Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I heard somewhere that Tochett needs to give 4 weeks notice or such and that's why they won't fire Bruce until then

the Canucks are the most embarrassingly run franchise in the nhl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

AsInHowe posted:

I mean, it's mostly positioned as a must-read to DNC insider people. I'd assume that it's more that they can fire groups of people to make business reporters praise the company for doing such a great job of cost cutting.

I think you are confusing Vox.com (the politics/news/explainer site) with Vox Media https://corp.voxmedia.com/ the conglomerate that owns SB Nation, Recode, Polygon, and tons of other stuff. SBNation is a much bigger part of their business than Vox.com is.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I heard somewhere that Tochett needs to give 4 weeks notice or such and that's why they won't fire Bruce until then

Tochett goes to Vancouver, Bruce replaces him on TNT.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Tochett goes to Vancouver, Bruce replaces him on TNT.

This trade should probably include some future considerations or a 4th/5th rounder going to Vancouver from TNT. Bruce would be a good improvement and the value needs to be balanced here.

E: maybe they have a defensive coach that can be part of the deal to be assigned to Abbotsford.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I still don't know why they couldn't just fire Bruce and then name an interim for a few weeks. Isn't that what Mike Yeo has as brought in specifically to do?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Because an interim coach would get a raise.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DancingMachine posted:

I think you are confusing Vox.com (the politics/news/explainer site) with Vox Media https://corp.voxmedia.com/ the conglomerate that owns SB Nation, Recode, Polygon, and tons of other stuff. SBNation is a much bigger part of their business than Vox.com is.

What I'm saying is that the leadership of Vox Media primarily cares about Vox.com and does no care so much about those other properties, to their detriment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1616520533184495618?t=LriVObNCZI9UKxK7qRg9gg&s=19

It's just delightful that the Canucks consistently kill the spark of joy in people.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You are almost certainly correct and I hate that so much.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Eugene Melnyk's ghost must be fuming he never thought of doing this.

Aye Doc posted:

the Canucks are the most embarrassingly run franchise in the nhl

A bold statement when Chicago, Philly, and Edmonton exist.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Every canadian franchise is always run at some level of embarrassment.

chicago should be wiped off the face of the earth and all their stanley cup wins should be expunged

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The entire league is an embarrassment depending on what issue is bugging one at the moment.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1616520533184495618?t=LriVObNCZI9UKxK7qRg9gg&s=19

It's just delightful that the Canucks consistently kill the spark of joy in people.

You are almost certainly correct and I hate that so much.

drat. I've always liked Bruce even when he was with the Caps. I hope he gets a cup some day as a coach.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

In hockey players are dumb motherfuckers news:

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1616527291525529600

The Oilers play 7 defencemen.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ThinkTank posted:

aww I feel really bad for Boudreau.. his teams in Minnesota were always as tough as it got when it came to effort level and attention to details in their game. I still think he is an excellent coach and I hope he gets another shot somewhere if he wants it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Bruce is 68 years old so while I think he'd still be a good coach I feel like he's probably only got one more shot before he decides to retire.

Toronto would be a fun stop for him if when the Leafs can Sheldon Keefe after they lose in the first round again.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/Chris_Krenn/sta...s1_c10&ref_url=

Getting riggity riggity rex’ed

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
excited for the Canucks to trade Horvat and inexplicably name JT Miller the next captain

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They're gonna name OEL the captain, he's experienced leading a terrible team!!!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs coulda brought Boudreau in as an assistant-in-waiting a while back but chose not to, it’s a shame.

I am about to do something that I rarely ever do though, which is give Keefe credit: the Leafs have done a lot of positive things tactically this year that fans (mostly me, some others) have been clamouring for a while for and it’s been going pretty well.

They’re more aggressive at the offensive blueline on D to force turnovers, the offence is running more behind the net play to force goalies and defenders to turn, they’re attempting more royal road passes and one-timers. Matthews and Marner being split up gives the team more depth and makes Tavares’ line not a disaster in their own end, the fourth line when healthy is no longer an embarrassment. Matthews’ production falling cause of whatever’s bugging him and a bit of a goaltending rollercoaster aside, a lot of old frustrations with the team have been smoothed out.

To bitch about Keefe just a little though, most of those changes are addressing problems in his systems and deployments that have been obvious for literal years, and a lot of time has been wasted on him figuring out that the best shot in hockey is not setting up, circling up high and loading a wrist shot for 2 seconds before firing it into a bunch of defenders.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

excited for the Canucks to trade Horvat and inexplicably name JT Miller the next captain

Inexplicable? Someone clearly doesn’t understand the value of pugnacity and having multiple tantrums on and off the ice.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I still don't know why they couldn't just fire Bruce and then name an interim for a few weeks. Isn't that what Mike Yeo has as brought in specifically to do?

