Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

OhFunny posted:

The Russian attack in Zaporizhia does in fact look like a major push on Orikiv.

paradox mapgames prepared me for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You must be new to this whole war thing, huh?

??

????

OhFunny posted:

The Russian attack in Zaporizhia does in fact look like a major push on Orikiv.

Lol the orks are advancing on orkhiv

Ytlaya posted:

Germans lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Russia is pretty straight edge at this point tbh,

Maybe in comparison with the harder drinking European countries, but compared with the rest of the world, there's almost no part of Europe or Russia or the US that I'd call "pretty straight edge." Still, the domestic alcohol control programs have had impressive results in a relatively short period of time.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

how are hundreds of soldiers being killed daily and theres little progress being made? do they just replace the ones killed instantly or what's going on here?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Germany refused to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine after an “historic” summit failed to bridge deep divides with the US and other allies.

Despite five hours of talks and concerted pressure from the US, Britain, France, Spain, Finland and Poland, Germany dashed hopes of a breakthrough to bolster Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s forces.

”We still cannot say when a decision will be taken, and what the decision will be, when it comes to the Leopard tank,” German Federal Minister of Defence Boris Pistorius told reporters following talks between defence ministers from 50 nations.

Kyiv has repeatedly urged its allies to send battle tanks, in particular the German-built Leopard 2 to help turn the tide of the war. Germany has so far refused to send any of its own tanks or clear the way for other armies to send them, but Pistorius yesterday said the idea that Germany was “standing in the way” of “a united coalition” was wrong.

Fifteen countries that operate the Leopard 2 discussed the dispute at the meeting, and Pistorius took care not to rule out the tanks being delivered at a later date. He said he had ordered the ministry to look into Germany’s tank stocks so he could be prepared for a possible green light and be able to “act immediately”.

”I am very sure that there will be a decision in the short-term, but I don’t know how the decision will look,” he said. It could take “a day, a week or a month” to come to a verdict, he added.

Olaf Scholz, the German chancellor, has so far refused to grant export licenses to the European countries that want to send their Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, including Poland and Finland, for fear of provoking Russian President Vladimir Putin into spreading the war to the West.

Officials in Kyiv said the meeting at Ramstein in Germany was not the end of discussions and that they were confident Germany would agree to release the tanks in the coming days or weeks.

Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to Zelenskyy, said they could be on the battlefield within two months if the decision was made now, and that Ukraine could win the war “this year” if enough were delivered.

Earlier in the week, Scholz told US President Joe Biden he would only allow Leopards to be delivered if Biden sent Ukraine M1 Abrams tanks, which Washington has ruled out because they are costly and hard to maintain.

The US confirmed yesterday that it would not send Abrams, but Pistorius appeared to U-turn by saying Germany could send its Leopard 2 without the US going first. The decisions were “not linked”, he said.

As the summit at the Ramstein US air base began, President Zelenskyy made an impassioned plea for Berlin to back down in the stand-off, which German media dubbed “Panzer poker”.

”We have to speed up. Time must become our weapon, just like air defence and artillery, armoured vehicles and tanks, which we are negotiating about with you and which will actually make a victory,” Zelenskyy said via video link.”You can start this policy today.”

Kyiv has been calling for the powerful Leopard 2 to press offensives against Russian troops, who are feared to be preparing for a fresh onslaught in Ukraine after the winter.

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, who convened the talks, added: “Russia is regrouping, recruiting and trying to re-equip. This is not a moment to slow down. It is a time to dig deeper.” As news of the failure at the summit spread, there were protests outside the Chancellery in Berlin.

Lord Dannatt, the former head of the British Army, said: “This is a real opportunity missed for Germany to have made a positive contribution to the security of Europe. If we want to see Ukraine winning on the battlefield, they need heavy armour.”

A US official told the AP there was some bewilderment in the Biden administration over the German position, since Britain, another Nato ally, has already agreed to provide Challenger 2 tanks.

After the meeting, the US Defense Secretary sought to play down the rift and described Germany as a “reliable ally”. Asked by a reporter if Germany was doing enough to show “real leadership” in Europe, Austin replied: “Yes, but we can all do more. They are a reliable ally and they’ve been that way for a very, very long time,” he said. “And I truly believe that they’ll continue to be a reliable ally going forward.”

