Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

The other thread is speculating that tainted flour is what spread the fungus around and it seems plausible with the stuff they mention, like how they didn’t eat pancakes or cookies and whatnot. But if you think about it a bit more it kinda falls apart in my mind.

Like I posted earlier, this is taken straight from the game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Like I said in the other thread, it’s ridiculous for cordyceps to survive being baked but no more ridiculous than the rest of the cordyceps aspects in the series. It wouldn’t work on a central nervous system, it wouldn’t magically give sonar vision, it wouldn’t make you super strong over time.

The wheat thing is fine.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
TLOU2 could be adapted into one season. Four episodes for Ellie, four episodes for Abby, ninth episode for the final bit in California. Yes, they would have to chop it down by a lot but that would be inevitable given the scope of that game.

Even this season is pared down compared to the first game because TV shows aren't gonna have long stretches dedicated to playable parts (no Joel climbing his way out of that hotel/apartment basement, and in terms of story/economy 90% of their trip to the college can get yanked out too). If anything, this season shows they have a pretty good idea of where to change the game in ways that are practical/logical for the TV format.

Also episode 2 is directed by Druckmann.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Like I said in the other thread, it’s ridiculous for cordyceps to survive being baked but no more ridiculous than the rest of the cordyceps aspects in the series. It wouldn’t work on a central nervous system, it wouldn’t magically give sonar vision, it wouldn’t make you super strong over time.

The wheat thing is fine.

Like I was saying in the other thread, just handwoven it as ancient spores that don't mind the heat that were awake from the ice or whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

The wheat thing is fine.

Nothing about it works in either the game or the show if you think about it too much, but I'm fine with it because it's zombies. That's really the main reason I didn't like the opening segment of the show. Felt like the show wasn't confident enough to just roll with it and had to legitimatize the threat even though it's all silly fantasy. It's a perfectly fine thing to just hand wave.

Also, even back when the game came out the cordyceps thing sort of made me laugh, because there was some super viral video that was going around about it around the time TLOU would have been in development and my first thought was "oh I guess Naughty Dog watched that Youtube video too"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The opening broke my immersion when the scientist guy didn't get laughed off stage for proposing the ridiculous science fiction scenario of the earth suddenly warming by a couple degrees celsius

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Nothing about it works in either the game or the show if you think about it too much, but I'm fine with it because it's zombies. That's really the main reason I didn't like the opening segment of the show. Felt like the show wasn't confident enough to just roll with it and had to legitimatize the threat even though it's all silly fantasy. It's a perfectly fine thing to just hand wave.

Also, even back when the game came out the cordyceps thing sort of made me laugh, because there was some super viral video that was going around about it around the time TLOU would have been in development and my first thought was "oh I guess Naughty Dog watched that Youtube video too"

Girl With All the Gifts was written at the same time, too.

Last of Us isn't just zombies, it's weird looking giant bloated mushrooms chasing people around. You have to give a base "reason" when introducing something new and fantastic to fiction. The Thing had to have an alien ship to explain what was going on. Body Snatchers needed alien spores. Even Night of the Living Dead has sattelite radiation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh don't get me wrong, Cordyceps is a great zombie excuse. I just don't think they needed to make it feel "real" via an otherwise unrelated exposition dump at the beginning. The game didn't have anything like that and it didn't cause anyone to question the premise any more or less than they will with the talk show scene.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, Cordyceps is a great zombie excuse. I just don't think they needed to make it feel "real" via an otherwise unrelated exposition dump at the beginning. The game didn't have anything like that and it didn't cause anyone to question the premise any more or less than they will with the talk show scene.

Wider audience. People have no idea what those are, while gamers tend to walk around reading everything and stuff where you can give that info outside of cutscenes. It was just a way to let everyone who didn't know what those are, what they are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Wider audience. People have no idea what those are, while gamers tend to walk around reading everything and stuff where you can give that info outside of cutscenes. It was just a way to let everyone who didn't know what those are, what they are.

