Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've never seen people bother trying to scam on reverb before. I guess it happens everywhere eventually.

i had three bots message me with scams within thirty seconds of posting a strat on reverb recently

one of them used the same message on two different accounts with different names, and the name in the message didn't match the name on the accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, activity like that on Reverb that is almost certainly a scam. Why wouldn’t they just use one of the provided payment methods? Maybe I shouldn’t try selling a few things there.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Scammers move wherever people move, afaik Reverb isn't inherently encouraging it with lax policies or anything.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

i had three bots message me with scams within thirty seconds of posting a strat on reverb recently

one of them used the same message on two different accounts with different names, and the name in the message didn't match the name on the accounts.

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, activity like that on Reverb that is almost certainly a scam. Why wouldn’t they just use one of the provided payment methods? Maybe I shouldn’t try selling a few things there.

Like Luchadornado says, it's really I guess more on me for engaging with a clear scam account. No feedback/purchases. 99% of my transactions have been perfect through them so far. I hope this is just a one off/me being too lax in responding to offers.

I don't like hearing it's common though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My Strat Pro II came in today and I really like the push-push button for the 1/2 positions on the pickup switch. The guitar plays like a dream and I played enough today to make my fingers hurt, something I didn't know was still possible.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Love the am pro 2 necks. I think the Strat one has a little different radius than the tele but still. It’s got a certain thickness that I find appealing.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok I admit it. It was a bad joke about my resistance to selling any guitars. I probably should though. Every time I do though I go looking for another. Hmm.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

nitsuga posted:

Ok I admit it. It was a bad joke about my resistance to selling any guitars. I probably should though. Every time I do though I go looking for another. Hmm.

GAS is really just the story of guitarists who trade their way up from walmart brand guitars to vintage American made gear

like the paperclip trade for a house story

except I'm sure if you add up all my buying and selling I am far, far, far from breaking even, let alone profiting

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

GAS is really just the story of guitarists who trade their way up from walmart brand guitars to vintage American made gear

like the paperclip trade for a house story

except I'm sure if you add up all my buying and selling I am far, far, far from breaking even, let alone profiting
im the poster child of GAS i feel its in my power to say GAS is when you buy a rosewood board am pro ii one year but the next year decide you want also a maple board so you get an american vintage ii... but it's a quality fender that looks like it was drilled by a 3 year old, so you return it and then get a maple mim. That's when you get the bright idea to spend the 'savings' on the amp of your dreams .. but then realize the amp of your dreams really needs at the very least 8 pedals to get the effects you already had built into your practice mod amp

in my defense i didnt buy a guitar or amp from 2009 to 2021 so i bet if you total up over decades im still under some of you :)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If you're not buying a new pedal every month that money will all be wasted when robots destroy humanity in 2047.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I haven't purchased anything guitar related in about two and a half years :)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Any opinions on the Positive Grid Spark for a total beginner as a teaching/practice amp? Reviews are variable but some of the features sound useful to me.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Any opinions on the Positive Grid Spark for a total beginner as a teaching/practice amp? Reviews are variable but some of the features sound useful to me.

They're great but I think there's better modeling amps out there for the cash. The Katana series (obviously), or my favorite- the original Peavey Vypyr series. You can find a used one for under 100 bucks and they sound awesome.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Has anyone tried buyorborrowmusic.com for renting guitar pedals? Seems kind of cool like old school netflix for gear? I’m really not sure what I want to buy yet so this is pretty appealing to me since I don’t have time to go to a shop and I get to test out pedals with my actual amp and guitar. $20/mo is a bit steep but for a one or two off seems reasonable.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Seems OK within reason. You can rent Behringer pedals, which is ludicrous, but I could see the value for trying out expensive gear. I’d say do it and post a trip report.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gramps posted:

They're great but I think there's better modeling amps out there for the cash. The Katana series (obviously), or my favorite- the original Peavey Vypyr series. You can find a used one for under 100 bucks and they sound awesome.

I'm in the UK and the Peaveys are hard to come by, eBay has a few but not with delivery or close enough to collect. The Spark Mini is currently just over £150 at the moment, which is much cheaper than the Katana 50. It's a chunk more than a Katana Mini but seems much better from what I can find from comparisons.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My Spark been totally satisfactory. I didn’t totally gel with the Katana, mostly the FX knobs irked me and I wanted something smaller. I’d give the Spark a go from the sounds of it.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Yeah what pushed me to the Spark over the Katana was the ease of use on the app and all the community tones that are available without much fuss. Very pleased with it. I still have a tube amp but I love the Spark for what it is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wow a Epiphone 339 for £200!

Oh wait

Just as well since I got this the other day:

Really good deal on eBay, seller just got their own deal on a Gibson Thunderbird and moved it on after 6 months. Loving the locking tuners, great shape and finish, feels lovely in hand. Glad I went for this over the satin finish I tried out, I like the look better and the satin neck felt funny.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wow a Epiphone 339 for £200!

Oh wait

That’ll buff out. I know what I have.

