Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

Right and that's why I'm trying to separate the game from him. I'm not gonna bat for the guy, he's a specific brand of a toxic neckbeard, constantly picking stupidest hills to die on.

The game itself is innocuous

Yep

Please everyone I'm serious STOP USING SOCIAL MEDIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
absolute full-throated lmao at people believing you can and should separate art from its artists

just rofling myself to death over here

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

George posted:

absolute full-throated lmao at people believing you can and should separate art from its artists

just rofling myself to death over here

Guess we can't enjoy anything lovecraftian anymore

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

other the flip side of devs pissing off people, I genuinely appreciate how the single guy making Hotdog Horseshoes and Hand Grenades refuses to add humans to his realistic VR gun simulator and it's still stirring people up to this day

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

satanic splash-back posted:

I like to play games without spending hours of research on the internet reading about weirdos when I could rather play video games imo.

thats what I did and I got wasted with a priest and bonked dudes on the head with a mace and i wasn't really thinking about their race. it just didn't seem to be a part of the game.

wasnt there a Resident Evil game where you're a white guy in Africa shooting a bunch of black zombies? like, that's real bad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

unknown butthole posted:

Guess we can't enjoy anything lovecraftian anymore

I mean that poo poo does usually suck rear end

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pretty astonishing how 90% of the poo poo based on "ANCIENT GODS AND poo poo HUMAN BEINGS CANT POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND IN OLD PLACES WITH INCOMPREHENSIBLE GEOMETRY" is generic and boring faff.

Lovecraftian influence is overprominent and tedious in gaming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pentiment also has historically accurate racism but obsidian never does anything wrong according to goons

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
you can enjoy it but do so in the context of its creator being an enormous heap of smelly poo poo.

this isn't hard.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
I liked the book dimension in skyrim

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

George posted:

you can enjoy it but do so in the context of its creator being an enormous heap of smelly poo poo.

this isn't hard.

I think you can also enjoy it while being totally neutral or ignorant on him because WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S NORMAL TO USE TWITTER

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Pretty astonishing how 90% of the poo poo based on "ANCIENT GODS AND poo poo HUMAN BEINGS CANT POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND IN OLD PLACES WITH INCOMPREHENSIBLE GEOMETRY" is generic and boring faff.

breaking through on DMT isn't boring

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Talk about video games you dorks nobody normal cares if some C++ monkey used the f slur in a tweet once

Age of Wonders 4 is coming in May and I am happy.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

i got one of those bootleg "300 games in 1" sega carts and was playing this game called Chakan: The Forever Man last night and it's really cool. You're a dead guy in a big hat with two swords.

I was also playing Contra: Hard Corps and the first 5 seconds of that game is probably the best opening to any game I've ever played.

I was looking for Sid Meiers Pirates on it but it's not on this cart

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

list of unambiguously great games that everyone loves:
  • dark souls 2
  • hades
  • fortnite
  • super smash bros brawl
  • diablo 3
  • final fantasy 13
  • the legend of zelda: ocarina of time
  • chrono cross
  • minecraft
  • disco elysium
  • mass effect 3
  • death stranding
  • outer wirlds
  • doom 3
  • league of legends
  • fallout 3
  • team fortress 2

I'm glad there's one good game in this list

edit: it's Dark Souls 2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

George posted:

this isn't hard.

I enjoyed this post despite its creator being an enormous heap of smelly poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

George posted:

this isn't hard.

It oftentimes is. Take the person who used Lovecraft as an example. Because he was such a racist piece of poo poo, and with me knowing that, any attempt to read his poo poo these days is foiled by my understanding that "oh, this big scary monster is an incredibly thinly vieled representative of scaaaaary foreigners." It kind of ruins any entertainment I could get out of it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

George posted:

this isn't hard.

also, pirate it

you don't have to compensate him for his work unless you want to

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

FoolyCharged posted:

It oftentimes is. Take the person who used Lovecraft as an example. Because he was such a racist piece of poo poo, and with me knowing that, any attempt to read his poo poo these days is foiled by my understanding that "oh, this big scary monster is an incredibly thinly vieled representative of scaaaaary foreigners." It kind of ruins any entertainment I could get out of it.

I you'd read any of Lovecrafts writings recently, you would know that there's nothing thinly veiled about his racism.
They're still interesting stories even when he goes off-tangent about degeneracy of rural Vermonters or Innsmouthians. In a train-crash sort of way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

George posted:

this isn't hard.

You can but also you don't have to.

Like for example I will not buy the Factorio DLC, because the dev promoted the paid lectures of an openly anti-LGBTQ modder from the community, and when they were asked by the players to simply add a disclaimer saying the modder's views are not necessarily representative of their own, the dev said "Take that cancel culture mentality and shove it up your rear end" then went on a media tour bragging about how good they felt to be fighting the honorable fight to destroy cancel culture (which, they say, is similar to standing up to nazis), and made statements urging other game devs to make similar comments because it boosted his sales and got him a lot of DM'd praise from chuds who like that he speaks his mind which made him feel good about himself.

e: I lied because actually I am going to buy the Factorio DLC but only to post a Steam review containing links to several articles about this and then refund it, lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 21, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FoolyCharged posted:

Lovecraft sucked poo poo, his stories sucked rear end, people have overmined his work while barely changing or adding much to it over the course of a hundred loving years, and we're still sitting here with people making Dagon-esque period pieces that take place in some soggy rear end shithole. There's a reason why Stuart Gordon is one of the few cases of Lovecraft's poo poo actually being rendered enjoyable, because he modernized them and added actual subtext/humor instead of creating some dreary, wack rear end mess or thinking there was inherent value in presenting things exactly how Lovecraft did, which there wasn't, because despite dreaming up some surface level kooky poo poo, Lovecraft himself had virtually zero imagination outside of vague explanations of scary stuff.

Poe was significantly better and also understood that the scariest thing was our own emotional and mental fragility.

Also The King in Yellow is way better than Lovecraft.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can but also you don't have to.

Like for example I will not buy the Factorio DLC, because the dev promoted the paid lectures of an openly anti-LGBTQ modder from the community, and when they were asked by the players to simply add a disclaimer saying the modder's views are not necessarily representative of their own, the dev said "Take that cancel culture mentality and shove it up your rear end" then went on a media tour bragging about how good they felt to be fighting the honorable fight to destroy cancel culture (which, they say, is similar to standing up to nazis), and made statements urging other game devs to make similar comments because it boosted his sales and got him a lot of DM'd praise from chuds who like that he speaks his mind which made him feel good about himself.

Don't forget that he posted on Reddit being "confused" about statutory rape laws.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know what else doesn't have any black people in it? My Dinner With Andre! Now look, I've got receipts here proving that African Americans ate at restaurants in New York in the 60s and 70s. But of the two leads in My Dinner With Andre, there's not a single person of color to be found!

It must have been made by racists

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

precision posted:

You know what else doesn't have any black people in it? My Dinner With Andre! Now look, I've got receipts here proving that African Americans ate at restaurants in New York in the 60s and 70s. But of the two leads in My Dinner With Andre, there's not a single person of color to be found!

My Fucker with Suckgay

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
The Dunwich Horror is good, actually.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cool Air is pretty good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've never read anything bu lovecraft and I intend to keep it that way

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

fridge corn posted:

I've never read anything bu lovecraft and I intend to keep it that way

Good, the only good Lovecraft poo poo is the stuff that he never had any hand in whatsoever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrQwerty posted:

Cool Air is pretty good

Cyrus "the virus"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Don't forget that he posted on Reddit being "confused" about statutory rape laws.

lmao, I hadn't seen that one but you weren't kidding

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure there are black people in the background when Wally is on the subway going to the dinner

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thank God we've cleared Malle of being racist do we can focus on how much he wanted to gently caress his mom

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Vg voice acting peaked with blood omen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZRD8_cJSo

Vorador owns

Vorador was the president in MGS2, telling you about the secret cabal that rules the world.

But it is wild that MGS1 and Blood Omen existed on the PS1.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Going "THERES NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION IN CAPITALISM" while a fine statement is a lazy as gently caress excuse people use to avoid making anything that could possibly even remotely be considered a sacrifice. Oh that and "it's okay I'm supporting the art not the artist", yeah no that's just dumb. Nobody expects people to do research before buying a video game but maybe avoid the ones that you do find out about? Fine too much to ask how about not saying people are imagining things when they point it out. No? Okay at least you can shutup when they provide convincing evidence that they are right? No? Okay gently caress you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hogwarts game looks like dogshit anway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

maybe avoid the ones that you do find out about

Part of the problem is that social media brained people only think in black or white. To them Vavra "is" a horrible unperson rather than thinking about the truth which is like, complicated and nuanced and stuff

Edit: and now to watch people reply to this post in a way that only proves my point, they're gonna yell at me

Mod edit: Removed some personal info

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 21, 2023

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
90% of people don't give a gently caress and the 10% that do just sit on computers being mad about the world all the time without affecting any change what-so-ever

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's a cultural artifact of the WW2 - Cold War. Czechoslovakian virtue signalling is being anti-cancel culture. Local boomer adjacents will be like pro-LGBT marriage but anti-talking about it, pro-vax but anti-mandatory, anti-putin but biden laptop...

It's weird and hard to describe.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The problem is that you play the game and realize that the writing and direction was done by a complete loving moron and it utterly ruins any suspension of disbelief because every moment has their personal incompetence at being a decent person shining through it. It's like Dan Simmons any time he mentions Muslims in his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

precision posted:

Part of the problem is that social media brained people only think in black or white. To them Vavra "is" a horrible unperson rather than thinking about the truth which is like, complicated and nuanced and stuff

Edit: and now to watch people reply to this post in a way that only proves my point, they're gonna yell at me

Oh so you're going to be posting evidence as to why this isn't so black and white right? I mean I've seen plenty of evidence why I shouldn't support Vavra certainly somebody will come along and post some to support him.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

90% of people don't give a gently caress and the 10% that do just sit on computers being mad about the world all the time without affecting any change what-so-ever

That's nice I do wonder though why people who allegedly don't give a gently caress are so vocal when anyone dares to suggest maybe they should care about racist, sexist, working conditions, bigotry etc. and brings attention to these issues.

edit: Oh wait maybe you think people saying bigotry is bad are the ones who don't actually care. Clearly being a good person is just a ploy to get points on the internet!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 21, 2023