Plus they changed it slightly, they said they're not doing it via spores like in the game they have it starting out like ergot like mentioned in the prologue (they make a point to have Joel and Sarah both avoid eating bread products throughout the first act of the episode). So without the easy visual of oh hey lookit all these spores in the air or the zombies giving off spores as they bite you or whatever it's perfectly reasonable to have that info there to explain it (because hey even if someone isn't a "wider audience" person I'm sure there's people who haven't played the game and also happened to not see a clip of cordyceps fungus working its magic and stuff).

It was also a good way to immediately establish it as different from a "regular" viral outbreak like a lot of zombie stuff and how it's a real deal force of nature level thing where a couple of years later someone gets on TV and says "us rich people are bored with this let's just pretend it doesn't exist stop working from home folks" or whatever.

I think it was a good decision to differentiate the origin and the starting year of the game like this given our current times.

I think not using the spores was a smart idea because of how inconsistent the danger of them is even in just the first game and how if it were "really" spores even in just the first game the entire world would be dead like 5x over by the time 20 year time jump happens. Like you take off your gas mask because you exited a spore zone, like there's still spores all over your clothing and mask and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 20, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot what year does the outbreak start in the show? I know the game is 2013 when it came out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

2003. They pulled it forward 10 years so the show could be set in present day

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

acksplode posted:

Which I feel like actually works really well. Setting the initial outbreak in the wake of 9/11, in the middle of the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts while fears of terrorism are still at a high, just seems appropriate for a fictional pandemic and for muddying the reaction and response to it. Not that we need anything to make pandemic response a clusterfuck, as we've seen over the past few years

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

acksplode posted:

Also because it’s a lot cheaper to get ruined vehicles and such from 2003.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

justlikedunkirk posted:

TLOU2 could be adapted into one season. Four episodes for Ellie, four episodes for Abby, ninth episode for the final bit in California. Yes, they would have to chop it down by a lot but that would be inevitable given the scope of that game.

Even this season is pared down compared to the first game because TV shows aren't gonna have long stretches dedicated to playable parts (no Joel climbing his way out of that hotel/apartment basement, and in terms of story/economy 90% of their trip to the college can get yanked out too). If anything, this season shows they have a pretty good idea of where to change the game in ways that are practical/logical for the TV format.

Also episode 2 is directed by Druckmann.

TLOU2 could be adapted into one season, but I seriously doubt that with that much material and a clear love for and desire to service the source material I doubt Mazin would want to. He’s basically hinted as much anyways when asked in interviews about adapting 2 for a theoretical season two, pointing out how much longer it is as a complete narrative than 1 is.

Like 1 has, charitably speaking, like maybe 12 hours of narrative to work through, even with no expansion like they’re doing with episode 3 being basically all Bill and Frank backstory or the hint that they’re doing an entire episode about the backstory for Ellie’s mom, and also the fact they’re doing Left Behind in this season. Again, all that is super doable in one season of television. 2 has like 30ish hours of narrative, not even counting a 3-4 hour coda dealing with Ellie going to and then leaving the farm and doing a final confrontation against Abby/Lev. The scales are completely different. It absolutely could be cut down to one season, but if the last of us becomes the critical and ratings hit it already is than HBO is absolutely not gonna want them to rush it (see also: how they begged Benioff and Weiss to take their time and really plot out the final season, and were totally willing to just throw money at them to basically do whatever they wanted) and unless Mazin instantaneously becomes super sick of TLOU, and considering this is basically his dream project I severely doubt that will happen, I can’t see them rushing through and hacking their way to do a theoretical season 2.

Like from every perspective I just don’t see it happening. Mazin is a huge, enormous fan of TLOU and stresses how he wants to do right by the property first over literally anything else. It’s a big hit already so HBO is not gonna exert studio pressure to wrap it up. Druckmann has talked about the development hell previous adaptations went through for the sheer reason that he was unwilling to cut down his narrative for a movie, and it was Mazin who actually “got it” and had the cachet and respect for the source material to bring this project across the finish line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

404notfound posted:

Which I feel like actually works really well. Setting the initial outbreak in the wake of 9/11, in the middle of the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts while fears of terrorism are still at a high, just seems appropriate for a fictional pandemic and for muddying the reaction and response to it. Not that we need anything to make pandemic response a clusterfuck, as we've seen over the past few years

They can cheat and borrow notes from the SARS outbreak, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
UNITES STATES

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Guess who's colorblind and did not realize that the scanner flashed red when they scanned that kid? That'd be me! I thought the kid was in the clear and that woman was being sincere talking about food and toys and stuff. A nice moment in this awful world, I thought to myself like a moron.

