Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was wanting to get back into this game, and grabbed the newest expasion and a few months of VIP time. What other expansions do I need to get to have everything; the VIP page seems at least a little out of date so I dunno if I need everything that's listed as not included or if that's changed. Seems like I'd need Fate of Gundabad and War of Three Peaks at least?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-letter-2023-en

New expansion in q4. New zone, increased level cap and new class (!!)
New instance cluster sometime in next 2 or 3 months
Landscape updates throughout the year (no idea what this means. cleaning up quests? graphics updates?)
Class updates throughout the year
Crafting updates throughout the year
Reworking how the Power attribute works
Monster play events and updates

Man I need to jump back into LOTRO again

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Mr E posted:

I was wanting to get back into this game, and grabbed the newest expasion and a few months of VIP time. What other expansions do I need to get to have everything; the VIP page seems at least a little out of date so I dunno if I need everything that's listed as not included or if that's changed. Seems like I'd need Fate of Gundabad and War of Three Peaks at least?

Whatcha trying to do in the game? If you're planning to play through the story/bingo arcs, you've got enough for now and can figure out the rest later. They added some fun new early zones like yondershire for free and swanfeet and cardolan as part of Before the Shadow which you might wanna buy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

Whatcha trying to do in the game? If you're planning to play through the story/bingo arcs, you've got enough for now and can figure out the rest later. They added some fun new early zones like yondershire for free and swanfeet and cardolan as part of Before the Shadow which you might wanna buy.

I started playing again recently after... I guess the better part of a decade, and I had no idea that this innocent-looking Bingo quest would be an epic. I figured he'd never actually leave the Shire but here I am in the Lone Lands

Also my account already had 2 loremasters of like lvl 26 and 33, but I went ahead and created a hobbit LM because I like hobbits. Now I'm getting to the mid-20s levels so it's probably about time to stop playing for another 5-10 years.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

I'm just playing through the story right now, have played a little before now but want to actually make it into the higher levels this time. I just love how chill this game is and the last few patches fixed most of my little issues with it. I went ahead and bought Before the Shadow and am following along the tutorial it gives you, I just got past the prologue and am doing sidequests as I go. I got Bingo's letter and want to check out that too. Do I need to worry about following a specific build or anything as a burglar if I'm playing solo? I'm planning on going with the red talent tree.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I started playing again recently after... I guess the better part of a decade, and I had no idea that this innocent-looking Bingo quest would be an epic. I figured he'd never actually leave the Shire but here I am in the Lone Lands

Also my account already had 2 loremasters of like lvl 26 and 33, but I went ahead and created a hobbit LM because I like hobbits. Now I'm getting to the mid-20s levels so it's probably about time to stop playing for another 5-10 years.

Bingo rocks and to be frank I'm way more invested in his adventures than the actual epic story quest.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mr E posted:

I'm just playing through the story right now, have played a little before now but want to actually make it into the higher levels this time. I just love how chill this game is and the last few patches fixed most of my little issues with it. I went ahead and bought Before the Shadow and am following along the tutorial it gives you, I just got past the prologue and am doing sidequests as I go. I got Bingo's letter and want to check out that too. Do I need to worry about following a specific build or anything as a burglar if I'm playing solo? I'm planning on going with the red talent tree.

You don't need to stress about builds unless you start raiding at level cap. You will vaporize most things out in the world as you get more skills. You can also respec your skills whenever you want for a trivial amount of coin so feel free to experiment.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I love Bingo's quests and love playing Gandalf or Strider to his Baggins. I'm also having a great time with a hobbit brawler. Nearly level 30 with still no idea of the proper setup/finisher procedures or whatever, but it really doesn't matter because I am just running around solving problems by punching them. The ding from the Slay Bell trinket as you one-shot a bird or something with Hurl Object is amazingly satisfying.

