Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tesla paint colors look extremely basic and flat. Like they cranked the RGB value to 255 0 0 and 0 0 255 to get red and blue.

I’d love to get something in forest green. I think Audis are the only cars I see in that color.

Taycan in forest green

Though I prefer Porsche Racing Green Metallic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

as it turns out, that actually is an audi

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

fknlo posted:

Honestly, even the lower credit puts it in the same price range as the corolla so I'm becoming even more interested. I've seen a few people that have a similar commute to me and can make it in winter just fine too. I need to figure out what we're paying for electricity.

Anyone here with a Bolt or Bolt EUV? The EUV with super cruise is kind of tempting and would be in my spending range with the full credit. I don't need it by any means though.

I have a '21 bolt and like it. Drive 15k/yr and it's been flawless except 1 flat (sidewall) tire and the battery recall.

And most importantly, it's blue, so objectively cool and good.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Winnebago is working on electric RVs, they have a prototype based on the Ford Transit https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/this-is-winnebagos-e-transit-based-electric-rv-prototype/ They know the range sucks and say it's just an early prototype, so expect more development in the space.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tesla paint colors look extremely basic and flat. Like they cranked the RGB value to 255 0 0 and 0 0 255 to get red and blue.

I’d love to get something in forest green. I think Audis are the only cars I see in that color.

This was a not-insignificant factor in reserving a Rivian.

But now my opportunity to buy one is in 2024. I'm okay with that for the moment :shrug:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

as it turns out, that actually is an audi

:drat:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Walrusmaster posted:

I have a '21 bolt and like it. Drive 15k/yr and it's been flawless except 1 flat (sidewall) tire and the battery recall.

And most importantly, it's blue, so objectively cool and good.

I like the blue and the red on them. I do that mileage about every 6 months or so.

Looking into the EV credit, I don't think I can get it. My AGI is a bit to high and it looks like it's a hard cut off. So that honestly probably kills that idea for me. There's a chance I'll qualify from last year but I won't know that until I do my taxes and I should have made less last year but I don't think it was enough less. If only it went off taxable income I'd be more than fine.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You could still get it indirectly via leasing if the manufacturer passes it on a cap cost reduction to the lease. In addition based on one of the recent ruling that also allows some of the non-NA assembled manufacturers to still get the EV credit as a lease.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Tiny Timbs posted:

BMW has some nice green's in their portfolio too. If its not a regular color option you can get it added as an individual color for $5000 on most models.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

darnon posted:

You could still get it indirectly via leasing if the manufacturer passes it on a cap cost reduction to the lease.

I'll definitely look into that. Assuming you just talk to the dealer about it?

e: tsp contributions might lower my MAGI? I should talk to an accountant.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 21, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I heard a crunch coming home from work last night, turns out my Leaf lost a hubcap :(

That sucks, sorry.

Cruft jr also lost a LEAF hubcap, I think backing into a curb or something when she was a brand new driver. The replacement wasn't a perfect match but it was close enough that nobody's going to notice unless they are specifically checking to see if the hubcaps are an exact match.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo I wasn’t expecting VA to get me so hard with the EV registration tax. It’s the normal $150 for a three year registration plus an extra $350 because I’m not buying gasoline.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It’s $241 a year here in Georgia for EVs, motorcycles cost that much too.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

fknlo posted:

I'll definitely look into that. Assuming you just talk to the dealer about it?

The manufacturer might list it on their website as part of their lease deals. It sounds like Hyundai/Kia plan on offering it since they increased their forecast of EV leases from 5% to 30% after the decision. VW/Audi appears to be as well. Ford didn't offer it for the Mach-E even when they were eligible for the credit under the old rules (but did for the Escape PHEV) so probably won't. Don't know if GM is planning to.

Of course in general lease calculations suck right now so it might not be as good of a deal as it appears.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

darnon posted:

Ford didn't offer it for the Mach-E even when they were eligible for the credit under the old rules (but did for the Escape PHEV) so probably won't.

Ford offered "Options" on the Mach-E and Lightning, which was a 3-4 year standard loan with a ballon payment and a buyback guarantee for the balloon payment at the end of the loan. So, it's essentially a lease, but a sale so you can take advantage of the tax credit.

I actually took advantage of this, 2.49% interest for 3 years, going to throw the $7,500 into a 2-3 year CD at 4.4%-ish APY and pay the balloon off in cash. So either the car is paid off in 3 years, or the residual value of it just completely tanks and Ford takes it off my hands at their loss and I am left with a bunch of cash to plow into the downpayment of my next car. My plan is to keep the car, like I did for my i3 until right before the end of the battery warranty (8 years) and sell it to the next owner with some time left on the battery warranty so they know they aren't buying it with the most expensive component not under warranty still.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 22, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

3 months remaining on the battery warranty but no charging cable

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Ford offered "Options" on the Mach-E and Lightning, which was a 3-4 year standard loan with a ballon payment and a buyback guarantee for the balloon payment at the end of the loan. So, it's essentially a lease, but a sale so you can take advantage of the tax credit.

I actually took advantage of this, 2.49% interest for 3 years, going to throw the $7,500 into a 2-3 year CD at 4.4%-ish APY and pay the balloon off in cash. So either the car is paid off in 3 years, or the residual value of it just completely tanks and Ford takes it off my hands at their loss and I am left with a bunch of cash to plow into the downpayment of my next car. My plan is to keep the car, like I did for my i3 until right before the end of the battery warranty (8 years) and sell it to the next owner with some time left on the battery warranty so they know they aren't buying it with the most expensive component not under warranty still.

Yeah, but it doesn't "solve" the problem of if your income tax burden wasn't enough for the full credit or now if your income is too high since it's still technically a straight purchase.

