Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've always thought that like the US where a president could never admit to not being a christian, a UK prime minister could never admit to not liking football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

Isn't this yet another GDPR breach?

Also baselessly accusing a specific named person of being a paedophile, which i'm sure is legally totally fine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN

NORMAN THE WOKE BRIGADE ON THEIR SOCIAL PLATFORMS, THEY'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT RICHIE NOT WEARING A SEAT-BELT, NORMAN

HE MIGHT HAVE TO PRESS THE RED BUTTON, NORMAN, THERE'S A WAR ON, NORMAN, YOU CAN'T PRESS THE RED BUTTON IF YOU HAVE A SEAT-BELT ON :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can but the clip pops out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1616800689723678730

Another fine masterpiece by CWS. I didn't recognise Boris Becker at first either if anyone is wondering who's being arrested

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've always thought that like the US where a president could never admit to not being a christian, a UK prime minister could never admit to not liking football.

The women could have, it's just blokiness. I don't mean May and Truss might not have tried to claim football fandom, but that shows their weakness compared with Thatcher.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Only Kindness posted:

These people are lunatics similar to the flat-earthers. Have they given any thought to the logistics of how this would work? "Thrown from the wreckage" means you're exiting your vehicle though the windscreen at a relative speed of 100mph, probably leaving the lower half of your body behind, and coming to a stop 15 yards away having used your face as a brake. (I just made these numbers up to get the point across, in a similar way to these fantasists.)

Wear your seatbelts you silly bastards.

My Dad, the Fireman, liked telling me stories as I learned to drive around the back roads and lanes. Like the one about the young lad who was "thrown from the wreckage" and found up a tree (the tree we happened to be passing at the time).

He was not alive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Theres loads of pictures about of starmer playing 5 a side football. He likes football.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1616801182235648002

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

My Dad, the Fireman, liked telling me stories as I learned to drive around the back roads and lanes. Like the one about the young lad who was "thrown from the wreckage" and found up a tree (the tree we happened to be passing at the time).

He was not alive.
"Thrown from the wreckage" makes more sense when you're talking about cars that will fold in on you like a tin can, where at least a quick death might be preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck

Which again goes back to "better to die free than live asking car companies to not make lovely cars".

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I guess it's still a loving mare to get dental appointments in London then?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Tom of Binman

The telltale 6-digit hand of the AI Binman

My favourite Philip K Dick novel

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1616812089384878081

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

tralalalalalala gently caress off oval office

let me just sort out the funds as I'm laying in a loving coma dipshit. For such a loving expansive forehead there sure is a lot of real estate inside eggtwat. Hope it gets zoned for demolition.
Thanks for breaking the system beyond repair though so your endgame can be met. I hope you seriously need an A&E visit sometime soon and the doctors just say "nah gently caress this guy" and let you rot on trolley. Waiver the Hippocratic for the greater good.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 21, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

I guess it's still a loving mare to get dental appointments in London then?

Not heard about the Turkey Teeth phenomenon? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62100044

Basically Turkey has laxer laws about dental surgery so people are flying there to have their teeth completely destroyed and pasted over with veneers. They drill away all the enamel and then stick on fake fronts that stay white and straight.

It's left a lot of people loving miserable in its wake and despite all the warnings people, particularly youngsters, keep signing up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isn't there a similar thing with cosmetic surgery? I remember reading about a lot of people booking holidays to take advantage of consmetic treatments and coming back with nightmarish problems.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Probably, but watching the news at lunchtime I've seen countless people sobbing to camera about how this has ruined their lives and showing mangled teeth.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Returning to the UK is a nightmarish problem.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Diet Crack posted:

tralalalalalala gently caress off oval office

let me just sort out the funds as I'm laying in a loving coma dipshit. For such a loving expansive forehead there sure is a lot of real estate inside eggtwat. Hope it gets zoned for demolition.
Thanks for breaking the system beyond repair though so your endgame can be met. I hope you seriously need an A&E visit sometime soon and the doctors just say "nah gently caress this guy" and let you rot on trolley. Waiver the Hippocratic for the greater good.

When fuckwits say poo poo like this, I bet you they have just had an amazing free 5 course dinner at some swanky place a few nights before.
Also they are suddenly in a few thousand free shares.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Isn't there a similar thing with cosmetic surgery? I remember reading about a lot of people booking holidays to take advantage of consmetic treatments and coming back with nightmarish problems.

Yeah Turkey is the in place right now.

A friend of my wife’s wants to go out for bariatric surgery because the NHS waiting list is ~3 years and it’s less than 1/3rd the cost of doing it privately here, and it sounds like a total crapshoot as to whether you’ll be alright or end up back in the UK and hospitalised for weeks with all kinds of complications.

Isn’t putting her off spending that £3000 though!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Not heard about the Turkey Teeth phenomenon? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62100044

Sounds about right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like you could save a lot of trouble by just asking the Turkish doctor to prescribe you a bunch of painkillers and not dick about with drills and scalpels and stuff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Ironically, I’ve heard that Keith genuinely is a huge football fan, really into it and everything, in comparison to Corbyn who far more casually supports Arsenal. But because he’s such a weird robot man no one believes it, while Jeremy seems like a real person so everyone buys that he’s Arsenal to the bone.

