Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Miguel Prado posted:

Did anybody start Wrath of the Lost? Is it worth picking up?

Just finished it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. If you like your Flesh Tearers as unrepentant, childish assholes, you'll love it. You could have swapped them for the Marines Malevolent without much fuss.

There are no new reveals, nor any in-depth look at the Primaris/Fisrtborn relationship issues. It was kind of a slog.

Do you like everyone feeling the Thirst and the Rage? Buckle up, because it's on every page. Almost literally.

Also, absolutely every Astartes is a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Black Griffon posted:

Just got to Lorgar, Siggie and Rowboat's little planetside meeting at the beginning of The First Heretic, and it's very funny to me that I decided Lee Pace was Lorgar some pages earlier because of the scene in Foundation where he screams a mathematician to death with, I believe, the exact words Lorgar roars at Malcador; "ANSWER ME".

I think they missed a bet with how Lorgar was voiced in that one.

He should sound like a ranting Pentecostal preacher.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I dunno, I kind of like the Urizen being beyond the sort of petty and shrill showmanship of a fire-and-brimstone preacher. There's far more power in the soft and restrained voice imo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OPAONI posted:

I think Nemesis gets the bad rap that it does because it is so obviously pointless. Obviously the Assassin team can't succeed and the anti psyker can't kill the Emperor. From the outset we know it won't matter, as readers. The setpieces are fine and cool. I think the idea of an Assassin team was better executed in Assassinorum: Kingmaker. Honestly if it had just been a 40k novel instead of 30k I think it would have been better received.

I would not be surprised if Nemesis was one of the first 40k novels converted into a 30k novel when GW decided to continue past the first trilogy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

nemesis is terrible because the plot makes no sense, the characters are thinly sketched and the prose is amateurish. this remains true regardless of contrarian takes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

nemesis is terrible because the plot makes no sense, the characters are thinly sketched and the prose is amateurish. this remains true regardless of contrarian takes.

Yeah, it's just not all that well written either.

A few of the characters from Nemesis show up in short stories where they're at least a bit more interesting. Not by much though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

OPAONI posted:

I think Nemesis gets the bad rap that it does because it is so obviously pointless. Obviously the Assassin team can't succeed and the anti psyker can't kill the Emperor. From the outset we know it won't matter, as readers. The setpieces are fine and cool. I think the idea of an Assassin team was better executed in Assassinorum: Kingmaker. Honestly if it had just been a 40k novel instead of 30k I think it would have been better received.

Also I missed this the first time around, and it's not a dig at you (or not only at you), but I'm very opposed to the idea that a story is pointelss because you know the ending. It grinds against something very fundamental about how I understand stories and storytelling. The story is not "will the warmaster and emperor die" because that's a foregone conclusion, saying it's pointless is in and of itself pointless.

I didn't mind the prose either, and I found that some parts were well written in a way I appreciated, but again, it could've been the performance.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's middling schlock at best, but funny Eversor goes brrr I guess.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
Is there any way to get the Ravenor Omnibus or has that ship sailed? I've really enjoyed the Eisenhorn books, but want to read the Ravenor trilogy before reading Magos.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've reached the point in the Mechanicus game where the enemies are getting interesting and the maps are now sprinkled with hazards and obstacles. I can't help but try to assist the poor Skitarii getting fed into this meat-grinder so I am definitely not taking an optimal path to however this game ends. It's not X-COM but I'm enjoying the idea of small groups of techpriests becoming a surprisingly tough nut to crack due to being festooned with weapons and defenses.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rid posted:

Is there any way to get the Ravenor Omnibus or has that ship sailed? I've really enjoyed the Eisenhorn books, but want to read the Ravenor trilogy before reading Magos.

EBook or audiobook is the easiest way.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah ebook is your best bet. Current prices for the paper version are $100+. They'll probably reprint it at some point but who knows.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I really don't think griffon is bullshiting when they say they liked Nemesis. Honestly i steered clear of that book because of the recommendation of the thread so i have no opinion on it aside from parroting what the thread has been saying. That being said i still think that a person can like something that's most agreed to be "bad" but can still be appealing to said person. Like i get that it sort become an almost automatic response because of years of community enforcement, but at a certain point you sort of got to get over yourself since its a harmless book someone enjoys.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dick Trauma posted:

I've reached the point in the Mechanicus game where the enemies are getting interesting and the maps are now sprinkled with hazards and obstacles. I can't help but try to assist the poor Skitarii getting fed into this meat-grinder so I am definitely not taking an optimal path to however this game ends. It's not X-COM but I'm enjoying the idea of small groups of techpriests becoming a surprisingly tough nut to crack due to being festooned with weapons and defenses.

