Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Repair Catalogue Barter Bank: 14 wrecks total, 13 salvage to spend

Lights
BLD-xl blade, 35 PV for 17.5 barter for 2 salvage. 8.75 barter per salvage. (easy to maintain, protected actuators, exposed weapon linkage, static ammo feed) (the highest PV blade)

Mediums
WTC-4m Watchman - 26 PV for 13 barter for 3 salvage. 4.3 barter per salvage. (easy to maintain, easy to pilot, rugged 1) (5jump, 2/2/0, 5a3s; the 4dm is 3/3/1)
CDR-2x cuirass, 26 PV for 13 barter for 3 salvage. 4.33 barter per salvage . (easy to maintain)
RWD-r1 Rawhide. 36 PV for 18 barter for 3 salvage. 6 barter per salvage. (no quirks, no variants) (5jump, 3/3/2 6a 3s. It has Reflective Armor tho)

Heavies
Mad cat III, 44 pv for 14.66 barter(22 w/o bad rep) for 3 salvage. 4.88 salvage/barter (bad reputation, difficult to maintain, improved communications)
ARC-9R archer, 37 PV for 18.5 barter for 4 salvage. 4.63 barter per salvage. (battlefists, command mech, stable, ubiquitous) (4mv, 2/3/2, 7a 4s, if2+c3s) (many useful variants)
Ext-7x Exterminator, 44 PV for 22 barter for 4 salvage. 5.5 barter per salvage.
PRF-1c Prefect, 43 PV for 21.5 barter for 4 salvage 5.375 barter per salvage. (extended torso twist) (5m 3/3/1 7a4s, angel ecm, c3emergency master) (highest pv varaint)
TDR-11s Thunderbolt. 37pv for 18.5 barter for 4 salvage. 4.625 barter per salvage. (Multi-trac, rugged 2, ubiquitous) (4m 4/3/1/ ov1 7a 5s, ams) Notable variant: Tdr-9NAIS
GHR-8k Grasshopper. 39 PV for 19.5 barter for 4 salvage. 4.875 barter per salvage. (rugged 1) (4j 3/3/3 OV-L 1 7a 6s) (many notable variants. Tsm, bloodhound, +1 with 5 short/medium damage and c3s)
Linebacker B. 43 pv for 21.5 barter for 4 salvage. 5.375 barter per salvage. (stable)

Assaults
MAL-xt Malice, 43 PV for 43 barter for 5 salvage. 8.6 barter per salvage. (good reputation) (possibly more)

PoptartsNinja posted:

A unit with Easy to Maintain repairs any critical hits when it repairs armor, while a unit with Ubiquitous repairs all of its damage at the same time without costing any salvage. A unit with the Difficult to Maintain negative quirk may only have its structure and critical damage repaired at the cost of salvage.
The Rugged quirk reduces a unit’s overall upkeep cost. A unit with 1 level of rugged like the Vindicator counts as 1/2 of an occupied Mechbay (rounding up), while a unit with 2 levels of rugged (like the Thunderbolt) count as an empty Mechbay for upkeep purposes.

As far as our current garage and selling things:
The razorback is 12 barter, 1 salvage refit to the -10t pushes it to 17.5. this gives it a tmm of 3, 4 with low profile, and a 3/3/2 damage profile but only one structure. Its better but also more sellable, so.. tossup.
I think the valkyrie is a candidate to go, if we're selling. Its basically its best incarnation already; only the QD3 is really a step up.
The firestarter has an interesting sidegrade and is ubiquitous, so i'm inclined to say keep it.

Thoughts:
overall, I think this is a good time to clean out the garage and reduce our upkeep costs as much as possible. We're gonna be adding on lots, and nows the time to trim fat while we can. Unfortunately, pilots are sort of our weak point, but thats fairly easy to fix. (at a guess, more mechs + a staff branch + aerospace in the near future is gonna be +2-3) We have 1 free mechbay in rugged units currently...which could be more if we prioritize the thunderbolt and suchlike.

Repairwise, I think the watchman is okay, but between -3 salvage and +2, i'm leaning towards cleaning house. The cuirass is like another vindicator without quirks or tsm.
The malice isn't great(While the other variants are good, its a ton of salvage to refit.), and we're both lacking assault pilots and have other options on (like that white raven or warhammer), so I'm leaning towards rebuilding and selling it for barter. Its worth a -ton-.
The grasshopper I sorta like. It seems pretty much a big medium, except tougher. I see it more of a super shadow hawk thats easier to hit. Rugged is a plus.
The prefect can probably go. If we need extra barter, the Rawhide is a candidate for rebuild and pitch.

As an alternative to C3i units, picking up Rugged units would also work. The warhammer, crusader, or stooping hawks

PTN:
Do the loggermech and video pavilon count as upkeep/maintainance requiring units?

Regarding Funnelwebb, spa's and vehicles: Does TSM and/or the Heavy Lifter SPA and/or a big mech let him juggle two chunks of salvage? How big of a cargo bay would a unit need to just drop a token off in the back, or is not possible?
The reason I ask is the piranha is really good for him; but so is the vindicator or the jade hawk on galata, but so is a transport and a jackalope so its kind of a tossup without more information.

Will the sea foxes linger around for a turn, or should we buy anything we must have now?

