Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone have an ultrasonic cleaner from Ali? Is there some trick to them? I was hoping to clean some coins and some weed paraphernalia but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything.

It should be obvious when it's working/on. Is it just not cleaning or does it not appear to be doing anything at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Just to be sure, you are putting a layer of water in it, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's definitely on and vibrating, and I used a solution of iso alcohol and warm water. I left it in the stove half an hour and nothing is noticeably cleaner. It's this user error or is my stuff just too dirty?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's cleaning the ultrasonics, working as intended

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Don’t they take hours to clean? I know a guy who runs lawnmower parts through one and he leaves them in for a long time

Looks like I’m wrong vvvvvv

namlosh fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 20, 2023

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I run mine for an hour or so with the heater on, with water and some dish soap. It has cleaned everything I've tried, namely small metal parts, and it's the same generic model you see on every online store. Sometimes the transducers make more noise than other times, so I don't think it's working as well as it could, but it hasn't failed in the 3 or 4 times I've used it.

When it's on, do you see little bubbles and ripples in the water?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Nah it should be literal minutes for coins. I don’t know much about it but I’ve seen a demo where the coin went from tarnished ugly to like-new in maybe 10 minutes.

This guide says 3-5 minutes - maybe check the other steps here where it talks about degassing, cavitation, and other things I have no idea about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given it’s from Ali there’s always a non-zero chance it’s just a box with nothing more than a functioning ‘On’ light.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Aliexpress: it doesn't really seem to be doing anything

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Which ultrasonic cleaner did you get? I want to make sure I don't get the same one.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I bet they took a ultrasonic humidifier and just slapped a new sticker on it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yoloer420 posted:

Which ultrasonic cleaner did you get? I want to make sure I don't get the same one.

This one:
C$ 4.53 40%OFF | Smart Ultrasonic Cleaner USB Charging/battery Powered Glasses Cleaning Machine Home 360 Degree All-round Deep Cleaning Products
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0S8TSm

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's definitely on and vibrating, and I used a solution of iso alcohol and warm water. I left it in the stove half an hour and nothing is noticeably cleaner. It's this user error or is my stuff just too dirty?

I have a lower-end ultrasonic cleaner of a pretty small size, that I got used from a friend. It's sold at a brick-and-mortar store so I think it's the real deal, but low-cost. If I plop a dirty coin in there with some dishwasher detergent, I can see the grime come off and the water gets muddy in like 10 seconds. It doesn't work all that well for "complex" shapes like inside tubes, but for jewelry it's fine.

So try replacing the alcohol with Dawn or whatever - depending on what the dirt is, it might not be very soluble in alcohol.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I got one of these in a smallish size, and like I said it seems to work okay. I have a feeling a quality one would be quieter and/or better, but it has worked for everything I've tried with it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002848036769.html

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

flashy_mcflash posted:

This one:
C$ 4.53 40%OFF | Smart Ultrasonic Cleaner USB Charging/battery Powered Glasses Cleaning Machine Home 360 Degree All-round Deep Cleaning Products

this isn't actually an ultrasonic cleaner, sorry about your 4.53

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flashy_mcflash posted:

This one:

Why is it battery powered though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

this isn't actually an ultrasonic cleaner, sorry about your 4.53

I like the buyers who state it doesn't work but still give it three stars. And the Russian who outright calls it poo poo but still gives it two. Like... why? What are they using it for that justifies any stars?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If you switch the type there's a USB option which is the one I have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One buyer posted a photo of it opened and it's just a tub with a rumble motor lmao.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Oh it's a thing of beauty

crack yours open too OP

mystes
May 31, 2006

goldmine this thread

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

r u ready to WALK posted:

crack yours open too OP

LMAO, catfished again

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

crack yours open too OP

oh man :D

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Always read the reviews. Some already state that it doesn't really work, or that it's not a 'echography' device (ultrasound).
Furthermore, one single real ultrasonic cleaner transducer already draws 30-45 watt. That is not something you can drive with just a bunch of batteries (lithium or otherwise) for more than a few minutes.

I actually bought something very much like it at a dollar store, and returned it the same day when i found out it's just a vibrating motor. I didn't realize those scammy things existed.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 20, 2023

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

crack yours open too OP

drat you Ali!

I didn't really understand the science around ultrasonic cleaning to begin with so I'll chalk this up to an L. I'll grab the one linked above since it seems legit. I haven't had a big AX miss in a little while so I guess I was due! Thanks everyone.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ultrasonic waves in water cause microscopic bubbles which grow because of the local drop in pressure, and then collapse with a bang when the pressure increases again. 45.000 times per second. Find 'cavitation' on wikipedia if you're interested.

You can test ultrasonic cleaners by taking a sheet of aluminium foil and dipping it in the tank for 15 seconds or so. Then hold it up to the light. There should now be holes in the foil, where the cavitation effects have punched right through the foil.
You can also make a video/audio recording of it, with your device pretty close to the cleaner. Usually you'll get a lot of distortion/buzzing/crackling sound effects in the recording, which you don't hear IRL.

Make sure there are no dogs or cats in the room where you use it because they emit a TON of noise outside the range that humans can hear.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

crack yours open too OP

No you see it's not an Ultrasonic cleaner it's the Ultra Sonic cleaner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Put pistol srimp in the tub, the rumble will agitate them to shoot your jewelry.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Crank up the dc voltage that you feed it and use it as a dice rolling tray

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Crank up the dc voltage that you feed it and use it as a dice rolling tray

If I played anything with dice this would be a legitimate use for it. Maybe I'll give it to my kids to mess around with.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

LimaBiker posted:

Make sure there are no dogs or cats in the room where you use it because they emit a TON of noise outside the range that humans can hear.

This. I bought one a while back from Amazon, and thus far I've only used it to clean the ton of different eyeglasses I have, and it works great. According to my audio engineer son, listening to insanely loud Rock and Roll destroyed my upper hearing range decades ago, and I know this cleaner is legit because, when it's running, it brings him all the way from the other side of the house screaming "GOD DAD, CAN'T YOU HEAR THAT???!!!" (his hearing is pretty drat perfect, and he maintains it by using earplugs when he's on a recording gig). Me? I only hear the buzzing noise. It's not painful in any way, why do you ask? :)

(btw OP, I use distilled water, and a weak solution of Simple Green, and it works great for cleaning glasses)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, spend the 150 bucks or so on a proper cleaner off Amazon. They work quite well.

https://www.amazon.ca/CO-Z-Ultrasonic-Stainless-Electronic-Instruments/dp/B085Q73221

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quote:

How can your glasses be dirty if your eyes aren't dirty.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get one that uses gravel instead.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I feel like this might’ve popped up before but the wisdom is timeless:

E: well ok!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 20, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, spend the 150 bucks or so on a proper cleaner off Amazon. They work quite well.

https://www.amazon.ca/CO-Z-Ultrasonic-Stainless-Electronic-Instruments/dp/B085Q73221

Harbor Freight also has some Ultrasonic cleaners in teh $90 USD range that lots of people like.
'
$4 for one is obviously bullshit and you will get scammed.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I hope I’m not being annoying posting random things; if so, I’ll knock it off.

That being said, anyone have/find intentional/unintentional shirts and hats that seem ultra American but actually aren’t?

This is funny (and I feel like you could make silly money selling these stateside) but I don’t think I could bring myself to wear it, regardless of irony.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Where's the irony?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Are you from outside of the usa? Because that example image is quite the opposite of 'ironically not actually pro usa'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I guess more outlandish to the point of absurdity, maybe people actually label themselves that. It felt like a mistranslation which made it absurd. I’m not ordering it or wearing it, don’t worry. The image was meant as a jumping-off point, not a “more exactly like this please”.

I’m hoping there are similar slips which appear to be good ol’ USA merch but actually end up the opposite.

Or maybe I’m delusional, having a rather off day.