Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I try to only eat eggs on the weeks that they are healthy and not the weeks that they are killing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Grilling and smoking give you cancer, too.

Interestingly, you can make a filter out of a type of kitty litter that not only dramatically cuts down on cancer-causing chemicals in smoked food, but also makes it taste better

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That's why you need the soap residue in your food to clean out the bad stuff

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I have just discovered that greek yogurt can basically replace mayonnaise for me entirely. It won't make a massive change, but I don't view mayo as the healthiest thing to eat so I'm glad to cut it out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phigs posted:

I have just discovered that greek yogurt can basically replace mayonnaise for me entirely. It won't make a massive change, but I don't view mayo as the healthiest thing to eat so I'm glad to cut it out.

When making a potato salad I probably do 1/3 Mayo 2/3 yoghurt. The slight tanginess and creaminess work really well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It also makes a better sour cream than sour cream imo. And it’s cheaper.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do you guys soak your rice 30 mins before cooking? Does it give it a better texture? This is the first I’m hearing this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t. I have before and I didn’t notice a difference.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've tried it both ways and it's delicious

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Do you guys soak your rice 30 mins before cooking? Does it give it a better texture? This is the first I’m hearing this

I do for sushi rice, but no other types. Mainly because I enjoy the ritual of it, I’ve never tested whether it makes a difference

Serious Eats posted:

What about soaking? Soaking rice is supposed to be a useful method to reduce cooking time by facilitating water absorption and starch swelling up front. To test this concept, I cooked soaked (2 hours), rinsed, and unrinsed samples of rice using Souza’s method. In comparison to the rinsed rice control sample, the unrinsed rice was stickier and more dusty tasting. The soaked rice was softer and showed less distinct grains than the control. I attribute the texture of the soaked rice to an increased water-to-rice ratio: After weighing the drained soaked rice prior to cooking, I found that the rice absorbed up to 15 percent of water by weight. Was soaking worth it here? Not in this case. I don’t think it delivered a significantly superior result for the amount of time invested.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 18, 2023

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I soak rice when I'm making biryani and similar dishes.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Do any of ya'll pre-make veggie dressing?

Like, I'm eating more and more stuff I just mix with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake. Any reason not to just whip up a bottle of that dressing and store it at room temp?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tokenbrownguy posted:

Do any of ya'll pre-make veggie dressing?

Like, I'm eating more and more stuff I just mix with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake. Any reason not to just whip up a bottle of that dressing and store it at room temp?

My wife does that with vinaigrette. None of the ingredients need refrigeration alone so shouldn’t when mixed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mountaindew/status/1616090204116504582?s=46&t=5EvKV4eyewBXXP4Kc1TzhQ

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

therattle posted:

My wife does that with vinaigrette. None of the ingredients need refrigeration alone so shouldn’t when mixed.

Either way why don't you do it anyway and keep it in a jar in the fridge?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If it’s only oil and s&p I don’t really think you’ll be saving that much time by batching it. And then you’d have to worry about spice distribution. It’s a lot easier to get the right amount of salt and pepper in the right places if they’re not suspended in oil.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tilp posted:

Either way why don't you do it anyway and keep it in a jar in the fridge?

Principle. We’re very principled people

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hello everyone I am a time traveler from the year 2123 here to tell you all that in the future most animals have been destroyed by diseases and now we eat cricket as our main source of protein

They come in many delicious flavors. This one is curry flavored. Cricket is dried and powderized, no discernible body parts

Your future culinary destiny awaits!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

whose eyeball is that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

This is Nori, my friend found her eating napkins and drinking gutter water on the street so I took her in

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The cricket/bug thing is funny to me, because I'm not that opposed to eating them at all and have frequently been kind of interested in seeing if I'd enjoy a bug based dish. It's not really that gross to me or anything. But the people trying to sell them as the food of the future also simultaneously charge a fortune for it and tbh it's not all that appealing. The gas station across the street from me briefly had an entire stand full of bug based snacks like chili lime crickets etc. and I didn't see a single one of them ever move. I asked the clerk and she had never seen anyone buy one and she said no. The stand has since disappeared. But it was also like $5 for half an ounce of dried crickets. They try to sell it as some cheap sustainable protein but at this point in time I honestly don't see how it's viable or anything beyond a novelty/ gross out thing. Cricket evangelist companies can't seem to source them at a sane price at all.

A+ cute dog btw.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wait until this guy learns what a shrimp is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it makes sense that the economies of scale are just not there yet when it comes to making bugs to eat in countries that don't eat a lot of bugs. just looked up cricket flour on amazon and it's multiple dollars per ounce lol

there's also ways various bugs fit into sustainable food production that don't ever involve mass producing them, just using them as a way to recycle agricultural waste. like i was watching a video of a coffee farmer in Indonesia who had a terrifying bug-tent where he'd throw spent coffee cherries and inoculate them with soldier fly larvae, not because anyone's eating those flies but because their maggots would consume the spent fruit and then chickens turn the maggots into calories and fertilizer

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 20, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah exactly. I could see it shifting somewhat in the direction of being affordable if demand increased, but it's just funny to me how companies are choosing to market this stuff. I've read and listened to multiple interviews with cricket producers and they always try to sell it as this thing that we should get used to now, because eventually it's going to be the only option or something. I'd just like one of them to actually explain the logistics of a world where it makes more sense to farm 5000 crickets over a single lb of chicken, beef or pork because thats what it takes to make a pound of cricket product (which currently costs $40-$50).

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Wait until this guy learns what a shrimp is.

Not sure how this relates at all to a post where I'm saying I'm interested in insect based foods, but the outrageous prices don't line up with the narrative the companies that produce them are pushing, but ok.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Because they're bugs OP. Once people figure out grubs are delicious and can overcome eating a cricket taco, they'll be more widely available than in larger cities or some professional sports arenas.

Who hasn't had a chocolate covered ant? I thought that was a part of childhood.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can also just go out and get bugs. You don't need to buy them from a startup or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do people actually eat the big black crickets? Seems like they would have a bad texture.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I took a beekeeping course at university, and my professor threatened to cook scrambled bee brood, but she never followed through. It's a Thai thing. As part of her travels she tried lots of bee things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bee larvae are supposedly very buttery from all accounts I’ve heard

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

People love BBC

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

I took a beekeeping course at university, and my professor threatened to cook scrambled bee brood, but she never followed through. It's a Thai thing. As part of her travels she tried lots of bee things.
Good avatar/post combination

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow I dehydrated basil leaves and it’s basically dust, no smell at all

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
The biggest dumb thing with eating crickets is that they're still less sustainable and healthy than lentils and lentils are delicious.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't worry we will instead genetically modify locusts to eat garbage and lose control

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Don't worry we will instead genetically modify locusts to eat garbage and lose control

I saw Relic in theatres.

It sucked.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7179047187177819438

Apparently Braggs Apple cider vinegar got bought by Katy Perry and now people are up in arms because they claim it’s diluted

https://twitter.com/siteprotagonist/status/1609681623640850437?s=46&t=KR-cmSTHZYc3IinNtOX1gg

Might go to the grocery to see for myself

Ok I went to the store, old bottle says 5% acidity, store bottle says 5% acidity, this is probably some stupid made up bs

Lol it might be that the old bottle in people’s pantries is more potent because the vinegar has been fermenting longer

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steve Yun posted:

Wow I dehydrated basil leaves and it’s basically dust, no smell at all
How disappointing! How did you dry them?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steve Yun posted:

Ok I went to the store, old bottle says 5% acidity, store bottle says 5% acidity, this is probably some stupid made up bs

Lol it might be that the old bottle in people’s pantries is more potent because the vinegar has been fermenting longer

Maybe they mean the flavor, and it's been cut with cheaper regular vinegar

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7185321805022874886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How disappointing! How did you dry them?

Good ol ronco

My store bought dry basil has way more smell

Maybe I need to dehydrate it right away after buying. I waited two days