Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why do japanese developers not let you pet the animals in games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was trying to figure out why Vander sounds so familiar and it was because he had a minor role in Soulcalibur 6 DLC. Why on Earth do I remember his voice from that?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

the silver card is dlc only but also its pretty hard to run out of money since weapons are infinite use and forging doesnt use cash so its not really that useful an item

edit: Also in terms of the emblem rings edelgard (with dimitri and claude) feels a bit phoned in but tiki is cool. edelgard (with dimitri and claude) dont have a paralogue, but tiki does. edelgard (with dimitri and claude) feels like a bonus, but tiki feels like something that could have been in the base game, especially with her being a relatively iconic character.

Forging DOES use money but the ore is a much bigger bottleneck on it, it's true. Game is MAD stingy though, I think you only ever get money in big chunks at predetermined points, I've yet to see a gold bullion or the like. Maybe that's in the skirmishes? I'm intentionally not doing them for that old school feel, so it's possible.

FrickenMoron posted:

Why do japanese developers not let you pet the animals in games ever.

Sommie gets upset if you pet other animals. You don't want to get Sommie upset, do you?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Endorph posted:

they know who the important three houses lord is

At least Dimitri and Claude get lines, unlike another certain Emblem.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just beat chapter 5 and my early impressions are pretty much what I expected going in: the combat is pretty good so far, but the dialogue and plot make me want to die. I honestly feel like I'm only 2-3 more chapter's worth of dogshit cutscenes away from just completely checking out of the story and skipping it all to get to the next fight.

The deep realms base is... better than the monastery I guess but that's not really saying much. I find myself really wishing it was all abstracted into a base menu ala PoR/RD, but oh well I guess.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As a person with a compulsive need to diversify my roster in terms of promotions/classes, the Framme/Jean/Pandreo situation is making me break out in hives.

Martial Monk can promote to Martial Master or High Priest. Framme and Jean are both Martial Monks, Pandreo is a prepromote High Priest. Either I'm going to need to second seal someone or there'll be Class Overlap.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sydin posted:

's

The deep realms base is... better than the monastery I guess but that's not really saying much. I find myself really wishing it was all abstracted into a base menu ala PoR/RD, but oh well I guess.

Engage isn't including Raising Sim mechanics so it is in no way "better" than the monastery and it isn't trying to be. A better three houses monastery would include improvements on those Raising Sim mechanics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

As a person with a compulsive need to diversify my roster in terms of promotions/classes, the Framme/Jean/Pandreo situation is making me break out in hives.

Martial Monk can promote to Martial Master or High Priest. Framme and Jean are both Martial Monks, Pandreo is a prepromote High Priest. Either I'm going to need to second seal someone or there'll be Class Overlap.
you never get a default lance fighter/halbedier so if you want to diversify reclass jean into that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dr Pepper posted:

Engage isn't including Raising Sim mechanics so it is in no way "better" than the monastery and it isn't trying to be. A better three houses monastery would include improvements on those Raising Sim mechanics

I mean better in the sense that it is less tedious. I personally never found the monastery sections compelling in 3H, it was pretty much entirely point a to point b talk to [character] fetch quests of varying flavors, and then a bunch of mechanics like the greenhouse/dining hall/shops/etc that frankly should have just all been grouped into a menu with no load screens or running around at 15fps to waste the player's time. The best thing I'd say about the monastery is that it allowed them to fit in a couple lines of flavor text per character per chapter, although I think Engage handles that better with the after-battle "walk around a small room and chat with everybody in the aftermath before moving on" thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also engage is getting a full manga adaptation for the first time since fe5.

fe6 got a manga, but it was more of a sidestory. fe7-13 didnt get manga at all, fe14 got a short one volume thing with some additional backstory for leo, fe15 and 16 didnt get ones at all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have an unreasonable desire for just one of these kinds of manga adaptations to alternate between the male and female avatar versions every single chapter and it's never brought up or mentioned at all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Finished chapter 6. Game is good though it suffers from the same issue Fates does where there's this time critical event but you can still go back to your castle and do push ups or whatever, even if some people push you to do the next chapter now please.

Anyway game is good I am already putting Marth on Céline because the fact she can use a melee weapon with that skirt is hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I have an unreasonable desire for just one of these kinds of manga adaptations to alternate between the male and female avatar versions every single chapter and it's never brought up or mentioned at all.

granblue's anime did a swimsuit episode where it switched to the female protag (for obvious reasons) and this was never explained, though it was a bonus ova so it was more disconnected to begin with

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Endorph posted:

granblue's anime did a swimsuit episode where it switched to the female protag (for obvious reasons) and this was never explained, though it was a bonus ova so it was more disconnected to begin with

I mean, the explanation is obvious. If you are asking for an in-universe explanation however, there isn't one

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, a heads up: the bonus code from FEH for the FEH weapons can only be redeemed from the My Nintendo Rewards accesible from FEH, not the normal web site. So you do have to redownload de game if you linked your account but deleted the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The legend himself.......

Anyway, started the game and its pretty good. Thought the people saying it was like a Saturday morning cartoon were just trying to get at the idea that its lighter and sillier but no the vibes are very much that. If only the plot was more Monster of the Week.

