Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Wait, I'm just now learning that this season is going to allow sponsor's patches on MLB jerseys?

This loving blows, I don't want to see that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even worse, they're all crypto companies

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Red posted:

Wait, I'm just now learning that this season is going to allow sponsor's patches on MLB jerseys?

Well they already kind of started with the Nike logos, but yeah, it's going to look like soccer jerseys in a few years, guaranteed. Once that dam breaks you can't undo it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Joe Maddon personally destroyed Chapman's arm and I'm okay with it

:hmmyes:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Why the gently caress are the Royals signing Chapman ugh. :sigh:

gently caress it might as well go full evil and sign Bauer

(Please don’t sign Bauer)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That Rajai hr was hilarious

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Exodor posted:

Why the gently caress are the Royals signing Chapman ugh. :sigh:

gently caress it might as well go full evil and sign Bauer

(Please don’t sign Bauer)

My guess is they hope to flip him at the trade deadline if he ends up being somewhat decent. They already have a good closer in Barlow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That Rajai hr was hilarious

I still can't believe Chapman got sent back out and somehow got out of the following inning doing nothing but throwing lovely meatball sliders directly over the middle to the heart of the Cleveland lineup.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

My guess is they hope to flip him at the trade deadline if he ends up being somewhat decent. They already have a good closer in Barlow.

I get that and if he didn’t have the off-field issues I’d be fine with it. I’m also upset because spending money on garbage like Chapman potentially lowers the chances of bringing Greinke back.

I’d flip both him and Barlow but that’s probably from watching the team hang onto closers for too long for no good reason.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Red posted:

Yup, they look like poo poo. Look up the Padres with their giant Motorola sleeve.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

Mantle made the HoF without a freakin' ACL, ya gotta rub some dirt on it
also without a functioning liver

unclear if he rubbed dirt on that too

fast cars loose anus posted:

Andruw Jones fell off a cliff but I'm pretty sure that was injury related
I thought it was more fat-related

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Red posted:

And weren't they also doing them on whatever side is visible on each player's at bat? As in most of the team will have them on the left, but the lefties will have them on the right.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

Jed has been a pretty bad GM and should have been let go by now.

It's bad when your best case scenario is he's just been taking flack for the Ricketts, but I think this is just who he is. I was looking back at his SD moves and it's more of the same middle of road blah. Picking up Rizzo (Casey Kelly was the headliner there) in the Adrian Gonzalez dump was their version of PCA popping off but otherwise the best of the bunch he developed were guys like Cory Spangenberg, Joe Ross, or Austin Hedges. They're not necessarily bad, but they're the parts you you slot in around the superstars that never came. Instead he traded for/signed a bunch of lovely middle infielders (Orlando Hudson, Jason Bartlett, the desiccated corpse of Miguel Tejada) and bargain bin arms. Trading for Cameron Maybin worked out, but I think that's more than offset by giving up Kluber in the Ryan Ludwick deal. Maybe Jed worked well filling in the margins of Theo's grand plan but he's out here on his own now still trying to sac bunt while other GMs are swinging for the fences.

In short, Jed Hoyer is a system GM.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

What's the book on him, why did he go from lights out to non-tendered? I know he had some beef with the Yanks front office but did he lose velo or something

He also didn't get non-tendered, his contract with the Yankees was up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

They are very deep in good, not great pitching prospects. I don't necessarily think that's bad considering how much pitching prospects vary as they develop. Hope being that a couple guys will turn into frontline starters and others can provide depth. Their problem of course is they have never been able to develop pitching.

It's clear they just don't see themselves as a big market team. Jed has talked a great deal about his admiration for both Cleveland and Tampa. I'm guessing they'd like to be a slightly higher-budget version of the Guardians. Develop players in-house and hope your weak division gets you in the playoffs. The difference is that both Tampa and Cleveland have much better front offices and development systems. Jed has been a pretty bad GM and should have been let go by now.
To me it's pretty obvious that Hoyer's job for the Ricketts Family is simply to make sure not to spend too much of their money.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

He's a piece of poo poo who loves giving up big homers in the playoffs

Luckily for him, the Royals have a team built to cover one of his major weaknesses.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Jerry Dipoto finally gets his white whale: Tommy La Stella will wear Northwest Green.

presumably, I guess.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Jerry Dipoto finally gets his white whale: Tommy La Stella will wear Northwest Green.

presumably, I guess.

cheap veteran depth that probably won't be absolutely terrible with a glove. seems fine.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Yeah it’s effectively an NRI deal, maybe he has something in the tank.

