Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh hey, I need to check the Lets Play subforum more often!

RE4 is the only Resident Evil I've played. They all looked too clunky (the older ones), too on systems I didn't have at the time (the ones right after 4), too overdramatic (The Village) etc. RE4 was the perfect amount of camp and clunky-yet-somehow-tight gameplay that I've played it multiple times and still love it.

However 4 stands out as a game where literally every weapon is viable and plays a little differently. It allows you to play with literally every gun as even the starters will get ultimate upgrades to bring them in line with the later guns (though, um, why you'd want a longer range shotgun in this game is beyond me). It's great for challenge runs, especially if you understand the ammo drop system: At least on the Steam version it wants you to have at least one stack of handgun ammo since the game expects you to have a handgun. If you have less than a full stack it over-emphasizes handgun ammo, if you have more than a full stack it dramatically de-emphasizes handgun ammo drops and focuses on your other weapons. So if you're doing a challenge run, make sure to keep your lucky stack of 9mm ammo with you and you should have more than enough drops of shotgun/rifle/mine launcher/TMP ammo for the rest of the game.

The only other game that ever hit me like this was Deadspace 2 where, again, I've done multiple runs (at least up to the eye scene, you know the one) with various weapons. Once again it's an action-horror, clunky-yet-tight game where literally every weapon plays differently and is viable.
Except the pre-order rivet gun. The steam version of Deadspace 2 has all the console pre-order weapon and the rivet gun one of the consoles got is only good for two things: accidentally blowing out windows into vacuum and then nailing the emergency close target when you're being sucked out into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Double Garrador is when I learned to use/abuse the capacity upgrade at the merchant. Don't need to conserve magnum ammo if you get free bullets at the next store.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've seen people use the free Rocket Launcher on the double Garrador fight too. IIRC there's a specific spot on the back door where you can aim and take care of both dudes with the splash damage, or at least take out one and wound the other.

Alkydere posted:

However 4 stands out as a game where literally every weapon is viable and plays a little differently. It allows you to play with literally every gun as even the starters will get ultimate upgrades to bring them in line with the later guns (though, um, why you'd want a longer range shotgun in this game is beyond me). It's great for challenge runs, especially if you understand the ammo drop system: At least on the Steam version it wants you to have at least one stack of handgun ammo since the game expects you to have a handgun. If you have less than a full stack it over-emphasizes handgun ammo, if you have more than a full stack it dramatically de-emphasizes handgun ammo drops and focuses on your other weapons. So if you're doing a challenge run, make sure to keep your lucky stack of 9mm ammo with you and you should have more than enough drops of shotgun/rifle/mine launcher/TMP ammo for the rest of the game.

It really is an exceptionally well-balanced game, both in terms of difficulty curve and keeping your options open. Hades is probably the most recent example that I can think of with a similar level of tuning.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

C-Euro posted:

I've seen people use the free Rocket Launcher on the double Garrador fight too. IIRC there's a specific spot on the back door where you can aim and take care of both dudes with the splash damage, or at least take out one and wound the other.

Yep, the weaker one will die pretty easily to splash damage, but you have to hit a pretty specific area behind them to take the tougher one out as well. I've definitely reloaded a few times there on runs where I've decided I just don't want to deal with the fight, but don't take them both out in the one explosion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

C-Euro posted:

It really is an exceptionally well-balanced game, both in terms of difficulty curve and keeping your options open. Hades is probably the most recent example that I can think of with a similar level of tuning.

And 95% of it can be done knife only! You only need to basically use an RPG for bosses...

And the tower elevator gauntlet. Yes I have actually watched someone do that part knife only. It was painful and mere mortals shouldn't attempt it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Cutscene Friendly)

No cutscenes, so just the one version of exploring the mines. These next few parts get so silly that I become a sobbing mess.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The quote if you buy the Broken Butterfly is possibly a Metal Gear Solid reference.

quote:

""I see you have an eye for things. Gun's not just about shootin. It's about reloadin. You'll know what I'm talkin about."