For anyone:
Are there any good flak tracks i'm missing that aren't the partisan aa tank/partisan aa vehicle?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the current market isn't building anything for sale for barter a losing deal? The Sea Foxes will just buy the design from our catalogue for 2 Salvage, so eg for the Blade building for sale gets us 17.5 barter for -2 salvage for the rebuild, whereas just selling the design and then selling that 2 salvage plus an extra of our own at the current 1s:6b rate gets us 18 barter for net -1 salvage. If it's not something we might want to keep (the Mad Cat, one or both Archers, the Linebacker, maybe one or two others), I feel like we're better served just dumping our catalogue directly for ~20 salvage/~120 barter and just going to town on purchases and builds.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

PTN:
Do the loggermech and video pavilon count as upkeep/maintainance requiring units?

They are taking up space and costing you money, yes.

TheParadigm posted:

Regarding Funnelwebb, spa's and vehicles: Does TSM
No.

quote:

or the Heavy Lifter SPA
Sort-of

quote:

or a big mech
No.

quote:

let him juggle two chunks of salvage?

We're adding complexity where it isn't needed. Updated the Salvager SPA: From now on a unit with the Salvager SPA still only gets 1 random salvage chance when they collect a unique piece of field salvage in a mission, but they also bring back an extra piece of generic salvage from the first site they visit. They essentially just collect more of what's there. To compensate for the loss of random salvage chance, it's now a 100% chance to bring back a second piece of salvage.

Heavy Lifter lets the unit collect from multiple salvage points, but Salvager only applies to the first site they visit. That means that a unit with Salvager and Heavy Lifter could visit 2 sites, gain 2 random salvage chances, and bring back 3 pieces of salvage as long as they survive to the end of the mission.

quote:

How big of a cargo bay would a unit need to just drop a token off in the back, or is not possible?

I'll cross that bridge if you decide to buy a dedicated salvage hauler and actually bring it on missions with you. I would absolutely reward that sort of thing by making it useful, there just aren't that many salvage haulers with an actual Alpha Strike point value (About the only one I can think of is the HMRV).

I will absolutely find some way to make weird one-off units useful to you if do you decide you really want to buy and field a mobile HQ, salvage vehicle, or salvage industrialmech like the Hyena or Vampyr, I'm just not going to commit to anything just yet.

Actually, that does open up the possibility of an off-map support lance. A place where you could field a dedicated artillery unit, salvage hauler, or maybe even some useful industrialmechs. They'd be at risk if the company lost a fight but as long as the OpForce didn't have serious air support they'd be pretty safe as long as they stayed within 8-ish mapsheets of the combat unit.

Edit: Design theory behind field salvage is that it makes light 'Mechs more attractive since they can get in and snag it out from under the OpForce's nose without too much risk. Light 'Mechs are often surprisingly safe in Alpha Strike due to their high base TMMs and quirks like narrow/low profile or nimble jumper that make them even harder to hit. Field Salvage is my Game Mastery-way of rewarding the players for continuing to bring light 'Mechs to fights rather than instantly "upgrading" to much easier to kill medium and heavy 'Mechs.

Double Edit: So, what do you think? Add a non-combat support lance?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 19, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

Double Edit: So, what do you think? Add a non-combat support lance?
I like it. Reminds me of the mobile field bases in MechWarrior 3.

Also off-field artillery adds more explosions!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Nobody can say no to big gently caress off artillery tubes

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Off-field support is excellent utility.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

hah, sorry to make you do work, ptn! Its funny, because that's how I -thought- salvager worked anyway, based on its initial use/description (the fluff text)

off map support is a fun idea! its another element i'll have to chew on, but so far? I think i like it. Step up and see what we can get into!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, that does open up the possibility of an off-map support lance. A place where you could field a dedicated artillery unit, salvage hauler, or maybe even some useful industrialmechs. They'd be at risk if the company lost a fight but as long as the OpForce didn't have serious air support they'd be pretty safe as long as they stayed within 8-ish mapsheets of the combat unit.

I'd actually like to explore this idea a bit! I don't know much about industrialmechs. What sort of ones should I be looking at? (not loggermechs, hopefully!) I know loadermechs are a thing, but what'd actually be useful in that role

I think the MUL was updated at some point, though, all the fun support vehicles I found seemed to have pv costs. Not a lot, but there.

How, uh,
how do you feel about 200 ton support vehicles aircraft? Can the dropship even -fit- one of those, or would it just take up two bays by itself?

fake edit: i foundthe joke answer tho!

Real talk, I'm glad you brought it up. The air defension options on galatea were living in my brain; and i thought it was worth a mention that the di schmitt is lowkey one of the best air defense options in that store. Its not about its statline; or the air defense targeting quirk. I remember thinking that the trailer hitch is like, actualy one of the most useful things it can have, especially on a large vehicle. The things I'd do if I were in charge~

I was pretty surprised that battletech had a few ones already made.

Anyway, the hmrv doesn't actually look that bad, but I'd like to know what other options are out there. Off the top of your head, any other units/ideas we should be looking at?

full disclosure, the 200 ton aircraft was the Zugvogel c, which is a repair/cargo unit. Alpha strike doesn't appear to give it VSTOL tags (which it may or may not have??) so i'm not sure how much use it is in the -field- anyway. Can it make landings not in an airport?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

Can it make landings not in an airport?