They have a similar financing option called Flex I used for my Maverick. The first 36 month payments are reduced 15% and the balloon is essentially pre-financed as 30 more months after that. The overall interest isn't much more and kicks more of the payment down the road to beat inflation since it was while I could still get 1.9%.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got a call from my local Nissan dealership earlier today that my Leaf is overdue for maintenance and they have a great deal for an oil change and tire rotation.

...dude, you've been selling the Leaf for a decade now - how are you still messing up like this?!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You should change the reduction box fluid eventually - I did mine at the ten year mark.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kirios posted:

I got a call from my local Nissan dealership earlier today that my Leaf is overdue for maintenance and they have a great deal for an oil change and tire rotation.

...dude, you've been selling the Leaf for a decade now - how are you still messing up like this?!

You should have take them up on it but only if you can watch.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Polestar 2 refresh specs leaked.

Single motor is now RWD. Long range dual motor has a claimed 592km / 367 mi range(!) Many of the options become standard.

I am praying the prices are in parity with the Model 3. Scuttlebutt is that the announcement will be in the next couple days

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well that’s a big improvement. I get the feeling they’re going to use these specs to justify keeping the price the same, though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Polestar 2 refresh specs leaked.

Single motor is now RWD. Long range dual motor has a claimed 592km / 367 mi range(!) Many of the options become standard.

I am praying the prices are in parity with the Model 3. Scuttlebutt is that the announcement will be in the next couple days

WLTP range so take that with a grain of salt. Based on some just woken up napkin math looks like it’d still get ~15 mi more than my Model 3 LR

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Current single motor WLTP range is about 450km so that’s a pretty large reported increase. (I don’t really understand test differences between TEH and TEL methodology so I just took a reasonable median between them).

Edit: the current LR dual motor is a bit more but it’s still over 100kms increase.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I guess the WLTP is just measuring the wrong thing for EVs. It's purpose is to give as accurate an idea of fuel cost as possible and that's why it uses so much slower speed city driving. With city driving an EV won't get far enough from the home charger to matter. Electricity is so much cheaper that the cost doesn't matter much, it's all about the range in high speed driving.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

3 months remaining on the battery warranty but no charging cable
Literally no one is going to buy that (aside from Ford).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Aptera is apparently deep in enough in the hole for production funding that they're aiming to release a "Launch Edition" that doesn't even have fast charging in order to bootstrap up enough money to redesign the pseudo-car to have fast charging so that normal people will consider buying it. It seems like enough of a desperation move that it's sunk my estimation of them actually making any significant number of vehicles even further.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You get to invest in their company pre-ipo if you buy their electric tricycle! What a deal!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Roadie posted:

Aptera is apparently deep in enough in the hole for production funding that they're aiming to release a "Launch Edition" that doesn't even have fast charging in order to bootstrap up enough money to redesign the pseudo-car to have fast charging so that normal people will consider buying it. It seems like enough of a desperation move that it's sunk my estimation of them actually making any significant number of vehicles even further.
Well that's a bummer. I really want to see if it can deliver on the efficiency numbers they claimed, so I suppose that doesn't require a fast charger as long as someone actually buys one.

Elviscat posted:

You get to invest in their company pre-ipo if you buy their electric tricycle! What a deal!
Sounds more like a kickstarter donation tbh

E: some stuff here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYI5HVCuU0U

They really should've dropped the solar stuff first. Charging at 13 miles per hour on 110v is a joke.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 23, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fast charging is for road trips, is anyone suicidal enough to take one of these things on the highway

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

They really should've dropped the solar stuff first. Charging at 13 miles per hour on 110v is a joke.
I'm with BWBD on this one, this is a car for local use, DCFC really shouldn't matter. The only people considering road tripping these things are Youtubers and absolute idiots (often both).

Charging on 110v is a joke no matter what, if you can't install a L2 charger where your vehicle is parked most nights an EV is not a good idea anyways. That said if you need more range than this car can charge overnight even on 1500 watts this probably is not the car for you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Fast charging is for road trips, is anyone suicidal enough to take one of these things on the highway

I probably would.

I did a lot of bicycling when I was younger. Like, 200+ mile trips. The Aptera seems like it would be at least marginally safer in a collision. Potentially significantly safer.

I also was marginally involved with the annual college solar car race. This looks like a better-built and sturdier version of the cars we used, with a trunk and seating for two. Pretty cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
charging on 120v is fine for many people with a relatively stable routine who don't drive more than ~300 miles per week. A moderately efficient EV can get ~4 mi/hr of range, so that's 50 miles a night plugged in 12 hours. The average US commute is 41 miles round trip.

The Aptera is an even better case since its efficiency is way better than "moderate" at 100 wh/mi. A 120v 15A circuit can deliver 1.4kW so even if you discard the "usual" 400w of inefficiency and consumption to run the car computer, that's 1kW going into the battery per hour so 12 hours overnight gets you 120 miles of range.

edit: missed the actual figure

mobby_6kl posted:

So that's 156 miles overnight.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The next hot tech startup is solar panels that charge at night.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Geothermal charging

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What if you did some kind of mechanical charger where a person could charge the batteries manually. Like some kind of crank system that could harness their muscle power. We could attach that and never need to plug in!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How does the Aptera pass crash tests exactly?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sagebrush posted:

How does the Aptera pass crash tests exactly?

It probably qualifies as a not-a-car. I see gas-powered trikes around here sometimes, and those things look like they wouldn't survive a 5mph bump from a Tahoe. I assume the safety regulations are way different.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol if they've got it categorized as a motorcycle like the Polaris Slingshot. That means in half the states, including California, you'd have to wear a helmet

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My understanding is anything with less than 4 wheels is basically treated as a motorcycle. Trikes and autocycles (Aptera, Slingshot etc) fall in to that group, so there aren't really any crash safety standards to meet.