I wish however they'd introduce story mode solo-friendly fellowship instances or something. Given server pop and gameplay times it feels like it's impossible to find anyone who wants to do Fornost or the Forsaken Inn and I really don't want to waste anybody else's time on 'em. I wish the bosses and group participation mechanics could be toned down or something for single players who don't care about loot, but I realize a lot of this inherited game just comes as-is. It's still a hell of a lot of fun and I smile every time I crest a hill in the Shire and see a rainbow.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cutedge posted:

Landscape updates throughout the year (no idea what this means. cleaning up quests? graphics updates?)
It means new zones. In Q2 there's going to be a new version of (parts of?) Gondor that isn't during the Dawnless Day, and then in Q4 a new expansion in Umbar.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

My friend and 2 others are going to give this one another try, for the 3 of them it will be for the first time. Any important must-have mods/extra stuff you would recommend to make it as smooth and UI friendly as possible?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There’s really nothing you need mod wise to enjoy the game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dackel posted:

My friend and 2 others are going to give this one another try, for the 3 of them it will be for the first time. Any important must-have mods/extra stuff you would recommend to make it as smooth and UI friendly as possible?

Maybe buy a month of premium just to unlock stuff like riding and the extra inventory bags, and buy the premium wallet if they're having fun since it's extremely convenient.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe buy a month of premium just to unlock stuff like riding and the extra inventory bags, and buy the premium wallet if they're having fun since it's extremely convenient.

Riding is free now and gets given from one of the tutorial quests that introduces you to the LOTRO Store as of Patch 34.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Howard Beale posted:

I love Bingo's quests and love playing Gandalf or Strider to his Baggins. I'm also having a great time with a hobbit brawler. Nearly level 30 with still no idea of the proper setup/finisher procedures or whatever, but it really doesn't matter because I am just running around solving problems by punching them. The ding from the Slay Bell trinket as you one-shot a bird or something with Hurl Object is amazingly satisfying.

I wish however they'd introduce story mode solo-friendly fellowship instances or something. Given server pop and gameplay times it feels like it's impossible to find anyone who wants to do Fornost or the Forsaken Inn and I really don't want to waste anybody else's time on 'em. I wish the bosses and group participation mechanics could be toned down or something for single players who don't care about loot, but I realize a lot of this inherited game just comes as-is. It's still a hell of a lot of fun and I smile every time I crest a hill in the Shire and see a rainbow.

I'm currently running a level 30ish hunter on the goon server if you wanna team up. I don't have my char name atm but can get it when I get home.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Everyone gets the premium wallet now as of last year (U32).

quote:

The benefits of the Premium Wallet Upgrade have now been applied to all accounts. The widest possible assortment of barter currencies, including a variety of instance tokens, region barter tokens, festival tokens, taxidermy barter items, and crafting instance tokens, will now automatically go into the barter wallet for all characters on all accounts.

OhFunny posted:

Riding is free now and gets given from one of the tutorial quests that introduces you to the LOTRO Store as of Patch 34.

I'd still recommend a month of premium just to unlock fast travel. It's a pain getting around otherwise and Premium is the only way to unlock it outside of one-shot store purchases/mithril coins.

My recommended store purchases and why: (1LP = $0.01, roughly)

--- for everyone ---

All the milestone cooldown timers 990 LP
(Hurried Traveller and Expedient Traveller are the skills you want. Makes you able to recall to a bind point every 5 minutes instead of every 60. You want this.)

--- for everyone not a warden or a hunter --

1 or 2 extra milestone bind points 350 LP each
(combined with the above, you can cut travel time down significantly, which really helps with epic quests that send you back to Rivendell every 5 minutes to check in with your good buddy Elrond Halfelven. Wardens and Hunters get travel skills to most major cities so don't really need this. You can also pick up "Guide To" skills at quest hubs, but usually have to max out reputation there first.)

--- if you do crafting (right now it's kind of pointless since you don't need to make LIs and endgame tiers are really bad, a revamp just got promised) ---

Universal Toolkit (bound to account) 150 LP
(pretty much required as individual crafting tools are a pain in the butt and you get a crit bonus with this. Don't get the Enduring version, it's 300LP more and the only difference is you harvest stuff 3 seconds faster)
Large Crafting Carryall (bound to account) 1995 LP
(yes, it's expensive but it gives you 50 more inventory slots for crafting mats and you can swap it between characters)

--- if you're impatient and have money to blow ---

Journeyman Riding (account-wide) 2995 LP
(yes, it's expensive, but you only need to buy it once, forever, and all your horses go as fast as possible.)

