Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Beartaco posted:

Hopefully it clears up, I know a young woman who's just permanently deaf on one side now after a covid infection in her inner ear. If you're experiencing vertigo or dizziness make sure you go to the hospital for some steroid injections.

Yeah, the doc mentioned that. Biggest concern right now is if the Escutcheon tubes stay inflamed and keep all that liquid trapped, that it'll promote a bacterial infection, which would not be awesome.

My god am I sore. It's not even congestion, it's just all the coughing. My core muscles are sore, and my forehead feels like it's gonna pop. gently caress COVID. *whine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Yeah, the doc mentioned that. Biggest concern right now is if the Escutcheon tubes stay inflamed and keep all that liquid trapped, that it'll promote a bacterial infection, which would not be awesome.

My god am I sore. It's not even congestion, it's just all the coughing. My core muscles are sore, and my forehead feels like it's gonna pop. gently caress COVID. *whine*

Prime some Vicks Vaposhower tablets. I went through so many of those things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I recommend a nasal rinse.

They may help with recovery from acute COVID if started early. The evidence base is kind of weak for reasons that I won’t go into here, but it’s simple, the cost is almost nothing, and it’ll definitely help with a congested nose.

You need one cup of water, two hundred and forty millilitres. It’s important that this is sterile, and tap water is not sterile. Commercial distilled water is safe, and that is also true of water that has undergone reverse osmosis. Tap water or bottled water that is not distilled/RO can be rendered safe by heating it to a rolling boil.

Dissolve in this water one half teaspoon of table salt and one half teaspoon of baking soda. This is about two and a half and three grams of each, respectively. Use kosher salt or similar if you have it on hand, but if you don’t, iodine and anticaking agents will not hurt you. Don’t add the baking soda when the water is too hot. If it bubbles vigorously upon addition, it’s too hot.

You may be interested in knowing that the little spoon in most tableware sets is in not a teaspoon, but rather a dessert spoon. These are about twice as big as teaspoons.

When it’s time to put the water up your nose, anything between body temperature and room room temperature is fine. I like the cooler end of that range. Just don’t burn yourself with water that is too hot.

To administer this cup of sterile water + ½ tsp salt + ½ tsp baking soda, you want a squeeze bottle. These are about ten dollars at a drug store. Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS house brands are all of identical design.

These bottles may come with salt packets that probably have an appropriate amount of table salt in them, but you’ll need to supply the baking soda. Some brands have baking soda in the packet, but the quantity is negligible. Ignore it and add a half teaspoon from your baking supplies.

The lead author of the study that I’m about to cite thinks that the gravity feed of a neti pot makes them less effective than the gentle pressure of a squeeze bottle. Her study tested in half the participants a motorized Naväge unit that worked no better or worse than the simple squeeze bottle.

Here is the procedure explained in a video. One thing that is not obvious is that you may be subconsciously holding your breath, and you should not hold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92qqAftUak

I don’t tilt my head forward nearly that much, but everyone has a different body.

You’ll want to do this twice per day. You can do it more often if it helps you with mucous.

Here is the journal article.

Here is a press release from the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University where the study was undertaken

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
And getting another booster and a flu shot tomorrow. I'm still amazed I'm the only person at work who wears a mask.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Cowslips Warren posted:

And getting another booster and a flu shot tomorrow. I'm still amazed I'm the only person at work who wears a mask.

At my work there's a solid contingent that do, but we're definitely in the minority. On my team (six of us including the manager) three of us wear masks, which I think is a higher percentage than the department at large. The funniest thing that happened was going to leave in the elevator and getting into a conversation with some other masked people who immediately started smalltalk with me about the 3M Auras we were all wearing and how good they were. This is the closest to "watercooler chat" I've had during the whole RTO.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Prime some Vicks Vaposhower tablets. I went through so many of those things.

