Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I thought the second episode was way better than the first. Some good trigun energy. Also agree that it still seems weird for Roberto to exist.

Yeah, agreed on the second episode. And while my memories of the OG Trigun are a little vague (like I've said before, I never got that into it), I think with Roberto, they wanted to put Meryl in the junior role while giving her a foil to bounce off of, which... okay, but wasn't having a junior the point of Milly? Plus, isn't Vash Meryl's natural foil? So far it just seems like Roberto was an answer to an unnecessary problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
well I burned my knuckle when the dough decided to stick to the peel at the worst time transferring it to the stone and I panicked trying to get it but pizza night was a success satisfaction-wise for the kiddos

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kalli posted:

It's really amazing how well that movie captured trying to talk to a liberal with power.

I'm shocked Mika Brzezinski didn't sue. They all but gave the character her name.

Silly Burrito posted:

You ever swing by here and I’ll hook you up with the best boudin balls and king cake in the area (assuming it’s king cake season).

I've been yammering about Cochon nonstop last month but goddamn those boudin balls were amazing.

Braksgirl posted:

I was pretty sad about the Dong Phuong king cake. I wanted it to be so good and it was aight. I still ate it but it wasn't nearly as delicious as I needed it to be.

I'm picking up five of them in early February. I'm trying to manage my expectations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It was flat and the inside was kind of raw like it wasn't baked enough. The taste was just ok. I expected way more.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly I'd be just fine with Rouses king cakes. If I supported treason.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I refuse to step foot in a Rouses.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'd still like to try a filled Dong Phoung king cake just to see how it tastes. Today's was just plain. But my favorite still is Mikey's. Basically a big fried doughnut with fruit filling and colorful icing. The Brennan's one I had today was interesting, bright pink and strawberry cream cheese but not too bad, honestly.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Intruder posted:

well I burned my knuckle when the dough decided to stick to the peel at the worst time transferring it to the stone and I panicked trying to get it but pizza night was a success satisfaction-wise for the kiddos

Every year on one of our guys trips someone’s assigned a meal for each day, and it’s all but written in stone that I’m responsible for pumping out like ten pizzas on Sunday night and this past year I walked away with like five oven rack burns on my hands :v:

Also since I’m currently stuck inside and I’m running out of food I went to order one (1) stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut tonight and the total came out to $38. No thanks. Your whole point is cheap lovely pizza to hit the spot, when it’s nowhere near cheap anymore, it doesn’t. My next homemade pizzas are gonna taste so much better now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I've been using this for the crust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4t3bqb_91E

it's worked pretty well. I pick my own toppings though, I don't really do just cheese

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/SamiScheetz/status/1616230826848489478

all of this is so petty

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

They’re all so disappointed they didn’t get to own humans outright.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

No fresh meat is downright evil :mad:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keeping benefits from families with multiple vehicles is especially cruel

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

GD_American posted:

Honestly I'd be just fine with Rouses king cakes. If I supported treason.

Braksgirl posted:

"Wikipedia posted:

In 2021, Steve Galtier, the former head of Human Resources for Rouses, posted pictures on social media of himself and Donald Rouse Sr., his life partner and former boss, attending the pro-Trump rally in Washington D.C. just before the storming on the US Capitol Building. Although Rouse Sr. claims not to have taken part in the violent insurrection, many Rouses Market customers called for a boycott of their stores.

lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don't know if this counts, but when I worked in a Deli at a grocery store we'd often slice the meat and set it out at a discount so someone would buy it rather than just throw good food away.

Turns out a fair amount of people think that's unfair and some people getting an advantage they don't deserve or something.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

I've been using this for the crust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4t3bqb_91E

it's worked pretty well. I pick my own toppings though, I don't really do just cheese

I find this super handy https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough-calculator/ When I need to make pizza for more than me.