I never used anything but servitors the whole game because my broken RPG brain utterly rebelled at the idea of spending XP on summoning minions. Except last mission of course where I burned all my blackstone on the biggest robots Mars could produce.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I really don't think griffon is bullshiting when they say they liked Nemesis. Honestly i steered clear of that book because of the recommendation of the thread so i have no opinion on it aside from parroting what the thread has been saying. That being said i still think that a person can like something that's most agreed to be "bad" but can still be appealing to said person. Like i get that it sort become an almost automatic response because of years of community enforcement, but at a certain point you sort of got to get over yourself since its a harmless book someone enjoys.

I think Griffon hasn't finished the book yet.

For me Nemesis was fun for roughly the first half, where it was indeed a wacky 40k Dirty Dozen that focused on cool action moments so you didn't really care about the overarching plot as long as the assassins on both sides kept doing badass things and chasing the MacGuffin.

But after a certain point in the book, it suddenly decides to start taking itself seriously, as well as connecting itself to the broader 30k story, and it doesn't work. It really, really doesn't work. Imagine watching the Expendables, but halfway through several of the characters have a sudden personal meltdown over their family or their faith or their jobs or whatever and the film switches to somber music and dramatic close-ups 70% of the time, while still trying to be an action movie in the remaining 30%.

That's what reading the latter half of Nemesis felt like, and I think Griffon's opinion will also sour somewhat once he gets there.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
While we're on the subject of Nemesis and assassins and all that, I daresay it is as good a time as any to drop a link to this particular short story again.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

I think Griffon hasn't finished the book yet.

For me Nemesis was fun for roughly the first half, where it was indeed a wacky 40k Dirty Dozen that focused on cool action moments so you didn't really care about the overarching plot as long as the assassins on both sides kept doing badass things and chasing the MacGuffin.

But after a certain point in the book, it suddenly decides to start taking itself seriously, as well as connecting itself to the broader 30k story, and it doesn't work. It really, really doesn't work. Imagine watching the Expendables, but halfway through several of the characters have a sudden personal meltdown over their family or their faith or their jobs or whatever and the film switches to somber music and dramatic close-ups 70% of the time, while still trying to be an action movie in the remaining 30%.

That's what reading the latter half of Nemesis felt like, and I think Griffon's opinion will also sour somewhat once he gets there.

I'm already onto The First Heretic. My first two posts about it was most of the way through, every post since have been after finishing it.

Edit: And yeah, I'm not bullshitting, I'm generally very honest about things I like that might've gotten a bad rep, and I'm being very earnest when I talk about my enjoyment of it. It's not some attempt to be a contrarian for the sake of it, which to me seems like a waste of time unless it's very funny to be like that.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 21, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NihilCredo posted:

I never used anything but servitors the whole game because my broken RPG brain utterly rebelled at the idea of spending XP on summoning minions. Except last mission of course where I burned all my blackstone on the biggest robots Mars could produce.

The summonable units are absurdly good. Absolutely worth taking a couple of the paid ones on most missions, with the caveat that they get significantly better if you have a techpriest deep into the skilltree that buffs summons. They can do stuff like summon a unit anywhere on the map for a single point regardless of regular cost or make every unit with LOS on an enemy shoot that enemy for free.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Whether or not you think something is bad (has qualities that you believe are bad) doesn't necessarily have any intrinsic relation to whether or not you enjoy it. Understanding that is actually a pretty big step towards understanding what you like and why.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

S.J. posted:

Whether or not you think something is bad (has qualities that you believe are bad) doesn't necessarily have any intrinsic relation to whether or not you enjoy it. Understanding that is actually a pretty big step towards understanding what you like and why.

That's a lesson like 90% of goons in The Finer Arts subforums could stand to learn tbh

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I pre ordered the first Abnett siege of terra hardcover, just to get my hands on it as early as possible. When does the ebook typically release after that? Because the shipping will take a week or 2 and I might as well just cancel and get that one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MMAgCh posted:

While we're on the subject of Nemesis and assassins and all that, I daresay it is as good a time as any to drop a link to this particular short story again.

Yeah, that slaps. One of the best things ever written about the Officio Assasinorum.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shroud posted:

Just finished it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. If you like your Flesh Tearers as unrepentant, childish assholes, you'll love it. You could have swapped them for the Marines Malevolent without much fuss.

There are no new reveals, nor any in-depth look at the Primaris/Fisrtborn relationship issues. It was kind of a slog.

Do you like everyone feeling the Thirst and the Rage? Buckle up, because it's on every page. Almost literally.

Also, absolutely every Astartes is a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Just finished this last night and 100% agree.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

MMAgCh posted:

Wow, that was amazing!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MMAgCh posted:

This was fucken sick! my favorite clade and a really fun story about em too!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/22/sunday-preview-beasts-and-gitz-tear-the-mortal-realms-in-twain

Only (english) book pre-order for next weekend is Archmage & Other Stories, which is apparently also a tie in release with Warhammer store anniversaries.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Fun thing about Abnett's love for the expletive "fugg" is that it just sounds like "gently caress" with an accent in an audiobook and it's kind of nice when they get to say gently caress in a universe that violent.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They started saying gently caress in some books over the last few years. The neonoir Warhammer Crime series especially.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They drop the F-Bomb a bunch in the Interrogator animated series on WH+ and I honestly didn't expect it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah nice, that's good. I get why it might take some people out of it (and I've never minded made up expletives the way some people do), but it also feels weird to avoid it when you're already using all other sorts of contemporary language in a far future setting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will stick with the old reliables: feldercarb and shazbot.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/22/sunday-preview-beasts-and-gitz-tear-the-mortal-realms-in-twain

Only (english) book pre-order for next weekend is Archmage & Other Stories, which is apparently also a tie in release with Warhammer store anniversaries.

