Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Straw Feminists in the Closet is one of my favourite Beatons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

drop out

drop out

CW: suicidal thoughts / ideation

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

Tree Bucket posted:

Ah! I was thinking in terms of "cheese singles." You know, like the cheapest nastiest fakest cheese in that weird flimsy plastic. Only, apparently, lobster flavored.

I guess it doesn't mean much coming from a confirmed detritivore, but I'd try lobster-flavored "cheese product" squares.

Tree Bucket posted:

It's super cool to get an answer from a comic writer immediately.

It's super cool to be casually interacting with the Tree Bucket. Your art is one of my favorite things in this thread.

Tree Bucket posted:

BACK IN MY DAY you had to hope they'd put out something like The Prehistory of the Far Side to explain their weirder impulses.

Hell yeah! Prehistory of the Far Side was one of my favorite books as a kid. Seeing the development and the drafting process felt like an invitation to try it myself.

lmao

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MokBa posted:

"'This cigarette is my son' or something" is an S-tier line.

"You gotta not him me with a car!" is also up there

I love those ones but my favourite swan boy will always be worm family court

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

This one always makes me snort-laugh.

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

It's super cool to be casually interacting with the Tree Bucket. Your art is one of my favorite things in this thread.

Gahhh, I can't handle good vibes of this magnitude. This thread is just too wholesome.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tree Bucket posted:

This one always makes me snort-laugh.

Gahhh, I can't handle good vibes of this magnitude. This thread is just too wholesome.

Quick, someone post some more Dropout! Our resident artist is feeling too much joy!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Pretty hardcore bluff, Sasuke. You were bluffing, right? Right?

I forgot to mention when it first showed up, but that's a real historical helmet, albeit not one from Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_helmet_of_Henry_VIII

Ok, you all heard the guy, from now on this is a serious straightforward account of the end of warring states period in Japan, no more tea pot aesthetics shenanigans, wrap it all up.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

yo what the gently caress there's thousands of these crustacean comics

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

also i had to add "COMIC" to my search engine query to not just get random dating sites how loving horny are humans even

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Early blind alley seems to have a lot more forward momentum. Interesting to see if they squander it or if the more meandering middle section works better with the groundwork laid by the start of the comic.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who wants to read hell was full. Because that's an option you have, right now!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The lighthouse keeper kind of looks like a gruff hairy Fluter, if anyone's read Vattu.

Emzedoh posted:

I forgot to mention when it first showed up, but that's a real historical helmet, albeit not one from Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_helmet_of_Henry_VIII

Whyyy does this samurai comic feature a helmet given to Henry VIII to commemorate the League of Cambrai (thnx wikipedia). That makes zero sense.
(The war of the league of Cambrai is european history at its most cynical and grimly hilarious btw. It starts out with Pope and France vs Venice, then the Pope switches sides to join Venice against France, and then Venice teams up with France to deal with their true mortal enemy, the Pope.)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tree Bucket posted:

The lighthouse keeper kind of looks like a gruff hairy Fluter, if anyone's read Vattu.

Whyyy does this samurai comic feature a helmet given to Henry VIII to commemorate the League of Cambrai (thnx wikipedia). That makes zero sense.
(The war of the league of Cambrai is european history at its most cynical and grimly hilarious btw. It starts out with Pope and France vs Venice, then the Pope switches sides to join Venice against France, and then Venice teams up with France to deal with their true mortal enemy, the Pope.)

1. It looks super cool
2. Nobunaga was a gigantic Westaboo. Guy loving loved stuff from the west.

Nobunaga famously had other oddities like “promoting people based on talent rather than birth” and “thinking guns were super cool and incorporating them into his military” that made other feudal lords hate him but gave him a serious competitive edge against other leaders of the time

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I think as bean says, rule of cool applies. Nobunaga's getting a really cool scene in the next couple chapters, by the way. As for the League of Cambrai... War! Huh! Good God y'all. What is it good for?