Poland Defence Minister Mariusz Blaszczak said the meeting was a “good discussion among allies” and that the issue of the Leopard 2s would be discussed again in future talks. Warsaw has promised Kyiv a company of 14 Leopard 2s if other countries also supply the tanks. Blaszczak said that Poland would provide Ukraine with additional Soviet-made T-72 tanks and some infantry vehicles.

Poland hinted it could be prepared to deliver its Leopard 2s without Berlin’s permission, but said after the meeting it was “confident” it would eventually get the green light from Germany.

Zbigniew Rau, Poland’s foreign minister, said: “Ukrainian blood is shed for real. This is the price of hesitation over Leopard deliveries. We need action now.”

”Poland can start to train Ukrainian soldiers on Leopard 2 tanks if they want to,” Pistorius said in comments that suggest a possible German climb-down in the future.

The Kremlin has warned delivering the battle tanks would be an “extremely dangerous” escalation. A Kremlin spokesman said: “These tanks will require both maintenance and repairs, and so on, so will add to Ukraine’s problems, but will not change anything with regard to the Russian side achieving its goals.” Meanwhile, the US is advising Kyiv to hold off launching a major offensive against Russian troops until the latest supplies of US weapons are in place.

The US last night released photographs from November showing North Korea supplying weapons, such as infantry rockets and missiles, to Russia’s Wagner Group of mercenaries.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

A big flaming stink posted:

why are they chanting in english

the higher up a society's ladder you go, the more amerikabrain you have.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The German government seems to be unusually sensible here tbh

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think Germany should declare war on the Ukraine and invade from the west. It would be funny. To me.

I'm not gonna look at a map to see if that's possible or not. That's your problem now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/Levi_godman/status/1616423905127989250

morning jog full of people who wonder why germany isn't giving up her entire military to ukraine

for a war monger he made sure his very conscriptable son left the country.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody has skin in the game they only desire more war

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think Germany should declare war on the Ukraine and invade from the west. It would be funny. To me.

I'm not gonna look at a map to see if that's possible or not. That's your problem now.

it would be pretty funny yeah. or if a country that hasnt given away any of its gear makes their own territory grab against someone that did donate everything to Ukraine.

lots of comedic potential brewing for sure

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

Germany refused to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine after an “historic” summit failed to bridge deep divides with the US and other allies.

nato is more united than ever

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Alcohol consumption in Russia is below almost all of Europe at this point, it has gone way way down compared to where it was.

Admittedly, Ukraine does need MBTs and the Leopard 2 is a large pool of them at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Jan 21, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Did you seriously just drop a hard "the" when talking about Ukraine? I thought the forums didn't tolerate this sort of bigotry.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Despite saying otherwise I decided to look at a map and discovered there is a whole wall of other countries between Germany and Ukraine.

However, my grandma's homeland of Slovakia is in the perfect position to grab itself some delicious Ukraine soil. Come on. Do it for me.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Did you seriously just drop a hard "the" when talking about Ukraine? I thought the forums didn't tolerate this sort of bigotry.

oh wow i didnt even notice that. well thats not funny at all

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DancingShade posted:

I love peace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E

In the name of NATO.

Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.

Somebody photoshop Kane into the background of a photo of a zelensky press conference.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Navsteva/status/1616457613100695555

it wasn't even a month ago that people apparently believe in the oryx numbers

https://twitter.com/NieblaGuerra/status/1616138672461447181

that's a lot of naturally frozen fish

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danann posted:

morning jog full of people who wonder why germany isn't giving up her entire military to ukraine

Ah, that's that dude who was ambassador to Germany and recalled for being a Holocaust denier, then made Deputy Foreign Minister.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
oh man I am going to be so pissed if Germany doesn't give Ukraine the 100 tanks and Ukraine loses the war because of it. I know Germany has committed alot of crimes against western society in their past, this could top them all!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Germany has always been a friend to organizations of Ukrainian nationalists

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CODChimera posted:

how are hundreds of soldiers being killed daily and theres little progress being made? do they just replace the ones killed instantly or what's going on here?

