Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Not saying it's not fine, but most people will balk at it.

People will balk at anything that doesn't look like this year's HGTV shows, that poo poo has utterly poisoned the public's brain with regards to what living spaces are supposed to look like. As I've posted before, a bunch of people passed on my house because there was no central island in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Any detached house in my area that's even vaguely affordable is guaranteed to have less than 2 full bathrooms. It's the one thing that can still completely poison a house's sale value because only single people and childless couples are willing to put up with sharing one shower.

Every flipper who buys a split level around here will inevitably shove a shower into the (often tiny) family room bathroom so they can relist the house as having 2.5 bathrooms.

This is super common where I live too. One bathroom, no air condition, unfinished basement, ‘garage’ that is a detached deteriorated shed is what you get around here for under half a million lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People will balk at anything that doesn't look like this year's HGTV shows, that poo poo has utterly poisoned the public's brain with regards to what living spaces are supposed to look like. As I've posted before, a bunch of people passed on my house because there was no central island in the kitchen.

lmao kitchen islands are the worst if you actually intend to use your kitchen

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Barn doors for a bedroom closet? And this is in a well-maintained 100 year old home near downtown in my smallish city. $400k for 1,400 square feet in Minnesota lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you don’t watch HGtV I guess

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'd laugh at the barn door people but my house is full of shoddily painted over wallpaper so I'm probably just as garbage as they are

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

lol i've seen those barn doors on under-sink cabinets

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I grew up in a house with eight kids and one bathroom, it's fine

no its not, more than 3 people showering a day basically guarantees the room never dehumidifies and you need to buy a standalone moisture remover. unless you enjoy permanently damp towels and a constant war against mold.

Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Barn doors for a bedroom closet? And this is in a well-maintained 100 year old home near downtown in my smallish city. $400k for 1,400 square feet in Minnesota lol.

this trend can't loving die soon enough and in the future people will look at that poo poo like we look at lovely 1980s wallpaper now

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

no its not, more than 3 people showering a day basically guarantees the room never dehumidifies and you need to buy a standalone moisture remover. unless you enjoy permanently damp towels and a constant war against mold.

What's it like in Earth-26 where windows and exhaust fans were never invented

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think people in coal county Pa are worried about mold

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Barn doors go everywhere. Put them everywhere. Barn door showers. Barn door cabinets. Got an empty wall? Put some loving barn doors that lead nowhere on it. Put barn doors across your hallway, don't worry about how you're going to open them. Your front door should be a barn door. If the primary structural component in your home isn't barn doors, what are you even doing.

Apr 7, 2003

"Everyone needs their own shower or the house will collapse into a cloud of mold" is the same sort of line as "everyone needs a three row SUV if they need kids," it's an excuse for the bougie excess you want to do anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mold was made up by Big Allergy to push maintenance shots .

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You should be buying as large a house as possible to make back as much money as possible. These are investments

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Chicago 69,69
nice

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

unlivable

surprised city inspections hasn’t condemned it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hgtv poisons my well being if I watch too much

some of the things tho that say the property bros or love it or list it do in renovations is inspiring

I know it unrealistic becuase they fake the budgets and timelines

but generally as mentioned way way too much white and subway tile

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anyone have any good barn door installation youtubes for a 06 prius

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

barn doors can be a space saver since they don’t swing out I guess

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want a tub that’s big enough for me to be in and maybe a kitchen with a garbage disposal

guillotine me if you must, for these lavish bourgeoise dreams

Apr 7, 2003

I have a claw foot tub that was made in the early 1900s

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

barn doors can be a space saver since they don’t swing out I guess

theyre just a new version of those unbelievably lovely hanging closet doors ive had in every bad apartment ive lived in

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

Our closets all had sliding doors (not exactly barn doors) that block off half of the closet even when they're open, so they've been disconnecting and placed in the laundry room for several years. Useless.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the second the rails or the hardware gets even a lityle bent theyre hosed forever

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Al! posted:

the second the rails or the hardware gets even a lityle bent theyre hosed forever

oh yeah, we're talking about the same doors. Trash. Disconnect them and you'll only have to deal with them once again when you move out.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
HGTV illusion that contractors are going to not fleece you.

the best HGTV show ever was real estate intervention. people just telling their horror stories of over extending and getting themselves in real poo poo. there is no room these days for shows that break the illusion. the closest is Holmes on homes but Holmes has been exiled to DIY network in the states.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah the contractors on love it or list on are like fairy tales

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

1 bathroom is fine but if i'm paying todays prices i'm getting 1.5 at least

Apr 7, 2003

This is from a house near me, has the exact same layout as mine

In order to make an en suite master bath they took the bonus room, blocked access to it from the central hallway, and punched a door into the wall from the second bedroom (which is now the master).

Barn door of course, because gently caress you

(also that picture's stretched to make it look bigger)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

love the contrasting floor patterns lol

Apr 7, 2003

They took the original bathroom and shaved a foot off / removed a closet so the house could have a second floor laundry when these places traditionally put them in the basement. So now what was formerly the main bathroom sucks rear end and now you have a laundry room that isn't wide enough to open a front loader door.

e: lol they kept the floorplan up

That "laundry" is made up from two perpendicular closets and a foot that was scraped out of the bathroom adjacent, and the owner's bath occupies the third bedroom / office space. enjoy zero storage space I guess

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Jan 20, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

less than 2 baths is a tough sell

a bunch of houses in our development have a pittsburgh shitter in the garage/basement of their split levels; and we were heckling one guy who took it out because its like what if you need to poo poo and the other bathroom is occupied! you're nuts!

we have a tiny kitchen without an island that seemed big coming from a poverty apartment but sucks horribly (and you have to go between the fridge and stove to get to the back door, basement door, and half bath); every other house has huge renovations to their kitchens. i guess when they were all built in the 40s/50s the assumption was the wife would stay at home cooking all day and no one would get in her way, but when two adults are both trying to use things to cook after work its just terrible.

I grew up in a house with eight kids and one bathroom, it's fine

it doesnt count when you just relieve yourself outside

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Jan 20, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Old houses have small kitchens because the expectation was that the servant would do the cooking. My dad's house (1926) had a servant quarters off the kitchen behind the pantry.

Apr 7, 2003

It's true, every house built in 1926 or before had live-in servants. Every single one.

Apr 7, 2003

The explanation may have more to do with older houses having dedicated dining rooms where people ate and less to do with every old house coming with hereditary servants

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Woke Mind Virus posted:

1 bathroom is fine but if i'm paying todays prices i'm getting 1.5 at least

This. I don't care if it's a Jack and Jill bathroom but I would like a spare shitter. Anyone who's had date night at Chili's understands why you need two shitters.

What I really want is a plumbed outhouse hooked to septic. Split farmhouse style door with a screen for the top, so I can wave at the neighbors as they drive off for work. Might as well put an outlet and a light out there, too. Just a free standing 4'x4' insulated building solely for taking shits, while a cool desert breeze takes care of ventilation.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

outdoor shower where the drain is a squatty potty

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Where I want to build, you can just put the shower head outside. Until winter. Which is why the poo poo shack would be insulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That catlick family with 10 kids I mentioned who lived in a row house across the street from where I grew up only had one bathroom, lol.