I mean, you can land anything anywhere once.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

ok, in the interest of continuing to advance the discussion

A PRELIMINARY BUDGET PROPOSAL, AKA, LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME

there is a lot of math here, please feel free to correct me on anything I get wrong

STARTING BUDGET: 34 Barter 13 Salvage

SELL
- Designs to Sea Foxes: WTC-4M Watchman, CDR-2X Cuirass, BLD-XL Blade, PRF-1C Prefect, MAL-XT Malice, GHR-8K Grasshopper, 1 x ARC-9R Archer, EXT-7X Exterminator, RWD-R1 Rawhide
- Profit: 18 Salvage

- Mechs: VLK-QDD Valkyrie (12 Barter), RZK-9S Razorback (12 Barter), 2 x LCT-7V Locust (25 Barter)
- Profit: 49 Barter

- Exchange: 22 Salvage for 132 Barter

NET BUDGET: 215 Barter, 9 Salvage

BUY
- Tiburon 2 for 27 barter
- Vapor Eagle for 21 barter
- Elemental III Battle Armor (AP Gauss) for 10 barter
- Warhammer IIC 13 for 26 barter
- Hydraspes 3 for 34 barter
- ARC-7C Archer for 25 barter

- Total cost 143 barter, 72 barter remain

REPAIR/REFIT
- Repair BL-18-KNT Black Knight for 1 salvage
- Rebuild Mad Cat III for 3 salvage
- Unlock Ice Ferret J for 1 salvage (based on poll status at time I last checked)
- Refit ARC-7C Archer to ARC-9W Archer for 3 salvage

- Total cost 8 salvage, 1 salvage remains

SEA FOX SPECIAL ORDER
- LRM Carrier (WoB) for [PV 35 / 2 / 1.5 * 1.5] = 17.5 barter for a pair
- Ostscout OTT-9CS for [PV 32 / 2 * 1.5] = 24 barter
- Vampyr SC-V-1 for [PV 15 / 2 * 1.5] = 11 barter
- Savior Repair Vehicle for [PV 5 / 2 * 1.5] = 4 barter for a pair

- Total cost 56 barter, 16 barter remains

So, this leaves us with 16 barter and 1 salvage - what's left of the catalogue remains, and we should be good on upkeep as long as the DropShip returns next turn (we've got a double rest unless we deploy at reduced strength, so we might have to take Logistics Support if the dice turn against us).

General thoughts: Archer 9W is because I do want to build at least one experimental while the Sea Foxes are here, and on review the Mad Cat III X is actually somehow a downgrade because it gains the Prototype quirk and thus despite the Crit Resistant trait it's actually more likely to be crit. The 9W's fun for the Mimetic Armor essentially giving it a +3 TMM no matter how much it moves, so it's a decent guard option for the LRM carriers. The Vampyr and Savior are for if we are setting up a support group, in which case a scavenging mech and a mobile HQ are probably the most useful we could get (other identified good options include the Kestrel VTOL (MedEvac) for MASH capacity, the HMRV "Oppie" O-66 or Wayland Mobile Base if we do want to go all out on running salvage/cargo operations, and the Shugosha PTN-LAW because pandering is always the correct option). If not, that barter can be spent elsewhere. Like on useless but funny options like the Cloud Ten Carrier Airship, which does everything we could possibly want and also I'm pretty sure we literally couldn't fit it on the dropship. Also this is just the budgeting, I have no idea about appropriate XP spends, beyond training the vehicle drivers on size 3 for the LRM Carriers (which should be cheapest skill reduction since the Fire Support Lance should give them Oblique Attacker for free?)

The goal once the special orders comes in would be something like:

Command Lance
- Warhammer IIC, Black Knight, Vapor Eagle, Tiburon 2

Recon Lance
- Ice Ferret J (w/ battle armor mounted), Excalibur, Ostscout, Preta Caelestis

Fire Support Lance
- Mad Cat III, Archer, LRM Carrier (WoB), LRM Carrier (WoB)

There are other special order options, but primarily it's a question of what the target for that 4th slot for the planned Fire Support Lance is. My main preferred options are unfortunately Clan/Mixed mechs (another Mad Cat III or the Vulture Mk III BLO), so we probably can't special order them, but the Bombadier BMB-14C is also an option if we want to go 3 forward/3 fire support on the C3I network. Mostly it's not in the current budget because of the aforementioned desire to refit an experimental, but I can definitely see it going in other proposals.

PTN, if you're able I would appreciate confirmation on if Clan/Mixed mechs would not be available from the special order, since as much as I think I understand that's what's meant by "commonly available" it's possibly a lore question so I can't really be sure Sarna/MUL reflects what's currently canon.

(also please tell me we can't spend the refit cost to have the Sea Foxes change catalogue designs to experimental versions if we can't also afford to build them, I do not need to be spending more time on this)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm kinda glad you beat me to it; I wanted to ask what your opinion on pitching the mad cat to the sea foxes was - its your ride, and I said I'd make up for my mistake - but I think we were both leaning towards the linebacker being a solid step up.

I'm mostly going by the Difficult to Maintain making it eat salvage if it takes non-armor damage.

There's also one more thing you should really consider before going all- in on heavies, which is our pilots. Lemme make the thing rq

PTN questions: if I made a deployment plan with partial units, can we fill in the blanks with fresh hires on the same turn, or are we '12 units or bust, no deployment' in general?

Edit: typo, clarifications

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 21, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Company Pilots (sometimes its easier to put everything in one place instead of cards)

* denotes injured or tired

Lights
Skill 4 Impact, Frontline, Sahara, Indiana, Funnelweb*, High voltage, Taboo*, Drake
Skill 3 Fisher, Bugbear*, Chili, Shotel*

(I'm not gonna count frost or popcorn or ironsides in lights cuz they have way better things to do)

Medium
Skill 4 Weasel, Cherrybomb*, High voltage, Taboo*
Skill 3 Hardpoint*

(also not counting Awoo under mediums because they will almost always take the personal ride)

Heavy
Skill 4 Frost
Skill 3 Awoo*, Ironsides*

Assault
Skill 4
Skill 3 Popcorn*

Our best mechs are mediums. Our worst pilots are also mediums. We have a drastic shortage of other pilots. Its kiind of an issue and one to keep in mind while buying things.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

I'm kinda glad you beat me to it; I wanted to ask what your opinion on pitching the mad cat to the sea foxes was - its your ride, and I said I'd make up for my mistake - but I think we were both leaning towards the linebacker being a solid step up.

It's definitely a solid unit, and there were a lot of budgets where it was getting rebuilt, but the problem is that it's also a step up in size, and as you've noted we're limited on heavy pilots. So when I reached the point of trying to set up the goal lance for the special orders, it starting looking like it would have had to replace one of the other heavies/assault, and it felt like too much of a sidegrade to the black knight IMO to be prioritized (excalibur's being used for C3I muscle and warhammer's a better unit, so those seemed like they needed to stay, and like I said the Archer's my own personal desire to try and build an experimental mech when we had the opportunity to do so). It's still in the catalogue if the cost-benefit goes differently at another downtime, and I can see it going in a different budget, it just didn't work out this time.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thats fair! Also a good summary

What I was really asking was if you'd be OK binning the mad cat to the sea foxes for salvage? (if it comes down to it and there's stuff worth picking up)

Basically I wanted to know if you're attached to it and I should keep it in the repair catalogue for my action plan or not.

(ex, Bugbear is skill 1 and 1 xp short of heavies, and I'd rather have him in a linebacker with 3 jackalopes as a battle or pursuit lance.)

We're kind of at the junction where I can do a lot with 12 barter; but I'd rather not be callous if someone has a fave unit

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

honestly at this point I actually am a little attached to the poor thing just out of how often you've expressed concern for it. makes me feel like I should do the same, you know?

but to give a straight answer, if you're honestly asking then I would prefer to keep it available, partly out of developed affection but mostly because I feel like we ought to be hanging on to every strong medium we can with our pilot list. That said, if you've got a vision and that's what you need to make the budget work, go for it. I feel like that's a good chunk of the point of having multiple proposals, you know? if the thread votes to lose the mad cat here, so be it, I'll just find some other mech to obsess over obtaining to replace my poor lost one true love.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

haha, yeah. part of the fun of a mercenary company is making do with what you got , the other part is like finding mascots or fun with recurrung units. (like how drake ALWAYS ends up in the hospital.
I was gonna give the thread (a little grief) for being so afraid of a mandatory double downtime earlier that we had an avoidable one now, but then I realized I was part of the problem for actually -losing- the thing (and I hadn't realized the character stamina wasn't updated, so it was an impression based on outdated information)

I don't think its a good long-term investment because of the salvage drain to repair it, but I think it'll be fun to see what ballsy stuff another goon gets up to with it.
I'll try to keep it in inventory but I haven't crunched numbers exactly on what i want to do yet, so I figured I'd ask beforehand.

Tldr, I wish we had enough barter for stooping hawks (rugged 2, nice catchall omni-mediums) and wusuns(fast omnifighters(*possibly not orderable) with a great interceptor screeening profile )

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 22, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just as an aside, you're not getting anything built by the Society, those didn't make it out of the Homeworlds. So Z-configs aren't going to be on the table.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to address anything else. I'm in the middle of the file transfer process so I can switch to my new PC.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 22, 2023

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Pretty much anything related to the Society has long since been burned to ash, buried in a deep hole, and then poured over with concrete.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sorry I haven't had a chance to address anything else. I'm in the middle of the file transfer process so I can switch to my new PC.

When you get round to it, I was wanting to ask if the Koi Heavy Transport(cargo version) is somethign we could buy.

The nishigoi as a combat transport has a pv on the mul, but its the giant-rear end cargo bay I'm interested in.

Basically, I was working on an air mobile salvage lance just to make things a little less risky (the hmrv is sloooow). The problem being there aren't really any true VTOL heavy transports: Apparently, even the king karnov is vstol and needs a short runway to get airborn; not actual 'set it down in any clearing close to where we wanna go'.

Second question: I'm guessing that superheavy vehicles like the hmrv are one-per-buys, not 2 like other combat vehicles?

The hmrv itself is really tempting. There's a few parts to a salvage operation: getting there, doing the work, but also the last part i'm focused on: what you can bring back. The 100 ton cargo in the tractor bed might actually be the best thing about it.

lastly, am I reading too much into things?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 27, 2023

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Highest cargo on a pure VTOL I can find in MUL is 14 tons on the Cobra Transport VTOL (Original) (as opposed to the Cobra VTOL Transport or the Cobra Transport VTOL (shakes fist at naming conventions)). Sarna seems to imply the Garrot Superheavy should beat it out ("able to carry over half its weight in cargo" would mean >15 tons), but the MUL listing doesn't have a cargo rating at all.

Beyond that yeah all the transports seems to be VSTOL at best - I do see the Planetlifter as an alternate to King Karnov being slightly smaller/faster and cited as specifically not needing a runway (MUL only has it at 20 tons cargo space, but similarly Sarna seems to feel there's an additional 50 ton bay that isn't being counted?).

The main downside I'm seeing with an air salvage lance is that cargo space's about all it can do - anything with extra functionality that's common in vehicles (field base, engineering tools, etc) isn't going to be VTOL/VSTOL which would likely limit our ability to use it in the field (and possibly mean we need to bring support vehicles/industrial mechs *anyway* depending on if/how PTN decides to run them).

