Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

that is not what they said...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Augus posted:

engage owns, my army of braindead morons cannot be stopped

I know that every avatar FE character comes off as stupid, but this guy comes off as exceptionally stupid. Granted, it's hard to look dignified with toothpaste hair. But the script isn't doing him any favors.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man they tossing in nasty reinforcements and aggressive enemies as early as chapter 4 hell yes

I'm not very good at these games and had to restart three times due to overexposing a weak unit to 1-2 mobs. Eventually I figured I had to trust that one unit was tanky enough to survive on its own whole the others retreated and regrouped in time for the surprise reinforcements (which are flying and can cross the map in two turns)

I also had to abuse the engage mechanics on two units to help them act aggressive and limit my risk of losing them and this is barely chapter 4

Getting fire emblem 6 normal dfficulty vibes on hard which kind of owns. I'm sure it'll get easier as I get access to more tools but flying reinforcements in the first real outdoor map? Very loving neat

Oh also this might be obvious but being on the losing side of the weapon triangle or weakness exploit isn't just punishing, it's downright fatal on hard. One of my magic units did an engage n still got taken out in 2 hits lol

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Morpheus posted:

I remember just getting this PS2 CD from Atlus with PERSONA 3 sharpied onto it

Is this a joke or you got like an early review copy or something?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So, there's no weird marriage/inheritance stuff in Engage? That's a huge plus.
Writing is dumb as bricks (smartest games I played where Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn), I think I'd put 6 and 7 as my average, "story is fine" grade, while feeling that Sacred Stones was mediocre, story-wise. This may not be a problem. I hated the character writing in Awakenings, feeling that every character was a walking cliché with zero depth.

Take Sain in 7, awful womanizer and what not, and while it was his main feature it wasn't his only one. The womanizer character in Awakenings only had that going for him at all cylinders all the time.

So yeah, just how bad is the writing?

Maps seem better, which is good. Strategic combat you guys seem to be talking up, which is also good.

My only last concern, how is the customization? I prefer a game with relatively static classes, at most you get a choice to make on level-up but it's not like anyone can be come anything? I find customization leads a game to being far too unbalanced in game-design.

Still, considering what some of you had said, and your previous favorite FE's, this may be the game to get me back into the series at last.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'm shallow and don't want to play Engage strictly on the absolutely middle-school main character design.

They look dumb as hell and i don't want to get stuck staring at them for 40 hours.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm shallow and don't want to play Engage strictly on the absolutely middle-school main character design.

They look dumb as hell and i don't want to get stuck staring at them for 40 hours.

For real though, when they went through some the cast in the previews all the female characters had literally the same face. Just the hair changed. It's kinda funny.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hope this video game avatar knows they look the fool!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Item Getter posted:

Burned CD, most likely. Back in the day, my mother got her hands on a used PSX for us kids, with a ton of games, and a lot of them were just copies burned on random CDs -even the legit looking games looked like someone just went through slightly more effort to make their bootlegs.

The PS2 had similar problems, and the Dreamcast famously got so many bootlegs, Dreamcast bootlegs became a running joke.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Libluini posted:

Burned CD, most likely. Back in the day, my mother got her hands on a used PSX for us kids, with a ton of games, and a lot of them were just copies burned on random CDs -even the legit looking games looked like someone just went through slightly more effort to make their bootlegs.

The PS2 had similar problems, and the Dreamcast famously got so many bootlegs, Dreamcast bootlegs became a running joke.

that's pretty cool, actually! parents who pirate rule

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Manoueverable posted:

As time has gone by, I've really felt more of the opinion that P3 is largely propped up by its final act, which is probably one of the best for a JRPG if not all of gaming.

Yeah, it was very emotional. Existential without being too cerebral. It was tense and rewarding seeing other characters come to terms with what was happening.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My only last concern, how is the customization? I prefer a game with relatively static classes, at most you get a choice to make on level-up but it's not like anyone can be come anything? I find customization leads a game to being far too unbalanced in game-design.

It's back to the old standard, each class has one or two weapon types they can use, and promotes to one of two advanced classes. For classes which used to have a more diverse loadout, you pick which weapons they use on promotion, so you can have a mage knight who uses magic and swords or one with magic and lances but not one character with both swords and lances.

The Engage system goes on top of that; whoever is wearing the Marth Ring can unleash a Marth powerup during which they can (temporarily) wield Marth's swords regardless of their class. I'm sure there are ways to break the game with certain combos, but the primary balancing factor is that you will only ever have one Marth ring to go around.