Only annoyance so far is that I really wish the voice acting used Alear's name if you kept the default. Its weird to be reading along with the dialogue and then always hear an awkward break whenever Alear's name comes up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Actually the other annoyance is that Alear should say "Shine On!" every time he engages.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It is very disappointing that Alear does not shout 'It's Marthin' time!' every time they Engage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some of the engage quotes are pretty funny. like anna's 'this item is NOT for sale'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr Pepper posted:

Chapter 3 spoiler.

I am very upset they killed Queen Dragon-Milf. :mad:

It's a Fire Emblem game and she's your parent so yeah I knew as soon as that chapter started she was going to get Makoto'd. At least they handled it better than Fates did.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Has anyone managed to get FEHeroes bonus code to work? I got the code but when I enter it into the store on my switch it says the game hasn't released yet.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Can you freely change classes when unlocked (within tier)
like can Prunella the ...loving... sage become an armoured knight?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If they have the required weapon proficiencies, yes

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

some of the engage quotes are pretty funny. like anna's 'this item is NOT for sale'

The funniest quote I've had so far is that at the end of a fight, if alear is engaged with Sigurd, they say "if this love is a crime!"

Like it's a great line but it needs a context

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

If they have the required weapon proficiencies, yes

Are these locked or restricted per character, or something which can be trained/learned (with or without a consumable?)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My maddening experience so far:

I've finished five stages and the entire cast has gained a total of three points of strength, combined. One of those three points was on Clanne. In stage 5 I whiffed 13 attacks with an over 75% chance to hit.

I don't think I've ever had an FE run start off this thoroughly cursed so far. :smithicide:

Iymarra posted:

Are these locked or restricted per character, or something which can be trained/learned (with or without a consumable?)

You gain weapon proficiencies by having a character level up their bond with one of the emblem rings that gives the weapon proficiency. So if you want swords, that character needs to level up their bond with Marth, Sigurd, Leif, etc.

You can level up bonds by either spending bond fragments(which are used for a couple of other things as well) or by simply having the character use that emblem in battle.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Drashin posted:

Has anyone managed to get FEHeroes bonus code to work? I got the code but when I enter it into the store on my switch it says the game hasn't released yet.

Yepp, entered it with no issue an hour after it went live.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metis of the Hallway posted:

The funniest quote I've had so far is that at the end of a fight, if alear is engaged with Sigurd, they say "if this love is a crime!"

Like it's a great line but it needs a context
oh, that's every character, not just alear. every character will quote the person they're engaged with. its a cute touch.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
hey everyone i put some tips in the beforeiplay thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2969807&pagenumber=871&perpage=40#post529236422 please feel free to add more stuff

these are the less obvious stuff i can think of from the ~10 hours i played

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

You can get their actual stats by pressing X when checking them. At least in the inventory management menu!
yes, but only in that menu, and not in battle

except! in the trade window, you can see the actual stats! but nowhere else!

it's super weird even if not that impactful

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yeah but chloe what the gently caress does "if this love is a crime. . . . " even mean sigurd why

Kanos posted:

My maddening experience so far:

I've finished five stages and the entire cast has gained a total of three points of strength, combined. One of those three points was on Clanne. In stage 5 I whiffed 13 attacks with an over 75% chance to hit.

I don't think I've ever had an FE run start off this thoroughly cursed so far. :smithicide:

You gain weapon proficiencies by having a character level up their bond with one of the emblem rings that gives the weapon proficiency. So if you want swords, that character needs to level up their bond with Marth, Sigurd, Leif, etc.

You can level up bonds by either spending bond fragments(which are used for a couple of other things as well) or by simply having the character use that emblem in battle.

maddening stat ups are hard fixed, so technically that is all be design :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in fe4 sigurd has a line where he goes 'if this love is a crime, then punish me, and me alone!' in reference to him plowing deidre five seconds after meeting her

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah but chloe what the gently caress does "if this love is a crime. . . . " even mean sigurd why

maddening stat ups are hard fixed, so technically that is all be design :v:
there was a 'growth method' option spottedi n some preview footage so hopefulyl if you clear the game once you can do maddening with random growths cause uhhhhhh, maddening having hard locked stat growths forever would suck rear end

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh maddening has fixed stat growths for everyone in this one? As in everyone's Alear will get the same level 1 -> 2 100% of the time?

If so that actually makes me feel better about this run so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

there was a 'growth method' option spottedi n some preview footage so hopefulyl if you clear the game once you can do maddening with random growths cause uhhhhhh, maddening having hard locked stat growths forever would suck rear end

oh, fyi, this is the case

https://twitter.com/GrimaceDuMinace/status/1615365357526519811

but you need to clear the game on maddening to unlock random growths for it. weird choice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That is definitely a weird choice, but it makes me feel a lot better that my units are sucking rear end because they're supposed to instead of because my RNG is trash.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I’m pretty skeptical that they’re actually fixed in the conventional sense where a 50% growth means you gain X stat every two levels given how POR handled its version, but I’d love to be wrong when someone runs the numbers to make sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fixed growths seem to be 'based on their growths' rather than them preprogramming each level, like fe9 fixed mode. probably the characters get some amount of boost so their first level isnt literally empty but from there its just 'if you have a 35% str growth you get str every 3-4 levels'

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Huh, interesting. This actually kinda makes me wanna play Maddening first, I've never had to play with fixed growths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Is it generally better to forge iron weapons, or wait until I can reliably use steel/silver and then forge those? I've forged Liberation as a quick first, but the materials seem not super common so I'm wondering if I should save them for higher tier weapons or go wild right off the bat.