Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't think I've ever had bad meatloaf

I'm not sure how you would gently caress it up outside of burning/undercooking it or adding inedible ingredients such as lye or miracle gro

Imagine something totally unseasoned and overcooked till completely dry and you're like halfway there, it's loving gross

vvv edit: true, but if you had ever met my dad you would realize that in this case my mom was the right choice to cook between the two of them

Edit 2: I searched online for a photo comparable to my mom's meatloaf but I literally can't find one that looks as bad as hers

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
one of the many problems with assigning household tasks based on gender

(though neither of my parents could cook worth a drat)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please don't send me to the cornfield, Becky, I'll make you all the meatloaf you want :sweatdrop:

Clutch Cargo rear end Becky

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, the meatloaf that comes out looking like that cookbook is why everyone thinks they hate meatloaf. Good meatloaf is worthwhile, I've never tried it in sandwich form though.

My meatloaf isn't particularly labor intensive, but it is a pain in the rear end, so I only make it a couple times per year. Leftovers never last long enough to be sandwiched, and if I don't part out and label any for myself, my roommate will devour most of a meatloaf between when I go to sleep at 9-10pm, and when I wake up around 5am.

She will then hibernate for about 2 days allowing me to watch all the horror movies I want.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please don't send me to the cornfield, Becky, I'll make you all the meatloaf you want :sweatdrop:
For more wisdom:
https://twitter.com/AnUrbanNeurotic/status/1613579444240748566

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Consider it a...marinade, of sorts. Ever heard of brining a chicken?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to cook"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
meatloaf sammich, toast the bread real good and douse the 'loaf in worcestershire sauce. good times.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
feetloaf.

Here's a fancy german(?) version which uses a stack of babybel cheese as the tibia. Watch to the end to see what happens when he pulls it apart.

https://www.chefclub.tv/en-us/recipes/original/50f1d031-e62f-4092-b50b-dd7ac09f0c2c/foot-loaf-foot-loaf-smells-like-feet/

Valko has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jan 20, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you want to shove ~1lb of ground beef in your face there's just so many tastier and/or easier ways to do it than as a big, nasty, sweaty log that comes out visually identical to how it goes in. In no particular order:

-hamburger
-loco moco (the best way)
-white person tacos
-raw, straight from the package
-taco salad
-spaghetti sauce
-chili
-taco pizza
-Salisbury steak
-lasagna

I'm sure there's more.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Valko posted:

feetloaf.

Here's a fancy german(?) version which uses a stack of babybel cheese as the tibia. Watch to the end to see what happens when he pulls it apart.

https://www.chefclub.tv/en-us/recipes/original/50f1d031-e62f-4092-b50b-dd7ac09f0c2c/foot-loaf-foot-loaf-smells-like-feet/

Chef Club is French food crimes clickbait, Scrumdiddlyuptious is the German food crimes clickbait.

I hate that a portion of my brain holds this information instead of more important things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elviscat posted:

If you want to shove ~1lb of ground beef in your face there's just so many tastier and/or easier ways to do it than as a big, nasty, sweaty log that comes out visually identical to how it goes in. In no particular order:

-hamburger
-white person tacos
-taco salad
-spaghetti sauce
-chili
-taco pizza
-Salisbury steak
-lasagna

I'm sure there's more.
Salisbury steak is just personal pan meatloaf.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Elviscat posted:

-hamburger
-white person tacos
-taco salad
-spaghetti sauce
-chili
-taco pizza
-Salisbury steak
-lasagna

I'm sure there's more.

I will always have a soft spot for sloppy joes from scratch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Mom! The onion is making my eyes water!! :cry:"

"Ah, don't worry about it"

oh ... okay

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

"Mom! The onion is making my eyes water!! :cry:"

"Ah, don't worry about it"

oh ... okay

Sharpen your drat knife!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This conversation made me question if Meat Loaf died or not and it turns out today is the one year anniversary of his death. :rip:

If I had known I would have made a meatloaf. But thanks meatloaf spirits for coming into the bad food thread to remind us.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1616424052469424130

I want to know more about these, specifically how they aren't a fun prank that sets someone's toaster on fire

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I want to know more about these, specifically how they aren't a fun prank that sets someone's toaster on fire

yeah, that and "product not available in Minnesota"

what did they know??

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Minnesota had extreme margarine laws like Wisconsin. It's probably an illegal color.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1616594990234214406

Cooked to perfection, excellent sear :kiss:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1616424052469424130

This makes SO MUCH sense aside from maybe use them in a toaster oven instead of a standard vertical toaster where all the butter could just slough off the sides and drip down into the machine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The tail end of the era when “artificial” had the sense of “modern and futuristic” rather than “pretend”

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SlothfulCobra posted:

This makes SO MUCH sense aside from maybe use them in a toaster oven instead of a standard vertical toaster where all the butter could just slough off the sides and drip down into the machine.

I'm guessing it's like the melted butter brushed onto the top of a dinner roll, not anything that would slough

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Forbidden cheese sauce

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Slop some fancy ketchup on that bad boy and you’ve got a steak a billionaire could appreciate

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Honestly that's basically what you do to a steak after sous vide. Get a hard a sear as possible as quickly as possible with something as hot as possible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
wake me up when they use the fusion laser lab to cook a steak

it'll cook that tomahawk at 180 million degrees Fahrenheit

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The "why" on the forbidden cheese sauce is probably "safety demonstration"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/oy02iiww5fda1/DASH_720.mp4

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ramen elote? Would... once

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I know people who tarred roads and used to wrap steaks up in tinfoil and cook them on top of hot tar. Sometimes they didn't have tinfoil so they hosed off their shovels and used those as frying pans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Valko posted:

I know people who tarred roads and used to wrap steaks up in tinfoil and cook them on top of hot tar. Sometimes they didn't have tinfoil so they hosed off their shovels and used those as frying pans.

Fireman's special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4W5dTFxHF4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

gratuitous loose corn

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BigHead posted:

Honestly that's basically what you do to a steak after sous vide. Get a hard a sear as possible as quickly as possible with something as hot as possible.

Pittsburgh style is literally just getting a surface as hot as possible and only cooking it long enough to sear the outside and leave it rare in the middle.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Nameless Pete posted:

I routinely make pumpkin and cream cheese enchiladas that these would be great for. Mix it together with chicken and black beans, a crapton of cumin, and smother the whole deal in mole poblano.

ressipee plz

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ayiyiyi

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Valko posted:

I know it's nowhere near as hardcore (lol), but you just reminded me of how, when I used to work in a supermarket deli, the butchers used to pop in at lunchtime to cook steaks in the rotisserie machine.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Budak noodles make my boyfriend's eyes water in the next room while I cook them. They're the best.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UwUnabomber posted:

Budak noodles make my boyfriend's eyes water in the next room while I cook them. They're the best.

The problem I have with them is that the buldak sauce often just overpowers the other flavours they package with it. Balance things out a bit! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Pookah posted:

I know it's nowhere near as hardcore (lol), but you just reminded me of how, when I used to work in a supermarket deli, the butchers used to pop in at lunchtime to cook steaks in the rotisserie machine.

Reminds me of when I lived in the city and was trying to pick a local butcher to buy from. There was one place that had a rotisserie machine and some other hot food counters. I decided I would never buy out of there, when I walk into a butcher shop I don't want it to be room temperature - It's got to be a bit colder than that.