Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I noticed that Big Picture mentions a music player in the settings along with directories to scan for music, but I can't figure out how to access the player. How do you turn it on?

e:it's in the Library

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Obra Dinn let me know I had a hint to identify a character really early, but I used a different kind of logic later on (or I just guessed it lmao).

It involved seeing a ring on a lady's finger.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

I noticed that Big Picture mentions a music player in the settings along with directories to scan for music, but I can't figure out how to access the player. How do you turn it on?

e:it's in the Library

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4DBA-E6A9-1115-7852

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So, is this it for the Lunar New Year sale? I remember previous ones being pretty big and flashy, with emotes and stickers even (not that I particularly care about those), and lots of stuff on sale.

Unless they're still gearing up for it, this seems rather dry.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I wouldn't be surprised if they decided they can slow the flow of the Sale Juice since November-January are already so packed with big sale events.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It was originally supposed to be cancelled in favour of a March sale but it looks like this one is an initiative from a publisher instead, rather than being a Valve thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

uiruki posted:

It was originally supposed to be cancelled in favour of a March sale but it looks like this one is an initiative from a publisher instead, rather than being a Valve thing.
It is. The next "big" Steam sale will be the Spring Sale in mid-March. There's gonna be a couple of smaller sale events in the intervening period, though:

Base Builder Fest: 23-30 Jan
Next Fest (aka Demos): 6-13 Feb
Mystery Fest: 20-27 Feb

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My Steam thinks I have like 30,000 songs in the music thing, but 99% of them are just files it it interprets as 0 seconds-long silence.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I see Endless Dungeon has a playable “OpenDev” thing for those who preorder at the higher tier. Anybody tried it? I loved Dungeon of the Endless.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Zero Seconds of Silence sounds like the next big JRPG

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I see Endless Dungeon has a playable “OpenDev” thing for those who preorder at the higher tier. Anybody tried it? I loved Dungeon of the Endless.

Has been a thing for most Amplitude games I think?

Also really interested in how the Endless Dungeon comes out. Dungeon of the Endless really has been kind of a low-key favourite for me too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

Needs a hyphen or a colon in there somewhere for a subtitle. Or maybe some more numbers.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

I did not realize this was a joke reply to something, so I actually googled it lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you've ever considered buying Factorio, buy it now. The price is going up $5 on Jan 26. It's good enough that I would still tell people to buy a 6 year old game AFTER the price increase, but definitely before.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

K8.0 posted:

If you've ever considered buying Factorio, buy it now. The price is going up $5 on Jan 26. It's good enough that I would still tell people to buy a 6 year old game AFTER the price increase, but definitely before.

They are raising the price of an older game that never goes on sale? What's up with that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

i'm 1h50m into finally trying out obra dinn and i'm 90% sure i've completely bounced off of it

its making me feel like a complete dumbshit inobservant idiot by telling me I can ID a guy with what i've seen, and i absolutely cannot

Yeah I got stuck in it after a few hours and I felt like I made a good call in looking up a guide when I found out that a ton of the stuff I was missing was from looking up extremely tiny, uninteresting details.

I probably would've stuck with it if navigating between and comparing the scenes wasn't such a pain. I just wanted to bring them up and scrub through them instead of using video game mechanics to do ethereal travel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kazil posted:

They are raising the price of an older game that never goes on sale? What's up with that?
Official reason is to account for inflation since the 2016 release.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I liked Obra Dinn but didn’t love it, mostly because unless you’re some kind of super genius you eventually have to start guessing. I got the majority of the people figured out, and did briefly did feel like a super genius when I figured out the hammock numbering thing. But towards the end there were so many that I had to just guess, and in one case the game kinda lies to you? There’s a diary or something that talks about one crew member getting torn apart by the monster, and there’s only one person shown getting torn apart, but nope, it’s not that guy, it’s one of the guys the monster is holding. I’m pretty sure there’s no way to logically figure out some of the people and you have to use inference/best guess like the fact that people hanging out together in the picture are probably part of the same group but in that kind of game I want 100% logic, and those ones really turned me off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Pirate Captain posted:

