Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The manual base Corolla has rev-matching, right? I remember reading it was a pretty great stick shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fellatio del Toro posted:

yeah, feels weird saying this, but if I didn't care about cars being fun the new Prius might have been at the top of my list for a next car

The one major downside that will continue to exist is dogshit performance, which is obviously the trade off for magic MPG with Dino juice. In Doug’s video every acceleration seemed painful and sad, and current gen is much worse. But of course, it’s not dangerously slow, few cars are, and most drivers don’t care.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Prius's tested performance seems respectable. Car and Driver recorded a 7.1s 0-60 time, and 8.1s in the 5-60/street start. These figures are only a half-second slower than the new Civic Si. The Prius also notched 0.87g on its all-season rubber in the skidpad, which matches the 0.86g a first-gen 86 got on all-season rubber.

But raw performance does not equal fun, and while the newest Toyotas are much improved dynamically, I still wouldn't call them fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That 86 and Prius had the exact same tires, makes sense in that skid pad performance is almost always only limited by the tires they are on. A lot of OEM cars sit on the bumpstops in steady state cornering.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

The manual base Corolla has rev-matching, right? I remember reading it was a pretty great stick shift.

It is, and it’s great. Recently got a gr and it’s more wicked cool, but the e210 se w/ manual is a fun car. Both transmissions are great, notchy/mechanical feeling, good throws, good weight

The base has a tiny amount of rev hang, nothing in gr

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

You’re going to miss the cavernous hatch but that Corolla seems to solve one of my big complaints with the Fit which is cabin noise. According to savagegeese, Corolla hatch is really quiet for its class.

Also yay more bikes yes yes yes

I wonder if the US market Corolla has better NVH or something, because the EU Corolla is one of the worst in its class when it comes to cabin noise. Every Toyota I've driven (newer and older) have been mediocre at best in that regard, come to think of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The hatch was ridiculous on the Fit, I never ended up doing it but you could squeeze an air mattress back there and camp out.

They had two used Corolla hatchbacks on the lot to look at and get a feel for and it hit all the main practical points we were looking for. We'd been talking about this for like a year and realized the market's probably not going to get better anytime soon so if something pops up we should take it, and now's a good time to sell our used cars.

One thing that caught my eye on the Corolla is it comes standard with paddle shifters, which I haven't used much but coming from all manuals seems like a fun way to pretend to shift when the mood strikes me!
I got some sort of foam mattress from Ikea for like :10bux: and with a sleeping bag it's perfect for stealth-camping in a city :)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I wonder if the US market Corolla has better NVH or something, because the EU Corolla is one of the worst in its class when it comes to cabin noise. Every Toyota I've driven (newer and older) have been mediocre at best in that regard, come to think of it.
Maybe it's the first gen Jazz being so terrible in that regards, but the rental Aygo I had felt like an S-class in comparison.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

I got some sort of foam mattress from Ikea for like :10bux: and with a sleeping bag it's perfect for stealth-camping in a city :)

I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter, can you say more about how you do this or what this means? I just have a small car but have thought about in the warmer months going fun places and sleeping in it for a night. I would buy a Suburban or something and do it with that but big cars are hella more pricey.

e: it’s a sedan not a hatch which seems to mostly kill this idea.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Residency Evil posted:

:shrug: One is a performance hatchback produced in very low volumes geared towards an enthusiast buyer. The other is geared towards fuel economy and meant to be produced in mass quantities. I doubt the overlap of buyers cross shopping the two is significant.

Toyota seems to think that the Prius is a niche vehicle again: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42231906/toyota-doesnt-expect-to-sell-many-more-prius/.

The 2022 Prius did not sell great, it got out-sold by among other things the Mitsubishi Outlander, the Corvette, Escalades, and a ton of other cars that I don't think of as huge sellers. The Prius is not even dominant in its category anymore, 2022 saw 33k Prius sales to 29k Kia Niro sales: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2022-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-model/.

It sucks, because I'm interested in this new Prius gen, but not if they're marked up over MSRP for years to come.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 22, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter, can you say more about how you do this or what this means? I just have a small car but have thought about in the warmer months going fun places and sleeping in it for a night. I would buy a Suburban or something and do it with that but big cars are hella more pricey.

e: it’s a sedan not a hatch which seems to mostly kill this idea.
If the rear seats fold down it could be still doable though a hatchback is obviously better. The Fit is pretty small but the seats fold completely flat which is what makes it work so well. Obviously a giant SUV or a van would have more space but the Fit is what I had, plus it's cheap to run and easy to park.

