Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

freebooter posted:

Nah, Americans would react very differently to a pandemic that could be tackled with guns as opposed to one that could be tackled by severe restrictions on personal freedoms for the 12-18 months it took to develop and distribute vaccines. I reckon a lot of the CHUDs who refused to do so much as ever wear a mask would think a zombie outbreak is the best thing that ever happened and throw themselves into fighting it with gusto.

Depends on the race the zombie is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
the weird thing about the fungus outbreak (and the station 11 outbreak also) is that, having been through a global pandemic, its now popular knowledge that a disease, contaminated grain, etc doesn't travel everywhere all at once overnight. having a disease suddenly overtake the entire country/world in a few hours is a little straining on credulity.

its a minor nitpick and i'm genuinely glad that this show isn't (so far) showing zombies as anything more than an aesthetic and environmental hazard. genuinely hoping it's more "the road" and less "walking dead."

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Never played the game.. so this show is just Children of Men, but with zombies?

Not complaining - Children of Men was an amazing movie and zombies are cool. First episode was great. But it was a real "they're the same picture" moment when they start testing Ellie in the Firefly HQ.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Not complaining - Children of Men was an amazing movie and zombies are cool. First episode was great. But it was a real "they're the same picture" moment when they start testing Ellie in the Firefly HQ.

If Last of Us has a single take scene as incredible as the one near the of Children of Men then it will be the best show on HBO.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Live At Five! posted:

If Last of Us has a single take scene as incredible as the one near the of Children of Men then it will be the best show on HBO.

That take was a drat labor of love.

The visual effects, set dressing, costuming, and everything was really well done. I'm sure they had great source material from the game to pull from but translating that into a set is really drat hard and they pulled it off. I wonder how many people they have on set whose entire job is just to go "no that was built after 2004". The visual effects are great - the dead zombie in the tunnels with the fungus spreading out away from it was really fantastic and the entire opening action sequence didn't feel like TV, must have blown a lot of budget on it. The camera shot from the backseat as they try to navigate was great. I also really appreciated the little details like other cars following Tommy into the field like "this guy must have an idea I'll follow him".

Overall just great fun. Really built the suspense perfectly at the beginning. I fricken love zombie movies / shows right as the "contagion" is spreading, the slow burn as the protagonist gradually becomes aware that something is wrong, it's addictive when done right and this one did it perfectly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

The initial concept of the game was inspired by CoM, so there are a lot of parallels. Especially in the earliest sections. It goes in very different directions in the latter half though, and by the second game it’s entirely its own thing.

I don’t think this show is going to have a take on the level of CoM’s. That poo poo is incredibly hard even when you have craftsmen at the top of their field. They almost didn’t get it for that film and we’re going to have to resort to a less extravagant plan B. Only managed to get it correct in the final take available.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

The initial concept of the game was inspired by CoM, so there are a lot of parallels. Especially in the earliest sections. It goes in very different directions in the latter half though, and by the second game it’s entirely its own thing.

I don’t think this show is going to have a take on the level of CoM’s. That poo poo is incredibly hard even when you have craftsmen at the top of their field. They almost didn’t get it for that film and we’re going to have to resort to a less extravagant plan B. Only managed to get it correct in the final take available.

My favorite part of that CoM long take is the blood from a squib accidentally getting onto the camera and they kept it because it looked cool and then had to digitally remove it for the rest of the scene.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
took the subway into Manhattan today and drat were there HD video ads for TLoU EVERY WHERE.
Bummer for me because when I know I'm going to watch something, I stay as spoiler free as possible--no ads, commercials, trailers, Next Week Ons. The ads showed so much poo poo. It was difficult to ignore too because while I was waiting at Grand Central or waiting on a corner for a bus, I'd see a bunch of crazy lights in the corner of my eye and instinctively turn to look.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Didn't the old guy eat the biscuits too? Why wasn't he a fungus monster? Or the other non wheel chair old lady with the cookies? Was she a nurse? What was going on in that house?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Didn't the old guy eat the biscuits too? Why wasn't he a fungus monster? Or the other non wheel chair old lady with the cookies? Was she a nurse? What was going on in that house?

p sure that non wheel chair old lady with the cookies and the guy are a married couple and the old zombie woman was one of their mothers

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

This is a good point. Maybe it worked faster on granny because her immune system wasn’t so robust?

Pretty sure the man and woman were married and the old woman was the man’s mother.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I feel that a lot of these questions will be answered tonight and in the coming episodes. It's not really useful getting worked up about how the infection works if we have no idea yet.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Live At Five! posted:

True Detective season 1 had a long take like this (it's the end of episode 4) and it's my favorite scene in film or TV.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If you like long takes the Daredevil show had one really good one per season - the first one in the pilot of season one kinda put the show on the map.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Birdman movie is one long take. 1917 is another one I can think of.

Both very different kinds of movies but both excellent. Of course they're not actually filmed in one take but they have hidden the cuts extremely well.

The single take style just gives a real immediate quality to a film where it really feels like things are happening in real time and you're there tagging along to witness it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Mr. Robot had an entire episode that was "one" long take as well from start to finish. (In reality every time the camera pans across a static wall or something there was definitely a cut but the scene is edited so that it looks like a single take.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like genuine long takes but when they're filled with really obvious cuts it feels a bit pointless.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

With the two movies I've mentioned it's really obvious that its supposed to give the idea of the main character(s) being followed around by a person with a camera. In 1917 there's one obvious cut and it's part of the story, otherwise it's just like you're there. It's pretty neat.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The long takes in CoM also have hidden cuts. They’re fairly obvious points if you know where to look. But they’re motivated camera movements, so they work.

A few shows will do long takes as attention gaining stunts but they don’t really serve the action as well as conventional cuts might.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ProperCoochie posted:

took the subway into Manhattan today and drat were there HD video ads for TLoU EVERY WHERE.
Bummer for me because when I know I'm going to watch something, I stay as spoiler free as possible--no ads, commercials, trailers, Next Week Ons. The ads showed so much poo poo. It was difficult to ignore too because while I was waiting at Grand Central or waiting on a corner for a bus, I'd see a bunch of crazy lights in the corner of my eye and instinctively turn to look.

I managed to avoid spoilers and trailers for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, until I saw it in the movie theater, and there was a trailer for Lego Star Wars that revealed most of the plot. Modern trailers are so awful, if I want to see a summary of the movie I'd go on Youtube.

Anyway, my favourite "oner" is this fight scene from The Protector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESe7U467vs

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

The long takes in CoM also have hidden cuts. They’re fairly obvious points if you know where to look. But they’re motivated camera movements, so they work.

The one in the car, for what it’s worth, doesn’t

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

spankmeister posted:

The Birdman movie is one long take. 1917 is another one I can think of.

Both very different kinds of movies but both excellent. Of course they're not actually filmed in one take but they have hidden the cuts extremely well.

The single take style just gives a real immediate quality to a film where it really feels like things are happening in real time and you're there tagging along to witness it.

Alfred Hitchcock's Rope is another long take movie, one of my favorites of his.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The one deliberate cut in 1917 is incredible when it happens.

Rollos posted:

Alfred Hitchcock's Rope is another long take movie, one of my favorites of his.

Love that film, though some of the hidden cuts are kinda hilarious in how artificial they are. Why yes of course a normal thing to do in filmmaking is to slowly close in on the back of somebody's jacket till it fills up the entire screen!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

True Detective season 1 had a long take like this (it's the end of episode 4) and it's my favorite scene in film or TV.

Yeah that one was incredible

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bear has a great entire episode oner

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shageletic posted:

Episode of 2022.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 22, 2023

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Lmao @ any of these holding a candle to the Always Sunny in Philadelphia ep

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

blue squares posted:

The one in the car, for what it’s worth, doesn’t

It actually does, but only when the camera exits the vehicle at the end.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I'm glad they completely cut out the tutorial mission where Joel and Tess hunt down Robert, it is extremely loving silly and video gamey where Joel and Tess murder a whole bunch of dudes (in reality Joel missing every single shot and Tess cleaning up after you). Here it boils down Robert's characterization where he just keeps making lovely deals one after the other until he fucks up so bad it kills him offscreen. And it gives Joel some better motivation for why he's doing what he's doing. Though Tess' motivation is excellent and she's great on screen. They really gave her and Joel an interesting level of affection.

Tom Tucker posted:

The visual effects, set dressing, costuming, and everything was really well done. I'm sure they had great source material from the game to pull from but translating that into a set is really drat hard and they pulled it off. I wonder how many people they have on set whose entire job is just to go "no that was built after 2004". The visual effects are great - the dead zombie in the tunnels with the fungus spreading out away from it was really fantastic

Oh that part was totally inspired by Alex Garland's Annihilation.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Oh that part was totally inspired by Alex Garland's Annihilation.

Not sure which way that goes. Naughty Dog had really similar concept art prior to that film. I think both were pulling from a fine artist whose name I can’t recall at the moment.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Boiling Point did the 'kitchen nightmare oner' better!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The best oners are by Speilberg, because they’re so natural and well motivated no one even notices them. Dude has an average duration between cuts of 30 seconds in an industry whose average 3-5 seconds. He’s been covering entire scenes in single shots since the early 80s.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Chamale posted:

Anyway, my favourite "oner" is this fight scene from The Protector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESe7U467vs

They really should have called this Tony Jaa’s Where’s My Elephant?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Russian Ark is one continuous shot, ninety‐six minutes long.

Wikipedia has a list of such films here.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

As somebody completely new to the franchise, i watched and enjoyed it! It was kind of funny noticing the bits that were obviously video game logic set pieces and plot points. I feel it actually might tighten up many tv shows, if they were kept as clear cut on a linear progression of story as video game plots are. Good show, chaps!
add to the insanity.

I did fully chuckle when they got separated by a car crash happening next to an alley

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

ricro posted:

I did fully chuckle when they got separated by a car crash happening next to an alley
also, couldn't the brother just jump on top of one of the cars that basically formed a ramp? it was a pretty goofy scene with videogame-y logic

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I was watching with friends and one of them yelled "waist high walls!" when we got up to that part.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't even realise the cars were blocking the alley at first and wandered why they didn't simply walk around it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NieR Occomata posted:

Google the last of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hopping on the appreciation bandwagon for the stunt guy who smashed himself into everything in that diner. Wonder how many takes that was?

I also :lol:ed at the trivial barrier made by crashed cars and at the battery fetch quest.