This isn't going on pre-order. It's this years store anniversary release. You can only get it from a local store on their anniversary. They've been doing this for 3-4 years now with these special releases of anthologies for store anniversaries, I have all but the first one. Most stores only get 1-3 copies so the best thing you can do is call your store and ask them when their anniversary is then call them again about 2-3 weeks before and ask for a copy to be held for you, that is how I got mine.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Black Griffon posted:

Ah nice, that's good. I get why it might take some people out of it (and I've never minded made up expletives the way some people do), but it also feels weird to avoid it when you're already using all other sorts of contemporary language in a far future setting.

Angron: Kharn, kill everyone in this city and then kill everyone on this world.

Boned human: Ah, gently caress.

12th Legion as a whole: *gasp*

Angron: Woah, watch the language.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Fulgrim as the full realization of his bargain sends him reeling to the distant corners of his mind, an alien presence encroaching like vines on his vision, his voice, his sight and his agency buried under the morass of evil: fudge!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

This isn't going on pre-order. It's this years store anniversary release. You can only get it from a local store on their anniversary. They've been doing this for 3-4 years now with these special releases of anthologies for store anniversaries, I have all but the first one. Most stores only get 1-3 copies so the best thing you can do is call your store and ask them when their anniversary is then call them again about 2-3 weeks before and ask for a copy to be held for you, that is how I got mine.

Ah yeah, weird to see it listed under next weeks pre-orders then. Kinda confused messaging in that case.

Also finally started reading the latest Sabbat Crusade anthology, and drat if Farrer's story is one of the best ones so far.
Even if the others so fare have been pretty good, even McNeil's entry was good and with a solidly executed twist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DaysBefore posted:

They started saying gently caress in some books over the last few years. The neonoir Warhammer Crime series especially.

yeah. i have noticed it too. its not super over used and mostly used by characters who would.

Black Griffon posted:

i dont mind made up expletives if they work well or are used correctly. like the guardians of the galaxy game(very good, its mostly on sale) did that very believble ways that worked.

Black Griffon posted:

Fulgrim as the full realization of his bargain sends him reeling to the distant corners of his mind, an alien presence encroaching like vines on his vision, his voice, his sight and his agency buried under the morass of evil: fudge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDo8WmS_es

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yeah, weird to see it listed under next weeks pre-orders then. Kinda confused messaging in that case.

Also finally started reading the latest Sabbat Crusade anthology, and drat if Farrer's story is one of the best ones so far.
Even if the others so fare have been pretty good, even McNeil's entry was good and with a solidly executed twist.

Yep, his two Urdesh books set in the Sabbat Worlds campaign are a good read and worth getting if you liked his short story.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Farrer is good

I finished Awakenings, and it was also good. Sabbathiel is cool and I appreciated that she looks extremely offputting on the cover. No skintight synthleather or ecclesiarchy-blessed huge gazongas at all. I haven't checked out the prequel comics unfortunately, no way am I reading comics on my phone, but I am looking forward to a sequel.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Yep, his two Urdesh books set in the Sabbat Worlds campaign are a good read and worth getting if you liked his short story.

They've been on my to buy list more or less since they got announced. :v:

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/25/black-library-celebration-2023-scintillating-tales-from-the-worlds-of-warhammer/

Here's a reminder that Black Library Celebration kicks off next month. Most of the books mentioned there have already been mentioned so I won't repeat myself.

But there are a couple of new additions though. First up there's going to be a reprint of the first Three Gaunt's Ghost books in hardback via a Print-on-Demand offering.
For those who haven't already gotten them in either anthology, paperback or hardback reprints.

There will also be a 20th Anniversary edition release of Gav Thorpe's Angels of Darkness.

It's yet another Space Marine book(tm).

And then there's the usual free mini-anthology whenever you order from the GW store during the Celebration.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 25, 2023

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Is the new Siege of Terra Garro novella any good? I'll end up picking it up eventually but I want to hear thoughts to decide when, exactly, I will do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OPAONI posted:

Is the new Siege of Terra Garro novella any good? I'll end up picking it up eventually but I want to hear thoughts to decide when, exactly, I will do so.

It wasn't bad. If you have been at all invested in Garro's storyline through the siege it's a good wrap up to that, but it isn't very long at all. His showdown with daddy was done well I thought. Nothing important to the overall story will be missed if you don't read it though. It definitely reads like the last few chapters in a longer book.