Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1000 Chicago police procedural cannot equal one Seinfeld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ornery and Hornery posted:

small beach town seems like a neat place to live.

do any exist that aren’t playgrounds for the rich?

gary, indiana

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

my doctor just ordered me to start taking a massive dose of vitamin d so you might be right there

Don’t get me wrong I love the Oregon coast and try to get down to port Orford or gold beach for a long weekend every summer, but it’s undeveloped the way it for a reason, and honestly god bless it for that. Going to the Oregon coast especially the southern half really feels like going ten/twenty years back in time in some ways

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Al! posted:

an incredible documentation of the demented results of white flight
all those John Hughes movies took place in white Chicago suburbs anyway

edit: or did you mean the movies themselves were this documentation, not their absence now?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Al! posted:

yeah it rules here. id look into the southern oregon coast or where that insane bird guy on the bird app (who is martin random lmao) lives on the far northern california coast

i was in lincoln city once, it was a combination of tourists and white supremacists

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

i was in lincoln city once, it was a combination of tourists and white supremacists

Lincoln City is the absolute worst part of the Oregon Coast. Don’t go there

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bawfuls posted:

all those John Hughes movies took place in white Chicago suburbs anyway

edit: or did you mean the movies themselves were this documentation, not their absence now?

yeah

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

mastershakeman posted:

gary, indiana

Lake Charles is nice this time of year I’m told

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Don’t get me wrong I love the Oregon coast and try to get down to port Orford or gold beach for a long weekend every summer, but it’s undeveloped the way it for a reason, and honestly god bless it for that. Going to the Oregon coast especially the southern half really feels like going ten/twenty years back in time in some ways

yeah i mean its either this or rich playground cities like portland has become. weirdly the infrustructure here is way better than i was used to in pdx, i have fiber optic internet now lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Red Baron posted:

Lake Charles is nice this time of year I’m told

shut the gently caress up!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

gary, indiana

the water front is all working steel mill though.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The north shore of Indiana is pretty, especially the dunes, but it's been an industrial area for over a century and lol at voluntarily living on that polluted poo poo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lincoln City is the absolute worst part of the Oregon Coast. Don’t go there

that whole southern Oregon coast and a bit of northern CA has the least temp variation in the country. I think it's only 30 or 40 degrees between the absolute min and max all year?

Meanwhile here in Minneapolis we are at the max. something like 130

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

euphronius posted:

Chicago does not feature relatively prominently in America mass media so I guess it doesnt “feel” as important as it is

Andy Richter Controls The Universe was set there

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

*soprano voice*

I got your vitamin D right here!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Andy Richter Controls The Universe was set there

also Happy Endings

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

small beach town seems like a neat place to live.

do any exist that aren’t playgrounds for the rich?

sort of. like distressed lovely southern states have some.

in terms of not entirely dogshit, parts of the mendocino coast up through eureka and into southern oregon aren't super rich playgrounds, but definitely more expensive than just off it. that said the beaches are kinda lovely and cold and not like fun drunk beaches

e: legal weed has ruined many of these places though and heavily gentrified them now that they arent scared of mendo grow ops, but still they aren't rich playgrounds, mostly rich ppl vacation homes that are vacant 90% of the year

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Jan 20, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Xaris posted:

also Happy Endings

A decent show.

Y'all are forgetting the greatest sitcom of all time, though:

Four touchdowns in a single game for Polk High.

E: Ed O'Neill owns

https://www.kshb.com/sports/al-bundy-congratulates-chiefs-te-travis-kelce-for-4-touchdown-game

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Jan 20, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

never mind

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

lol 4+ years ago and still unobtainable

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Even those numbers are kind of silly since they assume a 20% down payment and don't account for anything except monthly payments. I don't doubt that they're technically accurate for 2018, but you're probably not living comfortably with a mortgage if you're anywhere close to those salary numbers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bullshit on all of those numbers

edit

oh it’s 2018

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i think i want a condo instead of a house. houses are like a boat, have to fix some bullshit everyday you use it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The only place you're buying a home in Pittsburgh on $38k is a neighborhood you're going to get shot, and you're never saving the down payment on $38K/year anyway

Those ratings of "inexpensive areas to own a house" are bullshit, it's only the worst housing that's cheaper. Desirable property is still expensive just about anywhere.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Lower teaser rates for housing are back, apparently.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/some-home-builders-are-offering-mortgage-rates-as-low-as-3-heres-how-and-why-theyre-doing-it-11674145343

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's basically a ploy to get people into overpriced homes because the alternatives are sitting on inventory or cutting prices. Cutting prices would be objectively better for everyone over the long run because it'd drive prices for existing homes down, which is exactly why they're trying to bring buyers in with lower rates instead.

Basically one weird trick to keep selling homes at crazy prices in a locked market.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

those are the new normal prices

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
lol
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3511-Davis-St-Evanston-IL-60203/3521306_zpid/

another example of a 3bd/1.5ba/1600 sqft house sold in '07 (for 405k) that has just sat for 16 years now and not even made it back to nominal value (zestimate 350k). and probably worth even less now that interest rates doubled. this is in a nice area, school right nearby, bla bla. cheap property taxes for the area though of a mere 4k!

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Jan 20, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

lol
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3511-Davis-St-Evanston-IL-60203/3521306_zpid/

another example of a 3bd/1.5ba/1600 sqft house sold in '07 (for 405k) that has just sat for 16 years now and not even made it back to nominal value (zestimate 350k). and probably worth even less now that interest rates doubled. this is in a nice area, school right nearby, bla bla. cheap property taxes for the area though of a mere 4k!

How long has zillow been giving "zestimates" on rental values for single-family homes? That's the first time I've noticed it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

103K for nyc ok lol

do they have an updated one for 2022? lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

the 2022 version has the income spikes come off the page and into our brains - killing us instantly

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

103K for nyc ok lol

do they have an updated one for 2022? lol

It's a bullshit chart that IIRC just assumes you magically have a down payment. With housing costs going up as they are right now, it's not really possible for a buyer right now to pick a house within their means and save a down payment before that house appreciates out of their price range.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

the 2022 version has the income spikes come off the page and into our brains - killing us instantly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

lol

less than 2 baths is a tough sell

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Any detached house in my area that's even vaguely affordable is guaranteed to have less than 2 full bathrooms. It's the one thing that can still completely poison a house's sale value because only single people and childless couples are willing to put up with sharing one shower.

Every flipper who buys a split level around here will inevitably shove a shower into the (often tiny) family room bathroom so they can relist the house as having 2.5 bathrooms.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

less than 2 baths is a tough sell

more cheap houses for me

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's the one thing that can still completely poison a house's sale value because only single people and childless couples are willing to put up with sharing one shower.

I grew up in a house with eight kids and one bathroom, it's fine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just flip the garage into a bathroom with a jaccuzzi tub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I grew up in a house with eight kids and one bathroom, it's fine

Not saying it's not fine, but most people will balk at it.