Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wippersnapper posted:

https://twitter.com/thomasdouglas30/status/1616640842760097792?s=46&t=YA0GOSozuQuT6O51FTX0iQ

The Canucks are an absolute embarrassment. Guy brings in a sign in support of the current coach who you’re hanging out to dry and you confiscate it?

Yeah the intensity of hatred JR has for Boudreau is really loving weird

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's going well in Vancouver.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1616654930605133824

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Altitude is such a funny, low-rent network. I don’t even know how you get a mouse cursor on the screen for a full 10 seconds on a live TV broadcast. I’ve never seen that before

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Roughly 1 game per year, Altitude will forget to cut to commercial at a commercial break it just broadcast through it. happened this season about a month and a half ago, left the broadcast on an on-ice camera and you could hear the broadcasters talking

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

fermun posted:

Roughly 1 game per year, Altitude will forget to cut to commercial at a commercial break it just broadcast through it. happened this season about a month and a half ago, left the broadcast on an on-ice camera and you could hear the broadcasters talking

On the streaming apps this happens quite a bit for me, as being international you don’t get shown the adds so sometimes the ‘returning soon’ overlay doesn’t go up properly.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1616692275949756417

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 21, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VOTE1 posted:

On the streaming apps this happens quite a bit for me, as being international you don’t get shown the adds so sometimes the ‘returning soon’ overlay doesn’t go up properly.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1616692275949756417

I 100% approve of Bruce clowning on the Canucks on the way out. Insane how the Canucks have handled this so poorly that the coach of a team that's out of playoff contention by January has the full sympathy of the fanbase and the media. It should have been the easiest thing in the world to fire Boudreau the right way.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Starsfan posted:

I 100% approve of Bruce clowning on the Canucks on the way out. Insane how the Canucks have handled this so poorly that the coach of a team that's out of playoff contention by January has the full sympathy of the fanbase and the media. It should have been the easiest thing in the world to fire Boudreau the right way.

Yeah, JR saying they’ve been looking for a new coach for 2+ months now is bush league, last weekend Elliotte Friedman all but announced Rick Tocchet’s the next Canucks coach….what’s the hold up?

Why leave Bruce twisting in the wind?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
look up meddling owners in the dictionary and you'll see Franko's greezy mug staying back at you along for gabagool

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 21, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah, JR saying they’ve been looking for a new coach for 2+ months now is bush league, last weekend Elliotte Friedman all but announced Rick Tocchet’s the next Canucks coach….what’s the hold up?

Tocchett had to give a 4 week notice at his current tv job.

Now, they could have just fired Bruce and have an interim. The argument against that (outside of the morale side) is that a lot of times you get in a new coach, even interim, and the change kick starts the team to play better and win more. Which, if you are trying to actually tank, is no good.

The reason why that whole paragraph I just posted is irrelevant here, is that the interim coach Vancouver would have is Mike loving Yeo. Who is a very bad coach. So it’s extremely stupid because they could have done the interim coach 1-3 months ago and still have lost a bunch of games. Not like their roster is good anyway.

Also, all this for Tocchet is funny since it’s not like he did some amazing job in Arizona. But I assume he’s friends with JR , so there you go.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's no world in which Rick Tocchet is a better coach than Bruce

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I’m sure Trevor Linden feels vindicated for calling for a rebuild the year after the Sedins left. Too bad AquaMan fired him for it and there’s been ~6 years of retooling

It’s funny how the bubble playoffs convinced Canucks ownership they had a contender lol

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's no world in which Rick Tocchet is a better coach than Bruce

There is a world where Bruce is better on TV than Rick.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Athletic has a piece on potential Horvat destinations:

quote:

Colleagues Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal reported last month that Vancouver would ideally like to acquire young centres or right-shot defenders

Carolina Hurricanes: The Canes have failed in the playoffs multiple times due to their lack of goal-scoring in key moments. Horvat could be the missing piece as a clutch, elite finisher. Carolina’s need for a top scorer is even higher now that Max Pacioretty tore his Achilles again.

Horvat would slide in perfectly into the second-line centre role. Jesperi Kotkaniemi didn’t show the offensive upside necessary to hang there at the start of the season and the Hurricanes don’t have many other internal options. Carolina’s power-play ranks 26th in the NHL this season so Horvat could give a much-needed jolt there and at five-on-five.

