Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Microplastics posted:

Neanderthals (or rather, their dna) play a minor side role in a great scifi book I just finished reading called Seveneaves. It's a pretty epic tome clicking in at 900 pages but it is just fantastic.

I enjoyed the final section of that book a lot more than the earlier parts tbh and wished there'd been more of it!

If you enjoyed the somewhat bleak 'the world going to poo poo and people trying to do something, anything' vibe of Seveneves tho, then if you haven't already I'd strongly reccomend reading Stephen Baxter's books Flood and the sequel Ark, and then a short story collection Landfall that adds some more around the edges. Parts of them are very, very bleak though, fair warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I post in the biosphere collapse thread, I can handle bleak thank you very much :colbert:

(thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out!)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jesus Christ. Nightmare fuel

https://twitter.com/StuartKenny33/status/1616191332392763393

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Why was it important that they have sex twice?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

So they each get a turn

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Blobby Blobby

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This has just come across my radar. If you don't have sufficient photo ID to vote in person, you can now apply online for a Voter Authority Certificate. You just need a digital photo and your NI number.

Please spread the news far and wide, as I doubt the government will be advertising this service

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Blobby Blobby

:hmmyes:

If anyone wants to make a cursed :blobbyyes: then that would be something

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

the top right one where it has the blobby thumbs up as part of the toilet structure has me loving dying

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

This has just come across my radar. If you don't have sufficient photo ID to vote in person, you can now apply online for a Voter Authority Certificate. You just need a digital photo and your NI number.

Please spread the news far and wide, as I doubt the government will be advertising this service

Thanks.
Could be useful if there's a snap election - just applied for a new passport and put my current one in the post. I am now valid ID-less for the time it takes to get a new passport (says 'up to 10 weeks' on the passport site). I've applied online but if my existing one gets lost in the post, I'm doomed. (I have sent it signed for).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Don't know about the smarter, they do have a larger average brain size but that's a poor proxy for measuring intelligence. They were probably cognitively different (different but equal imo), e.g. their sites are far less structured than contemporary early anatomically modern ones. Moderns tend to have discreet areas for different things (make tools here, rubbish goes here, food prep here etc.) while Neanderthals seem to have just done anything anywhere in a big mess. (so yes, proto-goons :D )
They were definitely social, we have sites with carefully (tenderly even) buried remains, sometimes with multiple individuals over time. This famous dude Shanidar I also proves that they looked after their own since he lived to a fair age despite some pretty severe disabilities.

Cool fact, we have more evidence for pre anatomically modern hominins looking after each other than we do for hominin on hominin violence. Our distant ancestors were nice guys and gals.

Funnily enough "a big Joe Rogan being taken down by a dozen small Alexandrias Ocasio-Cortez" is a drat good description of how we think Neanderthals hunted.
We have no strong evidence for them having projectile weapons, there may be some possible wooden spear points now but I'm not up-to-date. This has big implications for how the hell they hunted the big animals that we know they did.

Trinkaus and his team did a study of all extant Neanderthal skeletal material finding a consistent pattern of healed fractures in certain places. Comparing this to modern populations the closest match is in wrestlers and rodeo riders. In his words (paraphrased) " this is a population that had frequent close quarter interactions with large angry animals". So it looks like they simply mobbed the musk ox/mammoth/whatever and just battered away with hand axes and the like.
Hard core.

That's probably enough of my prolix Neanderthal fanboying now.

If you were of a mind to, you could probably make a bit of cash writing a book called "neanderthal mindset" where you try to come up with ways in which you can be a big strong early hominid by not cleaning your room and keeping everything on the floor in a big pile.

fuctifino posted:

I drove past a big billboard mentioning the need to have ID to vote today, funnily.

E: sorry I just saw this in the bad food thread and you have to see it too.

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1616250615352393730

phillip schofield

and what loving tory psychopath wanted to eat ice lolly david cameron???

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 20, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

E: sorry I just saw this in the bad food thread and you have to see it too.

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1616250615352393730

phillip schofield

That reminded me of the Lee Anderson made from gammon that my AI shat out earlier today

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1616469381868822528

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
At least they decided not to ask the public ‘top or bottom half?’

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ha ha. Sunak’s been done for not wearing a seatbelt. Second police fine in a year

Edit: LOL

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 20, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wish he had been done in by not wearing a seatbelt

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What a bellend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who doesn't wear a seatbelt? For one thing the car screams at you if you forget and like, it's the easiest thing in the world to wear?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Don't know about the smarter, they do have a larger average brain size but that's a poor proxy for measuring intelligence. They were probably cognitively different (different but equal imo)
It's definitely one of those things that says as much about the people creating the metrics as the people (proto or otherwise) they're trying to measure, so it's probably a good thing that there's less "I've developed the one objective quantification of intelligence and it puts foreigners at the bottom and early-20th century behavioural scientists at the very top" and more "the ability of an individual to solve a problem and the ability of groups of individuals to communicate possible solutions between themselves are distinct forms of intelligence."

