Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've got a ton of MI stuff, I love how they look over a lot of the clones. I haven't put custom firmware on any of them, I haven't liked how menu-divey the custom firmware tends to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The only MI thing I'm missing to really complete a system for me is Marbles and holy crap original ones are going for $600 on Reverb right now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I wish I could DIY a Marbles, but those use 0402 sized components and NOPE!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I went into town today and discovered we have a used gear store now. They had an original TR-909 for the low price of $6500. I didn't find any amazing deals but they've got some pretty good old gear. They let me play their polysix and honestly I don't know what the hype is all about.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Chainclaw posted:

I've got a ton of MI stuff, I love how they look over a lot of the clones. I haven't put custom firmware on any of them, I haven't liked how menu-divey the custom firmware tends to be.

Nice block, dude! I'd love to lay hands on one of those one day.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I got a Dirtywave m8, and I love it, and take it everywhere, but it's had a sort-of negative downside due to being so portable and easy and fun to use: I've come to the hard realization that I have just too much loving gear, so I'm slowly starting to pull out a bunch of stuff that I haven't touched in a while and test it, and I'm basically intending on selling anything I don't see myself using in the next three months. It's kind of demoralizing to realize just how badly I've given into GAS over the years, and how little I used some fairly nice gear. There was a time when I was doing a lot of audio stuff for a living that it made sense to have a big palette of gear, but I'm just not at that place anymore.

I guess this post is just me bitching about having too much gear! But also being sad about getting around to selling a bunch, even though I haven't used a lot of it much at all, at least not as much as it deserves. Hopefully I can make some decent money out of basically cutting my studio setup down by 2/3rds or so. GAS + an audio job + decades of undiagnosed ADHD is a dangerous combination for a synth nerd.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Startyde posted:

Not to get you excited or anything but master paults is retiring from euro. Were I interested, I would not tarry.

This was why I got the e352 and e520. I'd love the 4x352 but I am not sure that another VCO is a good use of $1200 right now.

He actually called me when I emailed with a question about my 352 and he said he'd continue to take our calls for as long as he's able ;)

Rene's C channel is quite a thing to figure out how to leverage. This is fine because it's almost a "bonus" set of triggers, the device would be 100% fine at its price point just with X/Y, snake, states (that would still be substantially more powerful in some ways than the v1).

My feeling is that making the C channel sound good means having your X & Y channels be musically related in very specific ways, so, just getting two things going at once and getting used to that and trying to have it sound good through various transitions is my current goal. Weirdly I find this thing easier to work with than KSP/BSP sequencing; it's certainly less precise (tune your oscillators before you start, beyond that you're tuning by ear unless you turn off all quantization and check every note with a scope), but I also feel like I can make a related 2-sequence pattern in 2 different-but-related clock speeds, copy that 15 times and then make a bunch of at least slightly interesting alterations to it stupid quickly. It also lends itself to realtime/performative manipulation in ways that the more traditional step sequencers do not.

this was loving around with loopman radio static and then rene sequencing, but the 3 VCOs here (Plaits, Hydrasynth, E352 in the order heard) are being controlled by the Y, C, X channels of Rene and the pattern transitions are scripted, so this was all hands off except for turning the reverb on the e352 up and down a couple times.

I think if I can wrap my head around getting to, say, 32 different, related interesting states with transitions between them and also tie that to Tempi states that bring drums in and out, I'm going to be getting somewhere. Already feel more confident with this sequencer after 2 weeks than I do with KSP after 3 months (and that after 3 years of owning a BSP).

Likely to keep the KSP and maybe sell the BSP, how many sequencers do I need? SQ64 may be legit better than beatstep.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah I feel like Emilie really set the stage for Eurorack to come,

100%. so so so many people got their start building her boards cause the no hand-holding thing meant you had to learn fabs and supply chains and stuff... but it was also worth it. ubraids was a sea-change moment for the format

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

cool thing about the clones is if you're handy w/ a PCB layout or an etcher they can be anything you want. I'm working on some gargoyles panels to match all my OG wiard/malekko.

have you gotten the NW-1 to do anything you like? I got one in a trade and other than that one monk chant table (which is unfortunately not worth the hp) it's just reminding me why I got rid of my blofeld. also does it ever like not wanna load wavetables til you restart it? Not sure if its typical waldorf poo poo or mine had a rough life

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

cool thing about the clones is if you're handy w/ a PCB layout or an etcher they can be anything you want. I'm working on some gargoyles panels to match all my OG wiard/malekko.

have you gotten the NW-1 to do anything you like? I got one in a trade and other than that one monk chant table (which is unfortunately not worth the hp) it's just reminding me why I got rid of my blofeld. also does it ever like not wanna load wavetables til you restart it? Not sure if its typical waldorf poo poo or mine had a rough life

I love my NW-1, I haven't had any problems with it. Sometimes it's a bit of a challenge to get a wavetable to fit the rest of what I have going on, or it overly dominates everything. I haven't done anything recently because I'm trying to focus on less hobbies at once, so I'm knee deep in building a Sega Genesis homebrew game.