Because it would probably reveal that Mike Yeo is half the reason they've tanked so much compared to last year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you only have 3 good forwards someone has to be 4th.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aphrodite posted:

When you only have 3 good forwards someone has to be 4th.

True. Also Hagel would be third on the bruins and second in goals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah they have more people who can score there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It feels like only yesterday the bolts were popping out new 20 goal scorers from nowhere but perhaps the last of the Yzerman well has dried up

good god did that man put together an incredible scouting staff

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

I mean if tanking is the goal.

On the Horvat contract I know the answer is because NHL GM’s are dumb, but surely at some point seasons like Horvat’s have little effect on his contract. Everyone knows his output over the next 4 years will more or less an average of his past few seasons. Yes there’s the outlier where something else in the game changes go make up for the inflated shooting percentage, but there’s far more outliers where the player falls off a cliff.

Yet someone is going to offer him 2 million more than they should, and at the time more or less know they are loving up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It feels like only yesterday the bolts were popping out new 20 goal scorers from nowhere but perhaps the last of the Yzerman well has dried up

good god did that man put together an incredible scouting staff

They're still doing that. Last season had Colton.

It may be drying up now though. Their picks since 2018 have a combined 45 NHL games and 6 goals.

Going back to 2017 adds considerably more games (198 more) but 16 goals. 2016 was when they drafted Colton.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

so just fire bruce and have an assistant interim and then hire tochett. its not like you're all that worried about losing games.
once it got out that they were hiring tochett its just cruel to keep bruce in the job

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Player scores more when played more with more talented line mates. News at 11.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They're still doing that. Last season had Colton.

It may be drying up now though. Their picks since 2018 have a combined 45 NHL games and 6 goals.

Going back to 2017 adds considerably more games (198 more) but 16 goals. 2016 was when they drafted Colton.

They took a guy in his 4th year of eligibility in the 3rd round out of Kingston last year and unsurprisingly he stinks now. I think they're going to experience something of a decline in out of the box all-stars.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 21, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hey now. Kingston has given the NHL great scoring talent with long careers.

I mean sure they were all born before 1960 but still.

e: I guess one shouldnt throw stones in glass houses etc since Brent Burns is the most successful NHL player from my city followed by Shayne bloody Corson.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 21, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Hey now. Kingston has given the NHL great scoring talent with long careers.

I mean sure they were all born before 1960 but still.

e: I guess one shouldnt throw stones in glass houses etc since Brent Burns is the most successful NHL player from my city followed by Shayne bloody Corson.

Not everyone can live in a big city with all the development that goes with it. Those are pretty small cities for the sort of talent development that comes out of them even if there's only a few that actually make it big. Only a small number of players ever make it big anyway.

I think the bigger problem was they drafted someone in their 4th year of eligibility higher than the last round and it wasn't a goalie.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

drat. I've always liked Bruce even when he was with the Caps. I hope he gets a cup some day as a coach.

He's 68, about to be fired by the Canucks, and not at all respected by the hockey establishment. His coaching career is almost certainly over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's 68, about to be fired by the Canucks, and not at all respected by the hockey establishment. His coaching career is almost certainly over.

This is the NHL we're talking about here. If he wants to keep working he'll get a job at some point. The NHL is terrified of bringing in anyone new to coach

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

This is the NHL we're talking about here. If he wants to keep working he'll get a job at some point. The NHL is terrified of bringing in anyone new to coach

And to Bruce's credit, he is demonstrably better than a a fair number of coaches in the league even at his age

Not a coach in this league would get the canucks a winning record

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

He has more street cred than Rick “one season in the playoffs” Tochett. At no point has anyone said that they were concerned about meeting his team to play. The only season they “made it” was the Covid year when they added the extra spots that probably shouldn’t have been there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jhet posted:

He has more street cred than Rick “one season in the playoffs” Tochett.

Not among NHL owners and GMs, apparently

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
https://twitter.com/thomasdouglas30/status/1616640842760097792?s=46&t=YA0GOSozuQuT6O51FTX0iQ

The Canucks are an absolute embarrassment. Guy brings in a sign in support of the current coach who you’re hanging out to dry and you confiscate it?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I hope the Caps bring him back for one of Ovechkin's last seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
they took away a sign I brought once that said Todd Bertuzzi Killed My Mom