I liked Obra Dinn but didn’t love it, mostly because unless you’re some kind of super genius you eventually have to start guessing. I got the majority of the people figured out, and did briefly did feel like a super genius when I figured out the hammock numbering thing. But towards the end there were so many that I had to just guess, and in one case the game kinda lies to you? There’s a diary or something that talks about one crew member getting torn apart by the monster, and there’s only one person shown getting torn apart, but nope, it’s not that guy, it’s one of the guys the monster is holding. I’m pretty sure there’s no way to logically figure out some of the people and you have to use inference/best guess like the fact that people hanging out together in the picture are probably part of the same group but in that kind of game I want 100% logic, and those ones really turned me off.
You never have to guess anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

super-genius spotted

Estel
May 4, 2010
Everyone in Obra Dinn can be identified by logic. If you can't most of the time is because you haven't found the clues to do it or you have found them but don't recognise them as clues you need to identify someone.

The perfect example that I've seen most people get stuck is the guy with the tattoos. You need to have outside of the game knowledge to identify him, in this case knowing the kind of tattoos he has is a cultural thing but if you don't have that knowledge or don't make that connection you can identify him with the hammock numbers, specifically when someone dies his hammocks is removed so you know who is who.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've played Obra Dinn three times. The first time was blind, eventually succumbing to guessing at points. The second time, years later, I replayed it remembering the obvious solutions, but determined to figure out everyone else through pure deduction (even if I vaguely remembered who they were, I wouldn't punch it in until I was sure I'd found evidence). I actually managed to figure out everyone with four exceptions: the Chinese topmen, since the trick had been spoiled for me in a wayward comment section and I hadn't forgotten it.

Third time I officiated the game while someone else played. If they asked for hints, I'd nudge them gently in the right direction, "Maybe check another room," etc. We had a lot of fun.

Only one guy gets torn apart on-screen, but that one dude who's dying refers to "My Frenchman," and the guy who's pretty much always with him in every scene was wearing a striped French sailors outfit, so I concluded he was also torn apart. The guy we see getting torn apart though, at first I thought his tattoos were supposed to be Celtic.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I "cheated" midway through Obra Dinn by randomly picking triples of people as deckhands who drowned, which because of the Big Event, turned out to have a 50% chance of matching

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Kins posted:

Sounds dumb to me

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You guess in Obra Dinn all the time but in the sense of "I am 50-75% sure this guy is John Smith." The game is designed around making educated guesses but I don't think you ever have to guess randomly or get locked out of process of elimination.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kazil posted:

it's so kovarex can buy an encyclopedia to learn that statutory rape wasn't invented recently

they can be expensive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kins posted:

lol this is fuckin stupid

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

Sounds like another something that he probably decided to pick up from Uncle Bob.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I ain't sayin' it's a good reason. I'm just sayin' it's what they're sayin'.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deakul posted:

Sounds like another something that he probably decided to pick up from Uncle Bob.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's so kovarex can buy an encyclopedia to learn that statutory rape wasn't invented recently

they can be expensive

You can take your mild criticism and jokes about his childish overreactions and shove it up your rear end!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think i missed a beat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i think i missed a beat

he's a dumbass and i will always dunk on him (i also am not stopping anyone from buying factorio i just like to laugh at him)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 20, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is kovarex also the one who used to whine about cancel culture

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

i think i missed a beat

Hwurmp posted:

is kovarex also the one who used to whine about cancel culture

My quote was a paraphrase, he said "You can take your cancel culture and shove it up your rear end" and then doubled and tripled down on it. lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it ok to use key resellers for games with shithead devs? I want that upcoming Factorio expansion but also don’t want to support them

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ymgve posted:

Is it ok to use key resellers for games with shithead devs? I want that upcoming Factorio expansion but also don’t want to support them

I mean you'd just be supporting other scumbags instead. If you really don't want to pay for it, don't pay for it. wink.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

Does it cost more to package the bits

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ymgve posted:

just pirate it

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ymgve posted:

Only real issue is steam might just gently caress you out of a resold key.

Otherwise who cares? Piracy means "I dont have the money but I want the thing." Everything else is just garbage blowing around on an empty beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

just pirate it

Would be an acceptable solution if pirates didn’t stop releasing updates after the first couple patches