I think I used the NW-1 a bit in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvQpPc7CW7M

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

So I got a Dirtywave m8...

Feel you big time, dawg.

I'm getting really close to selling all my eurorack stuff. Keeping the m8, norns and some controllers (16n, arc, grid, and an omx-27).

It feels really lame because I just kinda got to a point where I was happy with my rack. I also feel dumb selling a bunch of stuff that is probably going to appreciate in value considerably over the next few years.

If selling cases were easier I'd just get a 104hp 4U pallette and keep all the mannequins, monome modules around since they are a lot of fun.

At the same rate, though, I find myself having so much more fun with the m8.

I just have this ridiculous meditation box, the rack, that I could fund multiple dirtbag cars with.

Having no formal training or experience with music whatsoever, I often think I've just replaced video games with music games - and it doesn't feel right dumping more money on a silly hobby.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Having no formal training or experience with music whatsoever, I often think I've just replaced video games with music games -

:hmmyes:

quote:

and it doesn't feel right dumping more money on a silly hobby.
:getout:

Technically I played in band and marching band for like 8 years and then took guitar lessons for a year so I can't really claim "no experience" but I was always a Pretty Bad Woodwind player and it took a lot of dicking with sine waves to start to see any similarities whatsoever between what I was doing and what I remember about poco a poco (and being kind of stoned a lot of the time, junior and senior year, since it was first period and we'd smoke in front of the church across the street).

I have some interest in slowly continuing to plod along with FlowKey and learn middling piano skills, though. Just being able to play soft chords seems cathartic :shrug:

If you ditch modules at a decent price let us know :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm insanely happy with my M8 too. It killed off any GAS I might have had.

It's got a workflow that clicks in my head, it's small and portable, it's got a good range of sounds and if there's ever any sound it can't make I can use it to midi control anything that can make that sound.

It isn't for everyone we all got our own happy place but it's definitely for me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Feel you big time, dawg.

I'm getting really close to selling all my eurorack stuff. Keeping the m8, norns and some controllers (16n, arc, grid, and an omx-27).

It feels really lame because I just kinda got to a point where I was happy with my rack. I also feel dumb selling a bunch of stuff that is probably going to appreciate in value considerably over the next few years.

If selling cases were easier I'd just get a 104hp 4U pallette and keep all the mannequins, monome modules around since they are a lot of fun.

At the same rate, though, I find myself having so much more fun with the m8.

I just have this ridiculous meditation box, the rack, that I could fund multiple dirtbag cars with.

Having no formal training or experience with music whatsoever, I often think I've just replaced video games with music games - and it doesn't feel right dumping more money on a silly hobby.

I don't think I'll sell my Eurorack stuff mostly because it's still so drastically different from anything else I have, though I don't have a great setup anyway. But I'm still probably going to sell off some gear I was super excited about, and remain excited about, I just have come to terms with the fact that I don't have enough time to learn it all and that time isn't going to magically manifest out of the universe some day.

edit: speaking of, where are the good places to sell gear these days? I'm in a discord with a solid buy/trade/sell channel, and some of it I'll likely have to put up on Reverb anyway, but I'd like to avoid Reverb fees as much as possible (and avoid getting hit with a 1099-K this year, too)

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think I'll sell my Eurorack stuff mostly because it's still so drastically different from anything else I have, though I don't have a great setup anyway. But I'm still probably going to sell off some gear I was super excited about, and remain excited about, I just have come to terms with the fact that I don't have enough time to learn it all and that time isn't going to magically manifest out of the universe some day.

Yeah, this is a big thing for me. I develop an excessive amount of anxiety when I have a bunch of poo poo I kinda know what I'm doing with. I'd rather be a ninja with one thing than have a million options.

Building a track on the rack has also been a struggle - I realize it's kinda counter intuitive, but atomizing all the sounds and messing them with them after the fact just isn't much fun.

I also need to learn how to use a DAW at some point, though.

MockingQuantum posted:

edit: speaking of, where are the good places to sell gear these days? I'm in a discord with a solid buy/trade/sell channel, and some of it I'll likely have to put up on Reverb anyway, but I'd like to avoid Reverb fees as much as possible (and avoid getting hit with a 1099-K this year, too)

Discord is best, facebook is a far flung alternative second. gently caress reverb. Hit me up if you want, I probably have a few other channels I can share with you.