My favorite of these I've seen so far is that (chapter 6) the Micaiah ring lets its wielder use staves, regardless of class. It rules.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know that every avatar FE character comes off as stupid, but this guy comes off as exceptionally stupid. Granted, it's hard to look dignified with toothpaste hair. But the script isn't doing him any favors.

I'm going to name her Aquafresh or Colgate or something. I can't take that hair seriously at all and I'm not going to try.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's back to the old standard, each class has one or two weapon types they can use, and promotes to one of two advanced classes. For classes which used to have a more diverse loadout, you pick which weapons they use on promotion, so you can have a mage knight who uses magic and swords or one with magic and lances but not one character with both swords and lances.

The Engage system goes on top of that; whoever is wearing the Marth Ring can unleash a Marth powerup during which they can (temporarily) wield Marth's swords regardless of their class. I'm sure there are ways to break the game with certain combos, but the primary balancing factor is that you will only ever have one Marth ring to go around.

My favorite of these I've seen so far is that (chapter 6) the Micaiah ring lets its wielder use staves, regardless of class. It rules.

This sounds so good. I will definitely be getting it. I'm so glad there seems to be a return to form with the game. I still want to do some indie and smaller release titles first before dropping 60 euro on a AAA title, but still it all sounds so good and it'll be great to play FE again after my last experiences with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Item Getter posted:

I reviewed it, and back before they got really big, I guess Atlus didn't have the budget to send out fully printed PS2 discs, so what I got was a white disc in a CD envelope. Got Rule of Rose the same way.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

that's pretty cool, actually! parents who pirate rule

back then, nobody cared

VHS-tapes had insanely long and overdramatic warnings against piracy added, which I guess imprinted on us and our parents' generation into thinking copyright was just some kind of irrelevant clownery

besides, our parents didn't have enough money to actually buy us video games new, and were too German to even want to: wasting your time with games was heavily discouraged, so we either had to save up our allowance, or hope our parents found something dirt cheap while fishing around their circle of friends and neighbors

We only got a SNES and a Gameboy because our aunts suddenly showed up with Christmas gifts one day.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For real though, when they went through some the cast in the previews all the female characters had literally the same face. Just the hair changed. It's kinda funny.

Idk if it’s just me but every anime character has the same face with different hair

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BigDumper posted:

Idk if it’s just me but every anime character has the same face with different hair

Sir, are you claiming that all Japanese people look the same?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sir, are you claiming that all Japanese people look the same?

he's racist as hell. get his rear end

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So the sword --> axe --> lance --> sword hierarchy is back? I thought I heard they removed it from Three Houses

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It existed in three houses but only in the form of equippable breaker skills that would add in triangle advantage/disadvantage. This time its back to being baked into the system

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Weapon triangle is super important compared to 3H. If you attack on advantage you can stop an enemy from making counterattacks for the rest of the turn. They also gave each weapon a color (R/G/B) so you can just remember it with Pokémon rules.

I love that the game basically gave everyone Fire Emblem stands. It’s a cool idea and really fun visually and in gameplay.

So far, the supports are really lame compared to 3H. A lot of them are just worshipping the PC, and there’s little tension. The jokes fall flat. I hate having idiot ten year olds in my party.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Libluini posted:

back then, nobody cared

VHS-tapes had insanely long and overdramatic warnings against piracy added, which I guess imprinted on us and our parents' generation into thinking copyright was just some kind of irrelevant clownery

besides, our parents didn't have enough money to actually buy us video games new, and were too German to even want to: wasting your time with games was heavily discouraged, so we either had to save up our allowance, or hope our parents found something dirt cheap while fishing around their circle of friends and neighbors

We only got a SNES and a Gameboy because our aunts suddenly showed up with Christmas gifts one day.

Hah, yeah we had a cabinet full of VHS tapes that we copied from rentals. My parents even showed me how to do it myself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like in what I've played of Fire Emblem (FE7 onward) they never quite get the balance of the weapon triangle right. Either it's far too prominent and the game has a distinct rock-paper-scissors feel which makes tactics a bit too basic, or it's completely downplayed and the game doesn't really have enough tactical depth to make up for just removing something. Can't remember what it was like in Shadows of Valentia though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the characters in Engage all looking extremely stupid is a pro, not a con imo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Weapon triangle is super important compared to 3H. If you attack on advantage you can stop an enemy from making counterattacks for the rest of the turn. They also gave each weapon a color (R/G/B) so you can just remember it with Pokémon rules.

I love that the game basically gave everyone Fire Emblem stands. It’s a cool idea and really fun visually and in gameplay.

So far, the supports are really lame compared to 3H. A lot of them are just worshipping the PC, and there’s little tension. The jokes fall flat. I hate having idiot ten year olds in my party.

I replayed 3H this summer and I think it killed the plot/character part of FE for me. The way support ranks and skits work just feels so flat. They're contextless conversations that are usually repeating the same character beat or joke over and over, regardless of what's actually happening in the story, and then those characters never speak to each other again.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel like in what I've played of Fire Emblem (FE7 onward) they never quite get the balance of the weapon triangle right. Either it's far too prominent and the game has a distinct rock-paper-scissors feel which makes tactics a bit too basic, or it's completely downplayed and the game doesn't really have enough tactical depth to make up for just removing something. Can't remember what it was like in Shadows of Valentia though

Valentia didn't have weapon triangle at all, but Valentia was kind of an odd case, mechanically, anyway. Equipment worked completely differently there, since it was a remake of an old game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I replayed 3H this summer and I think it killed the plot/character part of FE for me. The way support ranks and skits work just feels so flat. They're contextless conversations that are usually repeating the same character beat or joke over and over, regardless of what's actually happening in the story, and then those characters never speak to each other again.

I think it’s a tough problem to solve-the game would be incredibly bloated with all of it in the main story, but they have to account for people potentially missing it so they have it hanging off to the side.

I definitely felt like some of the 3H supports got super repetitive, especially if you tried to go for all of them. But I felt like they added good characterization for most of the cast, and I was attached to my army by the end-when I wouldn’t have been if Dorothea was just a random mage or whatever. I hope Engage makes me feel the same eventually.

I will say that 3H did have Edelgard’s support directly influence a major part of the game-and many people complained because they were used to ignoring supports. I think a better solution would be a smaller cast, set optional conversations, and no worrying about grinding points.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Manoueverable posted:

As time has gone by, I've really felt more of the opinion that P3 is largely propped up by its final act, which is probably one of the best for a JRPG if not all of gaming. The rest of the game, while consistent in themes and presentation, just has too much that was improved by its successors imo.

This is correct. The December/January months of P3 are by far the most impactful to me of any of the modern Personas. I still get chills whenever I listen to Memories of a City. That haunting track playing in the over world while watching the NPCs you’ve been talking to all game slowly descend into madness/apathy is loving soul crushing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Persona 3 has the best mood and mood is half the appeal of the Persona games

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Doug Bowser please put the Bayo 1/2 digital bundle on sale, ever. Also Xenoblade 1/2. I’d like to play these games!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fifteen of Many posted:

Doug Bowser please put the Bayo 1/2 digital bundle on sale, ever. Also Xenoblade 1/2. I’d like to play these games!

Why do you expect a former executive from EA to do things consumers like?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Doug Bowser bring back Vouchers

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Looper posted:

skip all of them tbh

i really enjoyed the first 80 hours of persona 5 but then i was still not even close to the ending

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Why do you expect a former executive from EA to do things consumers like?

Reggie would never have done this to me, personally.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
reggies too busy selling nfts to help us now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TIL there’s a DK64 Randomizer and it comes with a bunch of QOL features including being able to switch Kongs at the press of a button. You can even set it up so you can play the vanilla game unrandomized with the just the QOL stuff. Pretty cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Augus posted:

TIL there’s a DK64 Randomizer and it comes with a bunch of QOL features including being able to switch Kongs at the press of a button. You can even set it up so you can play the vanilla game unrandomized with the just the QOL stuff. Pretty cool

playing a dk64 randomizer sounds like hell... sign me up

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think it’s a tough problem to solve-the game would be incredibly bloated with all of it in the main story, but they have to account for people potentially missing it so they have it hanging off to the side.

I definitely felt like some of the 3H supports got super repetitive, especially if you tried to go for all of them. But I felt like they added good characterization for most of the cast, and I was attached to my army by the end-when I wouldn’t have been if Dorothea was just a random mage or whatever. I hope Engage makes me feel the same eventually.

I will say that 3H did have Edelgard’s support directly influence a major part of the game-and many people complained because they were used to ignoring supports. I think a better solution would be a smaller cast, set optional conversations, and no worrying about grinding points.

Yeah I liked the characters enough, but the way supports were handled was the issue for me. Maybe it was the way I played but they'd usually rank up in clusters too, so it was jarring to suddenly binge a ton of back to back cutscenes that had no connection to the surrounding events. It's also a weird effect where the top ranked supports have the characters declaring their love or becoming best friends, and then never talking to each other again (and sometimes immediately having a similar conversation with someone else).

I really liked how Xenoblade Chronicles 3 handled it, which did make the conversations mandatory, but they would each happen at a specific point in the game. That paced them out, and also let them feel part of the greater story and a result of what the characters had been through.