Really don't need anything else unless you have a house and want to fill it up with junk (ask me about my house with every crafting station and a complete set of Bingo's maps). Maybe some mithril coins to zap to complete quests or something. LOTRO's done really well this past year in removing most of the annoying things that "suggested" store purchases to remove them. You can play for almost free for years now and not miss a thing.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 22, 2023

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Agreed on recommendations, with the added suggestion to wait for sales, because they crop up very often (a new one once a week, and there's only like half a dozen or so permutations) and everything on that list will go down by 10-25%

similarly, they less frequently have point bonus "sales" where you get more LP for your $, and if you combine the two you can end up getting things for a substantial discount

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Large Crafting Carryall (bound to account) 1995 LP
(yes, it's expensive but it gives you 50 more inventory slots for crafting mats and you can swap it between characters)

Oh gently caress yes. I haven't played in a few years, but I've been thinking about coming back for a while now. I might have to grab that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OhFunny posted:

Lum_ posted:

Everyone gets the premium wallet now as of last year (U32).

Hm, well then in that case maybe just a month or premium so they can make characters with fast travel unlocked is about it I guess.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Agreed with everything. Carry all's are amazing. VIP gets you like 500lp to get you on the way. I don't have any of the account ringing upgrades or anything, but I don't know how it could play anything other than a warden now between the run speed buff and the free 5min muster skills. Don't even need the milestone cooldown discount.

And yeah Bingo's line is great. I played a bunch after the f2p launch and somehow missed them.

Sometimes your can just ask in world chat if anyone wants to help with the small fellowship quests. A max level can basically solo it and carry you through it you wanna see the content. There aren't many of those left, luckily.

I'm playing the story with my warden and valar'd my minstrel (120) guardian (105) and rk (50) so I wouldn't have to grind those and fill roles at endgame if I wanna. I loved my rk last time through and it's hard not switching over to them instead of my warden but the travel skilllssssss

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cutedge posted:

New expansion in q4. New zone, increased level cap and new class (!!)
New instance cluster sometime in next 2 or 3 months
Class updates throughout the year
Crafting updates throughout the year
Reworking how the Power attribute works
Monster play events and updates

Man I need to jump back into LOTRO again

They had a Q&A stream too with some additional information.

• River Hobbits this year (but may get bumped back by other projects)

• Landscape difficulty slider for regular servers.

• A two-factor authentication launcher.

• More avatar options for the race of Man and perhaps others.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I guess I should say that modding lotro is easier than it's ever been if you do want stuff. I run defled tracker and Titan bars and some action bar and map enhancers, but I basically never use them.

Just remember to check the edit button in your inventory and merge them all together to your preference. One big bag and submitting to the autosort is the best approach imo.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

OhFunny posted:

They had a Q&A stream too with some additional information.

• River Hobbits this year (but may get bumped back by other projects)

Gah, this is going to be expensive in race changes!

Is there any other information available on this? I hope they come with revamped hobbit housing but that might be a bit too optimistic.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm finally going through Gundabad, having bought it on the last sale. Then forgot that I bought it. Anyways, the first area (Mattugard) was fine. But man, Deepscrave was really annoying. Too much backtracking through mobs again and again, plus navigating up and down that goddamn stair system, heh.

Stonejaws seems good so far, but I had something happen - I was fighting in the tombs area, fighting Angmarim, when all of a sudden they all disappeared and the area I had cleared out went back to full spawn of Kegrim. What causes this? I...did not survive. I found a thread on the official forums discussing it, but no one knew what was going on either.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I guess no one else knows either, heh.

Here's another question maybe someone knows - i have one tier lower traceries on my LI, but teal. The current tier I only have purple. On some it's more obvious what the difference is - like teal is 30% a certain skill damage, purple is 25%. The advice I read was that in that case, stick with the teal.

However for herald traceries, they're just stats. No percentage stuff. Is there a site to use to know if they should be swapped out? Both last tier and the current ones max at 499, and the slots can only go to 480 right now anyways.

What's even the difference on the stat scaling, if anyone knows? Is there even any difference between tiers, or is the incentive to upgrade just the max rank and the "tracery stops writing at level X" stuff? That plus they start at a higher rank, but all mine are to that rank or higher anyways.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New class changes going on test server.

