Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

suletta is very fun. you're at the point where g-witch really came into its own for me, wondering what you end up thinking of it.

unrelated: kind of in the mood for a breezy/fun romance anime or an iyashikei tonight, what should i watch? i was considering k-on s2 but i think their take on the music stuff would annoy me right now and i want to give it a fair shake.

yurucamp

if you haven't seen the movie then I suggest doing it now. You can split it into sections, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Srice posted:

Not only am I gonna go out and see the slime isekai but I'll also catch the SAO movie next month since I make it a habit to go out and see anime movies if they're playing at my local theater.

This makes me braver than the troops and I hope everyone thanks me for my sacrifice.

:patriot:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Julias posted:

It just seems like a dumb decision to have the cut-off be before fall for a variety of reasons, especially since the voting for the award is already well into winter 2023 season. Also it seems like they heard that people were upset that they weren't able to vote for the second half of mushoku tensei last year, despite the whole thing having finished in 2021, and so they decided to put it in the fantasy category for this year :shepface: instead of just putting fall shows in this year :bang:

Extremely late to this but holy bajibbles. This is an awards list precision-engineered to tick me off. Only six candidates for AOTY? In a year as strong as this one? And one of them is Ranking of Kings Cour 2!? Yurei Deco as one of the six in best original!? Any isekai in best fantasy!? I get that shonen are always overrepresented here, but did Demon Slayer really need to be on every list it was eligible for? If this were a cynical corporate "AOTY awards (but we only allow anime that aired on our streaming platform tee hee)" then I could at least understand, but Cyberpunk Edgerunners throws that out the window, too. How on Earth does something like this happen? What, did some underpaid sorority girl intern google "top anime 2022", jump to page twenty of search results, and choose from the first random link they clicked?

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 20, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sb hermit posted:

yurucamp

if you haven't seen the movie then I suggest doing it now. You can split it into sections, it's fine.

loved the first two seasons of yuru camp and still need to do the movie, this will happen soon

still got the itch to get a bunch of nice camping stuff and just relax outside and go fishing/play some acoustic guitar on camping trips

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh right and one last thing I forgot to say about g-witch episode 10:

poor bob. i'm really rooting for him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Crunchyroll wants to use the awards for marketing so of course it's going to try and nominate big popular series. But they also want the awards to feel like they matter so they want to nominate some well regarded shows as well and whelp when you try to do two things at once for awards you end up messing up even more if you just focused on one thing

it is super funny/sad that they 100% seem uninterested in nominating comedies for anime of the year. Even if you take of the fall shows (Which you shouldn't) Kaguya, Call of the Night and Dress up Darling would of been much better nominations than Attack on Titan or Ranking of Kings

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

loved the first two seasons of yuru camp and still need to do the movie, this will happen soon

still got the itch to get a bunch of nice camping stuff and just relax outside and go fishing/play some acoustic guitar on camping trips

:nice:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Frankly I look less fondly on the animes being pushed at the Crunchyroll Awards. So it's a good thing they're not nominating better shows.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ehh every awards show is just a psychic attack on people with good taste, this one is no different

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

any awards show presented by a publisher is always going to be bad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Larry Parrish posted:

This is just code lyoko

The forehead show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remembering the year i got an email from crunchyroll specifically saying that only het couples could be nominated for best couple

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
sixty nine

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

remembering the year i got an email from crunchyroll specifically saying that only het couples could be nominated for best couple

what the gently caress

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

cheetah7071 posted:

the weird dreamy atmosphere of most scenes, mixed in with the high-energy action mood of the kaiju battles is one of the cooler parts of gridman imo

yeah episode 3 is like 90% people being sad in the rain intercut with guys screaming and exploding into giant robots and i love it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Endorph posted:

Did they even do an open nomination process this year? I don't remember seeing any announcements for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

yeah episode 3 is like 90% people being sad in the rain intercut with guys screaming and exploding into giant robots and i love it

wearing its toku influence on its sleeve tbh

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the design choice of the huge frozen kaiju that nobody can see, so that they can constantly do sick skyline shots with them partially obscured by clouds or buildings is just perfect

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

"you [bleeps] need to gently caress off. we're trying to sell action figures here."

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

wearing its toku influence on its sleeve tbh

fair enough haha. maybe all the evangelion vibes i'm feeling are just a layer of abstraction for anno's ultraman worship that i couldn't understand due to genre ignorance

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

studio mujahideen posted:

the design choice of the huge frozen kaiju that nobody can see, so that they can constantly do sick skyline shots with them partially obscured by clouds or buildings is just perfect

it's great, everything feels so unreal and unsettling. also i just watched episode 6 and i guess all of that makes slightly more sense narratively now. real hyped to finish this up over the course of the weekend

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Srice posted:

Not only am I gonna go out and see the slime isekai but I'll also catch the SAO movie next month since I make it a habit to go out and see anime movies if they're playing at my local theater.

This makes me braver than the troops and I hope everyone thanks me for my sacrifice.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Taking my K-On DVD to the theatre so I can watch anime on the big screen too

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
my only wish for the second half of gridman is that there are 500 more fisheye lens shots of akane

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It’s $2 extra to see dubbed slime lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tokusatsu owns

https://twitter.com/horngal/status/1615538965834268672

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It's true

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

donbrothers is one of the best sentai of all time, easily

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the toku/sentai where there was some kids playing rise of incarnates, a game that never got a JP release because it was meant to be gundam versus for americans, and some rear end in a top hat keyboard monster comes out of their craptop and starts terrorizing the place loving ruled

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1250937428518436864

thread with gifs, thank you foone

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Did that monster just laser another monster? Is that common in modern toku shows, to have lethal monster infighting?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

multiple villain factions is how you know a toku is good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like in kamen rider build where they do monster of the week for like 3 episodes and then completely abandon the premise and just have kamen riders fight each other or government robots or both. full-on the leader of the evil country phoning the prime minster of the good country to go 'lets have our kamen riders 1v1 each other'. and then that happens again.

god build rules

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I just finished up the Chimera Ant arc of HxH and I cannot believe how much the show swerved from my expectations and ended on what's essentially an extended, quiet denouement from the king's fight with Netero onwards. There's no big final fight beyond that point and even Gon's fight with Pitou is just a depressing beat down. The last scene with Komugi and Meruem got me choked up. It's a really long arc but it does some incredible work playing with what you expect to see in shonen stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c0nQat0iK0

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember being the only member of my friend group who didn't like Persona 3 when it came out and I'm glad history has at least partially vindicated me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

I just finished up the Chimera Ant arc of HxH and I cannot believe how much the show swerved from my expectations and ended on what's essentially an extended, quiet denouement from the king's fight with Netero onwards. There's no big final fight beyond that point and even Gon's fight with Pitou is just a depressing beat down. The last scene with Komugi and Meruem got me choked up. It's a really long arc but it does some incredible work playing with what you expect to see in shonen stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjiHClo2rmc&t=121s

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The slime movie was not worth staying up a few hours past my usual bed time. I'm sending that dang slime a bill for my morning coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

The slime movie was not worth staying up a few hours past my usual bed time. I'm sending that dang slime a bill for my morning coffee.

any interesting war crimes at least