walked to the boarding ramp to wave your people goodbye (or meet them coming right off the plane). If you wanted to fly somewhere, you showed up at the desk and paid cash for a ticket 30 minutes before it left. The seats weren't comfortable, but they weren't the torture devices they are now.

Literally the biggest complaint that most people had about air travel was that you couldn't smoke anymore.

It was odd how people could wander the terminal trying to sell pencils. Also, my uncle was a pilot and I got to job shadow him and was allowed into plane cockpits and airline map rooms to look around. There was the smell of smoke in an office and someone just said it was a bagel in the toaster and there was no alarm.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

oh yeah it was practically a part of the pilot's job to let little kids into the cockpit and let them sit in the pilot seat, and then they gave them a set of novelty wings to pin on.

Basically, the part in Airplane with Bobby, but without the gags

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

My last flight before 9/11 I was late getting to the airport. When I checked in at the desk my flight had already started boarding. They said they would call ahead to security and that I needed to hurry. At security they waved me around the x-ray line and told me to run. Less than 10 minutes from entering the airport to sitting in my seat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

Domestic flights in Australia are still like this. One of my coworkers showed up at the airport 20 minutes before takeoff and had no issues getting on the plane. Meanwhile, I was there the classic hour and a half beforehand.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GD_American posted:

oh yeah it was practically a part of the pilot's job to let little kids into the cockpit and let them sit in the pilot seat, and then they gave them a set of novelty wings to pin on.

Basically, the part in Airplane with Bobby, but without the gags

It's a drat shame this has been lost.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I posted this before but I have a ton of PTO and researched trains as a more comfortable, cheaper alternative to air flight. I found out this is the cheapest roomette you can take on a train where you can have a desk/lay down.

There is a second seat across from you, facing you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chopstix fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 19, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chopstix posted:

I posted this before but I have a ton of PTO and researched trains as a more comfortable, cheaper alternative to air flight. I found out this is the cheapest roomette you can take on a train where you can have a desk/lay down.

There is a second seat across from you, facing you.

the shitter sitting directly next to the passenger was one of the most bizarre things I've seen in those cars. Like... nobody else does their sleeper cars like this, anywhere, ever.

Probably doesn't hurt that US rolling stock is like 60 years old or something wild. oops i was wrong, viewliners are like 35 years old, and superliners are 52 years old, point is, they're loving ancient in train terms because Amtrak is forever underfunded (due to being foreverially late) and neglected and treated like poo poo by freight rail mismanagement since freight rail management doesn't give a gently caress about breaking federal law regarding passenger rail priority (by law, passenger rail is always supposed to have priority on freight rails, as part of the federal regulations that established amtrak), and congress is unwilling to fry them cause they get paid off most likely.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 19, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Haha that is so disgusting. What the gently caress.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm thinking of the thousands of steps it takes to go from a concept to manufacture and installation and marveling at the fact that in all that, nobody stood up and said "no, this is very obviously stupid and we shall proceed no further."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm thinking of the thousands of steps it takes to go from a concept to manufacture and installation and marveling at the fact that in all that, nobody stood up and said "no, this is very obviously stupid and we shall proceed no further."

The company that made those cars is out of business iirc, surprise surprise because the only customer for passenger intercity rail was the federal government and they always run their poo poo until the wheels fall off, well that and the en suite shitter next to the passengers seat. When your customer only buys rolling stock every 30 years you can't make a company off of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Amtrak is like if an army reserve motor pool were somehow turned into a company.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I hope there's another seat-and-shitter combo on the other side, facing this one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Amtrak isn't all terrible. Their San Diego-LA train service is the only sane way to travel between those two cities.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

I hope there's another seat-and-shitter combo on the other side, facing this one

Battle of the dueling shitters

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arrath posted:

It's a drat shame this has been lost.

Well you can blame Russia for that one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bees everywhere posted:

My last flight ever on a Blackhawk was really nice - middle of the night, foggy but with a full moon, flying low through the Himalayas after a fresh snow. I always liked riding in Blackhawks, but not so much other aircraft: C-130s made me airsick, C-17s and CH-47s you're just crammed in there like sardines most of the time, and those rickety old Pumas seemed to be bullet magnets (never happened to me but my XO almost caught one in the back of his head).

Yeah my last was sitting next to the open door in a Blackhawk NOE at the base of the Italian Alps for an air assault training mission.

I was less than two months from getting out and about as over the army as one could possibly be, but it still made me stop and think about how I'll never get a chance to do poo poo like that again.

Helicopters may thirst for our blood but I'd rather ride that tiger than get blown up by IEDs, and getting shot at in a helicopter is way more chill than when you're walking.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Yeah my last was sitting next to the open door in a Blackhawk NOE at the base of the Italian Alps for an air assault training mission.

I was less than two months from getting out and about as over the army as one could possibly be, but it still made me stop and think about how I'll never get a chance to do poo poo like that again.

Helicopters may thirst for our blood but I'd rather ride that tiger than get blown up by IEDs, and getting shot at in a helicopter is way more chill than when you're walking.

Dasharezonejustleave.jpg

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1615967295746048001?s=61&t=mk8wCR4nHafLA756YPVPlw

At this point only the Ariete and Merkava remains.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't understand how they are so loving good at this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Murgos posted:

I got to do a doors open strapped into the side seat, tree level, apocalypse now style UH-1 Huey ride once. It was pretty cool.

Of course my dumb rear end was trying to do my job taking readings off a monitor instead of just enjoying it.

That's the best part of being a passenger on military flights.

I really liked the osprey flights I had, even when they did some kind of crazy sharp turn before landing that I swear had the gear floating off the pallet along with my rear end out of the seat against the seatbelt.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're already going to get Challengers, but I wouldn't mind seeing their request video.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Sweden is sending 50 CV90 IFVs, which are arguably one of the most modern IFVs in service, especially as they were being considered by the Army as a Bradley replacement. These plus the 50 Bradleys make German's self congratulatory donation of 40 Marders look pretty weak too. That said 140 Western heavy IFVs will bring some serious firepower in combined arms warfare.

https://twitter.com/SwedishPM/status/1616049209547067400

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1616204105713688576?t=K75NW100mPdt4uaZG0hVMA&s=33

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dunno about the quality of that account:
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1615856838435651586

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Yeah, I'm a little skeptical, but

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1616207659404824616?t=LRCBmjMDKI4cG7OmP28UEw&s=19

Is what made me share it, so we'll see.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They're already going to get Challengers, but I wouldn't mind seeing their request video.

Something based around the old TR7 commercials would be styling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_yViTllFs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Something based around the old TR7 commercials would be styling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_yViTllFs

That, but Yakety Sax soundtrack and speed applied to the video.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I just want them to tank parody the Toyota commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSEC6hSBes

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I feel like the Russian narrative from a few months ago that western support for Ukraine was on the verge of drying up might have been a little bit wrong

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tbh all of Europe owes Ukraine a big thank you for stopping Russia on their territory rather than say, Finland.

The Baltics get it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nystral posted:

Is the job market as hopping as it is on the IT side? I have an 18 yr old that is looking for some advice on possible careers.

Late, but yes, and you're at the right time to ride a wave of federal grant money for local infrastructure cybersecurity. I'm a consultant in the space, most of the OT I deal with is water and wastewater systems.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nystral posted:

Is the job market as hopping as it is on the IT side? I have an 18 yr old that is looking for some advice on possible careers.

Join the navy reserve as an IT, get a clearance, never volunteer for anything and ride out your first contract and leave.
Field Service Tech jobs requiring security+, secret clearance for $35 an hour.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Join the navy reserve as an IT, get a clearance, never volunteer for anything and ride out your first contract and leave.

In retrospect I really wish I'd done this instead of being going greenside HM.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I feel like the Russian narrative from a few months ago that western support for Ukraine was on the verge of drying up might have been a little bit wrong

It's in Russia's favor for the narrative to be, "LOL, Russia sucks, Ukraine is pwning them so hard no one even needs to help them" if that influences leaders not to continue to provide aid or as much aid as they would otherwise.

Russia is accumulating manpower and still finding reserves of PGMs sufficient to suppress Ukrainian power grid and other essential resources so this war seems far from over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

A family friend was a Coast Guard engineer, now he works for a telecom in a boxy building with maybe one other person on site, I think he has to be there because if the power went down and there was an issue with the generators phones would stop working for a big chunk of a major city. Combo of technical role & clearance means he has a large house.