Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RareAcumen posted:

Every page 4-7 people say how the story and dialogue is causing them physical pain but screenshots of anything are rarer than a Res level up in Shadows of Valentina. So I simply must ask the audience chants in unison: How, Bad Is It!?

Are we talking RWBY or Simpsons for the last 5 years? Or 8 years. Or 16 years. Or 19 years
Or the Walking Dead after season 5?

it is, as commonly said, a saturday morning cartoon. it's fine. because it's anime adjacent people like to be hyperbolic about it, because anime is bad and oh ho ho I would never like anime don't be absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Also, I bought the DLC and I’m at Chapter 6 and I thought I should get the emblem band for the 3H trio but I’ve not gotten anything. Anyone have any clue how to get it? I know there should be a cutscene at lookout ridge but no dice. All the other DLc parts are there like the items.

Has anyone figured this out? I'm having the same issue.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You know out of all the possible maps from PoR/RD to throwback to, I'm not even mad that they did the bridge. This is a phenomenal commitment to trolling Tellius fans. :allears:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I got a notification in-game when entering the somniel that there was an event on lookout ridge which gave me the 3H ring, not sure what other triggers there are if any. I'm only up to chapter 7 or 8 so it can't be that far in story.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's a very silly story written competently, and sometimes translated a bit awkwardly.

Honestly, I was expecting more from Alfred after hearing all the talk about his muscle obsession. So far he hasn't really mentioned muscles at all?

I wonder if maybe the issue is that they translated his interests as being about muscle, which to an American ear sounds like he's into pumping iron, but in practice he seems to be a fitness boy who loves cardio and bodyweight exercises.

His retainers, on the other hand, are both clearly all about the beef.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

Has anyone figured this out? I'm having the same issue.

The Edelgard emblem only showed up for me after finishing Chapter 6, at which point I got a Somniel notification and just had to go to lookout ridge to get it. I dunno if there's some secret requirement to unlocking it, but I think the text just lies to you and you actually get it at the start of chapter 7.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It only showed up for me after finishing Chapter 6, at which point I got a Somniel notification and just had to go to lookout ridge to get it.

Ah okay, I'll just keep going then. Pages online said it should show up after chapter 4 but that's probably wrong.

Thanks!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Seconding, I just finished chapter 6 and I picked up the bracelet.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
as far as anime comparisons go this is just misfit of demon academy: it's so sincere that it loops back around into serving as parody without coming off as mean-spirited or cruel to what inspired it, and also everyone is right to love the main character, because they are cool,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still can't get over how sincere Alear's "oh no I don't like these one bit" reaction to seeing the zombies was. I can't not appreciate that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The plot and writing are extremely shallow and forgettable and way worse than 3H. On the flip side the gameplay is fantastic and a huge step up so who cares

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m really liking the map design so far. Chapter 4 splitting the party and having Louis hold the line off to the side with Chloe picking off the mages is a lot of fun and I hope it keeps up this level of quality.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ungulateman posted:

as far as anime comparisons go this is just misfit of demon academy: it's so sincere that it loops back around into serving as parody without coming off as mean-spirited or cruel to what inspired it, and also everyone is right to love the main character, because they are cool,

Yeah Alear is surprisingly pretty likeable so far. It's kind of the inverse of the usual player worship situation where people fall head over heels for someone for no apparent reason, Alear is worshipped for a very clear reason (they're dragon Jesus) but they themselves clearly don't think they deserve the worship and are kinda uncomfortable with it, so it creates interesting little character moments. There's also something childlike about the way they react to the things happening around them that makes them come across as, yeah, sincere. I like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the actual execution of the writing in the main story is much better than 3h's frankly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't expect to but I'm kind of enjoying the story myself. It's lighthearted and breezy and straightforward, but it's fun enough and also not just actively insulting its audience like Conquest.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Alear’s ok. They’re not very interesting at all but they’re not actively offensive like Corrin even though they’re a similar niche. Better than Byleth but has nothing on the three lords or Robin.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Every page 4-7 people say how the story and dialogue is causing them physical pain but screenshots of anything are rarer than a Res level up in Shadows of Valentina. So I simply must ask the audience chants in unison: How, Bad Is It!?

