Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers/status/1616563929555292161

Everything that was ever in the game's marketplace is going to be gifted to players for free.

So really the only real losers here are...anyone who ever spent money in the in-game store to support the game. No refunds if you already bought a cosmetic or more.

Although the ephemeral nature of live service games does suck, this seems like the kinda game that was caught between to eras. Like it's clear they'd set up to make a fun co-op action game which they then had to graft all these weird live game systems onto midway through. Which isn't to say it would have succeeded as a pure live game from the ground-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My first finished game of the year is Pentiment. Beautiful game. Nothing like it. Made me interested in 16th century history which I didn't think was possible (sorry 1500s heads).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
any day where a thread shows me Wentworth Miller is a good day, thank you thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinitum posted:

Man Prison Break was a great series that turned into a poo poo series cause it really only needed to be a single season
"I tattooed how to escape the prison onto my body"

Season 2: "Oh.. We're in a new prison now."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Man Prison Break was a great series that turned into a poo poo series cause it really only needed to be a single season
"I tattooed how to escape the prison onto my body"

Season 2: "Oh.. We're in a new prison now."

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1616547692565471234?s=20&t=15grMvJV27bDZ8AO-UVMgw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gently caress!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

alanah pearce put out a short vid on youtube saying that review outlets aren't getting any review codes for forspoken, which means our turkey sensors were correct

hopefully it's an amusingly bad game and not just a wet fart

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
or hopefully it's not that bad!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

alanah pearce put out a short vid on youtube saying that review outlets aren't getting any review codes for forspoken, which means our turkey sensors were correct

I mean they never did review codes for the Doom reboot and everyone got nervous

but also wasn't everyone lukewarm on the Forspoken demo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It didn't seem that bad in the demo, just kinda repetitive and unremarkable. The PC port is probably gonna be a disaster though since I don't think anybody's gotten pre-review codes for that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

or hopefully it's not that bad!

i hope that for every game, but not giving out review codes is a step above a review embargo in terms of "we need to trick people into buying this day 1", and it gives me little confidence in it being anything other than another SE stumble

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HopperUK posted:

any day where a thread shows me Wentworth Miller is a good day, thank you thread

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
For as meh as the Arrowverse shows are, Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold was always a highlight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Draga posted:

For as meh as the Arrowverse shows are, Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold was always a highlight.

No matter what you think about it, Arrow is the Green Arrow show of all time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope the forspiken game is good, actually

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope it’s good but it sounds like it won’t be

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

PC-only reviewers are not getting codes. PS5 codes got sent out about a week ago.

That probably means you should not buy it on PC, but hey... you knew that already since this is Square-Enix.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ErrEff posted:

PC-only reviewers are not getting codes. PS5 codes got sent out about a week ago.

That probably means you should not buy it on PC, but hey... you knew that already since this is Square-Enix.

that's a more positive outlook, then, although i'm still sad that SE just cannot figure out how to put a game on a computer successfully

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I always hope games are good, and then if they aren’t, that the memes are good instead

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just started Fire Emblem Engage! I've avoided every bit of spoilers about this game.

I've got a bad feeling about this Lumera person.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vermain posted:

that's a more positive outlook, then, although i'm still sad that SE just cannot figure out how to put a game on a computer successfully

Final Fantasy XIV and that's it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

the lightning returns PC port is the only other one i can remember that went off without a hitch, at least when i played it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Tomb Raider PC ports were always very solid but that was Nixxes' work.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

ErrEff posted:

From the sound of it PS5 codes got sent out to some reviewers, but there are still a lot of (not PC-only) reviewers who didn’t get a code at all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn’t get one…

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean yeah but also their first attempt at putting this game on PC ran well on zero hardware configurations and had stuff like individual pieces of background furniture with higher polycounts than most other entire games, and it was such a mess they had to delete the entire game and take a huge risk on the company to remake everything, which they only did because they risked forever tarnishing one of the most valuable video game brands of all time. So in that sense it wasn't exactly a smooth sailing PC port.

edit: I also remember trying to install the PC version of FF11. It took about two days to install and you had to be at your PC most of the time because you never knew when you'd have to swap out CD-roms or click a prompt.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
There is the incredibly generous reading that they don't want to give out PC codes because they are worried and them getting cra-

I can't even keep up a straight face typing that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All review codes now need to be minted on the blockchain and there is only a limited supply.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wow the last level of Hitman 3 was a real wet fart. Super excited to be on a train at first, thinkin maybe some kinda snowpiercer deal but actually just some narrow halls to walk down and they don't care if you try to do anything sneaky or clever, you can kill everyone too. I hope they play Metal Gear Solid 5 sometime for some cool ideas for systems interaction and sneaking around tools and detection. Giving him batman vision was a weird choice, they also give you a minimap showing you stuff you can't see.

Are the older ones worth playing or are they just iterative steps to get to the formula they refined for the new Hitmans?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really need Dead Space Remake to be out already. I am so excited for that. Less than a week.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I, too, wish to be dead in space

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope it’s good, I’m also cautiously excited for the RE4 remake in two months

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

I, too, wish to be dead in space

loving same.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

The Tomb Raider PC ports were always very solid but that was Nixxes' work.

tomb raider 1 on pc was easy mode, save anywhere??, gtfo

hatty posted:

I hope it’s good, I’m also cautiously excited for the RE4 remake in two months

i'm not even cautiously excited, its one of the very very very few times i've jus thought "nope I don't need to see anything about this videogame" and am planning on taking the friday off work and going in blind and having a very good time

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve always told people that I want to be the first human to die on Mars or Mercury

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wuggles posted:

My first finished game of the year is Pentiment. Beautiful game. Nothing like it. Made me interested in 16th century history which I didn't think was possible (sorry 1500s heads).

i definitely know what my palico's name will be in the next monster hunter game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

wow the last level of Hitman 3 was a real wet fart. Super excited to be on a train at first, thinkin maybe some kinda snowpiercer deal but actually just some narrow halls to walk down and they don't care if you try to do anything sneaky or clever, you can kill everyone too. I hope they play Metal Gear Solid 5 sometime for some cool ideas for systems interaction and sneaking around tools and detection. Giving him batman vision was a weird choice, they also give you a minimap showing you stuff you can't see.

Are the older ones worth playing or are they just iterative steps to get to the formula they refined for the new Hitmans?
blood money is the only early hitman that rates, and the only one that is really recognizable compared to the new hitmans. the train level is probably more representative of the series as a whole, than any of the good parts, taking into consideration 1, 2, and absolution

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I mean yeah but also their first attempt at putting this game on PC ran well on zero hardware configurations and had stuff like individual pieces of background furniture with higher polycounts than most other entire games, and it was such a mess they had to delete the entire game and take a huge risk on the company to remake everything, which they only did because they risked forever tarnishing one of the most valuable video game brands of all time. So in that sense it wasn't exactly a smooth sailing PC port.

I mean, this is less about the PC port and more about how XIV 1.0 was just bad. It was bad on console too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think the first Lets Play I earnestly watched all the way through was this blood money LP by an australian guy, surprisingly easy to look up since his name is AuzzieGamer but I remember having a lot of fun watching this when I could never really get into the games before the reboot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Bzg99DE1w

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

hatty posted:

I’ve always told people that I want to be the first human to die on Mars or Mercury

You'd probably get a statue or a plaque or something, right?