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?698157-Developer-s-Diary-%E2%80%93-Captain-Updates-by-OnnMacMahal&p=8173998&posted=1

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?698160-Developer-s-Diary-%E2%80%93-Warden-Updates-from-OnnMacMahal&p=8173990

quote:

Warden:

Assailment is becoming a neutral tree, like Brawler & Minstrel's yellow trees.
Gambit Chains are being reworked to require ANY 2, then ANY 3, then ANY 4/5 length gambit. Each one will have increased strength as you move up the chain.
Gambit Chains provide 'Advanced Techniques' a new effect that is used for upcoming NON-gambit based skills that consume advanced techniques
Effect Bloat is being looked at/changed. The 8-million effects that Wardens put on themselves are being consolidated, buffed, or outright removed. This will remove the large amount of effect bloat
As Sev & Orion have stated in previous q&a sessions, Effects are one of the big culprits for server/client lag, especially as it relates to group content. This is a hidden buff for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this during the 2023 class touches.
Blue wardens are getting CD 'OH CRAP' skills like other tanks, they are related to the 'advanced techniques' mentioned earlier.
Red wardens are getting some more 'instant damage' options, to help with lower morale mobs that they don't have time to stack DoTs on.
Red wardens will also benefit from being able to grab a lot more from Assailment without spending all of their trait points.

Captain:

Captains are getting a moderate damage buff across the board.
Red-line Captains will be getting a "solo stance" that gives them solid dps, but nerfs their group support abilities. This will be largely for solo play as well as possible 3 mans. But in 6+, your ability to buff up your team will likely be more important.
Blue-Line Captains are getting more active healing, increases for their shield-brother, but are losing (decreasing) some of their HoT capabilities to help balance out and allow better reaction to spikes in damage
Yellow-Line is in the best spot of the three and is largely getting QoL improvements, including more ways to move through Battle readied/hardened and making the rotation feel less like filler and more consequential. our team will likely be more important. aches.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
dang those are a ton of changes to Wardens

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hell yeah DPS captains (in solo 3-man content). :black101:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

dang those are a ton of changes to Wardens

Yeah they mentioned more non gambit skills coming. My poor toolbars.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

xZAOx posted:

I guess no one else knows either, heh.

Here's another question maybe someone knows - i have one tier lower traceries on my LI, but teal. The current tier I only have purple. On some it's more obvious what the difference is - like teal is 30% a certain skill damage, purple is 25%. The advice I read was that in that case, stick with the teal.

However for herald traceries, they're just stats. No percentage stuff. Is there a site to use to know if they should be swapped out? Both last tier and the current ones max at 499, and the slots can only go to 480 right now anyways.

What's even the difference on the stat scaling, if anyone knows? Is there even any difference between tiers, or is the incentive to upgrade just the max rank and the "tracery stops writing at level X" stuff? That plus they start at a higher rank, but all mine are to that rank or higher anyways.

Check this page out. Your stat caps will be a lot higher with the next level tier of traceries if you can afford to keep enhancing the slots. Purples are probably fine/equivalent to higher tiers on lower level versions. Not sure if this helps, it sounds like you've worked it out for the most part. Gotta watch out for stat caps like tactical damage/crit chance.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item%3AHeraldry_of_the_Sparrow

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks for the response! That makes sense, and kind of what I figured. If this were a more popular MMO, there'd probably be some good community website where you could just pick traceries and see values at each rank, but oh well.

I've just been doing landscape poo poo anyways, so not like it overly matters, heh. I finished all the zone quests in Gundabad yesterday. Have some epic left, then of course the repeatables if I feel inclined. Probably won't, though.

Anyone dip their toes in the pug scene lately? I did pug raiding and grouping years back in Gondor content, and it was usually a positive experience. I still see pugs recruiting often enough, so guess it's decent?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah always something going on in world chat, but usually only at level cap. The winter event insurance was being run by tons of groups. I'm story grinding for the first time since I left back when moria was endgame. Haven't really been able to partake. My valar'd minstrel is only 131 and I bet I have no idea how to actually run/gear it for a real run. Lotrohq is helpful, but it's not been updated in a while...

For what is worth, I think the leveling is linear? If you buff a slot once you can probably gauge the progression. Not 100% on that

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I started playing again in earnest. I am doing a hobbit burglar named Diabetique. I gotta say they nailed the look and story of the area cause it reminds me verbatim of the books.