Emzedoh posted:

Has anyone tried a yubari melon? Are they worth it, they're real expensive.

This chapter of the Noble Peasant made me go reread a pile of Silver Spoon, a manga set in an agricultural high school by the same author.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Big Boss why

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I freakin' love this hosed up Japanese farmer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im glad the jocular fellow didnt have to cut his wife's head off.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Me too Synth, me too.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As someone currently living in semi-rural Hokkaido, I want to say thank you for the cow-lady comics.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I don't know if the Hell Was Full comics are being posted in any particular order, but having two separate but adjacent hot-dog themed comics... maybe he was just hungry when he drew them.

CW: suicidal thoughts / ideation

This was one of the pages that was redone, by the way. In the original Lola cuts themselves on the glass when climbing in through that broken window, I guess the author thought that was too close to having explicit self-harm in it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If folks want more Hokkaido-based comics I can recommend Silver Spoon by the same author, where an honor student escapes his problems by going to an agricultural high school in Hokkaido, as well as Wave: Listen To Me (a disaster of a human being falls rear end backwards into doing late night radio) and Golden Kamuy (right after the Ruso-Japanese war, an ex-soldier and a young Ainu girl team up to hunt escaped convicts who have a map to a hidden stash of gold tattooed on them).

Seriously, read Golden Kamuy, at one point a man judo throws a bear

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

I freakin' love this hosed up Japanese farmer.

lol same

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks for the nice comments on the photos. But really it's mostly because Hokkaido is a very pretty place and very much worth the visit.

We did go to one of the touristy yubari melon farm and those things are absurd. I enjoyed it but one of my travel companions who's been to mexico said it's pretty much similar to good cantaloupe there. We didn't eat one of the ridiculously priced ones though so idk

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Opplopolis: the old newspaper eyeholes trick

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Captain Hygiene posted:

Exactly how many comics creators are sneaking around in here, anyway??

I've never created nothing and I'm pretty sure I have a negative impact on other's creations just be existing.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

genuine laugh on this one

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

When did whomp's lettering go to poo poo?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

We did go to one of the touristy yubari melon farm and those things are absurd. I enjoyed it but one of my travel companions who's been to mexico said it's pretty much similar to good cantaloupe there. We didn't eat one of the ridiculously priced ones though so idk

I always wondered what kind of melon that was supposed to be in Pac-Man..

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

yo what the gently caress there's thousands of these crustacean comics

Ha, yeah. Back in 2011 I decided I had to start posting daily or be forever stuck in a loop of working on them a few days in a row and then months of nothing. And then I just never stopped. I do find that it helps a lot to lower the pressure of each individual attempt but to make frequent, consistent attempts. Slow & steady &c.

also i had to add "COMIC" to my search engine query to not just get random dating sites how loving horny are humans even

My understanding is...very, for the most part. Also, sorry if you landed on the terrible blogger site I made in 2011. That's where the full archives are, but it ain't pretty. I do post daily on most of the social platforms, too. Currently twitter and mastodon are the only places I add full image transcriptions/descriptions, for anyone who uses those. Tragically, it's on the facebeast that I've managed to gather the most followers.

ETA: been thinking a lot about A Softer World lately. One of the few good comics I discovered as a sheltered mormon adolescent. This is my favorite one from flipping around the archives this morning:

miracles bring tourists

ChthonicMasturbatr has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jan 21, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ANSU

Fingerpori

The saying is pretty much literally that in Finnish; there isn't a pun there. "Hazel grouse" is "pyy" in Finnish, which is easy and fun to say, which possibly explain why it's used in the saying??

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Your blogger page is navigable and easy to read all of your content. Twitter etc are usually horrible to read comics on so I prefer a dedicated site

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snackmar posted:

I always wondered what kind of melon that was supposed to be in Pac-Man..

same one as in Yoshi's Island

I always chalked it up to "weird Japanese melon" as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 18
Chapter 19