The Canucks should be all over the idea of landing an impact player like Seth Jarvis or Martin Necas that can help now, but it’s hard to see why Carolina would move either given their long-term importance.

The Hurricanes do boast Scott Morrow, an intriguing 6-foot-2 right-shot puck moving defenseman with second pair upside. He was a second-round pick in 2021 and has performed well in the NCAA. A package including Morrow and other premium assets could be enticing.

Boston Bruins: Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci won’t be around forever so this could be a golden chance for the Bruins. Horvat would give an already-stacked roster a big boost in what could be a final year to push for the Cup with Bergeron plus long-term help if they’re able to sign him to an extension.

The fit is almost perfect but there are a couple of important considerations.

For starters, do the Bruins have the requisite cap flexibility to re-sign Horvat? Boston is projected to have $21.8 million in cap space this summer with just 13 players signed according to CapFriendly, and that doesn’t even include Pastrnak, who’s going to command a massive dollar figure. In other words, you could be looking at around $11 million left over for Horvat and several other roster spots. It’s doable if you move other money around but definitely tight.

The biggest complication, however, could be the Bruins’ lack of assets. Boston’s prospects pool is one of the worst in the league, with Fabian Lysell standing out as the club’s only blue-chip prospect. Lysell’s an exciting player, having notched 21 points in 24 AHL games this season at just 20, but he’s a right-winger, which isn’t ideal for the Canucks. The Bruins have all their first-round picks intact and Matthew Poitras is a centre prospect the Bruins drafted in the second round last year.

Winnipeg Jets: The Western Conference, which was already weak to begin with, is as wide open as it’s ever been. Colorado’s hampered and doesn’t look the same, Calgary and Edmonton have disappointed, St. Louis isn’t in the mix anymore and while Vegas started hot, they’ve come back down to Earth. New contenders have a chance to take advantage and that includes the Jets, who sit second in the West behind the Dallas Stars.

Winnipeg’s set down the middle for now but Pierre-Luc Dubois made it clear last summer that he intends to test free agency in 2024. All he has to do is go to arbitration or accept his qualifying offer this summer to initiate that path. Unless there’s been a change of heart, the Jets will need to replace Dubois at centre.

Horvat would check two boxes: He’d give the Jets a chance to push for the Cup this season, especially considering the weak West, and if he’s willing to re-sign, it would give them a chance to trade Dubois at some point down the line without skipping a beat.

Colorado Avalanche: Similar to Carolina, the Avs haven’t found the right 2C fit yet. Alex Newhook isn’t ready, and while J.T. Compher’s breaking out with an excellent offensive season, Colorado could really use another high-end centre. Horvat would be the perfect successor for Nazem Kadri. He’d fit like a glove in the bumper of the first unit power-play, and can you imagine the nightmare that a second line with Horvat, Valeri Nichushkin and Gabriel Landeskog would pose once those wingers are healthy?

The Avs may not be able to justify giving up a huge package for Horvat given their injuries and uncertain playoff status though. Colorado has the assets to complete a trade if they wanted — Newhook’s a young centre with potential and they still own all their first-round picks, but giving up those kinds of pieces might only make sense if they view Horvat as a long-term fit. The Avs’ cap situation would be tight regarding a potential extension.

Minnesota Wild: No team needs a top centre quite as much as the Wild. Bill Guerin’s built a talented, deep roster but Sam Steel has spent most of the year centering the first line with Kirill Kaprizov and Mats Zuccarello. Having Horvat’s sharp shooting flanked by two elite playmakers is a tantalizing proposition, especially considering his ability to bring the size, edge and dirty work for that line.

Minnesota almost definitely can’t afford Horvat beyond this season so he’d be a pure rental. The Wild have a ton of attractive prospects — Brock Faber and Carson Lambos are standouts among the defensemen and Marat Khusnutdinov is an intriguing young centre.

Seattle Kraken: The Kraken seem like an odd fit on the surface — they already score a ton of goals and should be set at centre with Matty Beniers and Shane Wright. But Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman identified Seattle as a strong contender for Horvat’s services if they believe they can complete an extension. Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli linked Seattle with Horvat as well.

The Kraken could follow Vegas’ model of chasing success and big-name players immediately rather than taking the long view to roster building, especially with the way they’re surging in a wide-open Western Conference.

Edmonton Oilers: Edmonton’s top need is on the backend. The Oilers don’t seem particularly interested in Jakob Chychrun though which doesn’t leave many impact top-four defenders. That could create a scenario where the club makes a depth acquisition on the blueline and instead pushes the big chips in for a player like Horvat. Is that the most sensible option? Probably not. Could the Oilers still be interested in Horvat? My Oilers colleague Daniel Nugent-Bowman seemed to think so.

Edmonton’s been overly reliant on the big guns to score: Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Zach Hyman and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have been doing all the heavy lifting with not much secondary support. Evander Kane’s return will help with that. Acquiring Horvat would give the Oilers the luxury of pairing McDavid and Draisaitl together, who are unstoppable when on the same line, without worrying about how the second and third lines would fare.

My biggest question: Would the Canucks and their ownership group entertain the idea of shipping a captain and face of the franchise-type player to a divisional rival like Edmonton?

Detroit Red Wings: By signing Andrew Copp, Ben Chiarot, Ville Husso, David Perron and Dominik Kubalik among others this offseason, the Red Wings showed an intent to take the next step. Their days of bottoming out are over — it’s time to accelerate forward. There would obviously be zero point in Detroit acquiring Horvat as a rental but he’d make some sense if the club was confident they could lock him up long-term. Dylan Larkin’s a pending UFA and whether he re-signs or not, the Red Wings could use another top-flight centre. Copp’s filling the 2C spot now but he’s probably not a second-line centre on a future contender.

I wouldn’t pay top price in assets or an extension for Horvat if I was in Detroit’s position, especially with Marco Kasper arriving soon, but Frank Seravalli has identified the Red Wings as a club that has inquired about Horvat.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1616819529757114370?t=6VlXMjmTwW0C9-M18B3bqw&s=19

Come on 2 top 5 picks baby

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
All the Canucks had to do was not let information leak.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koth posted:

In a rabid hockey market it was always going to. What they should be doing is recognizing that and moving quickly and decisively to control the narrative. That's media 101 and somehow they keep failing that.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Koth posted:

One of the issues with running a toxic workplace is that it’s really hard to maintain confidentiality and discipline if even a few people hate your guts and want you to fail, and I imagine JR is not universally popular

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Paracaidas posted:

buccigross tweeted this yesterday - https://twitter.com/buccigross/status/1616646490461736963?s=21

so it's going to be wright for horvat guaranteed ez

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
I'm actually surprised it leaked this late if there was a 4 week wait

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

I can't imagine any coach with an ounce of self-respect will ever consider working for Aquilini or JR after the way they've treated Boudreau.

Which is how we end up with Rick Tocchet, I suppose

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't imagine any coach with an ounce of self-respect will ever consider working for Aquilini or JR after the way they've treated Boudreau.

There's always Babcock next

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

With only 32 head coach positions in the NHL, every team is gonna have a long line of people wanting to prove themselves no matter how toxic the organization is.

USA hockey alone lists 35k coaches in the country. Obviously none of them are going to be NHL ready but the point is there are a lot more coaches than jobs out there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah and no-hopers like Tocchet and Johnstonesque randos from the minors/juniors are the only coaches the Canucks will ever have going forward. No coach that gets a call from even one other NHL team is going to return a call from the Canucks now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Look, when you can get a guy who missed the playoffs 6/7 years he's had a head coaching position, you don't wait to snatch him up

he was a pretty good powerplay coach though

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

heehee posted:

buccigross tweeted this yesterday - https://twitter.com/buccigross/status/1616646490461736963?s=21

so it's going to be wright for horvat guaranteed ez

I'd trust a NHL rumor from Tancredi Palmeri before I took anything Buccigross had seriously lmao.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm sure if Seattle has shown interest in Horvat, the Canucks have brought up Shane Wright's name. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. At the same time I'm equally sure that Seattle's response was a curt "no" and the conversation ended there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Happy hockey day in Canada, everyone

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

I'm sure if Seattle has shown interest in Horvat, the Canucks have brought up Shane Wright's name. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. At the same time I'm equally sure that Seattle's response was a curt "no" and the conversation ended there.

This is a very plausible scenario because it makes both front offices look like morons.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m sure Trevor Linden feels vindicated for calling for a rebuild the year after the Sedins left. Too bad AquaMan fired him for it and there’s been ~6 years of retooling

It’s funny how the bubble playoffs convinced Canucks ownership they had a contender lol

The Habs made that mistake but thankfully we at least had a past lesson that the whole team was smoke and mirrors + a HOF goalie. A whole season of the various teams owned by Canadian oligarchs who've never really had to be good at anything in their lives competing against each other and guaranteed playoff wins was bound to lead to someone thinking they were way way way smarter than they were

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Don't worry Vancouver, you'll have Gallant in a year or two. It'll be great (for a season).

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Paracaidas posted:

will be extremely interesting if the wings cant sign larkin and move him at the deadline, have to figure all the teams in on horvat would be in on him too

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

God drat, him and Suzuki have been the only reason to actually watch games this year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Canucks will demand Wright + 1st and end up with Kotkaniemi + 2nd.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

God drat, him and Suzuki have been the only reason to actually watch games this year.

Primarily, yeah, but it's also fun to see Xhekaj be insanely aggro and Guhle being already so competent is impressive.
Get them picks babyyy

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Sharks, Canucks, Blackhawks, and Blues are interesting in that they collectively control probably the 8/10 top deadline assets this year: Meier, EK, Horvat, Boeser, Kane, Toews, ROR, Tarasenko. I wonder if any of them will move both dudes, probably the most likely candidate would be the Blackhawks.

Along with those guys it's like Chychrun and Klingberg probably? Maybe Tyler Bertuzzi? Man I hope the Devils don't end with (another) sexpest/chud instead of someone cool to root for like Meier.

e: and I think the Canucks can probably get a 1st or top 3 org prospect from some team, but not both. You gotta be scared as any seller after seeing what Chicago got for a two years from UFA DeBrincat although maybe you just chock that up to lolChicago (probably not though, I think it's just a leaguewide trend to hold on to cap friendly assets for dear life).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 21, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens should be interested in Horvat since 3c is a big weakness for them and they have no insurance right now at all if Crosby or Malkin get hurt.

It would require salary out for them though so they might have to overpay to make it happen. But he would fill a big need.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh I guess Henrique seems like a solid pickup this year, he's probably been Anaheim's best all around player this year and is ~ultimate clutch~

Nyquist too if you think he has any semblance of hockey left in him

e: honestly if the price for Horvat/Meier is nuts, Henrique would be a perfectly fine pickup for the Devils, can play up and down the lineup, can play multiple positions, still a positive player out there and likely wouldn't cost much

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

The Sharks, Canucks, Blackhawks, and Blues are interesting in that they collectively control probably the 8/10 top deadline assets this year: Meier, EK, Horvat, Boeser, Kane, Toews, ROR, Tarasenko. I wonder if any of them will move both dudes, probably the most likely candidate would be the Blackhawks.

Along with those guys it's like Chychrun and Klingberg probably? Maybe Tyler Bertuzzi? Man I hope the Devils don't end with (another) sexpest/chud instead of someone cool to root for like Meier.

e: and I think the Canucks can probably get a 1st or top 3 org prospect from some team, but not both. You gotta be scared as any seller after seeing what Chicago got for a two years from UFA DeBrincat although maybe you just chock that up to lolChicago (probably not though, I think it's just a leaguewide trend to hold on to cap friendly assets for dear life).

You can have Boeser for free.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Oh I guess Henrique seems like a solid pickup this year, he's probably been Anaheim's best all around player this year and is ~ultimate clutch~

Nyquist too if you think he has any semblance of hockey left in him

e: honestly if the price for Horvat/Meier is nuts, Henrique would be a perfectly fine pickup for the Devils, can play up and down the lineup, can play multiple positions, still a positive player out there and likely wouldn't cost much

I was thinking this too. I'd welcome his return.

Devils have inquired on Nyquist. He'd be okay but eh underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

You can have Boeser for free.

Honestly I'd rather have Garland.

Boeser is a sad one for me, I was really high on him after that rookie year (I guess most everyone was), he looked like a sure bet to pop in 30 a year on Pete's wing, and he just...never took that next step. And now he seems to be going backwards fast at 25.

e: actually gimme Quinn, Nemec and a first let's go baby

fawning deference posted:

I was thinking this too. I'd welcome his return.

Devils have inquired on Nyquist. He'd be okay but eh underwhelming.

Yeah Henrique should definitely be a target. Honestly think Garland at 4.9 is pretty much fine, and that he could be money with Jack if he got a good run there. Mercer-Hughes-Garland would be dope

This is a projection from when he signed that deal, I still think he could get close to this in the right situation:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1420061431173730305/photo/1

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 21, 2023