If he sticks maybe Joe Maddon shows up in Seattle just to follow Tommy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
3AM's short run of success with the Angels is almost certainly the result of the peak superball era but if he can stay healthy he's a great bench/PH option who makes lots of contact from the left side. Just don't play him at 3B for the love of god.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mr. Fix It posted:

cheap veteran depth that probably won't be absolutely terrible with a glove. seems fine.

The only saving grace about Tommy LaStella is that his inability to stay healthy will limit the damage his inability to hit or field will do.

He was available because the Giants decided that freeing his roster spot was worth eating the $11 million he was owed, a move that surprised no one whatsoever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I thought it was more fat-related

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm ready for baseball season

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

camoseven posted:

I'm ready for baseball season

me too

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Baseball Prospectus out with their top 101. They're easily the highest I've seen on Marco Raya with the Twins -- though there is a real chance they simply end up as the earliest in on him.

They're also high (though not terribly out of step with others) on Wood, placing him as #3. Which again, only emphasizes how pitiable the Nats return was and how easily your favorite team could have gotten Soto if only they cared even a tiny bit about winning :v:

Meanwhile Jackson Merrill is, for now, the Padres only entry on this list (Lesko, among others, tend to get dinged on the injury history that allowed them to get him in the first place) -- so we'll see who AJ moves him for at the deadline.

They note on the podcast that Gunnar is #1 as much floor as it is ceiling and consider De La Cruz and Wood as the highest upside folks on the list.

quote:

Rank Player Org Pos
1 Gunnar Henderson BAL SS/3B
2 Jordan Walker STL OF/3B
3 James Wood WAS OF
4 Francisco Álvarez NYM C
5 Elly De La Cruz CIN SS/3B
6 Corbin Carroll ARZ OF
7 Anthony Volpe NYY SS
8 Grayson Rodriguez BAL RHP
9 Jackson Holliday BAL SS
10 Jackson Chourio MIL OF
11 Eury Perez MIA RHP
12 Andrew Painter PHI RHP
13 Marcelo Mayer BOS SS
14 Jackson Merrill SDP SS
15 Ricky Tiedemann TOR LHP
16 Curtis Mead TB 3B/2B
17 Brett Baty NYM 3B/OF
18 Marco Luciano SFG SS
19 Diego Cartaya LAD C
20 Kyle Harrison SFG LHP
21 Ezequiel Tovar COL SS
22 Evan Carter TEX OF
23 Taj Bradley TB RHP
24 Jordan Lawlar ARZ SS
25 Daniel Espino CLE RHP
26 Gavin Williams CLE RHP
27 Bobby Miller LAD RHP
28 Pete Crow-Armstrong CHC OF
29 Noelvi Marte CIN SS/3B
30 Masyn Winn STL SS
31 Termarr Johnson PIT 2B
32 Colson Montgomery CHW SS
33 Druw Jones ARZ OF
34 Zac Veen COL OF
35 Triston Casas BOS 1B
36 Mick Abel PHI RHP
37 Brooks Lee MIN SS
38 Colton Cowser BAL OF
39 Miguel Vargas LAD 3B/OF
40 Royce Lewis MIN SS
41 Sal Frelick MIL OF
42 Emmanuel Rodriguez MIN OF
43 Tink Hence STL RHP
44 Adael Amador COL SS
45 Hunter Brown HOU RHP
46 Henry Davis PIT C
47 Zach Neto LAA SS
48 Oswald Peraza NYY SS
49 Cam Collier CIN 3B
50 Gavin Stone LAD RHP
51 Griff McGarry PHI RHP
52 Tanner Bibee CLE RHP
53 Marco Raya MIN RHP
54 Nick Nastrini LAD RHP
55 Endy Rodriguez PIT C/IF/OF
56 Dalton Rushing LAD C
57 Spencer Jones NYY OF
58 Gordon Graceffo STL RHP
59 Michael Busch LAD 2B
60 George Valera CLE OF
61 Edwin Arroyo CIN SS
62 Garrett Mitchell MIL OF
63 Jasson Dominguez NYY OF
64 Kevin Parada NYM C
65 Joey Wiemer MIL OF
66 Robert Hassell III WAS OF
67 Miguel Bleis BOS OF
68 Elijah Green WAS OF
69 Coby Mayo BAL 3B
70 Gavin Cross KCR OF
71 Cade Cavalli WAS RHP
72 Max Meyer MIA RHP
73 Cedanne Rafaela BOS OF/SS
74 Jordan Westburg BAL IF
75 Jett Williams NYM SS
76 Oscar Colas CHW OF
77 Logan O'Hoppe LAA C
78 Tyler Soderstrom OAK 1B/C
79 Nick Frasso LAD RHP
80 Owen Caissie CHC OF
81 Kyle Manzardo TB 1B
82 Connor Norby BAL 2B
83 Brandon Pfaadt ARZ RHP
84 Mason Montgomery TB LHP
85 Harry Ford SEA C
86 Jace Jung DET 2B
87 Wilmer Flores DET RHP
88 Matt Mervis CHC 1B
89 Edgar Quero LAA C
90 Andy Pages LAD OF
91 Jackson Jobe DET RHP
92 Kyle Muller OAK LHP
93 Jose Salas MIA SS
94 Casey Schmitt SFG 3B
95 DL Hall BAL LHP
96 Connor Phillips CIN RHP
97 Ken Waldichuk OAK LHP
98 Colt Keith DET 3B
99 Junior Caminero TB 3B
100 Josh Jung TEX 3B
101 Alex Ramirez NYM OF