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, there's some rule wierdness for sure. You probably want to be looking at support vehicles, not combat vehicles.(the mul tag for cargo is CT) I think the planetlifter is made with external cargo carries in mind, which is something alpha strike isn't as detailed as the main ruleset on. (its a 50 ton aircraft itself)

What you've just said is half the reason the Tonbo is so good tho: if you actually want to drop off a medium salvage lance of industial/salvage/loader mechs -not- under combat conditions... it can do that.
It just doesn't have a ton of cargo.(its all external/lift hoists). So you need more for your haul, or a dedicated haul[i]er[/]i.

Thats why I'm into the Koi. Its a heavy lift WIGE, so the runway issues aren't really issues. King karnovs are still useful, I think(in the 'we have air transport when the dropship is away and/or we're fighting on a planet with light infrastucture), but they're not very'take them out into the wilderness' tier.

For example, with the 80 tons of cargo on the *armed* version, thats still enough to medium repair vehicle and a light salvagemech of some kind, have them walk right off the ramp get to work, and ship them back on the tonbos.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Amusingly, Dominions Divided gave us a new SPA that would be fun to use with the Kontio.

Judo
Unit Type: Battlemech, Protomech, Battlearmor
SPA Cost: 3
If this unit makes a successful physical attack against a target that is not using standstill movement, the target makes a 2D6 roll with a Target Number equal to the unit’s Skill Rating plus one. Add the Attacker’s size and subtract the target’s Size from the Target Number. If the roll fails, the target takes 1 damage, and its Move is reduced by 2” and its TMM reduced by 1 during the following turn.

Since the way the LP is set up always has the Opforce move first, this could be a fun way to put an opposing 'Mech flat on its rear end every time the Kontio runs up and whacks something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, I haven't seen any action plans submitted.

Is there something I can do to help make the process easier?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't speak to anyone else, but personally I had been under the impression there were questions that needed to be resolved prior to submitting plans (acceptable targets for the special ordering, if we can avoid double downtime here by hiring the same turn, if we are proceeding with that support lance idea, etc.), and had read:

PoptartsNinja posted:

as an indication you wanted more time to answer them as well as in general. Apologies if I'm mistaken, I can attach some downtime actions/deployment plans to that budget idea I posted earlier so there's something to vote on, I just legitimately thought we weren't at that point.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

ok, since action plan was requested:

ACTION PLAN MATH IS FUN-DAMENTAL

STARTING BUDGET: 34 Barter 13 Salvage

SELL
- Designs to Sea Foxes: WTC-4M Watchman, CDR-2X Cuirass, BLD-XL Blade, PRF-1C Prefect, MAL-XT Malice, GHR-8K Grasshopper, 1 x ARC-9R Archer, EXT-7X Exterminator, RWD-R1 Rawhide
- Profit: 18 Salvage

- Mechs: VLK-QDD Valkyrie (12 Barter), RZK-9S Razorback (12 Barter), 2 x LCT-7V Locust (25 Barter)
- Profit: 49 Barter

- Exchange: 22 Salvage for 132 Barter

NET BUDGET: 215 Barter, 9 Salvage

BUY
- Tiburon 2 for 27 barter
- Vapor Eagle for 21 barter
- Elemental III Battle Armor (AP Gauss) for 10 barter
- Warhammer IIC 13 for 26 barter
- Hydraspes 3 for 34 barter
- ARC-7C Archer for 25 barter

REPAIR/REFIT
- Repair BL-18-KNT Black Knight for 1 salvage
- Rebuild Mad Cat III for 3 salvage
- Unlock Ice Ferret J for 1 salvage (based on poll status at time I last checked)
- Refit ARC-7C Archer to ARC-9W Archer for 3 salvage

SEA FOX SPECIAL ORDER
- LRM Carrier (WoB) for [PV 35 / 2 / 1.5 * 1.5] = 17.5 barter for a pair
- Ostscout OTT-9CS for [PV 32 / 2 * 1.5] = 24 barter
- Vampyr SC-V-1 for [PV 15 / 2 * 1.5] = 11 barter
- Savior Repair Vehicle for [PV 5 / 2 * 1.5] = 4 barter for a pair

END SURPLUS: 16 Barter, 1 Salvage

MAJOR ACTION: Recruit

Insufficient units to deploy, mandatory(?) double downtime

SECOND MAJOR ACTION (if we get one): Combat Drills if we can afford it, Logistics Support if not

Units and Warriors reserved for Combat
Lance 1 Command Lance (based on Black Knight's ability)
- Unit 1: BL-18-KNT Black Knight
- Warrior: Ironsides
- Unit 2: Warhammer IIC 13
- Warrior: Popcorn
- Unit 3: Vapor Eagle
- Warrior: Hardpoint
- Unit 4: C-PRT-OS Preta Caelestis
- Warrior: Taboo

Lance 2 Support Lance (Command)
- Unit 1: Ice Ferret J
- Warrior: Awoo
- - Mounted: Elemental III (AP Gauss)
- - Warrior: Rat Party
- Unit 2: Tiburon 2
- Warrior: Shotel
- Unit 3: JLP-BD Jackalope
- Warrior: Impact
- Unit 4: JLP-BD Jackalope
- Warrior: Funnelweb

Lance 3 Fire Support Lance
- Unit 1: Mad Cat III
- Warrior: Fisher
- Unit 2: ARC-9W Archer
- Warrior: Frost
- Unit 3: TBT-7M Trebuchet
- Warrior: Cherry Bomb
- Unit 4: Hydaspes 3
- Warrior: Afterburner

Warriors Training
- Bugbear, Drake, High Voltage, Chilli, Indiana, Weasel, Sahara, Frontline, Flycatcher, Lionness
- Frost, High Voltage, Chilli, and Indiana potentially also train during the first downtime due to already being fully rested?