And yeah, I'll let y'all know (https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2120444.jpg this is what I'll end up tossing, though probably just the top half and the erd if I'm being honest with myself)

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 18, 2023

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I wish I could DIY a Marbles, but those use 0402 sized components and NOPE!

I want an Antumbra Cara and Smog (Marbles and Clouds), so I think I am going to have to get this SMD stuff figured out.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I would love to know what discord people are using, I have a few things I was going to list on reverb soon

(edit: an 0-coast and an Ochd in case anyone itt is interested :))

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I also need to learn how to use a DAW at some point, though.

sometimes I feel that way and then I watch this video again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqNjtqccPA&t=3056s

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

edgar_ posted:

I would love to know what discord people are using, I have a few things I was going to list on reverb soon

(edit: an 0-coast and an Ochd in case anyone itt is interested :))

modwiggler.com has an associated discord that I have bought and sold eurorack modules through with no fuss

I can always use more LFOs, dunno what you're looking for on the 0chd. I am trying to hold off on purchases until I have enough dimes squirreled away for another rack and some stuff to put in it, I am only like halfway there.

I am thinking of selling my beatstep pro, I removed it from my setup 2-3 weeks ago after not touching it for a month. Still have the box, all cables and a decksaver for it.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 19, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

sometimes I feel that way and then I watch this video again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqNjtqccPA&t=3056s
Similarly
https://youtube.com/watch?v=4hGV5cVf8IY&feature=shares

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t plan on playing live, so.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

The only MI thing I'm missing to really complete a system for me is Marbles and holy crap original ones are going for $600 on Reverb right now.

I panic bought a brand new marbles from the last run and I'm so glad I did. I just put a new firmware on it to make the 3 CV outputs do chords and I'm having so much fun layering Plaits and Rings. I run both of those into a Veils and use Tides to modulate the levels. I still want a Beads to finish up the MI rack but the prices for that are also crazy

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

similarly similarly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_UjC6Sf1WQ

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Heck I've seen whole albums made just on a M8 or two. That box is insane. Can't wait til pay day to order my Teensy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LzUNaYzWY

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOueMkZr5fE

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sitting here all smug over people finally realizing how dope trackers are. :smugdog:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Does the M8 tracker have a way to conditionally trigger a note based on whether the previous note was triggered? Use that quite a bit on my Digitakt but I'm not seeing anything similar with the M8.

I like making single bar loops with a lot of conditional triggers to make it feel longer but all I'm seeing is the 'Chance' effect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CRAYON posted:

Does the M8 tracker have a way to conditionally trigger a note based on whether the previous note was triggered? Use that quite a bit on my Digitakt but I'm not seeing anything similar with the M8.

I like making single bar loops with a lot of conditional triggers to make it feel longer but all I'm seeing is the 'Chance' effect.

Look at the NTH command, it lets you set up an event triggering after a certain number of passes. It also has NTH 00 to reset any counters on that track you have running. I don't think that gets you digitakt conditional triggers though.

There's also some quirks that can be exploited. Like if you do this:

If the CHA command does not trigger the note on line 1, then the RET command will apply to the note on line 0 (if the chance succeeds for the right side).

Still not exactly what you're after so I'm just trying to point out there's still a lot of generative options to play with.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stabbing Spork posted:

I panic bought a brand new marbles from the last run and I'm so glad I did. I just put a new firmware on it to make the 3 CV outputs do chords and I'm having so much fun layering Plaits and Rings. I run both of those into a Veils and use Tides to modulate the levels. I still want a Beads to finish up the MI rack but the prices for that are also crazy

?? I see Beads on Reverb new for 359 which is MSRP afaik? Multiple vendors but not a ton of volume, if you want one I would probably act.

I like MI faceplates but if I ever get a Marbles it will be Momo or something, less than half the price. gently caress, for that matter if Beads is ever selling for $600 and clones of it actually exist for half that I will sell it :shrug:

Honestly if I could ever sell beads for significantly more than a mimeophon I think I'd just magic it away into another mimeophon :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 20, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dexefiend posted:

I want an Antumbra Cara and Smog (Marbles and Clouds), so I think I am going to have to get this SMD stuff figured out.

Being an eternal optimist I picked up a marbles pcb & faceplate and am waiting for components to stabilize and to finish some of these other modules.. but I'm not eager to populate a dense board of 0402 components.

That being said, I honestly prefer smd over through hole components, they're so much easier to work with above 0805.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Cabbages and Kings posted:

?? I see Beads on Reverb new for 359 which is MSRP afaik? Multiple vendors but not a ton of volume, if you want one I would probably act.