Are we talking RWBY or Simpsons for the last 5 years? Or 8 years. Or 16 years. Or 19 years
Or the Walking Dead after season 5?

it's fine. it's a very straightforward and goofy story with competent execution that's mostly there as an excuse for the gameplay.
if Three Houses was a very ambitious game with interesting concepts but extremely flawed execution, this is the exact opposite of the spectrum where it's a very paint-by-numbers Fire Emblem game but extremely polished and focused.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"time for a good old-fashioned village pillage!"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is the expansion pass worth it? how are the 3H units

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is the expansion pass worth it? how are the 3H units
the 3h ring is pretty eh. they give an exp bonus but it rotates randomly between them at the start of each turn. they all have combat arts from 3h but they all arent crazy strong. there's no paralogue for them.

the tiki ring turns you into a dragon when you engage, which is cool. she also increases your stat growths when you have her equipped. it also comes with a paralogue, but it's one of the worst FE3 maps.

there will be more rings in later packs. they are soren (FE9), hector (FE7), veronica (heroes), chrom (awakening), camilla (fates)

the last DLC wave will have new classes and new actual characters as well as a new small campaign, like the ashen wolves DLC in 3H.

it seems like decent value if you plan to replay the game a year or so from now, but id just buy it then.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

unless the three houses trio alone is worth 30 bucks to you it's probably a good idea to just wait and see with the expansion pass

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So... how do you open the chests in Chapter 5? I don't see any chest keys. Do I just have to let the enemy thief open them and take the goodies off their corpse?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

So... how do you open the chests in Chapter 5? I don't see any chest keys. Do I just have to let the enemy thief open them and take the goodies off their corpse?

Weirdly enough, you don't need keys. You can just open them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

firene operates on the honor system for its treasure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thieves dont have special chest opening powers and keys dont exist, anyone can walk up to a chest and open it. its a weird choice but ig it streamlines things

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...please tell me Fogado's English voice actor is actually black himself. Because if it's a white person saying all this in this way it would be really really weird, bordering on offensive

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I god loving hate this fates esque RN system. So many 80+% misses.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's the exact same system as fates

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ch.4 whips rear end fire emblem is BACK

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

I god loving hate this fates esque RN system. So many 80+% misses.

Wasn't that just single RN. So the percentages are accurate instead of the bullshit we normally get where 80 is actually 90 and 40 is 30?

Like 80% means 1 in every 5 of them is gonna miss!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hi I'm playing Engage and it's pretty cool although I do think it's hilarious how all these tiny women have rather deep voices

That is all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fates rn (and i think this game's) are this weird half-system. numbers below 50% are 1 RN, numbers above 50% are whatever this is

(Hit rate × 100) + (40 / 3) × Hit rate × sin((0.02(Hit rate) − 1) × 180

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dropped out of 6th grade i cant parse this

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
afaik the effect is that the displayed hit rate is accurate for 50 and below, but for displayed hit rates of >50 the actual hit rate is higher than the displayed one

so for anyone complaining about getting too many misses at high hit rates, it is in fact already rigged in your favour in those cases, apparently

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei posted:

...please tell me Fogado's English voice actor is actually black himself. Because if it's a white person saying all this in this way it would be really really weird, bordering on offensive

Oh man do I have bad news for you

There's a Cars animated show on Disney+

lih posted:

afaik the effect is that the displayed hit rate is accurate for 50 and below, but for displayed hit rates of >50 the actual hit rate is higher than the displayed one

so for anyone complaining about getting too many misses at high hit rates, it is in fact already rigged in your favour in those cases, apparently

I feel like every time someone does math on these combat formulas for any game; Fire Emblem, XCOM, Symphony of War, etc, they're always weighted in the human player's favor.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lih posted:

Tbf there’s still gonna be aggressive confirmation bias for anyone coming off 3H since this setup is still less than the effective ~10% a 60+ accuracy attack got there.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just unlocked trials, and it looks like there's really not much by way of co-op relay trials to randomly take over?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ughhh the Tiki map has SO MANY REINFORCEMENTS

Like, three enemies every three turns ten times. (Maybe up to twelve waves. Past a certain point I figured they were endless and I stopped counting.) Maps don't need that many reinforcements! Don't do it! If you want to do that sort of thing, just make a Survive map instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wanna play but my cat is being a sleepy baby on my recliner and I don't want to undock my Switch.