Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm sad to see Arraez go, but this was a move the Twins desperately needed to make.

That said, the Minnesota pitching curse is real and congrats Lopez on your impending TJS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I don't think the Twins' offense is as strong as Falvine think it is. They believe they're dealing from a position of luxury, simply yet another hitter from a loaded lineup - as if this is still the Bomba Squad. In reality, this was really only a slightly above-average lineup last year, and they've yanked out one of its most important contributors in exchange for yet another solid #2-#3 type arm in a rotation full of them. Unless it was a cream-of-the-crop titanium super-ace they didn't need another starter.

I didn't like the move when I first heard it floated months ago and I haven't warmed to it in the time since. Lopez is a good player but he doesn't fill a need, and now the Twins have a need that they didn't previously. They've gotten worse with this deal.

I'm not sure the Marlins get better either. They gave up minor leaguers, too, so you can't call it a future-minded move. Weird trade.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 20, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Salas, via Fangraphs midseason last year:

quote:

Salas signed for big money ($2.8 million) in July of 2019 and became the highest-variance prospect in this system, though he has since been usurped by a few others as Salas’ hit tool has stabilized while others are more volatile. He has “the look” at a sculpted 6-foot-2, he has a middle infielder’s actions and hands, and he has precocious feel for contact despite being a young switch-hitter. Some of the left-handed swing length issues that plagued him during the very early portion of his pro career (mostly while playing winter ball in Venezuela during the earlier portion of the pandemic) have already been remedied, and Salas is now short to the ball from the left side of the plate, while his righty swing still lags behind. He is especially adept at flattening his bat path and turning on high fastballs, though Low-A fastballs aren’t all that hard. His game is much more about bat-to-ball skills than it is huge bat speed or rotational athleticism, and because Salas is already quite big and strong, he doesn’t have the same physical projection as the typical teenage hitter. He still has star-level upside, it’s just looking more likely that Salas will attain it via a plus or better hit tool than from growing into gigantic power. He continues to be a 50/50 long-term proposition at shortstop, making all the routine plays now while perhaps projecting off the position due to his size at peak. Either way, he continues to track like a potential above-average everyday player with an extremely favorable profile (switch-hitting infielder with feel for contact) that should hold water even if he does end up as a 2B/3B.
This is one where I have to question what Miami knows about Salas. Meanwhile, the Twins have to be up there for teams with the most injury variance between MVP caliber players in Buck and Correa, former top prospects in Kiriloff, Lewis, and Larnach, and a rotation featuring Lopez, Maeda, Mahle, and Gray and depth featuring Paddack, Winder, and Balazovic.

First time in a while I can recall a team where I'd call 100 wins and 100 losses reasonable outcomes - especially since Maeda, Mahle, Gray, Polanco, Kepler, Gallo, and more will all be available if the wheels come off early.

ETA

maruhkati posted:

I don't think the Twins' offense is as strong as Falvine think it is. They believe they're dealing from a position of luxury, simply yet another hitter from a loaded lineup - as if this is still the Bomba Squad. In reality, this was really only a slightly above-average lineup last year, and they've yanked out one of its most important contributors in exchange for yet another solid #2-#3 type arm in a rotation full of them. Unless it was a cream-of-the-crop titanium super-ace they didn't need another starter.

They're betting on Kiriloff and Lewis coming back well, Miranda'a continued development, and looking panickedly at trying to fill three rotation spots in 2024... which is where Pablo differs from the rest of the starters. Don't know that it's a wise call, but an injury prone guy who derives almost all his value from batting average and who lacks a defensive home isn't particularly irreplaceable.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 20, 2023

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Paracaidas posted:

They're betting on Kiriloff and Lewis coming back well, Miranda'a continued development, and looking panickedly at trying to fill three rotation spots in 2024... which is where Pablo differs from the rest of the starters.