I like MI faceplates but if I ever get a Marbles it will be Momo or something, less than half the price. gently caress, for that matter if Beads is ever selling for $600 and clones of it actually exist for half that I will sell it :shrug:

Honestly if I could ever sell beads for significantly more than a mimeophon I think I'd just magic it away into another mimeophon :allears:

Yeah I jumped on a new $359 Beads yesterday from Detroit Modular through Reverb -- think they had 3 left. Definitely curious to see whether they'll open source Beads (unless it already is ... aaaat which point I might just flip it and wait).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

Being an eternal optimist I picked up a marbles pcb & faceplate and am waiting for components to stabilize and to finish some of these other modules.. but I'm not eager to populate a dense board of 0402 components.

Just don’t sneeze

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Heck I've seen whole albums made just on a M8 or two. That box is insane. Can't wait til pay day to order my Teensy.

What the gently caress, this is AMAZING :stare:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol, I am too tempted by this:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/d/washington-eurorack-modules/7571626922.html

quote:

Weather Drones — $50 — built by somebody else, perhaps not perfectly. Everything works but the center filter knob seems to do nothing. Someone could take a look at the schematic, or use as-is.
:allears:

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t plan on playing live, so.

Oh god, I never plan on playing out anywhere live, but I got into this to twist knobs and hit buttons, not spend more time than I already do staring at grids of data on a computer. I realize a DAW is just necessary for doing all sorts of things that get closer to traditional composition, whatever that is. But I am mostly, at this point, just trying to have fun, and also I find videos of people who are really good at this stuff with extensive racks inspiring mostly because they appear to be having a lot of fun. poo poo, I'd literally never recorded anything prior to the silly Reagan thing I posted here, and since then I've been trying to just make some cool stems every day or two, jam 'em on soundcloud and move on to another patch. Don't care if it ever goes further than that!

Pollyanna posted:

Sitting here all smug over people finally realizing how dope trackers are. :smugdog:

Nerdseq is maybe a long term want, but it's such an alien way of thinking about sequences compared to anything I've ever done, gonna let that one wait a while.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I love this guy!

With Colin Benders it's cool because it's done live on a giant modular, but the music itself doesn't do much for me.

Space Town makes brain-meltingly awesome techno with those m8s.

For live modular stuff I like Helena Vogelsinger

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0wLJowIP06U

It should be said that this doesn't count towards "you don't need a DAW" because she does a lot of preprocessing of samples in a computer. I imagine the same is true for Space Town.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MSPain posted:

With Colin Benders it's cool because it's done live on a giant modular, but the music itself doesn't do much for me.

this is where personal tastes obviously become a factor

i spent a lot of my teen years smoking cigarettes in concrete-floored venues watching poo poo like Haujobb (or Daniel Meyer DJ sets) and the sorts of electo acts that would open for bands like that often had this vibe. I think it loving slaps and I've been listening to that specific recording as driving and skiing music lately, but I can also understand how someone wouldn't like it. Similarly there's a lot of stuff I find technically interesting and super talented but don't go relisten.

To be real clear I am not at all down on DAWs or people that use them and also think at some point I'll end up owning Ableton. For now "having fun" is all the physical stuff, though, and maybe when I get some more skill there through repetition and mimicry, at some point I'll realize "poo poo, I need to start stitching these pieces together on a PC".

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

xzzy posted:

Look at the NTH command, it lets you set up an event triggering after a certain number of passes. It also has NTH 00 to reset any counters on that track you have running. I don't think that gets you digitakt conditional triggers though.

There's also some quirks that can be exploited. Like if you do this:

If the CHA command does not trigger the note on line 1, then the RET command will apply to the note on line 0 (if the chance succeeds for the right side).

Still not exactly what you're after so I'm just trying to point out there's still a lot of generative options to play with.

Yeah not quite I was looking for but definitely gets me in the right direction, thank you!

Gotta admit when I look at the M8's giant page of effects my eyes kinda glaze over. I don't think there is a better way to present them but it's definitely a lot to take in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's unfortunate that this is how information is spread on the internet these days, but lurking in the M8 discord and reading the techniques people come up with is the best way to learn all the tricks of the platform.

I know there's been several discussions on generative stuff and a few people have come up with some pretty crazy things.

There should be quality educational resources out there.. but there isn't. Have fun searching chat logs. :downs:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Does the m8 save to a file format containing everything that can be distributed and pulled apart by other m8 users like the trackers of yore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Does the m8 save to a file format containing everything that can be distributed and pulled apart by other m8 users like the trackers of yore?

Yes, with complications. If the song is using all internal synths there's only a single save file that you have to distribute. There's a python library out there someone wrote to process all the various files the device saves so the format isn't encrypted or obfuscated either.

If the song uses samples, one has to use a "bundle" save that creates a folder and copies all wav files in there that one can zip up and distribute as desired.