The gun is a hybrid of a top-break Smith & Wesson Schofield revolver and the Single Action Army. The Single Action Army is the gun of Revolver Ocelot, who waxes philosophically on the joys of reloading during your first boss fight with him.

The Dirty Harry reference mentioned is also there - the inventory description is "Sure to make anybody's day", a clear reference to the "Do you feel lucky?" speech.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can confirm that, in the GC version of the game, you can re-enter the double Gigante room if you used the lava trap and get the money drop for the immolated Gigante.

Also I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that you can use a rocket launcher to destroy the dynamite boulder in the mine room, if you feel like bypassing that puzzle for whatever reason.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The knife in the remake has been hinted to have durability, so QTEs like blocking the chainsaw attack with the knife will cost durability.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGEYWB54sio&t=32s

That second Gigante death that was mentioned but not shown is one of my favorite deaths in the game, right alongside the secret one with the lake monster. It's just easy enough to miss, and happen after you think the monster is dead, I played the game for years without getting it and was all :tviv: the first time I saw it happen out of seemingly nowhere.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Well I been shootin in the bug mine goin down down

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The giant statue QTE and the running animation remind me so much of those SEGA Die Hard Arcade and spin-off games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The statue chase might just be peak stupid for the entire franchise, and I will be extremely upset if it's not in the remake.

e: oh, :rip: Leon :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That "This is no ritual, it's terrorism!" exchange aged horribly, and then wrapped around into aging beautifully :v:

Also I won't point out the treasure that you missed in the underground "maze", but I will mention that there's a random money pile hidden in one of the corners of the room with the Sacrifice emblem. There's no visual cue, it's just a bunch of small money pickups, and I have no idea why it's there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

C-Euro posted:

That "This is no ritual, it's terrorism!" exchange aged horribly, and then wrapped around into aging beautifully :v:

Being written post 9/11 and the word terrorism was basically the word of the day will do that.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I'm pretty sure that popping heads doesn't actually affect if they have a parasite or not. If they're going to turn into a parasite it'll explode their head just fine no matter how you kill them. And fun fact, the extra headshot chance on the pistol upgrade also applies to the knife while you have it equipped.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

I'm pretty sure that popping heads doesn't actually affect if they have a parasite or not. If they're going to turn into a parasite it'll explode their head just fine no matter how you kill them. And fun fact, the extra headshot chance on the pistol upgrade also applies to the knife while you have it equipped.

Apparently it also works on melee kick attacks too.
BIG Spoilers below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZy4E9B19c

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I hope they keep in that ridiculous statue in the remake.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seeing Travis get 7 headshots that blow everyone's heads up in a row at the beginning I can see why people were thrown off with the 2 remake's zombies taking 10 bullets at the most unlucky roll of the dice now.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

Plagas placement (aside from enemies scripted to always be Plagas) are randomized every time you load in a new room, with the probability affected by what the dynamic difficulty slider is set to.

Whether or not you aim for the head has no effect. It just looks that way because of the animations.

The only way to guarantee an enemy does not show their Plagas is to use an explosive, and even I don’t remember if that works on scripted Plagas enemies.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 15, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If I'm remembering right, death via supplex will also override an enemy that would have had a parasite

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A, B, S... A, Always. B, Be. S, Suplexing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Ew, grody

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
The whole ammo thing is why I usually prefer to burn 30k on a rocket launcher for this guy. That lift section is mean.

Also, the best way to deal with the grodiest of bugs is kill 'em with a shaped-charge warhead.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Salazar is one of two bosses who get completely clowned by the mine thrower (the second being Saddler), even on Professional. One dart in the eye is usually enough to break his shield open and they do a decent amount of damage is well.

Still, this is what I usually save the rocket launcher for because his attacks are a lot less predictable than Verdugo's and he has that instakill move.

