Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Presumably they have obvious visual differences, and those differences are explained during the mandatory gun safety lectures. Hollywood and stage plays have had a good long time to work out a reliable system.

there's really never been a comparable incident before where a high profile actor was involved in an on set shooting because of mishandled weapons, so, uncharted waters and everyone deserves a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Even if they had some standardized protocol, would it have made a difference when he brought scabs along after the union guys walked out?

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
The film is still gonna be released right?

If it does well will it start a trend of getting actors to kill staff members?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm going to pay full price at the theatre admission to see the moment alec cracks a sick one liner and shoots directly at the camera, as is his wont

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm going to pay full price at the theatre admission to see the moment alec cracks a sick one liner and shoots directly at the camera, as is his wont

they're gonna cgi it now obviously.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

and the greatest irony is that after the artists finish their fifth consecutive 100 hr week of lovingly rendering a baldwin-alike abomination, they'll try to unionize and the studio will send someone to shoot them all in the head too

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

If Alec shoots you in a movie you die in real life

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

noones ever acted so good they caught real charges for it befor

its revolutionary

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You look at 'em and there's definitely an obvious difference between a real bullet and a blank.

Differences between real bullets and dummies too.

There are several kinds of 'fake' bullets you might use for various situations. All with clear differences.

If anyone had checked the mistake would have been caught. Nobody bothered to take 10 seconds to check.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Is that what those 4D theatres are?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

You look at 'em and there's definitely an obvious difference between a real bullet and a blank.

Differences between real bullets and dummies too.

There are several kinds of 'fake' bullets you might use for various situations. All with clear differences.

If anyone had checked the mistake would have been caught. Nobody bothered to take 10 seconds to check.

I think for movies they sometimes use a blank cartridge with the bullet, so that it looks normal whenever they're on camera.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mobby_6kl posted:

I think for movies they sometimes use a blank cartridge with the bullet, so that it looks normal whenever they're on camera.

I think that's what the "dummy" is. It has a bullet tip, so a shot of a six shooter or whatever where the bullets are visible will look right. The dummy doesn't have any gunpowder at all though, because that would just be a bullet. Since dummies look like bullets from the front, they have a dimple in the back and/or crimped sides so it is still super obvious which ones are the dummies.

Dummy - tip but no gunpowder
Blank - gunpowder but no bullet
Practice - Just bullet shaped plastic to practice dry firing.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

The Bramble posted:

Life and Beth was a good show but this is a bad joke

I'm not sure she understands they just saved her from a bad joke, like yeah it also hurts the industry too but that's incidental to how lame that joke is

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
First you get your joke approval then you do the edits, otherwise you're wasting your time on good untold jokes

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
You don't kill your cinematographer in the audition, as they say

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I find it hard to believe alec baldwin was charged with involuntary manslaughter. he couldn't even make a child laugh when he's trying, what makes you think he could make a man laugh by accident

no I'm not going to check if some version of that joke has already been made itt

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

kalel posted:

no I'm not going to check if some version of that joke has already been made itt

Amy?!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why dont they just use fake prop guns and cg the fuckin bullets?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

:10bux:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

John Wick of Dogs posted:

because it looks like poo poo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Facebook Aunt posted:

No amount of training and practice will circumvent human idiocy.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
So what took so long, anyways? Cause the timing feels like the DA heard about the settlement and the plans for the film to be completed and thought "you've gotta be making GBS threads me!"

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

it's like that "what're you gonna do stab me" - stabbing victim thing only it's the perp going "stick 'em up lol i won't murder you" - murderer

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Buce posted:

what are the odds alex baldwin would be able to tell the difference between a blank and a live round even if he did check the weapon before poppin off?

Live rounds have bullets in the end of them, blanks do not.

There are also dummy rounds that look like live rounds except they have a ball bearing instead of gunpowder and should rattle when shaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5rkF0hgJUw

What happened to Brandon Lee is that a bullet from a dummy round got lodged in the barrel of the gun, and the armorer didn't check that the barrel was clear before loading blanks, and the blank launched the bullet into Brandon.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
So new episodes of Match Game when?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

mudskipp posted:

The film is still gonna be released right?

If it does well will it start a trend of getting actors to kill staff members?

With how slap-dash this whole thing sounds, I get the impression that this was only ever a direct-to-DVD/streaming release anyway. The kind of thing you’d find left over at the bottom of the $5 bin at Walmart after the Black Friday rush.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I know people who had hiring stipulations that they wouldn't work props on set with that specific armorer a year before this happened, she's pretty hosed

idk what that means for Baldwin, but exec producer and all

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
So even this small film has a budget in the millions. Big ones go to tens or hundreds of millions.

Why is it necessary to use real guns that are even physically capable of firing bullets? Surely they could afford to make props? If you go the real gun route, it seems like you should give firearms training to any actor or other employee who touches them, which they also don't seem to want to do. And it's also challenging because characters are usually supposed to be doing dangerous things with guns.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Elukka posted:

So even this small film has a budget in the millions. Big ones go to tens or hundreds of millions.

Why is it necessary to use real guns that are even physically capable of firing bullets? Surely they could afford to make props? If you go the real gun route, it seems like you should give firearms training to any actor or other employee who touches them, which they also don't seem to want to do. And it's also challenging because characters are usually supposed to be doing dangerous things with guns.

Because only real guns look like real guns. Pretty sure they all receive firearms training, they just immediately forget it because they majored in drama.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Elukka posted:

it's because alec baldwin has an insatiable lust for murder by firearm

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is not really the same as the Brandon Lee shooting where a piece of a dummy round broke off in the gun and then fired. Also Michael Massee has said in interviews that he still has nightmares about killing Brandon Lee.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Elukka posted:

Because they cut corners everywhere possible.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Because only real guns look like real guns. Pretty sure they all receive firearms training, they just immediately forget it because they majored in drama.

it would be entirely possible to modify real weapons with special firing pins and receivers such that they would fire specially made blank rounds that more or less resemble real bullets, but the weapon will no longer chamber real bullets

just sounds like money no one ever wanted to spend

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it would be entirely possible to modify real weapons with special firing pins and receivers such that they would fire specially made blank rounds that more or less resemble real bullets, but the weapon will no longer chamber real bullets

just sounds like money no one ever wanted to spend

That’s still a real gun in my book, they should do that. They really need to bring back squibs and blood packs though, the CGI poo poo looks like garbage.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Oh no, not Alec Baldwin he's seems like such a nice guy, what a shame, gosh darn

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Hollismason posted:

This is not really the same as the Brandon Lee shooting where a piece of a dummy round broke off in the gun and then fired. Also Michael Massee has said in interviews that he still has nightmares about killing Brandon Lee.

True, but an armorer not doing his loving job properly was involved. There should never have been real live rounds on set.

Reportedly, the weapon was taken off set and used by some crew to shoot at cans using live ammo. What probably happened is it still had some live rounds left in it when it was brought back, and then was likely not checked in properly.

https://www.thewrap.com/halyna-hutchins-live-ammo-target-practice/

Elukka posted:

Prop weapons are cheaper most of the time, and can usually be rented from prop weapon shops all ready to go. Real guns are only cheaper if you're being sponsored by some gun dealer

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

No matter what, I will always stand behind Alec Baldwin.

Especially if he's holding a gun

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

whatever happens here is still more consequences than William Burroughs ever saw for literally shooting his wife in the head during an argument while they were all drunk and high on / withdrawing from drugs!

Burroughs had the good sense to do that in (Old) Mexico, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The surefire way to get away with it is to do it on Future Mexico soil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99grind
Jan 19, 2023

Techno
relevant