I signed up for the VIP monthly sub as well I don't see any immediate benefit but hell I love the game so far, figured I can throw a few bucks their way.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Diabetic posted:

I started playing again in earnest. I am doing a hobbit burglar named Diabetique. I gotta say they nailed the look and story of the area cause it reminds me verbatim of the books.

I signed up for the VIP monthly sub as well I don't see any immediate benefit but hell I love the game so far, figured I can throw a few bucks their way.

Join the discord!
https://discord.gg/bPdZ5F5e

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Gladly been lurking for a long time!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I'm level 18 on my burglar, I'm in Bree, fought a newly turned wraith, loving it so much so far, I love the side story style of the game but I'm easily entertained like that. I'm surprised this doesn't have a stronger presence online, the world is beautiful and followed the books pretty darn closely even with the world design.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Diabetic posted:

I'm level 18 on my burglar, I'm in Bree, fought a newly turned wraith, loving it so much so far, I love the side story style of the game but I'm easily entertained like that. I'm surprised this doesn't have a stronger presence online, the world is beautiful and followed the books pretty darn closely even with the world design.

The reason it exists today is the ad blitz they did when they made it f2p a billion years ago. Was another decent bump at the anniversary with all the content/leveling giveaways.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Diabetic posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't have a stronger presence online

I love lotro for what it is, but like... I'm surprised at times it is even still running. It really doesn't do anything unique or special aside from the brand.

The questing is as vanilla and plain as you could get. The graphics are dated. The UI is old and doesn't scale well. And the goddamn lag... It's gotten way worse the past year. But even before that, stuff like rubber banding has always been terrible.

Until very, very recently, it was also really expensive if you wanted to check out old content - or otherwise buy a boost. It's better now, but it really came off as nickel and diming you, and instead of jumping in, people would try to research the "best" way to get content and start playing.

I don't think any of the end game stuff has ever been very good. The Rohan horses were, and still are, undercooked idea. Epic battles, no one ever liked them. Maybe people like missions or delves at least? The end game rep / deed grinds are also very boring and unoriginal.

The brand is also a bit of a detractor. It really limits what they can do. It's hundreds of hours against wolves, bugs, ents, orcs, goblins, ghosts, and evil men. There's obviously more, but the enemy roster and type of locations are really narrow compared to other long running MMOs.

I've enjoyed dungeons and raids, but I've really only ever pugged them. And I haven't even done that since like... Gondor. They didn't even release much/any group content for a loooong stretch of time.

And if anyone did want to join in, unless you buy a boost, you have a looong way to go before you can play with friends.

The game is also notably on the pay to win scale. It's nowhere near Diablo Immortal bad, but essences, li's, loot boxes, quest teleports are all pretty rampant and in your face for new players.

drat, I sound like I hate the game, lol. I love the landscape and setting. It's a very chill and easy experience. If you just want to take your time doing landscape content, it's also really cheap (after the latest changes) since there's no sub. Exploring is fun, especially if you like middle earth.

But beyond the brand, it just doesn't offer anything special. ESO, GW2, WoW, FF14 all are much better games, much more modern, less bugs and lag and jank. 2 of those also have no sub fee, ff has an insane free trial, 2 of those also have static top end gear and level, you can catch up to end game content easier, the endgames are much more refined and popular. Their monetization models are also easier to understand, and they're much much less directly pay to win (being able to buy currency is probably the biggest offender in two of them).

I don't know why I felt like giving a goddamn dissertation on my stupid thoughts about lotro, but there you go! I just finished Gundabad and the second zone sucked, but the rest were pretty good. I look forward to the next max level expansion.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

My understanding is that Mordor is a quality leap over Gondor like Gondor was over Rohan. Everything you says valid though.

And the new lower level content is pretty fun too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xZAOx posted:

The brand is also a bit of a detractor. It really limits what they can do. It's hundreds of hours against wolves, bugs, ents, orcs, goblins, ghosts, and evil men. There's obviously more, but the enemy roster and type of locations are really narrow compared to other long running MMOs.

Don't forget bears and boars!

Get to a new region, immediately run into people who desperately need 10 bear skins, 10 wolf heads, and 10 boar asses. And also body parts from a type of crow different (in name) to the ones in the previous region.