Von Pluring fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 20, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If the games are any indication then there's hope for better accessibility options in the second season

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Lol, yeah, good point.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm never a fan of games or movies trying to explain that sort of stuff too in depth because they always get it wrong. The Road is one of the best post apocalypse films ever made and one of its strengths is that it just never tells you the cause, because it doesn't matter.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

acksplode posted:

The opening broke my immersion when the scientist guy didn't get laughed off stage for proposing the ridiculous science fiction scenario of the earth suddenly warming by a couple degrees celsius

Which hadn't happened yet by 2003. Kinda weird to set the climate apocalypse in the past

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm never a fan of games or movies trying to explain that sort of stuff too in depth because they always get it wrong. The Road is one of the best post apocalypse films ever made and one of its strengths is that it just never tells you the cause, because it doesn't matter.

I liked how Fallout 2 explained the nuclear war : "The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, were purely human ones."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

Guess who's colorblind and did not realize that the scanner flashed red when they scanned that kid? That'd be me! I thought the kid was in the clear and that woman was being sincere talking about food and toys and stuff. A nice moment in this awful world, I thought to myself like a moron.

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought “maybe this is a fakeout and that’s just the color of the backlight”, but the lady laid it on real thick about the ice cream, so I wasn’t in doubt for long.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I didn't think the added scenes helped the opening out very much, to be honest, even if some of them are some genuinely pretty good horror. If I had to guess it might really be them setting up the bread thing.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Von Pluring posted:

Guess who's colorblind and did not realize that the scanner flashed red when they scanned that kid? That'd be me!
Goddamnit Von Pluring, that's the 5th infected person you've let through the checkpoint since you started. You're fired.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

AFewBricksShy posted:

Goddamnit Von Pluring, that's the 5th infected person you've let through the checkpoint since you started. You're fired.

"Sorry sir, I'm doing the best I can!" spaceballs.jpg

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Von Pluring posted:

So it shows up as green for you?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Green could easily mean positive and red could mean negative.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Von Pluring posted:

Don't feel bad, my daughters actually started arguing because one thought red meant 'negative', as in not positive for the fungus, while the other thought red meant 'bad' as in 'this kid is gonna die'.

We went back and forth on it till they tossed the kid in the burn pit and then went ohhhhhh

Caros
May 14, 2008

stev posted:

Yeah, that is a very bad system. I didn't pick up on it being a fail for quite a while because in my mind it was 'nope, no zombie here!'

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Boris Galerkin posted:

So it shows up as green for you?

I'm just bad at distinguising between certain shades of green and red and brown (and also between blue and purple), so I sort of "filter out" color information and don't really think about it, since it's so unreliable, if that makes any sense.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah please hire someone else

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Caros posted:

Yeah, that is a very bad system. I didn't pick up on it being a fail for quite a while because in my mind it was 'nope, no zombie here!'

Only the person running the system needs to know what the colours mean.

The responses saying red could mean not infected though reminded me why I hate UI tickets at work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kaedric posted:

Don't feel bad, my daughters actually started arguing because one thought red meant 'negative', as in not positive for the fungus, while the other thought red meant 'bad' as in 'this kid is gonna die'.

We went back and forth on it till they tossed the kid in the burn pit and then went ohhhhhh

I thought that for a second, but as soon as the kid got injected with that syringe and the lady was all "We're going to get you toys and food" I knew what was up.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Only the person running the system needs to know what the colours mean.

The responses saying red could mean not infected though reminded me why I hate UI tickets at work.

This is an issue of just consensus mattering though, so long as every told is red is death. Though, agreed maybe there should be a secondary indictor but its also the apocalypse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

stev posted:

They killed a lot of kids before they sorted this out

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Green is good and red is bad, you guys are really overthinking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

404notfound posted:

Green is good and red is bad, you guys are really overthinking it

this is the internet, pedantry is our Cordyceps.