Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I kinda liked the 90s Casper movie. The Ghostbusters cameo is probably canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

But why the gently caress did Ray have a mustache in that cameo? Did Aykroyd just show up on set with that and refuse to shave it off? Or was it a fig leaf to avoid a lawsuit?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AceOfFlames posted:

But why the gently caress did Ray have a mustache in that cameo? Did Aykroyd just show up on set with that and refuse to shave it off? Or was it a fig leaf to avoid a lawsuit?

Maybe Ray was jealous of Winston's?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm pretty sure a dude can grow a mustache even if it is Dan Aykroyd

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

grittyreboot posted:

I love how I Heart Radio will beg people to buy ad spots by claiming tens of millions of millennials and zoomers actually do listen to the radio. Immediately after the classic rock station will do some stupid station ID with a confused boomer joke about pronouns.

You can buy an ad for just 1 dime down

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And it's even likely a single Ghostbuster without backup fails badly against three smarter than usual ghosts. And I bet Casper tried to encourage him, and didn't help.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's even likely a single Ghostbuster without backup fails badly against three smarter than usual ghosts. And I bet Casper tried to encourage him, and didn't help.

We don't even know if the three uncles are smarter than average, or the Ghostbusters are just bad at what they do. Three of them got their asses handed to them by a librarian, and they had to use a trap to catch a jogger.

I will admit the three uncles are probably much more sadistic than your average ghost though, so that probably counts for a lot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I AM GRANDO posted:

Eli Roth wrote and directed Knock Knock, which presents itself as a self-aware pastiche of this kind of movie, where dangerous teenagers seduce a family man into loving them, and one of the teenagers is played by Eli Roth’s wife, who is 20 years younger than him.

Knock-Knock has my second favorite Keanu Reeves monologue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLgGT18KUzE

IT WAS FREE PIZZA
FREE FUCKIN PIZZA

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Randalor posted:

We don't even know if the three uncles are smarter than average, or the Ghostbusters are just bad at what they do. Three of them got their asses handed to them by a librarian, and they had to use a trap to catch a jogger.

They use the trap on all the ghosts. It's how you catch a ghost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Not only that, using the trap on the jogger was the smartest bust they made because they got the ghost to run into the trap. Normally they had to force it in with containment beams from the proton packs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Trap in the sense of "Wait for the ghost to run into the predetermined spot and use the device", not trap in the sense of "small box that sucks in ghosts". It was smart, but it's not like the guy was actually hurting anyone, he was just... jogging.

Has any Ghostbusters media done anything with the ghosts doing a class-acrion lawsuit against the Ghostbusters/city for discrimination against the non-corporeal?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Randalor posted:

Has any Ghostbusters media done anything with the ghosts doing a class-acrion lawsuit against the Ghostbusters/city for discrimination against the non-corporeal?

It's possible, there were a lot of episodes of "The Real Ghostbusters" and the sort of continuation/sequel series "Slimer! And The Real Ghostbusters."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Real_Ghostbusters_episodes

Looks like 140 regualr episodes total.

I know that in The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, the Containment Unit was basically another dimension. Almost like The Phantom Zone, but for ghosts. Honestly, seemed like a good time, just get to party it up 24/7 with your ghost pals.

And, in true "the enemy of the original piece of media is now our friend/mascot" fashion, the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man sort-of becomes a good guy? In one or two episodes, they somehow let him out of the containment unit so he can just sort of walk around in a parade, or something? I distinctly remember one episode where a different, "evil", ghost hitches a ride with Stay-Puft when he gets pulled out of containment so he can wreck havoc again.

Even though the intro still has The Ghostbusters busting Stay-Puft as he makes an angry face.

Fake edit: Read a lot of episodes descriptions and found the one I was remembering:

"Sticky Business"

quote:

The Ghostbusters release the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from the containment unit to shoot a commercial in exchange for getting $50,000 for a children's hospital. During the process of letting Stay Puft out, a vicious manta ray-like phantom escapes in order to seek revenge against the Ghostbusters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's weird as Stay Puft wasn't a ghost and was never captured. He was a god walking the streets of New York with the mind to destroy it because that was his job as Gozer the Destroyer's physical form. He wasn't the Stay Puft Marshallow Man, he just inhabited that mascot's body.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Eli Roth wrote and directed Knock Knock, which presents itself as a self-aware pastiche of this kind of movie, where dangerous teenagers seduce a family man into loving them, and one of the teenagers is played by Eli Roth’s wife, who is 20 years younger than him.

i don't get the ending. like the implication is that the family is going to think he was cheating, right? and not tortured and raped? but they'll also find him bloodied and beaten and buried in the garden, sooo...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah and he got blown up at the end! I wonder how much of that marshmallow that got everywhere was pre-toasted. Seems kinda delicious.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Crespolini posted:

i don't get the ending. like the implication is that the family is going to think he was cheating, right? and not tortured and raped? but they'll also find him bloodied and beaten and buried in the garden, sooo...

HopperUK posted:

Yeah and he got blown up at the end! I wonder how much of that marshmallow that got everywhere was pre-toasted. Seems kinda delicious.

