Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
God the writing in this game is dire.

The gameplay so far has been excellent (Lumera flying across the field to Ridersbane Vander was a fun surprise), but my god, between the stewards' fanboying, "Emblem Marth, to be clear", (not really spoilers) Evil Hooded Girl loving off even though she wasn't hurt, and Lumera's five minute death speech telling Alear to "fight on with the utmost divinity", I do not have high hopes for anything that happens plotwise from here.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

'Emblem Marth, to be clear' is good

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

frankly armor units being able to turn off one of the game's core features feels a touch much, though i never thought he like, literally broke the game, he just seems a touch centralizing, at least on hard. personally id have just made armors immune to the first break each turn.

I have spent years with bad armors. I deserve overpowered armored units for at least one game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

clanne is like, laser focused on having exactly the right stats for hard mode. Exactly one-rounding enemies that would otherwise take three combats

Mages look to be really good this entry. Standard infantry movement, Tomes themselves have decent Might and being able to ignore the colossal terrain bonuses is so clutch. They can’t Break so they’re not an end-all-be-all solution but they seem to have a lot less obvious weaknesses this time around.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On one hand, a lot of the Alear worship is annoying

On the other hand I love Clanne and Framme being the founders, co-presidents, and only members of the Alear fan club. That is funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

clanne and framme are clearly meant to be a little overbearing and annoying going by alear's reactions to them, you arent meant to go 'haha yeah i AM awesome', its a joke

clanne is a bit annoying even so but framme is charming enough

also i dont understand the multiple people bringing up 'emblem marth, to be clear' it is the most banal line

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alcryst's intro scene is great, by the way. Like it goes a bit cartoony for my tastes but I love the basic concept.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m about four chapters in and I actually don’t mind the story! The concept of emblems is deeply deeply stupid, and the divine one gets a bit grating, but the story is told quite well, and I thought the chapter 3 death scene was actually kinda touching! A heal staff was used! People don’t die that quickly! Dragon magic!!

I’m pretty engaged in the plot, Saturday morning cartoon tho it may be.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The actual dialogue isn't fantastic, and the story beats are a bit standard but literally every single character so far except for Alfred and his retainers have been A++. I love how goofy this game is. Just enjoy it. Not everything has to be deep and morally ambiguous.

Besides there's definitely some stuff happening with the lost memory, even if they're a bit predictable.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

slapping Sigurd on Framme is extremely funny and also seems like it's going to be extremely good with a little bit of investment, this owns.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Having to run around and talk to everyone/pick poo poo off the ground after missions is such a bummer after a while. Just give it all to me on a loot screen after the battle!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

God the writing in this game is dire.

The gameplay so far has been excellent (Lumera flying across the field to Ridersbane Vander was a fun surprise), but my god, between the stewards' fanboying, "Emblem Marth, to be clear", (not really spoilers) Evil Hooded Girl loving off even though she wasn't hurt, and Lumera's five minute death speech telling Alear to "fight on with the utmost divinity", I do not have high hopes for anything that happens plotwise from here.

I normally never do this, but I'm skipping cutscenes and mashing through dialogue. The combat is excellent, I like the Emblem system and all the troop management stuff, but the story and characters are just white noise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you go staight to the exit you will get all the bond fragments you missed, which is the most important reward unless you love Eggs

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Endorph posted:

also i dont understand the multiple people bringing up 'emblem marth, to be clear' it is the most banal line
Because that's not how English speakers use words.

If it were just the one time then it'd be whatever, but that line is emblematic (:v:) of a problem I've seen come up in the writing multiple times already, and I've only finished chapter 3. Characters keep phrasing things in ways that technically make sense, but that no human would ever utter aloud.