The Germans lost more soldiers than the Commonwealth on the Somme. Fighting defensive battles requires you to either trade space or lives. The Ukrainians have opted for lives.

e: To add more context, you have to feed troops into the battle as reinforcements to hold positions despite losses, and feed formations in to regain lost ground. Both are costly.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Russia is pretty straight edge at this point tbh, not that drinking doesn’t happen but yeah it a continually slide.

Honestly, it is probably a good thing that drinking is way down to be honest, perhaps it is overcompensation.

Dang, alcohol consumption per capita fell by over a third in 5 years! And I see 38% of Russians claim not to drink. That's more than the puritan Americans. Just going on alcohol based mortality figures it looks like heavy drinking is significantly down too.
Do you know if there is the same sort of curve in America where 10% of the population does 70% of the drinking and 60% of the population has less than a drink a week, or if there is a larger middle ground of casual drinkers?

Despite saying otherwise I decided to look at a map and discovered there is a whole wall of other countries between Germany and Ukraine.

However, my grandma's homeland of Slovakia is in the perfect position to grab itself some delicious Ukraine soil. Come on. Do it for me.

Lwow is rightful Polish clay, or at least the Poles might do a better job of repressing naziism.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Weka posted:

Dang, alcohol consumption per capita fell by over a third in 5 years! And I see 38% of Russians claim not to drink. That's more than the puritan Americans. Just going on alcohol based mortality figures it looks like heavy drinking is significantly down too.
Do you know if there is the same sort of curve in America where 10% of the population does 70% of the drinking and 60% of the population has less than a drink a week, or if there is a larger middle ground of casual drinkers?

Yeah, the US is something similar.

The extreme level of alcoholism in Russia was the result of a generation of young people losing hope after the fall of the Soviet Union. A Russian born in 1980 was more likely to die of alcohol abuse than to graduate college. Ukraine had similar problems, but an even worse economic situation, because so much of their industry was vertically integrated with Russia, and they lost a lot of power generating capacity at Chernobyl.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I want to probate them but literally shaking too hard rn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

some people see an ecological disaster is sew a business opportunity

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Danann posted:

tbf it's pretty much the job of the ukrainian government to never be satisfied with the military hardware they get. if we're serious about needing them to win the war, they should also get it.

i can very much sympathise with the germans not wanting to disarm while the yanks are making all the money off this, though. three-digit losses of hundreds of leopard 2s is not going to be good advertising, one imagines

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

tbf it's pretty much the job of the ukrainian government to never be satisfied with the military hardware they get. if we're serious about needing them to win the war, they should also get it.

i can very much sympathise with the germans not wanting to disarm while the yanks are making all the money off this, though. three-digit losses of hundreds of leopard 2s is not going to be good advertising, one imagines

otoh, "the abrams is so loving fuel hungry and complex that the ukrainians couldn't handle it even if their country literally depended on it" is pretty bad advertising for the abrams without even having to lose one

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Germans lol

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Just lol if the eventual Ukrainian defeat gets hanged on Germany.

Sending tanks into eastern Europe - Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Danann posted:

that is a loving nightmare

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

should have blown up more pipelines

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The traditional thing to do would be to partition Poland again.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Endman posted:

The German government seems to be unusually sensible here tbh

yeah i really thought they'd buckle like they have been over everything else

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't someone here argue that the Tornado fighters are outmoded by now which is why it's cool and good and correct that they're being replaced by F-35s

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/Navsteva/status/1616457613100695555

it wasn't even a month ago that people apparently believe in the oryx numbers

this looks like an art installation of fake fish encased in acrylic to raise ecological awareness

i mean, doing it for real makes the whole thing so much more poignant, but is this wise?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chamale posted:

Yeah, the US is something similar.

The extreme level of alcoholism in Russia was the result of a generation of young people losing hope after the fall of the Soviet Union. A Russian born in 1980 was more likely to die of alcohol abuse than to graduate college. Ukraine had similar problems, but an even worse economic situation, because so much of their industry was vertically integrated with Russia, and they lost a lot of power generating capacity at Chernobyl.

10 drinks a day is a lot ??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

alcoholism existed before and independent of communism lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

10 alcoholic drinks per day is a lot yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

Just strip the bundeswehr of everything they have right down to the uniforms. Leave the German soldiers shivering in their underwear and send everything material over to Ukraine.