Edit: lol at the 12th fret of the Warlock.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 20, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think I hit on something theorywise today, but I might be off base:

When playing arpeggios, you can just play the chord tones in the scale, right? You don't necessarily have to change from full chord shape to full chord shape?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yep, an arpeggio is just the notes of a chord played in any sequence. Knowing your arpeggios inside scale patterns is a big deal. It lets you play arpeggios in non-CAGED chords easily and lets you start thinking and playing stuff like passing tones and outside notes really easily over a progression without leaving a position.

You take (what I think of as) your first basic positional two-octave C major scale in 7th position:

code:
BC-D
-G-A
D-EF
A-BC
EF-G
BC-D
And start drilling

CEGCEGC
CFACFAC
BDGBDGBD

Now you can arpeggiate over a I-VI-V in every key in one positionwithout leaving a position, plus spice it up with other notes.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 20, 2023

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

TheMightyBoops posted:

That's an Mick Thompson M7 Warlock signature. Don't think they're worth anything but paired with some JNCOs you'd be mega cool in 2001.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TheMightyBoops posted:

Realtalk, it's unsalvageable right? I mean the neck will cost more than a new one to replace? That's even before I remembered just now that it's set neck.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

BizarroAzrael posted:

Realtalk, it's unsalvageable right? I mean the neck will cost more than a new one to replace? That's even before I remembered just now that it's set neck.

Yeah the guitar is 500 ish USD brand new.

Edit: that happens to Gibsons all the time and it could be repaired, but that’s a massive ripoff.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 20, 2023

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Given my new (to me) RG655 has pickups I don’t really like I figured I’ll swap out the pickups on both my guitars. My other guitar is a Squier Contemporary Tele with a humbucker in the neck and a weird Tele-bucker thing in the bridge. Are sets of pickups necessary or better? I don’t think anyone does a set of that combination.

Also does anyone know where the stock pickups of that guitar sit in the output side? I think they are kind of high and a bit boomy.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've heard of people having good luck gluing those back together, but it's hard to tell. I would probably pay max $100 for it as a fun project.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My understanding is it depends on the break, but if it's the right kind of break it's actually very fixable and will probably stronger after repair than it was new.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Which is not to say it's a good deal

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

e/n:

-do not have a job despite my best efforts so i can't even afford a replacement screw or saddle for this loving guitar's bridge
-motivation to write at all time low because god forbid i try to play a G#m or something and i get BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ
-got a speeding ticket because i was trying to clear my head from the loving insane situation that is living in the house that i do with the family i do

falling

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm working on a metal sound for I Am the Law.

Tone Zone into two Joyo products is scratching the itch. King of Kings OD into Zombie miniamp is ridic.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That reminds me, to the goon that recommended the Friedman BE-OD - that thing is metal as hell and I love it.

landgrabber, I hope poo poo gets better soon. No advice here, just sympathy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I found the most beautiful finish, Fender Dark Night:

Of loving course, the telecasters don't have it as an option for lefties. It's not even an option in the custom shop. Eat poo poo, Fender. I'm debating getting a strat body and smashing a tele bridge plate onto it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

luchadornado posted:

I found the most beautiful finish, Fender Dark Night:

Of loving course, the telecasters don't have it as an option for lefties. It's not even an option in the custom shop. Eat poo poo, Fender. I'm debating getting a strat body and smashing a tele bridge plate onto it.

This is my exact telecaster spec. If it's any consolation it looks cooler in photos than in person - the blue is more bright/less subtle.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
First time I saw that Fender color I immediately thought of the Strat and P-Bass copies sold under the Lotus name in the late 80s/early 90s like this one

https://reverb.com/item/62437386-lotus-stratocaster-1990s-blue-to-black-burst-w-free-pro-setup

It is really, really close to the Fender version. There was also a "reverse" silver-grey burst, which I have had a few of, but I really want one of the blue ones if I can find one cheap enough.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

widefault posted:

First time I saw that Fender color I immediately thought of the Strat and P-Bass copies sold under the Lotus name in the late 80s/early 90s like this one

https://reverb.com/item/62437386-lotus-stratocaster-1990s-blue-to-black-burst-w-free-pro-setup

It is really, really close to the Fender version. There was also a "reverse" silver-grey burst, which I have had a few of, but I really want one of the blue ones if I can find one cheap enough.

Ironically, the guitar in this ad looks more like the Fender paintjob in real life than the Fender photo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Suddenly glad I picked miami blue over dark night way back in the halcyon days of two years ago, since both are an option for left handed jazz basses. Good to know guitar makers are still weird about what colors and models they deign to allow left handed people to have as well.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Suddenly glad I picked miami blue over dark night way back in the halcyon days of two years ago, since both are an option for left handed jazz basses. Good to know guitar makers are still weird about what colors and models they deign to allow left handed people to have as well.

Black, white, tobacco burst... Sometimes red.
We are spoiled for choice

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my am pro ii is 3 tone sunburst and i regretted that color but after recently changing the pickguard to a more classic white (looks a bit offwhite really) from tortoise, it actually looks quite nice irl now.... better than i thought it would. my other sunburst guitars were either 2 color and/or somehow don't look as good. but the am pro coat looks closer to '62ish 3 color like you would get on the custom shops or ultra.

something about the tortoise and sunburst combo just really just didnt' do it for me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Speaking of paint jobs my Strat that’s the only guitar I’ve owned that I liked the paint job on fell off the strap and I chipped the bottom.

This one: