Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going for the police vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
A creep and ignorant to boot, Gauguin did his creeping in Tahiti not the Phillipines.

I was teasing Owl, assumed you'd been got by an American spellcheck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just my brain alas, I used to be flawless at spelling when I was younger and as I've gotten older it's gotten steadily worse, and I'm not sure if it is because I have more words to remember or if my brain is just dying.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Same.
I just reckon I'm becoming more Elizabethan with age, that there Shakespeare couldn't even spell his own name the same way consistently.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think its probably mostly the overwhelming desire to be condescending that increases with age.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What the gently caress is "We'll maybe put a word out for her," that's out the other side of creepy and straight into sinister.

OwlFancier posted:

as I've gotten older it's gotten steadily worse
Oh hey, a universal descriptor of everything in my life.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think its probably mostly the overwhelming desire to be condescending that increases with age.

Ah, but you would think that wouldn't you?

Alternatively,

That's a terrible thing to say about Jaeluni, you take that back at once.

Also, Holy poo poo I appear to have influenced the thread title.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh hey, a universal descriptor of everything in my life.

Sometimes things also get worse rapidly in a short period of time, so it's not all the same.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

I actually think that, just like the Australian Dream-time stories have detailed descriptions of mega fauna that have been extinct for tens of thousands of years, European folk tales about trolls and ogres are memories of Neanderthals.

I like this idea quite a lot, except I think those big old guys would be a chill bunch and not bad tempered trolls.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wait wait wait.

Are you telling me

That the last ten years of the Labour Right throwing shitfits and self sabotaging

Was just because it was an obstacle for their Jobs for the boys!!?!?!?

This came out of nowhere

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/LaikaAlan/status/1616338601213583361

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Albinator posted:

I like this idea quite a lot, except I think those big old guys would be a chill bunch and not bad tempered trolls.

If you're of European or Asian background you have 1-3 percent neanderthal DNA.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

JoylessJester posted:

Peer-reviewed bastion of scientific integrity 23AndMe told me I have more Neanderthan DNA than 99.5% of their customers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like the hypothesis that neanderthals may have been individually larger and smarter but they were far less social and therefore less adaptable.

Like a big Joe Rogan being taken down by a dozen small Alexandrias Ocasio-Cortez.

Subscribe to my Patreon for more fan art.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Scotlab do insist on continually trying to resurrect the career of Frank Mcaveety.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

No loving way Kier would be that cool.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JGiftmacher/status/1616332055318519808?s=19

Continuity Tory Party

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

I like the hypothesis that neanderthals may have been individually larger and smarter but they were far less social and therefore less adaptable.

or goons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's no evidence of them pissing in bottles.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Has the forum changed how it displays on an iPad? It’s all zoomed in for me now.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

how about we change rapist dave’s nickname to friendly dave?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like they looked at the RUC to PSNI reform process and ignored everything but the name and logo change.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Guavanaut posted:

It's like they looked at the RUC to PSNI reform process and ignored everything but the name and logo change.

Or they looked at the Hermes to Evri rebranding and thought "hey that went great!"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Nilbop posted:

God I remember we were openly encouraged to kill black and grey squirrels here in Norn Iron. Which to be fair seems to have worked compared to whatever the gently caress they attempted in England and Wales.

... Although now that I think of it someone did once tell me that the reintroduction of the Pine Martin to Ireland did most of the work, rather than the stones I hucked at the wee skitters.

edit: loving goddamnit

We are now trialling giving them contraceptives to bring down their numbers.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55817385

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thought this was still about the police for a second.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

how about we change rapist dave’s nickname to friendly dave?

Rapey Dave is now known as Keeps It In His Pants Dave

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/BalthazarBlaze/status/1616369923277881355?t=bCah4EwhXO00ARs6XnrUbQ&s=19

Next book "GRT people don't matter" but unironically. Man's a poo poo.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1616343266630180864

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone big man until Willie steps into the ring

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I'll fight him in Cage Of Death.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

CUNTFORCE

also someone put some knuckledusters in Bray's gloves. I hope Anderson gets punched juuuust right to cause an embolism to seize up an artery and death on the spot. Only then do I want the ref to count to 10.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 20, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^° yeah what you said, lol

I really hope Bray takes the fight. He probably doesn't have the weight but Anderson doesn't look particularly hard and there's a non-zero chance that Bray could give him a life-limiting injury

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

also someone put some knuckledusters in Bray's gloves. I hope Anderson gets punched juuuust right to cause an embolism to seize up an artery and death on the spot. Only then do I want the ref to count to 10.
Even if he doesn't die, he has to wait for an NHS ambulance to take him to an overloaded A&E.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hoping for the rare double KO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWIS1dWrI3k

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a pro click:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1616399998241099784

[edit: Warning, also contains Julie Heartless Brewer spouting covid denialist bullshit]

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 20, 2023

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Neanderthal derail slight return.

Albinator posted:

I reckon that just like us they had the whole spectrum of individual character types. Some would have been totally chill and cool, others complete raging arseholes. Stories, being about drama, would focus on more extreme encounters so we don't get as many about, "that time we hung out and sang songs with the big dudes". There are some stories with helpful trolls and giants too.

JoylessJester posted:

Lunar Suite posted:

Peer-reviewed bastion of scientific integrity 23AndMe told me I have more Neanderthan DNA than 99.5% of their customers.

Yeah. Embrace your Neanderthal heritage!
We used to think the "very pale does-not-suntan skin with red hair" phenotype most common in western and northern Europe was a Neanderthal trait but I think that has changed now. As someone with a six foot, chalk-white with freckles, flaming red haired mother I'd like it to be true.
What I don't know is if the genetic markers we have for them are mainly mitochondrial (female line) or Y chromosome (male line) or an equal mix. If the mixing has a bias one way or the other it would have ramifications for how we picture it happening.

Guavanaut posted:

Like a big Joe Rogan being taken down by a dozen small Alexandrias Ocasio-Cortez.

Subscribe to my Patreon for more fan art.

Don't know about the smarter, they do have a larger average brain size but that's a poor proxy for measuring intelligence. They were probably cognitively different (different but equal imo), e.g. their sites are far less structured than contemporary early anatomically modern ones. Moderns tend to have discreet areas for different things (make tools here, rubbish goes here, food prep here etc.) while Neanderthals seem to have just done anything anywhere in a big mess. (so yes, proto-goons :D )
They were definitely social, we have sites with carefully (tenderly even) buried remains, sometimes with multiple individuals over time. This famous dude Shanidar I also proves that they looked after their own since he lived to a fair age despite some pretty severe disabilities.

Cool fact, we have more evidence for pre anatomically modern hominins looking after each other than we do for hominin on hominin violence. Our distant ancestors were nice guys and gals.

Funnily enough "a big Joe Rogan being taken down by a dozen small Alexandrias Ocasio-Cortez" is a drat good description of how we think Neanderthals hunted.
We have no strong evidence for them having projectile weapons, there may be some possible wooden spear points now but I'm not up-to-date. This has big implications for how the hell they hunted the big animals that we know they did.

Trinkaus and his team did a study of all extant Neanderthal skeletal material finding a consistent pattern of healed fractures in certain places. Comparing this to modern populations the closest match is in wrestlers and rodeo riders. In his words (paraphrased) " this is a population that had frequent close quarter interactions with large angry animals". So it looks like they simply mobbed the musk ox/mammoth/whatever and just battered away with hand axes and the like.
Hard core.

That's probably enough of my prolix Neanderthal fanboying now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

EmptyVessel posted:

Neanderthal derail slight return.

That's probably enough of my prolix Neanderthal fanboying now.

No, please go on! This thread doesn’t mind me blabbering about fudge, and this is about a billion times more interesting. Dump your knowledge on us!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Neanderthals (or rather, their dna) play a minor side role in a great scifi book I just finished reading called Seveneaves. It's a pretty epic tome clicking in at 900 pages but it is just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Camrath posted:

No, please go on! This thread doesn’t mind me blabbering about fudge, and this is about a billion times more interesting. Dump your knowledge on us!

:hai: