Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Don't Look Up is that one meme of "I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards" taken at its most literal. Still probably a good thing to have put out into the world to try and get society to unfuck itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Its so absurd yet so accurate and real. (Also, only 1 of 2 3 Newsroom clips that should ever be played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXRaTnKDXA

I never watched Newsroom but I think I saw that clip on here and spent a week despairing over whether it was maliciously irresponsible for us to have had a child in this stupid world or not.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

swickles posted:

That's what I mean. They had enough obvious spoof charcters, like the Bezos/Musk mashup guy, Jonah Hill, etc. The leads and some of the minor characters like wife and family being real is what gave it the reach. That and the mind bogglingly stupid decisions which we would 100% do in that scenario.

Its also why this clip is so funny/sad. Its so absurd yet so accurate and real. (Also, only 1 of 2 3 Newsroom clips that should ever be played.

I love when Toby responds “that would have been great!”

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

swickles posted:

That's what I mean. They had enough obvious spoof charcters, like the Bezos/Musk mashup guy, Jonah Hill, etc. The leads and some of the minor characters like wife and family being real is what gave it the reach. That and the mind bogglingly stupid decisions which we would 100% do in that scenario.

Its also why this clip is so funny/sad. Its so absurd yet so accurate and real. (Also, only 1 of 2 3 Newsroom clips that should ever be played.

I've never seen the show, but is one of the clips something about being on an airplane and announcing Osama Bin Laden is dead?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I've never seen the show, but is one of the clips something about being on an airplane and announcing Osama Bin Laden is dead?

Yes, that is the 2nd funniest clip form the Newsroom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

The funniest is the Gabrielle Giffords/Fix You scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ECgjvStB5U

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

From everything I saw about it, The Newsroom was a pretty terrible show. The climate change clip is still pretty good though, and depressing as all gently caress. I never watched Don't Look Up because I really didn't need a movie to tell me something I already know. I think I just would've gotten more depressed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I don’t know what this vendor is trying to sell us but they wanted us to try a bunch of king cakes.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

swickles posted:

Yes, that is the 2nd funniest clip form the Newsroom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

I love shows about good people doing the right thing, no matter how hard it is. Thank you, Aaron! Back to watching Curb

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

From everything I saw about it, The Newsroom was a pretty terrible show. The climate change clip is still pretty good though, and depressing as all gently caress. I never watched Don't Look Up because I really didn't need a movie to tell me something I already know. I think I just would've gotten more depressed.

Yup, it's not quite Studio 60 levels of bad (which also contained a lot of fun bad along with eye rolling bad), and there are some genuinely good performances in it. Overall however its not particularly fun and definitely takes itself way too seriously.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the "america used to be the greatest" speech was also pretty drat funny

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Intruder posted:

the "america used to be the greatest" speech was also pretty drat funny

That’s also still shared around Facebook unironically.

e: this is also the show that headfakes you with an “Allison Pill got raped in Africa” subplot. The writing is awful but the performances are very good.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 20, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Silly Burrito posted:

I don’t know what this vendor is trying to sell us but they wanted us to try a bunch of king cakes.

Were they selling king cakes?

I want a king cake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

lol I hadn't seen this before, thank you. Evil Danny from The Mindy Project threw me for a loop.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
sorkinchat, I saw the stage production of To Kill A Mockingbird and it was well done. He slips the characters in and out of 3rd person in a really seamless way and didn't go overboard with the one liners. It's worth a see.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nutted but he still sorkin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

C-Euro posted:

lol I hadn't seen this before, thank you. Evil Danny from The Mindy Project threw me for a loop.

The newsman saved Giffords’ life

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Were they selling king cakes?

I want a king cake.

You ever swing by here and I’ll hook you up with the best boudin balls and king cake in the area (assuming it’s king cake season).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sensiblechuckle.webm

https://twitter.com/repbillfoster/status/1616267380350410754?s=46&t=NBKmD5PoAfubySn5bvhGGQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Silly Burrito posted:

You ever swing by here and I’ll hook you up with the best boudin balls and king cake in the area (assuming it’s king cake season).

I've been to Louisiana a couple times and I'm ok with this offer.

Mainly because the NOLA Donuts chain here in PDX closed and I got no place to get beignets. Yes I've had the beignets from Cafe du Monde

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Haha, it was kind of tired and played out, but he got me with the "imaginary numbers" line.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
In these days my friends there is so much information online and so much of it is wrong. It is critical to find a verified expert with real bona fides in whatever field you want to learn about. If you want to add dense, vascular, juicy red slabs of thick functional dense striated muscle…I suggest doing everything Dr Mike Israetel says.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

In these days my friends there is so much information online and so much of it is wrong. It is critical to find a verified expert with real bona fides in whatever field you want to learn about. If you want to add dense, vascular, juicy red slabs of thick functional dense striated muscle…I suggest doing everything Dr Mike Israetel says.

I want thick functional dense striated muscles.

Dr. MIKE it is. Ty for the resource.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've been using Ryan Humiston's programs and watching his YT vids and it's kinda revolutionised the way I lift. I get worse doms but have had less niggling tendon strains and little injuries and have gained more lean size in the last year than I did in the previous 2. His programs are really cheap too, like 20 bucks for 5 weeks of 5 days. He's currently doing a bunch of testing videos lately on what muscles are activated best by what exercise and grips using some kind of electrical current... thing. I dunno it's all witch craft to me but his meathead jokes and self deprecating style make me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/@RyanHumiston/featured

These things are such a blight on my state we're famous for them. Our state of origin rugby league team is even named after them. We kind of have this weird cultural thing to kill them on site here, that's instilled in us as kids. So much so my grandad used to have an old bayonet fixed to a broom handle for just that purpose. The greenies tell us to catch them in plastic bags and put them in a freezer but I don't think that's how most of them meet their end. It was funny one day at the range there were at couple on the hill and no one on the firing line bothered with a paper target for the first little while.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 20, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Newsroom was so hilariously terrible that I think the fact it got cancelled before they could talk about Ferguson is proof of a loving and intervening God. Occasionally you get a glimpse of why we liked Sorkin, but then theired be poo poo like the Osama Bin Laden thing.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

BlindSite posted:

These things are such a blight on my state we're famous for them. Our state of origin rugby league team is even named after them. We kind of have this weird cultural thing to kill them on site here, that's instilled in us as kids. So much so my grandad used to have an old bayonet fixed to a broom handle for just that purpose. The greenies tell us to catch them in plastic bags and put them in a freezer but I don't think that's how most of them meet their end. It was funny one day at the range there were at couple on the hill and no one on the firing line bothered with a paper target for the first little while.

Are those the ones where there's a clip from the news of a guy talking about how much he hates them, then they film him driving away and he swerves all over hitting them?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I've been using Ryan Humiston's programs and watching his YT vids and it's kinda revolutionised the way I lift. I get worse doms but have had less niggling tendon strains and little injuries and have gained more lean size in the last year than I did in the previous 2. His programs are really cheap too, like 20 bucks for 5 weeks of 5 days. He's currently doing a bunch of testing videos lately on what muscles are activated best by what exercise and grips using some kind of electrical current... thing. I dunno it's all witch craft to me but his meathead jokes and self deprecating style make me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/@RyanHumiston/featured

Stupid little tendon strains and muscles pains are hampering me!!!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

Newsroom was so hilariously terrible that I think the fact it got cancelled before they could talk about Ferguson is proof of a loving and intervening God. Occasionally you get a glimpse of why we liked Sorkin, but then theired be poo poo like the Osama Bin Laden thing.

Yeah it’s wild how he is capable of such greatness like the Moneyball screenplay, but is so susceptible to succlib horseshit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I feel like Sorkin could probably make some interesting movies and tv shows if he just adapted interesting poo poo from history. Like if he did a movie about the fall of the berlin wall or something it would probably be amazing, but when he's left to his own devices for story and theme I feel he probably sits in a room huffing his own farts.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
A Few Good Men will always rule

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pron on VHS posted:

God it’s so so good

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Right now I want to have technomancy or whatever so this dumb as hell encruption issue would be solved. You would think ALL state government email addresses would be able to open encrypted emails but no, nope. At least the county seems to be able to open them though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

I'm curious as to how the preferred method of killing them is supposed to be kinder. It sounds a lot like 'I'll put you in a plastic bag and suffocate you, but if that doesn't work I'll freeze you to death.'

Also looks like you'd need a lot of freezer space.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Watched the first two episodes of Trigun Stampede today. It's not bad, but now after watching it, I'm also in the camp of "why is Roberto a character?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorkin has the problem of being successful enough that nobody gets to edit him. He needs a good, harsh editor, basically, someone he can't overrule somehow. Also someone to write some dialogue so it doesn't all sound like Aaron Sorkin Speaking Out of <actor>'s Mouth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pron on VHS posted:

The American President also still holds up. Rob Reiner can make Sorkin's dialogue work.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

Sorkin has the problem of being successful enough that nobody gets to edit him. He needs a good, harsh editor, basically, someone he can't overrule somehow. Also someone to write some dialogue so it doesn't all sound like Aaron Sorkin Speaking Out of <actor>'s Mouth.

My gf and I have been watching the X-Files recently and we're at the point that we start to groan whenever an episode opens with a Voice Over because we know we're in 45 minutes of purestrain Chris Carter navel gazing

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Shinji2015 posted:

Watched the first two episodes of Trigun Stampede today. It's not bad, but now after watching it, I'm also in the camp of "why is Roberto a character?"

I thought the second episode was way better than the first. Some good trigun energy. Also agree that it still seems weird for Roberto to exist.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Bought an OLED ultrawide monitor and holy poo poo this thing is ridiculous

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hot Diggity! posted:

Bought an OLED ultrawide monitor and holy poo poo this thing is ridiculous

How’s that baby feel? Posting at new highs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

I was pretty sad about the Dong Phuong king cake. I wanted it to be so good and it was aight. I still ate it but it wasn't nearly as delicious as I needed it to be.