Kieth has powerful cricket fan energy. Deeply suspect.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Turkey seems to be the place to go for hair transplants too, for some reason

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Clockwork Orange chat (yes I know it was 5 days ago)
Finally got round to watching it. Considering it was made in 1971 it's stood up well except for music cassettes, women's clothes and the bright colours.
It wasn't quite what I expected but I 'enjoyed' it.
Can't see why Kubrick made such a big deal about taking it out of circulation. Yes it's violent and rapey but no more than other films.
Some of the violence compared with Harry Brown and some of the female nudes being assaulted very similar to scenes in La Reine Margot (ok so I just checked and that was almost 30 years ago unbelievable am sure it was just a couple of years ago :corsair:

If you want to watch it you can get it for free on Movieland TV which is a channel available on Roku.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cool. All sounds really cool

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1616837321139097601?s=46&t=Lw_FW3E33PcenYCp2NTgAw

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Answers Me posted:

It's because it's cheap (by which I mean at all affordable).

Same thing with US and Mexico for some things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't see why Kubrick made such a big deal about taking it out of circulation. Yes it's violent and rapey but no more than other films.
Apparently Anthony Burgess hated Kubrick's adaptation and that was the reason why, all the moral panic and alleged copycat crimes and other tabloid stock was added to the tale after the fact.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Clockwork Orange chat

Glad you liked it.
Dammit, now I have go watch The Shining again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently Anthony Burgess hated Kubrick's adaptation and that was the reason why, all the moral panic and alleged copycat crimes and other tabloid stock was added to the tale after the fact.

I remember this actually - the US version of the book omits the final chapter where Alex starts to find his wicked ways no longer bring him the same joy and entertainment and finds that as he's maturing he wants to move on to non-criminal endeavours.

The US publisher thought that was some gay poo poo and removed it. Kubrick had no idea this chapter existed and thus didn't put it in the film, to Burgess's dismay.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah as I heard it Burgess assumed that Kubrick had just come along and wiped his Hollywood dick all over the message of his book and was not happy, and then the British tabloid outrage machine kicked in to make poo poo up about how every youth was turned into an ultraviolent because of the bad film and that's why it was banned.

Cassette tapes and classical music are apparently coming back into fashion though, and bright early 00s colours.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Also significantly cheaper than here.

A guy I work with went there for some half-rear end job where they don’t actually transplant any hair, they basically just glue a thin mesh to the top of your head and then stick a wig on it.

It was cheaper again than the real deal and at the very least didn’t involve getting carved up by some back alley butcher, even if it doesn’t look great and I have no idea how long it’s meant to last when it’s something literally glued to your head with medical adhesive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

Glad you liked it.
Dammit, now I have go watch The Shining again

Dumbest thing about me: first DVD I ever bought was The Shining, more than 20 years ago.

I have still not actually watched The Shining

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I remember this actually - the US version of the book omits the final chapter where Alex starts to find his wicked ways no longer bring him the same joy and entertainment and finds that as he's maturing he wants to move on to non-criminal endeavours.
As I remember it, it's less that he matures and more that he becomes physically ill at the though of violence (physical or sexual) because the truly awful thing about Ludvico's technique is that it works - it's just that the rest of society is still hosed, so when he runs into one of his old victims (or IIRC the husband of the person he's living with) and they attack him, he can't defend himself against the level of violence society has deemed 'normal' - restorative justice turning him into the ideal pacifist fails because the society they turf him out into isn't ideal or pacifistic. In that respect yes, missing out the end of the book omits a massive chunk of its message.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Coming from the movie, the final chapter of the book is such a brilliant punchline yeah ultraviolence is fine I guess but have you considered a few hands of motherfuckn' Bridge??

He's out with his new droogs, meets his mate who didn't become a pig, and his good lady wife, and realises aftet all he went through he's just grown out of it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Chubby Henparty posted:

He's out with his new droogs, meets his mate who didn't become a pig, and his good lady wife, and realises aftet all he went through he's just grown out of it.

I could be remembering this wrong about the book, but another 'outgrown being a child' thing was meeting the two pigs and one of them was Georgie as in the film.
But the second was the leader from the gang they beat up at the start, in the old cinema/opera place. And not the other of his old gang.

forkboy84 posted:

Dumbest thing about me: first DVD I ever bought was The Shining, more than 20 years ago.

It was one of my first too. That or Alien.
There are reasons people obsess over The Shining, well worth a watch.
My movie confession is never seen any of the Godfathers.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

forkboy84 posted:

Goddamn, you should watch The Shining. The GOAT horror movie.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Honestly don’t know why Keith isn’t going harder on sleaze. They’re all absolutely mired in it, far worse than when Blair went hard on it in the 90s

https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1616859756387237888?s=46&t=Lw_FW3E33PcenYCp2NTgAw

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like how Jack Nicholson underplays the character's gradual descent, really subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

smellmycheese posted:

Honestly don’t know why Keith isn’t going harder on sleaze. They’re all absolutely mired in it, far worse than when Blair went hard on it in the 90s

https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1616859756387237888?s=46&t=Lw_FW3E33PcenYCp2NTgAw

Because he/they are too.