But yeah it's just what it sounds like. I once needed to take an early morning flight from a different city and to avoid driving through the middle of the night or paying for a hotel just to sleep for a few hours I took a sleeping bag and ikea mattress and parked in a residential area with a direct road to the airport.

After that I tried it a few times just for fun, and it's pretty neat because you can just drive around doing stuff and not worry if there's a campsite (I was never into actual camping so finding out they can all just sell out the hard way wasn't cool) or a reasonable hotel near where you might end up.

No special gear though you could set something up if you wanted to do it more. I kind of want to do a WFH thing (inverter + battery + solar panel) and gently caress off to the Balkans in like late spring before it gets hot for a at least a few weeks.

Twerk from Home posted:

Toyota seems to think that the Prius is a niche vehicle again: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42231906/toyota-doesnt-expect-to-sell-many-more-prius/.

The 2022 Prius did not sell great, it got out-sold by among other things the Mitsubishi Outlander, the Corvette, and a ton of other cars that I don't think of as huge sellers. The Prius is not even dominant in its category anymore, 2022 saw 33k Prius sales to 29k Kia Niro sales: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2022-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-model/.

It sucks, because I'm interested in this new Prius gen, but not if they're marked up over MSRP for years to come.

Gas cheap me buy truck

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I mean this new Prius redesign was probably intended to bring back attention to the nameplate and reverse slowing sales.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

But raw performance does not equal fun, and while the newest Toyotas are much improved dynamically, I still wouldn't call them fun.

I’ll take ‘much improved but boring’ over the ‘loathe every minute behind the wheel’ dynamics of some of the older models.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

no lube so what posted:

It is, and it’s great. Recently got a gr and it’s more wicked cool, but the e210 se w/ manual is a fun car. Both transmissions are great, notchy/mechanical feeling, good throws, good weight

Yeah but the problem is the engine. No powerband whatsoever and slow as poo poo, I was thoroughly disappointed when I test drove one.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah but the problem is the engine. No powerband whatsoever and slow as poo poo, I was thoroughly disappointed when I test drove one.

Yeah, 160hp/3200lb isn’t good. Na Miata type power/weight. If you’d take it towards redline, It was fun. The power kinda boiled and was fine from 4.5-redline.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the previous generation prius was one of the ugliest cars on the road. this one fixes that problem right up

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah the Prius is a great car and I think if there’s any limit to whether you get one it has more to do with the supply chain crisis and the growing demand for fuel efficient cars with higher gas prices.

I’m betting you can probably get one at MSRP or slightly less within a year

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah the Prius is a great car and I think if there’s any limit to whether you get one it has more to do with the supply chain crisis and the growing demand for fuel efficient cars with higher gas prices.

I’m betting you can probably get one at MSRP or slightly less within a year

I kinda doubt that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

That sheet feels like it was created specifically by a dealer to scare people into paying whatever insane markups the dealer was charging

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What, the Excel table formatting doesn't look official enough?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The fact that it’s in an excel table makes me more inclined to believe it’s real

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

just from periodically looking at dealership websites, places that had like 5-10 cars listed a year ago have 30-80 now, and considering the layoffs and hiring freezes going around I only see that number going up

hell, there's a GR Corolla near me with only 2k markup

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I kinda doubt that.

5 year lead time for a Sienna? lmao what the gently caress is that dealer smoking

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
dealershit owner trying to squeeze a 3rd vacation house and boat in before the crash.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

5 year lead time for a Sienna? lmao what the gently caress is that dealer smoking

“Our waitlist has 100 people on it and our allocation is only 20 vehicles so…”

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The fact that it’s in an excel table makes me more inclined to believe it’s real

it's still too nice looking for an oem communication, dealer probably cobbled it together from a bunch of text exports

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
I tried to get on the waitlist for a rav4 prime and they denied me, saying the waitlist is already longer than the rest of the model run and they can’t take reservations for the next gen that doesn’t even exist yet.

Maybe I’ll be able to get a used one from some poor gently caress who paid 60k for it and can’t afford the payments anymore

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Scrungus posted:

Maybe I’ll be able to get a used one from some poor gently caress who paid 60k for it and can’t afford the payments anymore

Yeah sure you can, for $58k with 60k miles lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
E: nm

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Lots of cases of Coors Lite, Monster and Hot Pockets?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So my Cars and Bids auction ended 2 weeks ago. Dude was supposed to come pick it up last week, but had to delay a week because "his paycheck wasn't what he expected". Apparently the buyer took out a loan to ensure he'd have my money this week, he wants me to text a photo of the title to his credit union for the loan lol.