Also I am currently sad posting because I went out and did about 50 things today, got home and whipper snipped and mowed my yard and my legs are killing me from squats so I thought I'll have soak in some epsom salt with a bag of ice to get the water as cold as possible and left my beer on the counter. I'm definitely not posting to avoid the shame of my tiny cold water penis and gut out how much sitting in really cold water sucks.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shinji2015 posted:

Keeping benefits from families with multiple vehicles is especially cruel

Cartoonish villains...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I find this super handy https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough-calculator/ When I need to make pizza for more than me.

Also I am currently sad posting because I went out and did about 50 things today, got home and whipper snipped and mowed my yard and my legs are killing me from squats so I thought I'll have soak in some epsom salt with a bag of ice to get the water as cold as possible and left my beer on the counter. I'm definitely not posting to avoid the shame of my tiny cold water penis and gut out how much sitting in really cold water sucks.

I find that using a poolish gives the dough a lot of extra elasticity and a great chew, would the calculator just include the ingredients for that in the final measurements?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I'm curious as to how the preferred method of killing them is supposed to be kinder. It sounds a lot like 'I'll put you in a plastic bag and suffocate you, but if that doesn't work I'll freeze you to death.'

Also looks like you'd need a lot of freezer space.

I have no idea tbh. Apparently they just go to sleep but I'm wondering how when they're sealed in a bag and freezing and been chucked in a weird dark hole. I think a spike through the dome would be waaaaaaay better way to go.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I imagine the GOP sent this video around and thoroughly enjoyed feeling good about themselves

https://www.reddit.com/r/TikTokCrin...web2x&context=3

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

I find that using a poolish gives the dough a lot of extra elasticity and a great chew, would the calculator just include the ingredients for that in the final measurements?

Whenever I use poolish I use a food processor (mainly because I don't have a stand mixer). When I do that I add the dry ingredients, give them a pulse to combine and then I add the poolish and begin to pour water through the spout, when I see it pick up all the flour and lift everything off I give it a dash more to get it a little looser and then hand knead the poo poo out of it on a floured surface until its smooth and supple.

I know baking is more science than art, but because poolish is high hydration and because sometimes you end up with a more humid day etc I find that prepping my dough as normal in terms of flour and water and eyeballing the adjustment til the dough looks and feels right is just easier. I've never had a failure to rise or a pizza that had some kind of catastrophic failure from this method.

Only thing is I have been making pizza at home for well over a year and tried so many different recipes and methods I can kind of just know when I'm on the right track.

Also I have a recipe for a pizza that gets an incredible rise from 1.5 hours proofing using beer and 10g of yeast cooked in a skillet in a normal oven that comes out with a thick bready crust like detroit style pizza that's a huge favourite of my friends when we're drinkin and they want a snack.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The GOP gets to performatively pass bills in the house that they know won't survive in the senate for the next two years. Get ready because taking fresh meat and refried beans from the mouths of poor people is, if you'll excuse the choice of expression, small potatoes. Did y'all forget the 70 times they voted as a bloc to repeal health care for the poor?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If there was anybody remotely smart in the GOP they'd be framing the restrictions as "a way to battle the obesity epidemic that the Michelle Obama spearheaded during her husband's administration" and "reducing meat consumption to battle the issue that mass cattle farming contributes to global warming."

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

No fresh meat is downright evil :mad:

It's going to be enormously destructive to butcher shops too. Practically any butcher shop worth a poo poo has food packs of multiple different cuts of meat they offer at the different EBT benefit levels.

Braksgirl posted:

GD_American fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 21, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

If there was anybody remotely smart in the GOP "reducing meat consumption to battle the issue that mass cattle farming contributes to global warming."

I mean, this is the least likely even ironic and caustically cynical spin I've ever seen imagined from that party being put to use.

So...in other words yeah maybe someone will say it. Although I'd imagine it'd be more along the lines of 'cows are for working people, we need to stop giving them to the poor.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know the origin of the beef here but this is good random angry stuff

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1616654355071135744

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My housemate has never seen Face/Off.