Anyhow, the castle was the best part, it's (almost) all downhill from here.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 20, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

*Leon enters a classroom of 4th graders where the words "Career Day" are written on the blackboard*

He goes to the board, erases what's there, and writes the following:

W.O.R.M.

Wait for an
Opportunity to
Reload the
Magnum

*Leon underlines each line, puts down the chalk, gestures to the list a few times, then exits the classroom, wordlessly.*

Salazar looks like Frieza from DBZ during this boss fight, with the red eyes, pale skin, bald head and short stature.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've seen someone do challenge runs on RE4 including pistol only and knife only.

That elevator was absolute bullshit on both, but somehow he did it. It involved a LOT of Leon doing his ACTION KICKS and ACTION SUPLEX to knock the unending spawns off of the elevator, with of course the knife-only run also involving dodging the two crossbow jerks forever.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
So, funny thing, I never new Salazar had supplies in his room. I have never once, in any play through, fought him legitimately. whenever I played the very first weapon I spent any money to acquire was the SA rifle, I just stuck with the Punisher and the first shotgun for the whole village area. Because of my... frugality, I had a bit more money to throw around, so I would use the free rocket you find to kill those 2 blind claw dudes in the fancy room. (because I suck at dodging) After that I'd buy buy a second one, SPECIFICALLY for Salazar, Because I just wanted to show him absolutely ZERO respect. Just, bam, rocket to his creepy tumor face.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Still, this is what I usually save the rocket launcher for because his attacks are a lot less predictable than Verdugo's and he has that instakill move.

Yeah, I mentioned it earlier but this is my prime use for a rocket launcher. I like the idea of this fight but I think it's annoying to do in practice, so I'd rather just skip it. And it's fun that there's a specific cutscene allowing for that choice.

And I agree with the general preview assessment going on from here. There's a bunch of things I really like, but I also think it's the point where they started to run out of ideas for challenging you. It's not enough to spoil the game at all, but I definitely have more mixed enjoyment compared to everything so far.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I think it's easy to overstate how much the last area is a step down from the rest of the game. Yeah, it's weaker than previous areas, but It's still pretty fun, and it has some really great moments.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Struggling to think of any part of this game that's easier when you have less instead of more ammo

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Speedrun strats for the section covered in the game is a bit interesting. Aside from run past everything, on the lift section where the red enemies jump onto your platform, if center yourself on the lift and look down at 45 degree angle, every shotgun shot will likely bounce all of the enemies off the platform. And then for the boss, a simple rocket launcher to the weak point is enough to complete the fight.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I never knew Salazar had a boss fight, I always just brought in the rocket launcher and blew him apart.

I'm half kidding, I've faced him the non rocket launcher way a few times but I prefer to save ammo and just take the money hit.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Sum Gai posted:

I think it's easy to overstate how much the last area is a step down from the rest of the game. Yeah, it's weaker than previous areas, but It's still pretty fun, and it has some really great moments.

There's a type of enemy in the upcoming sections that's one of the creepiest monsters Resident Evil ever produced.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You gotta embrace knifing those guys when they're down, especially on that elevator when multiple enemies were bunched together! The head-munching Plagas can't hit you on the ground IIRC.

I got my rear end kicked by Salazar a lot when I first played the game. I'd typically stay on a far end of the arena, but when I'd hear the cue for his bite attack I'd run towards the middle to try and dodge it. Except the bite can't hit you on the far sides of the arena, so I'd run out of the safe zone and right into the munch zone :doh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think that barrel snake is the only barrel snake. Every other snake is in a box at knife level. Which makes it done absolutely on purpose just in case you made it out of the boss fight with a sliver of health.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for the game to get a little less special.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like killer7, but I definitely cannot recommend it generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That merchant 2/3 of the way into the video makes me laugh now, on one of my runs I was having a terrible time with ammo and basically just tried to run past all the enemies as much as possible. I got to the merchant and breathed a sigh of relief...until I heard all the enemies chasing me again and realized they can just follow you on in to the "safe" room :negative: