Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzhu_5OMGco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://twitter.com/_theyaremax_/status/1615351068707196929?t=t30WXmeNj-0ptPCjPogJrQ&s=19

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

The Joshi Hunters, who pose for photos with joshi while pointing at them

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Power Windows posted:

The Joshi Hunters, who pose for photos with joshi while pointing at them

Hey, they didn't say Joshi KILLERS

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Hope it works out better for them than Bullet Club Hunter and Elite Hunter worked for others.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you hunt a category in wrestling hunt something as broad as all of women's wrestling in japan

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 18, 2023

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Really looking forward to someone wearing this in Japan and getting confused stares because "joshi" just means "woman"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ive often considered myself a woman hunter but i am also often times a man hunter

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Crossposting for people that don't read the GDT, TJPW have announced a no-audience show for their 10th Anniversary at Akihabara TwinBox, where they held their very first show. Unfortunately it's a PPV, but at least it's on WU rather than Openrec like the previous ones.

Hopefully they bring back Kanna and Kiba to recreate this photo

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

No audience for an anniversary show? Weird.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Does this mean Kiso will fight again too?
AND DSCHINGHIS KHAN?!?!

Also I can't find the original show on WU, this is a crime

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1616330515518476294

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1616763737536630788

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's weekend, I have time to watch, so I finally subbed to Wrestle Universe. I will initially watch Summer Sun Princess '22 but I'll be interested in recommendations of all kind, especially if they include Konosuke Takeshita or Miyu Yamashita in bangers.

Trip report:
- The Android app sideloads onto an nVidia Shield well enough, but the login doesn't work. Either it doesn't recognize the remote's click as a touch, or it can't pop up the login text prompts for some reason. Unless anyone has a trick for this, this feels like a non-starter. Maybe there would be some way of getting the cached login info from an Android phone and manually upload it to the Shield to get around this but that feels like a lot of work and might not even work in the first place.
- The website version casts just fine to the Shield (or my WebOS TV, which supports casting) although my old laptop struggles to keep the framerate up while casting.
- The Android app on my phone casts perfectly well to the Shield or my TV, right from the application itself. I guess I can also try to cast from an iPad to the TV to cover all my bases, but this feels like the best solution so far.
(E: also casts perfectly well from an iPad)

I have to say I was not expecting to see a choreographed song and dance number at the start of a wrestling show!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 21, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I have to say I was not expecting to see a choreographed song and dance number at the start of a wrestling show!

Make sure you pick your favourite Up Up Girl

And remember to say hi to Namba :hai:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If you enjoyed it, then great, Up Up Girls start pretty much every show (even the tiny ones) with a song and dance. If you didn't enjoy it, then be prepared to tune in 10 minutes or so after the scheduled start time.

Some recommendations quickly scanning my MOTYC spreadsheets
- Takeshita vs Jun Akiyama (Wrestle Peter Pan August 21st 2021)
- Takeshita vs Chris Brookes (Never Mind September 26th 2021)
- Takeshita vs Yuki Ueno (D-Oh Finals December 5th 2021)
- Takeshita vs Kazusada Higuchi (Who's Gonna Top? September 25th 2022)
Also he had a great 2021 tag league with Shunma Katsumata

- Yamashita vs Maki Itoh (January 4th 2021) (I'm biased about this one since this was the first TJPW show I watched)
- Yamashita vs Yuka Sakazaki (CyberFight Festival June 6th 2021)
- Yamashita vs Maki Itoh (Wrestle Princess II October 8th 2021)
- Yamashita vs Mizuki (January 4th 2022)
- Yamashita vs Miu Watanabe (Princess Cup Semi Finals August 13th 2022)
- Yamashita vs Yuka Sakazaki (January 4th 2023)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

Make sure you pick your favourite Up Up Girl

Miu Watanabe obviously!

SG Bamboo posted:

If you enjoyed it, then great, Up Up Girls start pretty much every show (even the tiny ones) with a song and dance. If you didn't enjoy it, then be prepared to tune in 10 minutes or so after the scheduled start time.

It wasn't bad! Just a bit surprising because this is my first TJPW show. Thanks for the recommendations!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Miu Watanabe obviously!

Raku would have also been an acceptable answer. Depending on whether they remember to connect her mic, Hikari can range anywhere from sounding pretty good to mouthing along to the backing track

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Miu Watanabe obviously!

It's all about L O V E :haibrow:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is a hell of a show so far and I'm only three matches in. It shouldn't surprise me anymore having seen the joshis in AEW but god drat these ladies work SNUG. The first match was just two people beating the poo poo out of each other and that's kinda been the style all night long.

Some questions:

- I guess the roaming camera they use for entrances, crowd shots etc is wireless, or is there some other reason for why it's seemingly like 240p?
- Why does Hyper Misao carry a box around with her?
- What is Pom Harajuku's gimmick? Aside from being very excited and shouty?
- Is Haruna Neko's gimmick just "cat girl"? Or possibly just "cat"?
- How cool is Ryo Mizunami's entrance gear? God drat!
- Is it just me or does the TJPW audience feel louder in general than at NJPW shows? Is it just a cultural difference between the promotions, or something?

As much as I love Claudio's giant swing, he ain't got poo poo on Miu swinging Ryo Mizunami. Good lord.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 21, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is a hell of a show so far and I'm only three matches in. It shouldn't surprise me anymore having seen the joshis in AEW but god drat these ladies work SNUG. The first match was just two people beating the poo poo out of each other and that's kinda been the style all night long.

Some questions:

- I guess the roaming camera they use for entrances, crowd shots etc is wireless, or is there some other reason for why it's seemingly like 240p?
- Why does Hyper Misao carry a box around with her?
- Is Haruna Neko's gimmick just "cat girl"? Or possibly just "cat"?
- How cool is Ryo Mizunami's entrance gear? God drat!
- Is it just me or does the TJPW audience feel louder in general than at NJPW shows? Is it just a cultural difference between the promotions, or something?

As much as I love Claudio's giant swing, he ain't got poo poo on Miu swinging Ryo Mizunami. Good lord.

-I think this was a technical issue, never seen that before or since
-In her older years, Aja Kong has taken to bringing a trash can with her and using it as a signature attack. Hyper Misao made a TJPW can to give her as a gift (it was a ruse! Dastardly Hyper Misao!)
-Harajuku is a neighborhood in Tokyo that has a really garish/loud fashion style. Pom is derived from that fashion sense, both in character and dress. Her outfit used to be very reminiscent of a clown. Her main wrestling gimmick is invincible shins
-CAT!
-IT'S A loving HOUSE PARTY
-I think this may have something to do with venue size but it's just a guess

Also, Malakai Black has said Miyu's buzzsaw kick is better than the Black Mass

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

She kicks people's shins as well. If I was to summarise her character I would say "goofy loud clown girl"

Hyper Misao does not always carry a box, but when she does I imagine it's filled with lots of things she will use to cheat with

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Pom is an eternal toddler, the living embodiment of youthful cuteness and whimsy. She is the Queen of Shin Style, as much of her offense revolves around kicking opponents in the shins as a small child might. (Bent-over opponents are easier prey for her step-up guillotine legdrop finisher.)

https://twitter.com/sadjabroni/status/1429134121310228485?t=8U1fZgxb6zP3g9m-9Q1GvA&s=09

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

this kid is nuts posted:

She kicks people's shins as well. If I was to summarise her character I would say "goofy loud clown girl"

Hyper Misao does not always carry a box, but when she does I imagine it's filled with lots of things she will use to cheat with

In my DnD groups, whenever a clown is involved or somebody dressed very garishly appears, we always use a picture of Pom in her old outfit with a different head pasted on

E: i can't help but yell POM DE JUSTICE any time Kiera Hogan does the step up leg drop

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo Mei Suruga owns.

Does she really have a move called "Apple Mutilation"? That's amazing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Mei is a goddamned marvel.

If you haven't watched her in her true home, ChocoPro, it is strongly encouraged:

https://youtube.com/@gatohmove

as there, you can bear witness to Mei using every centimeter of our favorite former-dentist's-waiting-room arena to her advantage, learn of the horror that is Gon the Fox, behold monster attacks on the regular and join us in our adoration of Lulu Pencil, the star that shone too brightly to remain.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Does she really have a move called "Apple Mutilation"? That's amazing.

Mei does, in fact, own.

I submit to you a Chocopro match between her and Ryo Mizunami (falls count anywhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbiWEMPet94

Entrances start at 19 minutes

Chocopro has a very specific aesthetic, but if it doesn't bother you too much, they do absolute gold sometimes

E: if the dentist office is not your thing, I'll submit this one in a more conventional setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9soszZif-E
1:24:15 for entrances

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 21, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Mei Suruga is fantastic.

That dastardly Mei Sant-Michel though, you're lucky she's back in France :argh:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is a crucial part of the success of Japanese women's wrestling through out the ages. Every boom period the history of Joshi wrestling coincides with the reintroduction of song and dance to the ring.

Beauty Pair (The 70s Boom)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYIjEsQQ4E

The Crush Gals (The 80s Boom)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFRXJu99n78

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2023

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyVwdDYXzgQ&t=25s

go to 1:08

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's so many layers to this
https://twitter.com/EricSturrock/status/1616831312220008450

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HOLY gently caress

Man, TJPW is loving awesome. Not a single bad match on the card and most of them were bangers. I really love the style, and picked up wrestlers I really liked from drat near every match. Looks like Wrestle-Universe was money very well spent.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yeah, Teej big shows very rarely miss, I was in on the promotion pretty much immediately when I started watching a couple of years ago, and although the small shows rarely have anything blow away great they're always a breezy watch. The small roster (around 25) means all your favourites are going to be on every show and goes a long way to getting me invested in the core ethos of the promotion that everyone is working together to slowly improve themselves, and means I dig the little story beats like Endo becoming more comfortable with using the Double Jump dropkick or Moka finally submitting someone, or higher up the card with Itoh getting ever closer to defeating Miyu in a singles match.

I also enjoy as a viewer the evolution of gear (or going back to old gear when they're running two days in a row, I fell in love with Raku when she brought three different outfits to Princess Cup rather than do laundry) as people develop, as well as little things like the scraps of cloth Hikari has hanging on her hip in reference to her old partner Sena Shiori who had to retire due to illness.

I just really enjoy the promotion, in terms of in ring the ceiling is rarely as high as other promotions but the floor is also way higher, even the nothing shows are super easy to watch and always leave me thinking they were worthwhile time spent.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What on earth

https://i.imgur.com/Ms8XGau.mp4

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah, the loving French :argh:

I miss them, the entire lineup coming out at Grand Princess last year still gets me hype

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Wrestle Universe is definitely a bang for the buck value if you want a lot of wrestling content. There's almost an overwhelming amount of stuff to watch on there that runs the entire spectrum of wrestling.

Also you should definitely consider looking in to ChocoPro. They are the sleeper cell of wrestling. ChocoPro/Gatoh Move regulars and associated people are all over the goddamn place, not just in Japan. They get all sorts of people rolling through to guest wrestle, and Mei only bites some of them and only waterboarded one so far!

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 21, 2023

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Oh also if you want to get some deeper character intros for a few of the TJPW wrestlers, check out NeoJoshizzle's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@neojoshizzle

He was previously just Joshizzle on YouTube, but his channel got nuked because of copyright stuff. His original video on Maki Itoh was one of the things that helped make her popular overseas.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
A hearty round of congratulations to Waka Tsukiyama, who persevered and found a way to at least not lose.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Waka_Mm3/status/1616846425161367552

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I told you she was a monster! :argh:

SG Bamboo posted:

Ah, the loving French :argh:

But they're so elegant and cosmopolitan :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Wrestle Universe is definitely a bang for the buck value if you want a lot of wrestling content. There's almost an overwhelming amount of stuff to watch on there that runs the entire spectrum of wrestling.

As always I recommend people check out Ganbare Pro, it's got that low rent Indie aesthetic but has a lot of heart, and I thought their big show at Ota Ward last year (with English commentary) was fantastic. To keep it relevant to the thread they also have a handful of good quality women wrestlers. Harukaze is whatever but Yoppy and YuuRI are improving every match, Haruhi has a great look and confidence while Yuna Manase is a fantastic Joshi hoss when she needs to put the effort in