This is also why Michael Gove hates group tests and loves The Bell Curve, because he is a cephalopod and a racist.

OwlFancier posted:

If you were of a mind to, you could probably make a bit of cash writing a book called "neanderthal mindset" where you try to come up with ways in which you can be a big strong early hominid by not cleaning your room and keeping everything on the floor in a big pile.
The modern world is soy and cuck, you need to buy my books and then poo poo in the same drawer that you keep your tupperware in. Especially the books bit.

OwlFancier posted:

and what loving tory psychopath wanted to eat ice lolly david cameron???

radmonger posted:

At least they decided not to ask the public ‘top or bottom half?’

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Who doesn't wear a seatbelt? For one thing the car screams at you if you forget and like, it's the easiest thing in the world to wear?

Lots of people don’t wear them in the back, especially posh cunts being driven around. The fault here really lines with the absolutely abysmal Downing St film team - who as well as being grossly over staffed are absolutely terrible at their jobs. Any camera op/ director who works for broadcast would have spotted that it was a bad idea not have it on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Like most victims, Julie knew her killer."
*Sunak gets out of the back of the car without incident and closes her local hospital*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to ask if the queen ever got nicked for it but then I remembered you're literally not allowed because the person of the sovereign exudes an anti cop force field.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

EmptyVessel posted:

That's probably enough of my prolix Neanderthal fanboying now.

Naah, Neanderthals are endlessly fascinating!
I love that there was this bizarre era tens of thousands of years ago where Homo Sapiens, Neanderthalis, Erectus (snigger), Denosivian, Floresiensis and probably a whole bunch of other human species all shared the world together. Must have been like Dungeons and Dragons, with humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes and hobbits all chilling out in taverns together, probably.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

Ha ha. Sunak’s been done for not wearing a seatbelt. Second police fine in a year

And the crony donors are falling over themselves to be the privileged one to pay it for him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure I remember from when I did lessons that the driver of the car is responsible if any of the passengers are not wearing seat belts.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Shouldnt he have been in a booster seat?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I remember from when I did lessons that the driver of the car is responsible if any of the passengers are not wearing seat belts.

Passengers under 14.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Skarsnik posted:

Shouldnt he have been in a booster seat?

I think he's over 12.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Passengers under 14"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

Naah, Neanderthals are endlessly fascinating!
I love that there was this bizarre era tens of thousands of years ago where Homo Sapiens, Neanderthalis, Erectus (snigger), Denosivian, Floresiensis and probably a whole bunch of other human species all shared the world together. Must have been like Dungeons and Dragons, with humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes and hobbits all chilling out in taverns together, probably.

funny how the most savage of the lot made it out though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's fair enough an easy mistake for him to make. You only have to put your seatbelt on in a private jet when the captain turns the light on. He just forgot he was still in his limousine is all.

Especially easy when you can only see sky out of the windows no matter which you're in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

funny how the most savage of the lot made it out though
I thought the current assumptions are more that the most socially inclined made it out, and the asocial withered as we domesticated ourselves. Not so much the liberal individualist idea of the survival of the most ruthless, nor the Abrahamic idea that we were in a state of nature and then decided to poo poo it up on purpose.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

"Like most victims, Julie knew her killer."
glad i'm not the only person in the world who remembers that one!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Police investigating rape claims in England believe victim-blaming myths, study finds
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/20/police-investigating-claims-in-england-believe-victim-blaming-myths-study-finds

quote:

The damning year one report from Soteria Bluestone exposed persistent failings in the criminal justice system, including a failure to track repeat suspects, “explicit victim-blaming” and botched investigations. It found that among the victims potentially seen as not credible were “those who made repeat/multiple allegations, sex workers, those with mental health or substance abuse issues, intoxicated victims, victims who give ‘inconsistent’ or ‘incomplete’ accounts, and victims who may have lied in the past (in almost any area of their life)”.
:shepface:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wild to think that the police wouldn't believe a member of the public who's lied about literally anything, ever, and yet still feel happy working with other police officers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

smellmycheese posted:

what is a conditional offer of fixed penalty

is it just "if you don't pay up promptly and voluntarily-ish number goes up"?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

what is a conditional offer of fixed penalty

is it just "if you don't pay up promptly and voluntarily-ish number goes up"?

yeah and you get in more trouble. Its the same old blackmail they try on everyone and actually if sunak challenged it he'd win. But politically probably a bad idea.i guess?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume so, if you get caught speeding they might make conditional offers of going to a training course rather than taking points on your license, or you can try and contest it in court lol.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I assume so, if you get caught speeding they might make conditional offers of going to a training course rather than taking points on your license, or you can try and contest it in court lol.

My dad had to do one of those courses in his 70s, and my mum used to mock him as being a 'boy racer'. Then she got caught and had to do one too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Do you think we should set up a gofundme to help him pay the £100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

Do you think we should set up a gofundme to help him pay the £100?

I'm just going to stand outside and clap for a bit instead