Unassigned Warriors
- None

Experience Expenditures
- Fisher: Spend 2 XP for size 2 training
- Afterburner: Spend 2 XP for Ground Hugger SPA

entirely possible this might not be a valid plan (particularly if we do end up not needing the double-downtime from recruitment and have a completely different list of available pilots), I'll try to update it if so

general XP thoughts: we can save the vehicle XP for when the special order comes in and they actually have something to pilot. Bugbear IMO should spend the XP from training to get size 3 training for piloting the Archer - mimetic armor means it doesn't care about standing still so Cluster Hitter can trigger at will. Awoo I say hold off on the 3rd SPA until we see what mech we have/how it handles - not sure the Ice Ferret would need Stand Aside to get into people's rear arcs. Chilli or Hardpoint are probably are next target for larger mech training if we don't pick up any in this run, to let us rotate our heavies more easily. Ground Hugger seems like the best available spend for Afterburner given they're already skill 3 and trained in the unit size we have, can spend the next XP they get on Shaky Stick and make them a focused ground-pounder.

Rat Party I'm not sure on what to buy beyond saving for skill 3 - Forward Observer I think might be relevant vis a vis the "spot IF with infantry, get range from C3I" plan, but that's not quite in place yet (and the SPA probably wouldn't carry over to the spawned guerillas who'd probably be doing the actual spotting).

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not really! its just a complex turn. I thought you'd check in and like, field questions when your computer situation was situated!

I've been slowly working on one in the background, just was slightly backburnered since I figured you were still straightening everything out.

(I've also been wrapping my brain around the state of ground to air combat, so there's that too.)

I guess pertinent questions:
Can we special order staff as well as machines? I'd like another astech and/or a cargo master and I have barter to spend putting a craigslist ad on the dropship pony express! Is there a cost, or is it beyond the scope of the special order.

what happens if we buy large or very large vehicles? Does the dropship actually fit them?(ie, how many hangar slots is the 1000 ton airship; ditto for the oppie(150) and tractor(100)) As vehicles, do they still come in two packs?

if special orders generate a half barter, do I round up, down, or just combine it with other stuff to get whole numbers since its a bulk order?

If I get an ultralight(10 ton) power loader, can I throw it in a sufficiently large Infantry Transport bay? (this is not for combat purposes, just logistical ease)
Do trailers occupy their parent vehicle's bay slot? (ie, an air defense gun trailer http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/6532/gun-trailer-lrm)

since I'm also leaning towards hiring, would doing a two part turn update make things easier? I'm thinking that the buying and selling part might be simplified if we see what the pilots and staff members are before comitting.

Loosely, my action plan is going to be:
Combat Drills, everyone that's tired rests, everyone else trains, all new hires train.
repair a jackalope and order another (going to 4 solves a lot of issues )
pick up some battle armor and an r10
off map support/salvage lance
Artillery vehicles (the schiltron is leading)

I'll try to get it fixed up today/tomorrow, but work might get in the way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Not really! its just a complex turn. I thought you'd check in and like, field questions when your computer situation was situated!

That's my fault, my computer has been replaced and I'm good to go. I'll try to figure out which questions I've missed as soon as I can.

Short answer for what you can special order is:
- No Society tech
- No prototypes, and the Sea Foxes are reluctant to sell anything with the poor workmanship flaw
- Nothing with the obsolete tag in 3150

So you're probably not going to get your hands on a Lich but everything else is fair game.

I'm going to try to condense my thoughts on the support lance into something more coherent, and I'll add a support units tab to the shop for anything the Sea Foxes might have on hand. My current thought is: Superheavies are going to be allowed but they'll eat one bay per hundred tons.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Sea Foxes have standards damnit. What do they look like, Quiksell?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rorahusky posted:

Sea Foxes have standards damnit. What do they look like, Quiksell?

Its QuiksCell, get it right sir

But also they probably reverse the sea foxes, nothing without the poor quality, anything that is obsolete 3150... and they somehow yes indeed have society tech

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AtomikKrab posted:

Its QuiksCell, get it right sir

Is that supposed to be like Attorneys General, or Spiders Men?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How it's spelled depends on what leg of their legal scam they're currently running.

I'm going to stress this is not me joking, this is the actual explanation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's an entire corporation of Sovereign Citizens of the Lyran Commonwealth?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I'll admit that even with the unanswered questions, I'm suffering from a choice paralysis, so it's hard for me to engage. Putting together a plan based on just what was available on Galatea was a lot, but with the option of having everything opened up I'm a little lost, so I'm sitting this one out. I wouldn't want to take the fun from the people who are enjoying looking through the whole catalogue, but that's where I'm at.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Defiance Industries posted:

How it's spelled depends on what leg of their legal scam they're currently running.

I'm going to stress this is not me joking, this is the actual explanation.

DI is in someways jealous of what Quicksell has accomplished

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AtomikKrab posted:

DI is in someways jealous of what Quicksell has accomplished

DI: "We got wealthy through hard work and effort, making the greatest war machines the Inner Sphere has ever seen."

QuikCell: "Seriously? You frickin' rubes, we got wealthy by just lying to people. Way easier."

DI: "Yeah, well... at least we can keep our self-respect!"

