Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Critical posted:

Nah I had to fight with them to get identity protection after we had a data breach, they're going to give negative fucks. I don't have the energy for that battle anyway.

I did hear later that the calls were getting spicy lately because people were starting to push back against her poo poo. This was my first call with the dept, she tried to test me immediately and lost. Maybe she'll learn something but I doubt it.

My old idiot boss actually offered to try to get me back in my old position, but she has the final say and is well aware of how small my workload was for months, zero chance she lets me move back after I made her show her rear end. I could use a couple weeks off anyway.

I’d also like to let you know that creating invoices is part of my job. Yesterday I found three old tickets I had filed incorrectly back in July, resulting in us not billing work worth about $700. My boss’s response? “Eh, bill them now anyways, and if they get mad, I’ll deal with them”. I love my boss. Yours should go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

COPE 27 posted:

Yet almost invariably what you get from someone operating heavy machinery.

We have a project coming up involving a lot of contractors and machinery operators, and my chest keeps squeezing up when I think about it. We're a year in and a year behind already.

So far, of the three contractors and partners currently involved: One confirmed they could do the job, delayed several times before pulling out, then promised 'maybe we can do it next year'. One is currently 12 months behind on even starting the project because they didn't fully understand the permitting processes. One only completed half the job, and I need to constantly check in on them to tell them that yes, the thing I said I wanted to be done still needs to be done, and the timeline I said they needed to follow still needs to be followed.

I keep getting told, 'partnerships are really important and you have to work with a lot of other people and organizations to succeed'. How do you explain to someone that building a multi-year, multistage project that depends on multiple people from different organizations doing everything exactly on time without loving anything up is a stupid, dumbfucking idiotic way to do business? How can you deliberately introduce multiple failure points you have no control over into a system and call it robust?

VV lol yeah that.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 19, 2023

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Multiple redundant points of failure for extra assurance

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

So after my direct manager quit, another manager has quit and gone to a competitor, leaving a bunch of people floundering trying to figure out what needs doing. I used this opportunity of confusion and openings to move up and get a nice fat raise in a department which I have been told is “quite dead most of the time”.

They still haven’t replaced my coworker who moved on two months ago, and I don’t know if they will, but that’s not my problem anymore.

Here’s hoping for more money and no problems. :cheers:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Gods drat. :yotj: indeed

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Kegged the Vienna lager just as the last keg of the previous batch on tap was near the end. :c00l:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mllaneza posted:

Fix your withholding!

How much better off would you be if you had that money on every paycheck instead of as a lump sum that comes when you're behind on bills and already out of pocket for some late fees? A tax refund is the IRS paying back an interest free loan you've been giving the government every paycheck.

If anyone owes or gets refunded more than $100 either way, they need to sit down with payroll and make some adjustments. Your money, your pocket, every payday.

It's a sad fact that the only saving most Americans do is over-withholding and getting a tax refund. Anyone who ever pays a late fee on anything can stop doing that. That's money that could go into savings, or buying something that will save you more money, or even an IRA, which reduces your taxable income saving you more money!

One of those odd local things: The Norwegian tax authority pays interest on your refund. It's based on the national bank's base interest rate, so it's just 0.39% this year - but I like the spirt of it, and there have been years when they paid more interest than my savings account.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Computer viking posted:

One of those odd local things: The Norwegian tax authority pays interest on your refund. It's based on the national bank's base interest rate, so it's just 0.39% this year - but I like the spirt of it, and there have been years when they paid more interest than my savings account.

The IRS will actually do that too if they take long enough to process the return, did a bunch of that thanks to COVID delays the last few years. On the other hand, it’s counted as taxable interest to report the next year, so :lol:.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

One of our vendors had a cyberattack as mentioned previously. This is the fourth in our area of the company to have one in the last month and we have a pretty strict contagion control policy in place because it seems to be getting worse. My internal customer went from sending a near unreadable email demanding parts ship (no parts are leaving that vendor) to yesterday asking if we were able to send anyone to the vendor to fix their systems to this morning just saying the vendor should ship the parts they want and they'll be quarantined until the vendor can backdate shipping documents. I'm trying to get the customer to the "Acceptance" stage of grief and they're on "Bargaining" still.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
W-4 simplification should make it so the average rando is getting reasonable withdrawals. Gone are the days of big brain recommendations from your dumb HR jockey to make no (or all) allowances. You should only need to think hard about it if you're a deduction hound or otherwise have a CPA helping you do mild tax evasion. Any large refund is +- congressional tax chaos.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

One of our vendors had a cyberattack as mentioned previously. This is the fourth in our area of the company to have one in the last month and we have a pretty strict contagion control policy in place because it seems to be getting worse. My internal customer went from sending a near unreadable email demanding parts ship (no parts are leaving that vendor) to yesterday asking if we were able to send anyone to the vendor to fix their systems to this morning just saying the vendor should ship the parts they want and they'll be quarantined until the vendor can backdate shipping documents. I'm trying to get the customer to the "Acceptance" stage of grief and they're on "Bargaining" still.

Tell em it's in the mail

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

COPE 27 posted:

Yet almost invariably what you get from someone operating heavy machinery.

To be fair, this also applies to people operating light machinery. Ask me how much swearing I did when my CIP pump spontaneously came loose from its mounting in the middle of a heavy caustic cycle and forced me to tear the whole fucker down to repair it today.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

To be fair, this also applies to people operating light machinery. Ask me how much swearing I did when my CIP pump spontaneously came loose from its mounting in the middle of a heavy caustic cycle and forced me to tear the whole fucker down to repair it today.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Oh my God. I'm so sorry! That...holy poo poo that sucks poo poo!

I had like our first smooth bottling day since forever. We bottled the French Christmas beer. Lol.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol my companies Lexisnexis/TLO account got suspended because people were looking up celebrities and other non-work related stuff and heads are going to roll

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 20, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How much swearing did you do when your CIP pump spontaneously came loose from its mounting in the middle of a heavy caustic cycle and forced you to tear the whole fucker down to repair it today?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I was more animal than man!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bottling day went smoothly but after getting in early to set up, then having to clean the bottler before I could keg, this day is gonna be like an hour or two long. I think just an hour though. Woof.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

lol my companies Lexisnexis/TLO account got suspended because people were looking up celebrities and other non-work related stuff and heads are going to roll

Several years ago a local newscaster got abducted, brutally raped, and murdered and the hospital that had to do the autopsy wound having to fire around a dozen people who used the internal system to rubberneck.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Several years ago a local newscaster got abducted, brutally raped, and murdered and the hospital that had to do the autopsy wound having to fire around a dozen people who used the internal system to rubberneck.

Jesus. What the gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Critical posted:

Started my new AP position at the same company last week, had a teams call today with the department where my boss swore at me in front of about ten other people for making a simple mistake saying "you need to loving pay attention, this is not difficult, a grade schooler can enter an invoice."

I don't think she was prepared for me giving my notice as soon as the words were out of her mouth, as I was pretty sure this was not going to work out anyway. (We process 2k invoices a month during the summer and I would be the only person handling them as well as keeping my old position afloat.) She tried to walk it back saying it wasn't personal, at which point I told her we could discuss it after the call but I had made my decision and signed off. Apparently the rest of the call was trying to transition my workload onto others while they politely demurred as she got increasingly panicked.

We did not discuss it after the call as I went offline in Teams and sent an email saying as a professional courtesy I was willing to stay until 2/1 to help clear the current backlog of invoices, but I was not interested in discussing it any further. No response.

So I may be there for a couple more weeks or may get canned tomorrow but gently caress it was worth it. I have a decent amount in savings so I could survive for over a year if I had to, but I'm sure I'll be able to grab something after taking a couple weeks to myself, even if it's temp to perm to start.

Bad rear end! Good for you my dude.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Every few years my rather large company goes through this process where they say "you have to have x direct reports if you're a manager" which is super great because all it does it make folks hide under weird reporting lines so managers with X-1 can get their staff numbers to appease the gods.

Then it goes away after a few years and everyone just reorganizes to make sense. THEN in 3 more years we're back fuckin around again.

It's great becuase we've used attrition to close out several positions which now means some managers have gone below X.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Backstory: we had this thing called Recharge Fridays, in which we all got one Friday a month off.

quote:

Team,

We still have two weeks left in FY24 and are also laying the foundation for success in FY24. We have a focused strategy and important work to do, so we must act purposefully amidst the intensifying economy and competitive landscape around us.

As you’ve seen in our FY24 Strategy and ongoing changes to Working at [company] as part of our Execution Excellence initiative, we’re making changes to meetings, the crew model, and more to help all of us move at greater velocity and have more space to innovate across the company.

We also know we need more time for the work that matters and must balance this time with the need to recharge. As myself and my Direct reports assessed the work to be done in FY24, and the time and space we need to do it, it was clear we need to evolve our approach to Recharge Friday.

Going forward, Recharge Fridays will happen four times a year in the middle of each quarter, namely, the second Friday of the month in the second month of the quarter. So the Recharge Friday dates are:

* March 10

* June 9

* September 8

* December 8

We recognize that each of us recharges in different ways and that this shift may take adjustment. We believe that by creating more time to do the important work that will achieve our goals, while balancing that work with time to recharge, we’ll be at a healthy balance.

Thanks,
Robert

:v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds fun. Do they have to fill in HR paperwork when everyone reshuffles so they can seize up another department at the same time?

My job role has nearly everybody in three grades, we don't really interact with anyone outside of our role. The top two are both management grades and they outnumber the bottom grade by a few times over. There are probably a hundred "managers" who don't manage anybody (I'm one and I never have) and the same amount who manage 1 person.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol the warehouse released a bunch of reels to the floor with manufacturer labels with the customer part number on them, but the barcode on the label includes the "(P) CUSTOMER P/N # 555666"

except the barcode the scanner and the machine's software are looking for is "xxxxxx"

so there was no way to scan this reel in to program a feeder. You could try to black out the irrelevant parts but lol. The person that encountered this problem decided the best course of action was to inform nobody about any of this and leave it for night shift.
None of us had access to the label printer in the warehouse office to print labels, so we went down for an hour until I went to that very barcode generator, generated the kanban number, copy/pasted a screenshot into paint, cropped the barcode, printed it way big on accident, and then scanned the reel into the feeder so the machine would start running.

Needless to say I have access to the label printer for the next month before everything shuts down lol

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
A new one on me, a headhunter just emailed me at my work address about a new opportunity at one of our vendors. Might be related to the project our vendor was just here onsite for.
Thought it was an IT phishing test at first.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I had an interesting exchange with a recruiter this week. Got contacted on linkedin by a recruiter for a position as a production manager, we scheduled a phone interview for Wednesday at noon. Wednesday at noon came and went and she didn't call me or notify me but she was looking at my profile along with another person. I messaged her on Linkedin stating that things must be going a little off kilter that day and we could reschedule. She saw the message, looked at my profile again and didn't respond. I assumed I had been ghosted so I just blocked her on linkedin and went about my evening.

She emails me the next morning asking if we could do an interview for said position and if I'm not interested if she could keep my name on hand for other positions. I stated that would be fine but I also explained what happened the day before that she didn't call or cancel nor did she respond to my message but I would be willing to reschedule. No response. The gently caress is wrong with this person? She contacted me, not the other way around.

In my 25+ years of working I have never had any positive experiences with recruiters.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Recruiters are such a mixed bag. I had one reach out to me the other day with a job posting over LinkedIn. I replied that I might be interested and wanted to know more about the role, and then got ghosted. No reply even when I sent a follow up. But I've also had a recruiter thank me profusely when I told her I wasn't interested in a position she came to me with, it seems she gets left on Read a lot as well. Still, I've definitely gotten ghosted more times that not.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Outrail posted:

How can you deliberately introduce multiple failure points you have no control over into a system and call it robust?

You don't want to know about modern web applications in that case.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
At a previous job certain systems that were deemed life-safety were intentionally made less reliable, as a feature. This seems counter intuitive, but as all systems were designed to be fail-safe, it was better to have a bunch of nuisance faults that bring down the system to a safe state than it was to potentially have the system continue through an unforeseen unsafe condition.

This is why theme park rides always seem to break down

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Most of the recruiters that contact me just seem to shotgun all over the place, sending me positions that don't even fall into my broader job category.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Super Waffle posted:

At a previous job certain systems that were deemed life-safety were intentionally made less reliable, as a feature. This seems counter intuitive, but as all systems were designed to be fail-safe, it was better to have a bunch of nuisance faults that bring down the system to a safe state than it was to potentially have the system continue through an unforeseen unsafe condition.

And then workers pull out a roll of duct tape to fix the nuisance faults.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

I spent four summers working at Kings Island on their Eiffel Tower knock-off, and I remember when I got to do extra training so I could help transfer people between elevators if on ever got stuck and the perverse thrill of "Oh man, this would be so cool to do"

In my four years, the elevators only failed once. Three feet off the ground. Like a minute after I handed control over to a co-worker and stepped off the elevator car. They fixed it before I even had a chance to get excited that this could be My Moment.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Got a recruiter on LinkedIn a few days ago try to get me for an entry position for some mystery company.
Mention it in my team chat at work, and up piped others who got the same mail.
Seems they only sent the mails to those of us who were working in our company for the last 10-15 years.
For an entry associate position.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

90% of recruiters seem to be either the dumbest or laziest people in existence. Im sure at least part of it is that the company that is seeking an employee is told that the job will be seen by X number of eyeballs or whatever so they just toss out feelers to anyone remotely connected to the field the position is in, but god drat does it seem like the least efficient way to hire someone. I’m in a director position and still get emails asking if I’d like to take a tier 1 help desk contract-to-hire.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I get a about one email a week asking if I'm interested in an opening they think I'd be a good fit for and I invariably ask what and where, they hem and haw and try to arrange a phone call and they eventually come out with they want me to fingerblast chickens in Alabama or something else equally unpleasant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they're doing it "properly", because they've never looked at any of it and all of their bulk dealing is being managed by an automated system, the human recruiters only being involved once interest has been expressed and they know they have a chance of progressing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Salami Surgeon posted:

A new one on me, a headhunter just emailed me at my work address about a new opportunity at one of our vendors. Might be related to the project our vendor was just here onsite for.
Thought it was an IT phishing test at first.

I'm assuming that the vendor just told the recruiter exactly who to approach for this one. They either have your email or have figured out how your company structures email addresses and sent them after you. You going to at least hear them out? Vendors will often pay a premium for people coming over from their customers with the belief that you'll be able to pull strings and steer more work their way. Generally that is backwards thinking because I've seen more work put into vendors we hired people from than the other way around, and a lot of the time the customer won't work with someone who left them for a vendor due to the whole "ethics" thing.

Super Waffle posted:

Recruiters are such a mixed bag. I had one reach out to me the other day with a job posting over LinkedIn. I replied that I might be interested and wanted to know more about the role, and then got ghosted. No reply even when I sent a follow up. But I've also had a recruiter thank me profusely when I told her I wasn't interested in a position she came to me with, it seems she gets left on Read a lot as well. Still, I've definitely gotten ghosted more times that not.

I work in a recruiter heavy industry and get a few emails a month trying to lure me away from my current company for way less than I make. It feels like a lot of them are just automating their emails and LinkedIn messages to as wide a net as possible. I'm talking "search for 'SAP' and send emails" net. I have one recruiter who has been calling me every few months for the last THREE YEARS to see if I would be interested in a contract-to-hire position...with the company I work for. I've told her to take me off her list multiple times, but I still see her number pop up now and again.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Unless you're like a CEO the recruiter isn't actually contacting you for the position they're contacting you for. It's to get you in the database and they'll invite you to apply for another position down the road that actually fits.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

In my 25+ years of working I have never had any positive experiences with recruiters.

:haibrow: Recruiters are garbage :haibrow:

My favorite is recruiters have the audacity to scout you and then say 'oh looks like you've only been in your position for two years, why are you thinking of changing? :smug:' and then you check their LinkedIn history and they've never held down a position longer than a year :rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I feel bad because a bunch of our recruiters recently got laid off, and while I don't wish ill on them specifically, I have literally never had a positive experience with a recruiter.