Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
oh my god, an actual fixed growths mode that isn't dependent on the phases of the moon or whatever? awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Is it just maddening that has fixed growths or do all the difficulties?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The combat seems fun but man what is up with the VO and these obnoxious child characters.

Are….people into this? Is this still a thing in 2023?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Normal and Hard have a Fixed growth mode. But AFAIK it's the inverse of Maddening, where you can only use it after completing Normal/Hard at least once.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pureauthor posted:

Normal and Hard have a Fixed growth mode. But AFAIK it's the inverse of Maddening, where you can only use it after completing Normal/Hard at least once.

Did some sleuthing and you can have fixed growths on your first playthrough, since lowering the difficultly from maddening doesn't change the growth mode.

I was mainly wondering about it since Jean had two level ups where only luck didn't increase and if I'd had fixed growths that would have been absurd.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

The combat seems fun but man what is up with the VO and these obnoxious child characters.

Yeah they're all good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Since the game dumps like 18 characters on you before chapter 10, which characters are you perma-dumping? Unless I"m convinced or if there's forced deployment, I'm never using Alfred. Celine, Clanne again.

Framme still has use after getting Jean because Chain Defend is actually busted.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think they’re fairly charming. Like the writing isn’t complex or particularly deep, but so far I wouldn’t consider them as obnoxious or “cringe” as the kids call it these days.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I played up until Ch. 3. last night. I hope the game mellows out after a bit because right now it seems like i'm just going from place to place with no time to sit down and smell the grass.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I will do everything in my power to keep Framme viable because she is a small kung fu child and that owns. I want her to spin kick infamous warlords off their dragons and on their rear end.

the others, ehhh, pass

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where is the "grind levels and gold" map?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where is the "grind levels and gold" map?
once you get past chapter 6 or so skirmishes start appearing on the map. not sure how infinite they are or anything, i never really touched them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

Since the game dumps like 18 characters on you before chapter 10, which characters are you perma-dumping? Unless I"m convinced or if there's forced deployment, I'm never using Alfred. Celine, Clanne again.

Framme still has use after getting Jean because Chain Defend is actually busted.

I feel compelled to use all the royals because they have special unique classes even if some of them like Alfred just kinda suck.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I will do everything in my power to keep Framme viable because she is a small kung fu child and that owns. I want her to spin kick infamous warlords off their dragons and on their rear end.

the others, ehhh, pass

Framme can literally have the worst stats and still be viable, because a staff user is absurdly useful between Chain Defend and easily buyable Warp staves/Freeze/Obstruct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you forge framme's fists and stick a mt up emblem on them she becomes a really good damage dealer. you can give her the energy drops too if you want

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

I think they’re fairly charming. Like the writing isn’t complex or particularly deep, but so far I wouldn’t consider them as obnoxious or “cringe” as the kids call it these days.

The twins should be fired into the sun IMO.

New mechanics seem cool but the story/characters seem absolutely dire. I wasn’t expecting much based on the reviews but it’s somehow worse then I expected. We’re talking sub-Fates here folks it’s that bad.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sinistral posted:

The twins should be fired into the sun IMO.

New mechanics seem cool but the story/characters seem absolutely dire. I wasn’t expecting much based on the reviews but it’s somehow worse then I expected. We’re talking sub-Fates here folks it’s that bad.

The game has consistant writing and a main character that isn't a gaping void of intellect.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

What's Chain Defend?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a difference between 'not liking the intended tone' and 'massive gaping writing issues.' fates was the latter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I do not think 'the clan who have been hereditary guardians of the Divine Dragon for generations, end up being extremely big fans of the Divine Dragon' is a writing issue, per se.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I don’t like the writing or cast that much so far either but there’s a loving enormous gap in quality between this and Fates. Fates thought it was smart, this doesn’t and doesn’t care which is fine.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah I don’t like the writing or cast that much so far either but there’s a loving enormous gap in quality between this and Fates. Fates thought it was smart, this doesn’t and doesn’t care which is fine.

I respect a game that tries and fails more then one which doesn’t try at all. Fates was a disaster Engage is just… nothing.

It is however fun to play so it’s at least got something over Fates.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, I like this game's writing and characters a decent bit. They aren't shooting for the moon but they're amusing enough. And for like maybe the 3rd time in Fire Emblem history the actual plotting isn't wildly incompetent.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

What exactly does Engage need to "try" to be

People are wildly overreacting to a straightforward story with a lighthearted tone like a teenager at their first creative writing class

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Sinistral posted:

I respect a game that tries and fails more then one which doesn’t try at all. Fates was a disaster Engage is just… nothing.

It is however fun to play so it’s at least got something over Fates.

This is pretty how I feel about the game so far as well.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The first time I hit a loading screen, I was disappointed that you can't make Alear's sprite run around and jump like in 3H. Then the next time I saw that other characters get to join them, and all was forgiven. :3:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does FE Engage have infinite side missions? I know a lot of people have a hate on for Fate but I really liked how tight the combat felt in Conquest. It was fun to see how well I could build my team with a limited amount of XP and gold to go around.

Plus I find the side missions so dreadfully boring most of the time but if I were given the option my broken brain just ends up grinding until the game's too easy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

The first time I hit a loading screen, I was disappointed that you can't make Alear's sprite run around and jump like in 3H. Then the next time I saw that other characters get to join them, and all was forgiven. :3:
it's actually the exact characters you have deployed/deployed in your last battle, which is really cute.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is Vander is the standard trap character you want to avoid giving too much exp to? I’ve been relegating him to tanking hits in the early chapters.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleared up to Ch. 3 and indeed, difficulty seems more balanced than 3H, on Hard enemies can actually pack a punch and the Ch 2 Boss jumpscared me almost killing Vander.

Also even if the plot is simple for now I give it 100 points for being the first time in the franchise someone actually tried to use a healing staff on story scenes.

Unless I'm forgetting something and like Micaiah saved someone with Sacrifice or smthm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Is Vander is the standard trap character you want to avoid giving too much exp to? I’ve been relegating him to tanking hits in the early chapters.
His growths are fine but his bases are pretty low for being promoted, minus his HP.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
vander's definitely in the marcus class of jeigan, aka 'you should use this character and only really avoid feeding them a bunch of kills, rather than not use them at all / solo the game with them'

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vander's biggest problem is that his EXP gain is garbage even by Jeigan standards. In a lot of games boss kills will still give 30ish EXP, but Vander is getting less than 15 early game. It means that he gets massively outstripped by other units in every aspect but durability (where he is quite solid thanks to his great HP) very quickly. I am a big Jeigan supporter but I was pretty disappointed with Vander overall. Maybe he'll shine more on Maddening when I do that.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Early on so whatever, but I've only been using vander to soften up enemies for the others to kill and to take some blows and he works beautifully for that.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I decided to put Sigurd on Louis and holy poo poo, Louis becomes a one-man wrecking crew as long as nothing magic sneezes in his direction. It’s absurd how tanky he is and how much damage he can dish out and not be stuck with terrible Armor movement.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've noticed that bosses don't give a more experience than normal units anymore, has that been the case for a while with the series? I genuinely can't remember how 3h handled it.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Did anyone actually receive the tarot deck pre-order bonus? My delivery preorder didn't come with it, bleh

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Does anybody else have an issue where the movement speed in Somniel and after battles is stuck at slow as gently caress and there's no way to fix it? I think it happened after I took a nap.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Also, I bought the DLC and I’m at Chapter 6 and I thought I should get the emblem band for the 3H trio but I’ve not gotten anything. Anyone have any clue how to get it? I know there should be a cutscene at lookout ridge but no dice. All the other DLc parts are there like the items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I had to switch to the classic control method immediately, I don't know why but I don't like the direct one at all.

Edit: I'm happy that the cutscenes have a higher framerate than.. 5 or so in 3 Houses.