Now he just texted me saying he needs to pick it up on a different day than we agreed, will be a few hours away for work and is going to get a U-Haul to bring the wagon home but he asked if I'd be willing to pick him up so he could get a UHaul from somewhere near me to save a little money. Nah dude I'm not doing a 7 hour round trip road trip just so you can save $200.

I knew my wagon wasn't the cleanest, but I really thought it'd fetch a bit more than it did on C&B. When I told the dealer that I'd be selling it instead of accepting their trade offer an employee made me an offer that ended up being more money than I got off C&B (and obviously would've saved me this whole hassle of trying to coordinate with a buyer) :sigh: Live and learn I guess lol. Wouldn't care if it weren't for getting the run-around on actually completing this sale...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 24, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

I actually could use a truck for towing and I'm fighting it with every part of my being for now, so far my xB is doing a decent job towing my (small) boat and I still have a few more upgrade options before I break down and get a truck. As long as i can keep all the fluids cool enough and stop quick enough I'll be good.

Haven't been on any long-ish trips yet tho so the jury is still out, if the car struggles too much I'll either have to sell the boat or get a truck :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

lmao now do a superduty

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

lmao now do a superduty

Back when I worked at a beach resort, people would come in on vacation with their quad cab dually super duties and expect to find a place to park.....Like if you could afford that you can't afford a normal sized car as well to take to the beach or the grocery store? Nope it's their daily driver :v:

They would get so mad that we couldn't give them a parking space and they could barely navigate the parking lot to begin with. Pro tip for giant truck owners, make sure the place you're staying has parking available for your monstrosity.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

I actually could use a truck for towing and I'm fighting it with every part of my being for now, so far my xB is doing a decent job towing my (small) boat and I still have a few more upgrade options before I break down and get a truck. As long as i can keep all the fluids cool enough and stop quick enough I'll be good.

Haven't been on any long-ish trips yet tho so the jury is still out, if the car struggles too much I'll either have to sell the boat or get a truck :v:

I bought a Silverado 4x4 LT CC for $39k back in the "$12k of cash on the hood" glory days of Jan 2018 as a 2nd fuckoff vehicle and used the piss out of it for a long list of delayed projects at my house and at my senior aged parents house for a good year or two. It was very handy no doubt and it was great just making dump/nursery/lumberyard/etc runs without having to plan it out and go rent a truck etc.

By the end of 2020, it pretty much ran out of its usefulness and was really taking up too much space in my garage so I sold it during the truck frenzy of early 2021 for $37k :newlol:. I do miss it sometimes and it's nice V8 rumble but an SUV with a hitch and a wee trailer will be taking care of what it was doing in the future. I was pondering an extended cab GMC Canyon RWD too and they can be had for $34k I bet. The issue was they are ridiculously high off the ground too unless you want to spend 2k+ lowering it.

Here was the article:

https://www.axios.com/ford-pickup-trucks-history

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1617511883271028737

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 24, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Who the gently caress can afford to "pleasure drive"?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Back when I worked at a beach resort, people would come in on vacation with their quad cab dually super duties and expect to find a place to park.....Like if you could afford that you can't afford a normal sized car as well to take to the beach or the grocery store? Nope it's their daily driver :v:

They would get so mad that we couldn't give them a parking space and they could barely navigate the parking lot to begin with. Pro tip for giant truck owners, make sure the place you're staying has parking available for your monstrosity.

I've been a guest at resorts where I've been able to see this. My favorite is because their giant rear end truck is so long, they think they are fixing things by backing into the space, using the depth of the sidewalk as extra parking space for the bed to overhang. The fact that they think it's acceptable to block the sidewalk and cause an accessibility issue rather than do literally anything else tells me all I need to know about the owner. It's not a rare thing either, the last time I was at a place like that, it was about 80% of the trucks that parked that way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Speleothing posted:

If you can't, just take out a longer loan and reduce your monthly so you can afford pleasure fuel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Speleothing posted:

People who buy 60k vanity trucks

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve derived more pleasure heel toeing my fit around corners than most of the performance cars I’ve owned in the past because I don’t have to worry about a speeding ticket after 1 second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

People who buy 60k vanity trucks

60? try 100+. 60k buys a shagged out 6.4 psd.