We're rectifying that.

Bonus scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klCemtBU1cg
Danny Masterson plays Dominique Swain's creepy boyfriend. The signs were there all along… :tinfoil:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know the origin of the beef here but this is good random angry stuff

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1616654355071135744

Get some

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Went and going the video to post, mostly because of how amazing Sharpe's sweater is:
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1616653407015641089

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought it was a patchwork denim jacket at first.

E: oh great, seeing news that cops in Memphis beat a man to death at a traffic stop. No video yet.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 21, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Apparently 5 cops in Memphis literally beat a man to death and they’ve already been fired. You know it’s bad when no video has been released yet and the cops got fired instead of put on administrative leave.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigations and the DOJ are also involved

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 21, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shannon Sharpe is well known in Atlanta for going to FlyWheel (high end luxury spin classes) and putting up legendary numbers.

Dude goes to multiple a day just so he has the high score in more than one location. He can just murder a spin class.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I respect Shannon Sharpe for being a contrarian poo poo take artist who, unlike the coward Skip Bayless, will deliver those takes on the road, outside the studio, and most importantly, without running from the athlete who is offended by them

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Apparently 5 cops in Memphis literally beat a man to death and they’ve already been fired. You know it’s bad when no video has been released yet and the cops got fired instead of put on administrative leave.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigations and the DOJ are also involved

:stare:

Uhhh, it must be *really* bad. Like worse than Michael Slager.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/tori4thepeople/status/1616385175444721665?s=46&t=7TpCsd1l461_oRx66VDM3g

Something seems different about out this…
https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1616602814297542656?s=46&t=7TpCsd1l461_oRx66VDM3g

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Funny how that works

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Funny how that works

Gonna be real funny* to see who suddenly cares about police violence.

*it won't be funny at all

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Funny how that works

meanwhile in Atlanta, a group of cops murdered someone protesting the construction of their bajillion acre cop academy and somehow none of their cameras were working

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shinji2015 posted:

Gonna be real funny* to see who suddenly cares about police violence.

*it won't be funny at all

The conservative brain is nothing but a tangled web of contradictions, carefully spinning in such a way that—at any moment—their opinion is validated and reinforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Just checked my email to see that Amazon is ending AmazonSmile because "after almost a decade, the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped. With so many eligible organizations—more than 1 million globally—our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin."

Just lol at how ghoulish capitalism is.

fun update on this

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/10ft5iv/comment/j4znb8y/ posted:

So basically, when a customer wants to buy a product, they usually go straight to Amazon.com and enter what they’re looking for. But there’s also a large segment of customers who begin their search on google, and ends up at Amazon. Well guess what. When that type of search to purchase experience happens, Amazon has to pay google. Internally, Amazon thought that if they could force users to go straight to Amazon, offer a small but obviously less amount of money to charity from each customer than would have been paid to google, it would help kill customers going to google, save Amazon more money than paying google, and be good overall for the brand value of Amazon.

That’s why for the program to work, the user has to start shopping at smile.amazon.com. Until recently, the option to use amazon smile wasn't even available in the app, and even then the user still had to 'renew' being a part of Smile multiple times a year. There is no way for a customer to go through the traditional shopping experience, and then during checkout decide they want to give a portion of their purchase to charity, because giving to charity isn't the point of the overall program. Amazon Smile was developed by the Traffic Optimization team, whose entire purpose is increasing efficiency and lowering costs of getting customers to Amazon. A team of Amazon employees whose sole purpose is doing good in the world doesn't exist, despite employees repeatedly asking for such a team to be built in pretty much every single all-hands meeting.

The charitable contribution side was just a necessary side effect of trying to change user behavior to avoid giving google a cut of revenue. I always did think it was weird you couldn't just.... tick a box at checkout if you forgot to start at the smile url.