Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't have a picture, but my grandparents' house in Illinois had a laundry shitter. The laundry room was the pass through to the basement stairs, too.

There was a partition wall and a pair of saloon style doors separating the toilet from the washer/dryer.

And thanks to being remodeled in the 70s, was a seafoam green toilet surrounded by fake wood panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This. I don't care if it's a Jack and Jill bathroom but I would like a spare shitter. Anyone who's had date night at Chili's understands why you need two shitters.

What I really want is a plumbed outhouse hooked to septic. Split farmhouse style door with a screen for the top, so I can wave at the neighbors as they drive off for work. Might as well put an outlet and a light out there, too. Just a free standing 4'x4' insulated building solely for taking shits, while a cool desert breeze takes care of ventilation.

My dad has a two seater side by side outhouse, no dividing partition

And there's no septic hookup despite the septic mound being five feet away. Why bother

Speaking of insulation, my aunt and her husband go up to the UP to their camp most of the winter. Just an outhouse, unheated,uninsulated. I guess you're out of the wind at least but good grief

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mastershakeman posted:

My dad has a two seater side by side outhouse, no dividing partition

And there's no septic hookup despite the septic mound being five feet away. Why bother

Speaking of insulation, my aunt and her husband go up to the UP to their camp most of the winter. Just an outhouse, unheated,uninsulated. I guess you're out of the wind at least but good grief

I don't think my county allows traditional outhouses anymore. Probably not a lot of places would these days.

But I understand that simplicity is sometimes the best route.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Barn doors for a bedroom closet? And this is in a well-maintained 100 year old home near downtown in my smallish city. $400k for 1,400 square feet in Minnesota lol.

that's basically the entire piece of poo poo aesthetic that's at target

so well off white women can pretend they live on a farm and do hard work or w/e

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Barn doors for a bedroom closet? And this is in a well-maintained 100 year old home near downtown in my smallish city. $400k for 1,400 square feet in Minnesota lol.

you can roll to the end of your bed and piss directly out the window without getting up, very convenient

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is from a house near me, has the exact same layout as mine

In order to make an en suite master bath they took the bonus room, blocked access to it from the central hallway, and punched a door into the wall from the second bedroom (which is now the master).

Barn door of course, because gently caress you

(also that picture's stretched to make it look bigger)

those table lamps are an obvious rip off of https://arnejacobsen.com/works/aj-lamp/

i pretty much assume this poo poo is a ripoff instead of the real thing

Apr 7, 2003

That room is almost certainly digitally staged, someone posted an article about that a few days ago

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Barn doors go everywhere. Put them everywhere. Barn door showers. Barn door cabinets. Got an empty wall? Put some loving barn doors that lead nowhere on it. Put barn doors across your hallway, don't worry about how you're going to open them. Your front door should be a barn door. If the primary structural component in your home isn't barn doors, what are you even doing.

don't forget about saloon doors

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

It’s either barn doors or bifold doors, pick your poison

Apr 7, 2003

straight up bifold doors, every time

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have bifold doors in 3 different places in my condo, but it could be worse. https://www.signaturehardware.com/p...BCABEgKwjfD_BwE

Apr 7, 2003

cheaper than I thought they'd be for trendy Signature Hardware poo poo tbh

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CongoJack posted:

I have bifold doors in 3 different places in my condo, but it could be worse. https://www.signaturehardware.com/p...BCABEgKwjfD_BwE

are you loving kidding me

I unironically experienced visceral anger when the link loaded

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

haven't seen prices budge in an area we've been eyeing for the past year that's heavy with techbros.
not sure when/if the layoffs will start affecting prices

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

Barn doors go everywhere. Put them everywhere. Barn door showers. Barn door cabinets. Got an empty wall? Put some loving barn doors that lead nowhere on it. Put barn doors across your hallway, don't worry about how you're going to open them. Your front door should be a barn door. If the primary structural component in your home isn't barn doors, what are you even doing.

Excuse me, that's called an accent wall. And that's reclaimed wood.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

WaryWarren posted:

At least they didn't cover over the original hardwood floors with vinyl poo poo because they are an out-of-style color of wood.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

don't forget about saloon doors

i want to bust through these like Kramer so bad

Apr 7, 2003

my wife's grandma has a set of those in the basement and it's really fun to do that

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Not saying it's not fine, but most people will balk at it.

this is correct. it’s a major price jump in some areas. possibly a hundred or even hundreds of thousands.

pfc yes it’s fine to only have one, but a large percentage of people don’t think it’s fine. it’s a class signifier from their childhood.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CongoJack posted:

lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im bi

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just had a great idea, you want to get a new floor (for your dutch apartment)

get yourself and 1000 friends/bots to each order a free sample of the same floor

boom free floor

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

mastershakeman posted:

we have a tiny kitchen without an island that seemed big coming from a poverty apartment but sucks horribly (and you have to go between the fridge and stove to get to the back door, basement door, and half bath); every other house has huge renovations to their kitchens. i guess when they were all built in the 40s/50s the assumption was the wife would stay at home cooking all day and no one would get in her way, but when two adults are both trying to use things to cook after work its just terrible.

Just take turns cooking. Sharing a kitchen is just asking for divorce.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

War and Pieces posted:

Just take turns cooking. Sharing a kitchen is just asking for divorce.

yeah. cooking cannot be done simultaneously by two equal partners.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

WaryWarren posted:

all of this decor is like built under the assumption its gonna have an accent wall and gray carpeting lol. looks like poo poo in an old house. looks like poo poo in general, but worse.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

cool av posted:

yeah. cooking cannot be done simultaneously by two equal partners.

there's a reason why professional kitchens use military ranks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

War and Pieces posted:

there's a reason why professional kitchens use military ranks

They use french titles and a rank structure. There's no such thing as a command omelets major.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

love the implication that the French military doesn't count

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Saucier is not a military rank.

Plongeur is not a military rank.

Friturier is not a military rank.

Patissier is not a military rank.

Kitchen brigade may be structured in a military-esque style, but I never saluted a loving sous chef in my time in the army or a kitchen.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Jan 21, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is correct. it’s a major price jump in some areas. possibly a hundred or even hundreds of thousands.

pfc yes it’s fine to only have one, but a large percentage of people don’t think it’s fine. it’s a class signifier from their childhood.

Yep. Our house was one full bath and two half baths before it burned down, mostly because the original owners from the 60s had altered the plans in some really weird ways. We converted to an en suite and a second full bath during the rebuild because it was trivially easy and we didn't lose any space in the process. Doesn't matter to us, but not doing it while we had the opportunity effectively for free would have been pissing an incredible amount of money down the drain.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
a common site among rentals in pre ww2 houses in my area apparently

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

that's all you need tbh

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Saucier is not a military rank.

Plongeur is not a military rank.

Friturier is not a military rank.

Patissier is not a military rank.

Kitchen brigade may be structured in a military-esque style, but I never saluted a loving sous chef in my time in the army or a kitchen.

Of course you didn’t. A sous chef is an NCO

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

a common site among rentals in pre ww2 houses in my area apparently

I have a tub like that except it was deliberately installed in 1996

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a tub like that except it was deliberately installed in 1996

I rented this house when I was in college ($600/month lol wonder what it goes for now). Anyway, a second bathroom had been added to the upstairs bedroom. Guess where it was?

if you guessed in that weird little addition that hangs over the porch you are correct. In fact, the toilet was placed so that your rear end was perfectly positioned to be viewed from the street through the window

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I rented this house when I was in college ($600/month lol wonder what it goes for now). Anyway, a second bathroom had been added to the upstairs bedroom. Guess where it was?

if you guessed in that weird little addition that hangs over the porch you are correct. In fact, the toilet was placed so that your rear end was perfectly positioned to be viewed from the street through the window

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Actually kind of a fun story about that house. Towards the end of my time there a family of stray cats moved into the crawl space under the house. I kept calling the landlord about it and she said she’s do something because it was producing some bad smells and also a flea infestation. Anyway, that started in May/June and I was moving in August anyway. Made the mistake of telling her I was moving out of state and she kept my entire deposit under the justification that I had been keeping cats in violation of the lease

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

look if you want your $250 back I'm going to need you to personally strangle a half dozen feral cats

Apr 7, 2003

My last rental was a duplex and when the medical student next store moved out, the landlord made him cut down a 20’ long hedge if he wanted his deposit back. Just straight up illegal poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

goon compound spotted