I can deal with the plot being a Saturday morning cartoon if that's what it wants to be. But it's off-putting when characters keep saying weirdly-phrased poo poo.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I was kind of despising the cast when Alfred showed up with his group but later recruits have been better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But. He is emblem marth. He is the emblem of marth. Hes emblem marth. Why wouldnt he say it like that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I am Bond. James Bond, to be clear.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Also, the archer chick isn't jacked enough for all her lines to be about having big muscles, working out, etc. It's bizarre. She just has a deep voice!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I had to switch to JP for a while because of hortensia. And I heavily tolerate high pitch but that was like a special audio spectrum.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tbf she has noticeable abs which is more than alfred has

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Imo it's ok for video game dialogue to not be 100% realistic to the way people talk irl, because the way people talk irl would be incredibly boring to read/listen to.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so far the story is insanely generic but the gameplay is very polished and fun so I'm happy.
lmao @ Etie having the character design she does and then finding out her personality is "bodybuilding maniac"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean I think the “to be clear” line is supposed to indicate that these aren’t like. The literal spooky ghosts of the old protags.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah theyre like, projections or w/e. they didnt nab marth and stick him in a ring its just a projection of a Legendary Hero From Folklore... or something. so when marths saying 'im emblem marth' hes saying 'im *emblem* marth'. which is a perfectly reasonable distinction for a real person to make and appending the title to make that distinction is pretty natural.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Endorph posted:

But. He is emblem marth. He is the emblem of marth. Hes emblem marth. Why wouldnt he say it like that.
Because he could have just said "I am the Emblem known as Marth" instead of splitting it into two sentences and adding "to be clear" which is a weird fuckin thing to say when you introduce yourself to someone. The writing keeps using this kind of weird phrasing when a much simpler one would do just fine.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Imo it's ok for video game dialogue to not be 100% realistic to the way people talk irl, because the way people talk irl would be incredibly boring to read/listen to.
I mean sure, and like, I don't give a poo poo when the characters start talking tutorials at me. It's a game. I'm still gonna notice when they say things in the plot that sound strange to my ears.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Because he could have just said "I am the Emblem known as Marth"
that sounds 1000x more awkward and unnatural

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'i am doctor johnson'
'i am the doctor known as johnson'

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

It's not clear to me if Emblem is a title like Doctor but okay, fine. "I am Emblem Marth", then. Still much better than what they used.

Given that all the weird phrasing I've seen so far has been in CG cutscenes, I actually kinda wonder if some of it is just padding to line up with the JP lip-sync.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

'i am johnson. dr. johnson to be precise'

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

'i am doctor johnson'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

I was kind of despising the cast when Alfred showed up with his group but later recruits have been better

I've seen a couple of people point to Alfred and co as noticeably weaker characters than the rest of the cast but they don't seem that bad imo. Maybe Alfred himself because its weird to get another big fanboy a chapter after Clanne and Framme but I was expecting worse. Like they're kinda generic but in the history of early game fighters and archers I don't think Etie and Boucheron compare badly.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Etie’s cool and has a good design I just hate Alfred and want to stuff him in a locker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boucheron is somewhere above dorcas and somewhere below bartre. the best thing about alfred is how insanely homoerotic his supports are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know is sigurd's horse the one he had in fe4 or is it just a generic ghost horse. can the horse understand the concept of being an immortal ghost hero. these are the deep question fire emblem engage raises.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Boucheron's a good lad. Into fishing, hiking, relaxing. Beefcake.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

In terms of quirks I don't think 'loves bodybuilding and muscles' is a bad one, I'm just not sure if Alfred and both of his retainers needed to share it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can always get behind a simple country lad.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The true mystery from Engage is why are half the downtime clothes formal attire and half casual hoodies from Uniqlo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

In terms of quirks I don't think 'loves bodybuilding and muscles' is a bad one, I'm just not sure if Alfred and both of his retainers needed to share it.

all the nobles and retainers share a theme but they usually iterate on it better i feel like. like both of alcryst's retainers have confidence issues too but they express it in different ways from alcryst, lapis just wants to keep her head down and do the work given to her and citrinne feels the need to be like, hypervigilant and a proper noble since shes technically part of the royal family.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Treehouse loves putting lower voice girls for JP higher pitch, but they also do it in the reverse for guys for some reason. Like Alfred is way deeper in JP, also they gave him a squeek vocal for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
etie's abs are nowhere near visible enough in game

Tae posted:

Treehouse loves putting lower voice girls for JP higher pitch, but they also do it in the reverse for guys for some reason. Like Alfred is way deeper in JP, also they gave him a squeek vocal for some reason.
yeah i don't get this at all idk why they don't just try to capture the vibe of the jp voice

britain canonically being this one tiny island in firene is funny though, does jean's village have a distinctive accent with the jp voices too

lih fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 21, 2023