Wow this movie sounds nuts

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Paper Tiger posted:

Wow this movie sounds nuts

I thought about editing and then I decided I liked it better as it was

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Crespolini posted:

They framed him for murdering his wife's assistant by implying he got caught cheating, yeah. The original Death Game has a wilder ending.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What did you do, Ray?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Toshimo posted:

They framed him for murdering his wife's assistant by implying he got caught cheating, yeah. The original Death Game has a wilder ending.

so the idea is he kills the assistant, then ties himself up and buries himself? i'm just not clear on this at all

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Crespolini posted:

so the idea is he kills the assistant, then ties himself up and buries himself? i'm just not clear on this at all

It's a badly written ending, but the short version is: It doesn't matter. They posted the video of him cheating on his wife to social media. Between that and the murder, it doesn't really matter what the facts are, his life is ruined.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

yeah i guess

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Toshimo posted:

It's a badly written ending, but the short version is: It doesn't matter. They posted the video of him cheating on his wife to social media. Between that and the murder, it doesn't really matter what the facts are, his life is ruined.

I think he’ll be fine

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AceOfFlames posted:

Based on the timing alone, I think he was probably filming Exit to Eden around the same time, where his character has a moustache.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Phylodox posted:

Based on the timing alone, I think he was probably filming Exit to Eden around the same time, where his character has a moustache.

Wait, they didn't have CGI de-mustaching technology in 1995? Concerning

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Should have just painted over it, like Cesar Romero.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Randalor posted:

Maybe a church would sue them for preventing their captured spirits from entering the afterlife

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Push El Burrito posted:

What did you do, Ray?

"I tried to think of something that could never, ever destroy us." and Keanu Reeves' dick marches around the corner

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Keanu's family watches the video and all they see is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzolJjO_1Bs

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
WTF there was a murder in Knock-Knock?!

I totally thought they were just loving with him just to gently caress with him. I totally missed an actual motive.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

the girls did the murder or at least contributed by stealing the inhalor i think, that was all part of the loving

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I keep hearing that Keanu is really chill, yet his car valets and dog sitters are scared witless of screwing up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BioEnchanted posted:

I still like Mouse Hunt, it's got great comedic timing. I love the context behind the line "Now you know, this house will last FOREVER!"

It's a really solid modern-day Laurel & Hardy type thing. Not much depth to it, but it works in a kind of timeless way.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Doing a re-read of the Sherlock Holmes books and in A Study in Scarlet Holmes is in the study he shares with Watson, pondering a case. He goes "these innocuous-seeming pills from the crime scene are actually poison!" and proves it by feeding it to Watson's pet terrier, killing it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Doing a re-read of the Sherlock Holmes books and in A Study in Scarlet Holmes goes "these innocuous-seeming pills are actually poison!" and proves it by feeding it to Watson's pet terrier, killing it.

I don't know how he had space to describe pet murder with that long digression into anti-Mormon propaganda.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know how he had space to describe pet murder with that long digression into anti-Mormon propaganda.

And yet ACD only got hate mail for calling out the KKK as evil

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a study in scarlet was published in 1887 and the book of mormon was printed in 1830 so the book of mormon was actually younger than dianetics is now at the time

neat

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Doing a re-read of the Sherlock Holmes books and in A Study in Scarlet Holmes is in the study he shares with Watson, pondering a case. He goes "these innocuous-seeming pills from the crime scene are actually poison!" and proves it by feeding it to Watson's pet terrier, killing it.

Speaking of reading Holmes today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5QVo6Rio-Q

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Words taking on new meanings can produce interesting results. Here are two from Agatha Christie.

Miss Marple is often described as a "pussy" or sometimes an "old pussy". Just look at this line by her Scotland Yard nephew - the guy who usually invites her to take part in police investigations.
“it’s my own particular, one and only, four-starred Pussy. The super Pussy of all old Pussies.”
From A Murder is Announced.

In Three Act Tragedy, Poirot is talking to a young woman about her plans to marry a middle aged man. When he asks her what she thinks of the man's reputation as a womanizer she replies with something like "I like a man to have had affairs, it shows he's not queer." This one got updated to "it shows he's properly red-blooded" in the latest tv adaption so it no longer sounds like the most sympathetic character in the story suddenly goes out of her way to inform Poirot she's homophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

That's weird as Stay Puft wasn't a ghost and was never captured. He was a god walking the streets of New York with the mind to destroy it because that was his job as Gozer the Destroyer's physical form. He wasn't the Stay Puft Marshallow Man, he just inhabited that mascot's body.

The cartoon is a separate continuity from the movie. (which is implied to exist in-universe in one episode)

They also had a couple of comics spinoffs/continuations, the IDW one in particular had the Ghostbusters meet their cartoon counterparts. And also the Ninja Turtles.

Supposedly the Containment Unit is indeed actually a very pleasant place for ghosts, supposedly a lot like a Pharaoh's tomb or similar prestigious resting place. Funny thing is that the cartoon mostly implies this when they go to a bizarro universe where ghosts are scared of humans and the Peoplebusters catch them, and the containment unit the Ghostbusters ends up in is an idyllic meadow.