Counting on injury variance from unproven youngsters in an "all in, the division is wide open" type year. Cool, cool.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

maruhkati posted:

Counting on injury variance from unproven youngsters in an "all in, the division is wide open" type year. Cool, cool.
The correct answer is having signed more meaningful players in free agency, but having failed that... I'd rather bet on Kiriloff or Lewis replacing Arraez's value with Gallo and Farmer as fallbacks than all of Maeda, Gray, Ober, and Mahle staying healthy with Woods Richardson, Winder, and Paddack as the plan Bs.

I love Ober. I still think Lopez is better, and are all likely better off if they plan on going with a 6 man rotation. Salas also helps with potential deadline additions, as we saw with Steer last year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arraez's no-power bat is less impactful since he's limited to 1B/DH (he had the third lowest OPS of the 21 qualified players with a .290 average or higher). I'm good with the trade and think it makes the team better.

He was fun though so I'll still miss him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gerblederp posted:

Lmao they’re gonna let everyone walk so Ted Rogers can collect another pittance for his pile.

The one time they're for letting people walk.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Only thing I didn't like about the trade is that it wasn't Kepler getting traded.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

The one time they're for letting people walk.

Lol yeah how did sticking their noses in local politics work out?

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/1616493255150927873

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

nice

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

How is anything in Illinois in the top half of elevation? The tallest point in IL is 1,235 feet above sea level, which is below the height of the Sears Tower.

The highest point in Illinois, Charles Mound.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1616558912920064000

Jazz Chisolm has never played OF in professional baseball so uhhhh ok.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m so confused

https://twitter.com/j_mcpherson1126/status/1616558005964754973?s=46&t=A1cSC7L9otIvgnCklQb9LA

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Isn't he pretty good at a premium position already

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm glad the Marlins are trying to be entertaining. Jazz in CF is appointment viewing. What's the biggest outfield in the bigs cause I'm def tuning in for that series

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Arraez is also pretty stretched at 2nd, so this'll be an impressive downgrade defensively.

That said, his bat plays much better there than it does at first.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Isn't he pretty good at a premium position already

That's the thing about jazz, you just gotta follow it where it goes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hand Knit posted:

That's the thing about jazz, you just gotta follow it where it goes.

it's all about the positions he doesn't play

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

more falafel please posted:

I want you to know I appreciate this joke

Obligatory "I could watch the positions he doesn't play at home"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

:golfclap:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

:golfclap:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God drat it

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat that’s good

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

To me it's pretty obvious that Hoyer's job for the Ricketts Family is simply to make sure not to spend too much of their money.

Ricketts deserves blame but Jed has also been pretty bad with what's been given to him. He just doesn't seem to have a grasp on the market or commit to what he wants to do. The fact they had wanted to move on for 2 years from Contreras and lost him for nothing to a division rival is incredibly bad.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Arraez is also pretty stretched at 2nd, so this'll be an impressive downgrade defensively.

That said, his bat plays much better there than it does at first.

He's like Mark Grace with less power and less speed (to this point) at first.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I also enjoy this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Ricketts deserves blame but Jed has also been pretty bad with what's been given to him. He just doesn't seem to have a grasp on the market or commit to what he wants to do. The fact they had wanted to move on for 2 years from Contreras and lost him for nothing to a division rival is incredibly bad.
I just can’t believe they let him walk for like $86 million

I thought for sure he would get well over $100 mil plus

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Thread title?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

No, Joe! Don’t do it!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That math seems off, but my interest is still piqued.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Brrrmph posted:

No, Joe! Don’t do it!

I misread this at first and thought it was another excerpt from the Joe Maddon book.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm shocked at how many people seem surprised that a team would put a premium on Arraez. It's Fantasty-brain at it's best to insist that you can hit an empty .300 IRL.

Even if Miami is among the worst possible teams to capitalize on an empty .300 hitter.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Goodnight, sweet prince
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1151331377654239235

(For context, Schoop got down 0-2 and hurt himself. This was Arraez's first MLB plate appearance)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Poque posted:

I misread this at first and thought it was another excerpt from the Joe Maddon book.

It is

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
lol