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 20, 2023

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh wow, BP has Spencer Jones in the Top 101 already. BA had 5 Yankees on their top 100, but not him (they had Everson Pereira & Austin Wells instead,) that seems like a pretty aggressive ranking for him.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Paracaidas posted:

95 DL Hall BAL LHP

Seems like bad karma to have a pitcher named DL.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh wow, BP has Spencer Jones in the Top 101 already. BA had 5 Yankees on their top 100, but not him (they had Everson Pereira & Austin Wells instead,) that seems like a pretty aggressive ranking for him.
I've found BP to be performatively contrarian with a number of their choices in the past (some of those have worked out!)

As I continue to listen to the podcast, they say Walker is a weak #2 and isn't meaningfully better than last year at #7... just a soft top of list. Alvarez and De La Cruz were apparently the most controversial rankings and were nearly flipped.

Bandire posted:

Seems like bad karma to have a pitcher named DL.
It's more that his middle name is Tinstaap

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paracaidas posted:

I've found BP to be performatively contrarian with a number of their choices in the past (some of those have worked out!)

I mean, I can see the reasoning for it, and it's not like they slammed him into the Top 10 or anything. His best outcome is lefty Judge, so obviously the ceiling is uh, high. I figure most places are still gonna wait and see with a dude his size.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WBC rosters are starting to come out. Here's some notable Cubs:

Majors
Seiya Suzuki: Japan
Marcus Stroman: Puerto Rico
Trey Mancini: Italy
Nick Madrigal: Mexico
Miles Mastrubuoni: Italy

Notable Minor League/AAAA Guys
Matt Mervis: Israel
Owen Caissie: Canada
Javier Assad: Mexico
Esteban Quiroz: Mexico
Ben DeLuzio: Italy

Excited to watch Cubs dudes in the WBC.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Also thinking about splurging for a BP Annual for the first time. I'm assuming at least a few folks here get them, are they good?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wow 9 Dodgers though mostly in the back half, that’s feels like more than I’ve seen on other lists recently.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also thinking about splurging for a BP Annual for the first time. I'm assuming at least a few folks here get them, are they good?
I stopped ordering and premium subscribing years ago (candidly, after they made Gleeman editor in chief) and there were a few years that I was very happy with that decision. I've not paid as much attention since 2019/2020, they very well may have rebounded. Around the same time I stopped, their better scouting crew broke off to 2080 which left them in a bit of no mans land.

Even when I did get them, I didn't find it that much better than where fangraphs' board has gotten to now. But YMMV!

bawfuls posted:

Wow 9 Dodgers though mostly in the back half, that’s feels like more than I’ve seen on other lists recently.
Sounds like the rebuild is going well! We'll see Mookie moved at the deadline? :v:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

These lists are funny for the Jays since Shapiro yelled and screamed or whatever at AA about prospects and needing them to produce a perpetual winner and drove him out of Toronto using that as an excuse and lol the Jays system is not very good!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Here's the count of which team has how many on the Top 101:

https://twitter.com/YankeesFiles/status/1616451977566633985?s=20

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

These lists are funny for the Jays since Shapiro yelled and screamed or whatever at AA about prospects and needing them to produce a perpetual winner and drove him out of Toronto using that as an excuse and lol the Jays system is not very good!

Starting to think this guy might actually be a fuckin moron

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

What exactly do the Yankees do well as an organization other than throwing money at FA's?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

lol 9 for the Dodgers, insane, what a well run org

Only 1 for the Astros which is kind of brutal but IIRC Pena, Javier and Yordan were never top 101 so :shrug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

What exactly do the Yankees do well as an organization other than throwing money at FA's?
monetize nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers get an extra half-point on the list with this tweet

https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1616453067712483329