QuiksCell: "Did that make you feel better when you were spending your nights at college alone studying while we were out partying?"

DI: "...maybe! Shut up!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
While you were making shoddy garbage and doing cocaine off of hot models, we were studying the blade hatchet

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, finalizing an action plan, but its tight ish.

When it comes to barter and fractions, round up, round down, or total it all together and figure it out at the end?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 8, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Downtime 4 - 2
Non-Combat Support Lance
The support lance is an off-map unit that gives bonuses during or after combat. The company will be allowed to bring up to four ground units and a pair of Aerospace Fighters in a back-up lance that follows along behind the combat unit but shouldn't (unless something goes very wrong) appear on the map.

The Non-Combat Support Lance doesn't need to be assigned warriors or crew unless you field a combat unit like an Aerospace Fighter or a scout 'Mech.

Unlike a combat unit, the ground speed, movement type, armor, and other combat stats of the support lance's ground units have no impact on the support lance's performance. Instead, the support lance's performance is determined by its tags. These are semi-arbitrary and I reserve the right to add more as we progress. Many tags will stack, so having more of the same tag will often provide additional benefit.

Non-Combat Support Tag List
Unique / Non-Stacking Tags
MHQ - Mobile HQ is a unique tag that allows the support lance to assist the combat unit in processing combat data. The MHQ tag is required to employ off-map artillery or to call in an Aerospace Fighter bombing or strafing run. Having multiple MHQ tags has no effect.
FRB - Field Repair Base is a unique tag that allows the player unit to repair and rearm without the need to return to a base or the DropShip. Having multiple repair tags has no effect. Warriors cannot rest or be reassigned at a Field Repair base and must be deployed with their current fatigue.
MFB - Mobile Field Base is the superior version of both MHQ and Field Repair, folding both of these tags into a single tag. Unlike the Field Repair tag, warriors may rest and be reassigned to different units at an MFB.
Trailer - Unit must be towed and does not count towards the Support Lance's unit cap
Superheavy - Units with the Superheavy tag take up multiple DropShip bays
Booby Trap - A unit with this support tag will be automatically sacrificed on a mission failure to guarantee the rest of the support lance will survive unscathed
Indestructable - This support unit is never at risk

Stacking Tags
Art - The Artillery tag allows each player-controlled lance to call in a number of artillery strikes per mission equal to the number of artillery tags present.
MASH - The Mobile Army Support Hospital tag reduces the risk of pilot injury by 1 per MASH tag, to a minimum of 4+
Scavenge - The scavenge tag enables the support lance to automatically collect one piece of field salvage per scavenge tag after the mission ends. This automatic collection does not benefit from any SPAs. If all the salvage is gathered, scavenger units will instead boost local favorability as they assist with post-combat search and rescue operations.
Cargo - The Cargo tag allows players to 'dump off' salvage in a 3-hex band near their deployment zone for later pickup. This frees up that unit's hands to collect more salvage. For each cargo tag in the support lance, this zone is extended another 3 hexes. This does have an upper limit of about half-way across the map. Support units with at least one Cargo tag may be stored in DropShip bays normally reserved for cargo.
Construction - Units with the construction tag can build or repair infrastructure such as roads, bridges, sensor towers, or defensive walls. This enables the player unit to catch catch the OpForce faster or to prepare a stronger line of defense. Functionally, this is an arbitrary tag whose benefits are determined by the GM, but I'll try to skew combat maps in the players' favor if you have construction tags in your support lance. Additionally, construction units will slightly boost local favorability as they assist with post-combat search and rescue operations. Construction vehicles are required to field a Large Support Aircraft such as the King Karnov.
Scout - Scout is a tag that primarily protects the support lance from being destroyed in the event of a mission failure. The presence of additional scout units assist the combat lance in the same way construction lances do: I will try to skew combat maps in the players' favor if you have scouts in your support lance.
Security - The security tag deters enemy infantry from attempting to capture the Support Lance, as well as improving its chances of survival if the players fail a mission.

Aerospace Support
AeroSpace Support functions a little differently from the rest of the non-combat support lance. Rather than following the full AeroSpace rules, their function (like artillery) is being somewhat abstracted to cut down on the things players will have to track. Their tags, if applicable, do count towards the support unit's total tags.

When called in by a player request, the two-craft AeroSpace Lance can either make a level bombing run, a dive bombing attack, a strafing run, or a strike attack against the OpForce. They may also be tasked to intercept and drive off enemy AeroSpace Fighters, or to strike enemy off-map artillery. Because the OpForce has very little recourse against these attacks, the AeroSpace Lance will enter a cooldown period after their strike during which they can't be called back into the battlefield. This cooldown period is primarily dictated by their thrust, with higher-thrust units being able to return to the fight more quickly, but can also be artificially lenghtened by enemy units with anti-aircraft tags. The number of strikes the AeroSpace Lance can make is dictated by their fuel capacity and will be fairly arbitrary.

Now, because of this change, I need to provide some actual support units for you to look over. As such: this turn the Action Plan is being split into a purchase plan, and a mission plan. So currently I'd like you to focus on what (if anything) you want to buy or special order. We'll save the rest of the action plan for afterwards, once you know what you want to pick up.

