Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nolan saw the 2020 Beirut explosion and was like hmmm neat

Edit: I think this is fake? YouTube channel is very sus.

Edit2: yup it’s fake. I fell for it hook line and sinker

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Jewmanji posted:

Nolan saw the 2020 Beirut explosion and was like hmmm neat

Edit: I think this is fake? YouTube channel is very sus.

Edit2: yup it’s fake. I fell for it hook line and sinker

CineD snobs taking everything too seriously? No way...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

CineD snobs taking everything too seriously? No way...

How have you managed to get probed 4 times in 2023 lol. It’s January 19

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Jewmanji posted:

don't ever post in cspam if this somehow bothers you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jewmanji posted:

Somehow Grandpa Palpatine returned…

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gotta light?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is fake

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://screenrant.com/oppenheimer-fan-featurette-christopher-nolan-nuclear-bomb/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

they finally really did it, the maniacs. god drat them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

These directors were so preoccupied with whether they could...

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

wow, nothing gets past you, pal!

:jerkbag:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wait did people take that clip as saying they literally dropped an actual nuke in real life?

i assumed the title was just hypebole and watching it i was like oh neat a huge gasoline explosion

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
RIP Christopher Nolan

Vaporized by the power of the atom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wow, nothing gets past you, pal!

:jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait did people take that clip as saying they literally dropped an actual nuke in real life?

i assumed the title was just hypebole and watching it i was like oh neat a huge gasoline explosion

To be fair, its edited together pretty well. And if anybody was going to drop a real nuke for their movie, it'd be Christopher Nolan. Or Tom Cruise. Or Lars Von Trier.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Well von trier never got a planet to hit earth and cause an extinction event so I don't think he's that committed

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Carthag Tuek posted:

There are a lot of people out there, right now, who think Nolan created and dropped an actual nuke for the movie. Like, it's so out there in the public discourse, I'm only 99% sure he didn't at this point.

Like, I know he obviously didn't. Of course he didn't. But maybe....?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

There are a lot of people out there, right now, who think Nolan created and dropped an actual nuke for the movie. Like, it's so out there in the public discourse, I'm only 99% sure he didn't at this point.

Like, I know he obviously didn't. Of course he didn't. But maybe....?

Hahah I mean of course he didn't. But I think they definitely have talked about trying to film a huge explosion to try to capture what they could in camera. So I figured they are trying to just create something as large as they can that has the physical characteristics without being radioactive of course.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dropping the nuke was the other end of the tenet temporal pincer maneuver

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Hahah I mean of course he didn't. But I think they definitely have talked about trying to film a huge explosion to try to capture what they could in camera. So I figured they are trying to just create something as large as they can that has the physical characteristics without being radioactive of course.

Most explosives used in a film appears to be the (terribly filmed) Spectre’s big explosion thing when the base blows up and that used a total of… 140 kilograms. So about 0.15 tons of explosives. Trinity was 18kilotons.

You’d need…. Jesus you would need a gently caress load more than that. Best you could possibly get away is hoping the army is doing a bomb test and you get to film / use it but I think only someone like Michael Bay could get away with that ask.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Most explosives used in a film appears to be the (terribly filmed) Spectre’s big explosion thing when the base blows up and that used a total of… 140 kilograms. So about 0.15 tons of explosives. Trinity was 18kilotons.

You’d need…. Jesus you would need a gently caress load more than that. Best you could possibly get away is hoping the army is doing a bomb test and you get to film / use it but I think only someone like Michael Bay could get away with that ask.

Oh I mean it'd 100% have to be a military coordinated thing. That's a given. I'm not talking an SFX unit.

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
You might also, I dunno, violate some international treaty or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

karasu posted:

You might also, I dunno, violate some international treaty or something.

"Using actual nuclear weapons" was never a thing on the table.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

With Alex Baldwin being charged for shooting that woman, it does make me think how American it is that guns are allowed to be aimed and fired at people just for the sake of a movie and that the ultimate parody of that logic would be yeah sure, you can detonate a nuke for a biopic. Now you stand a good ways back from that, y'hear? This ain't no 4th of joo lie firecracker.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The thing about nuclear bombs is they already detonated like two thousand of them and none of them were used for anything as worthwhile as making a cool scene in a movie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m kind of surprised the Soviet film industry never detonated one for a movie to show up Hollywood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

I’m kind of surprised the Soviet film industry never detonated one for a movie to show up Hollywood.

if they did the US absolutely would've nuked them lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

checkplease posted:

No need, check out mosfilm on YouTube. The soviets really won that war.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

1stGear posted:

To be fair, its edited together pretty well. And if anybody was going to drop a real nuke for their movie, it'd be Christopher Nolan. Or Tom Cruise. Or Lars Von Trier.

maybe i missed something in the edit. its just a video about "hey we are making a big thing" and the title says nuke but the quotes are "wow what an experience". idk it just didnt work for me. i wish it had cause fake blowing up a nuke for a movie would have been kinda cool

but yeah cruise would absolute fire off a nuke if he could jump on it or something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

but they did. that is to say, both the americans and soviets fired off dozens of unannounced nukes during the cold war, the only reason they didnt put them in movies was state secrets.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

To be fair, it would be hella cool to have high definition footage of a nuclear explosion. If not for all those pesky ramifications.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol why would we have nuked them? They did a ton of open-air tests back in the day. Why would you say something so silly?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

lol why would we have nuked them? They did a ton of open-air tests back in the day. Why would you say something so silly?

:byewhore:

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

don't ever post in cspam if this somehow bothers you

careful kiddo, it takes a certain kind of mindset to post in cspam. not everyone has that killer (of themself) instinct

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

BrownPepper posted:

careful kiddo, it takes a certain kind of mindset to post in cspam. not everyone has that killer (of themself) instinct

:dehumanize:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
C-SPAM is chill when you're not an rear end in a top hat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Did the second trailer for Knock at the Cabin get posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv_QhoUy-xc

Man, I'm kinda excited now. Loved the book as I mentioned earlier and it feels really faithful.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

BonoMan posted:

Did the second trailer for Knock at the Cabin get posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv_QhoUy-xc

Man, I'm kinda excited now. Loved the book as I mentioned earlier and it feels really faithful.

I've read two of Tremblay's novels (Head Full of Ghosts and Disappearance at Devil Rock) and really enjoyed them. The premise of Cabin didn't really interest me, but I'm intrigued for the film after seeing the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

BrownPepper posted:

I've read two of Tremblay's novels (Head Full of Ghosts and Disappearance at Devil Rock) and really enjoyed them. The premise of Cabin didn't really interest me, but I'm intrigued for the film after seeing the trailer.

I think it's cool that Dave Bautista has said that he really wants to see how far he can push his dramatic acting chops. I think a hurtle he has in doing that is that he looks like Dave Bautista. There was that line in the first trailer about him being a just a normal guy. My thought was, "Have you seen yourself in the mirror? You don't look like a normal guy." His image worked to his benefit in Glass Onion, but I think if he really wants to do more dramitic stuff he'll probably have to dial back his body a bit.