Local Conditions
Dustball

Controlling Polity: Malthus Confederation Clan Sea Fox Tiburon Khanate
Local Authority Opinion: Indifferent
Conversion Rate: 1s:2b 1s:6b
Contract Quality: Poor Sea Fox Contracts
Warrior Availability: Good
Shop Availability:
Available BattleMechs:

- Piranha 5 (Size 1 Striker) [17b]
- Vixen 9 (Size 1 Striker) [17b]
- Tiburon 2 (Size 1 Striker) [27b]
- Hammerhead (Size 2 Skirmisher) [19b]
- Wendigo Prime (Size 2 Skirmisher) [20b]
- Vapor Eagle (Size 2 Skirmisher) [21b]
- Thresher Mk II (Size 3 Skirmisher) [25b]
- Ha Otoko (Size 3 Missile Boat) [20b]
- ARC-7C Archer (Size 3 Missile Boat) [25b]
- Nova Cat T (Size 3 Sniper) [24b]
- White Raven (Size 3 Skirmisher) [28b]
- Warhammer IIC 13 (Size 4 Brawler) [26b]
- Regent Prime (Size 4 Juggernaut) [26b]
- KGC-011 King Crab (Size 4 Juggernaut) [23b]
- ARS-V1 Ares Zeus (Size 4 Juggernaut) [69b]
Available Vehicles:
- Gossamer VTOL (Size 1 Striker) [16b]
- Anhur Transport (BA) (Size 1 Scout) [10b]
- Aeron Strike VTOL (BAP) (Size 1 Scout) [14b]
- Cizin Hover Tank (Size 2 Striker, Bad Reputation (Nova Cat Losers)) [12b]
- R10 Mechanized ICV Prime (Size 2 Brawler) [13b]
- Cardinal Transport (Size 2 Striker) [14b]
- Sekhmet Assault Vehicle (Size 3 Brawler, Bad Reputation (Nova Cat Losers)) [11b]
- Mars Assault Vehicle (HAG) (Size 4 Missile Boat) [34b]
Available BattleArmor:
- Sylph BattleArmor (Sqd4) [6b]
- Dragoon Battle Armor (Sqd4) [6b]
- Dragoon Battle Armor (Advanced) (Sqd4) [6b]
- Sea Fox Amphibious Armor (Sqd4) [7b]
- Elemental III Battle Armor (AP Gauss) (Sqd4) [10b]
- Thunderbird Battle Armor (Upgrade) (ER Laser) (Sqd4) [9b]
- Thunderbird Battle Armor (Upgrade) (LB-X) (Sqd4) [9b]
- Tortoise II Battle Armor (Sqd4) (SRM) [15b]
Available AeroSpace Fighters:
- Batu E (Size 1 Fast Dogfighter) [15b]
- THK-63CS Tomahawk (Size 1 Fire-Support, Bad Reputation (Heat Hog)) [8b]
- Ammon (Size 2 Dogfighter) [22b]
- Hydaspes 3 (Size 3 Attack) [34b]
Available Support Vehicles
- Monocycle [5b] [Scout 1][Security 1]
- Burrow II Superheavy Cargo Truck [3b] [Cargo 1]
- J-37 Ordnance Transport [7b] [Cargo 2]
- SM2 Heavy Artillery Vehicle (Size 3 Missile Boat) [18b] [Artillery 1]
- Savior Repair Vehicle [3b] [MFB]
- Buffel Engineering Support Vehicle VIII [2b] [Construction 1]
- Buffaly BFFL Drone Bomb [13b] [Cargo 1][Booby Trap]
- Dromedary Water Transport [2b] [Cargo 5][Superheavy]
- Oppie O-66 HMRV Hazardous Materials Recovery Vehicle [6b] [MFB][MASH][Superheavy][Cargo 2][Construction 2]
- HMRV (Hazardous Materials Recovery Vehicle) Salvage Bed [5b] [Superheavy][Cargo 10][Construction 2]
- King karnov KC-9 [4b] [Cargo 8][Superheavy]
- Haruspex Military Surveillance Satellite [11b][Scout 3][Indestructable]
Available Support IndustrialMechs
- Exo HMX-2 HaulerMech [3b] [Cargo 1]
- Carbine CON-7 ConstructionMech [3b] [Construction 1]
- Crosscut ED-X4M-A LoggerMech MOD [3b] [Construction 1][Security 1]
- Dig Lord RCL-4 MiningMech [6b] [Construction 2]
- Hyena HYN-4A SalvageMech [5b] [Scavenger 1]
- Vampyr SC-V-1 SalvageMech [8b] [Scavenger 1][Construction 1]
- Kiso K-3N-KRHQ CommandMech [8b] [MHQ][Cargo 2][Construction 2][Scavenger1]
Other Services
- Salvage Trade-in Permanently remove a ‘Mech from your salvage catalogue to gain 2 salvage (this is a good way to clear out anything you just don’t see yourselves building).
- Order a Unit For a 50% mark-up, the Sea Foxes can deliver any unit available in the Inner Sphere within 2-4 mission turns.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 9, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Oppie O-66 HMRV Hazardous Materials Recovery Vehicle [6b] [MFB][MASH][Superheavy][Cargo 2][Construction 2]
- HMRV (Hazardous Materials Recovery Vehicle) Salvage Bed [5b][Superheavy][Cargo 10][Construction 2]
- Haruspex Military Surveillance Satellite [11b][Scout 3][Indestructable]
These options look promising.

Edit:
v-- Added in the fixed superheavy tags to my post too.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 9, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry, forgot the HMRV's Superheavy tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Random question here but if OpFor has artillery on a map and their main combat force is routed/scattering can said artillery be conceivably seized as well? If they only have trucks to pull them away and survivors of the enemy force are oriented towards withdrawing thier mobile units...

Or just in general in situations where teh enemy has support units of limited mobility present (that can't be assumed to keep up with combat vehicles at speed).