I didn’t have/use these but hot showers every 4-6 hours were a godsend in the peak of my infection and absolutely worth getting out of bed for despite the fatigue.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Update, I woke up after like 4 hours and just couldn't get back to sleep out of a feeling of general crumminess. I don't know how to explain it. My head is v. congested and if I blow my nose air whistles out my ears like a cartoon character. what the gently caress? I smoked some weed and it gave me the strongest body high I've ever felt but also it's not like a pleasant relaxing one, it just feels like someone is stretching all my bones out. My eyeballs kind of ache and I'm having hot and cold flashes. Other than all that I'm fine, but I think I'm in for a weird day as I learn about how adderall interacts with covid fatigue.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I'm 36 hours out from my last post (about 48 from the first symptoms) and I wouldn't wish this poo poo on anyone. Everything hurts. As someone who never gets headaches, this one is really kicking my rear end. I lost all sense of taste and smell last night. Alternating between sweating through sheets faster than I can replace them and shivering like a parkinsons victim. Every joint hurts. My loving toe knuckles hurt. If I take tylenol or anything that breaks the fever, it makes the sweating and chills worse. It's almost easier to deal with the pain dry than to just be wet all the time.

The worst part is that every individual symptom on it's own is.. not that terrible (minus the headache) but all together.. jesus christ.
edit: and an unproductive cough that's dormant 95% of the time but about once an hour kicks into a fit of coughing that, of course, makes the headache worse.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 21, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
This ad popped on Facebook for me. How bad are these things? https://www.gatapack.com/collections/masks/products/gata-mask?size=small-med&color=blue

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

So my great uncle of 89 got COVID last week. He is unconscious, kidneys are failing, his heart is 20% effective, and is receiving end of life care.

I mentioned my son brought home what feels like COVID but hasn't tested positive. He was sick for a week, then my parents and I got it, and it's knocked us on our asses—we've each been bedridden for at least a day or two, but seven days later we still feel like poo poo. My mother even went to the ER for dehydration and a pulse of 120.

Well now my grandfather started coughing, and he's 88. After what it's done to us, I am not looking forward to the next seven days...

fuckin quote =/= edit

Well I'll use this to add that my son received a surprise hearing test at school. His ears haven't drained yet from his infection, so he's had trouble hearing, but the doc said it'll go away, and we have a follow-up booked. My ears are doing the same thing.

I just received a letter in the mail saying he's been referred to a hearing lab because the evaluators were highly concerned lol
:ohdear: hang in there, goon & family. That’s an awful lot to be dealing with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They’re not totally obviously nonworkable garbage like cloth masks with filter inserts, because unlike those where the air just takes the path of least resistance around the filter, the GATA has wraparound silicone.

Some Redditors have used them and given mixed reports.

quote:

I got some GATA masks in the mail yesterday and I am highly skeptical. It seems like a good idea, but there's way too much room for user error. I had a hard time fitting the filter in properly, I would be nervous to wear it. They shared filtration stats with me when I asked, and they look good, but I think they are just for the filters, and assume perfect use of the masks, which is unlikely. I messaged Aaron Collins to ask if he had checked them out at all, and he had not. The main reason I tried them in the first place was my 4 year old who can't keep any masks on her face. I've tried many KF94s (they slip off her nose) and even tried Flomask, but she doesn't like how it feels.

quote:

I just bought a Gata mask too and was so disappointed. The filtration doesn’t seem as great IRL as it did online and it fits me okay... but not great. I measured my face and everything. I also got the child’s size for my 8 year old and it was way too small

quote:

I got a Gata for myself and for my (early elementary) kids. After wearing it to test, I think I know why people have very different thoughts on it.
The silicone wall presses up against your face, and there's a dome out where a plastic skeleton holds a filter against silicone. I have a soft face and a wide, but not protusive, nose, so it really works well for me. The silicone presses into the softness of my cheeks, making a nice seal, and the cup doesn't touch my nose or lips (unlike the Envo, where the plug brushes my lips.)
Younger child has a thinner face and a more protruding nose, and doesn't like hers. She says her nose touches the skeleton, it smells funny, and she doesn't like the feel. Also she hates the color and implies that having it in teal might fix these problems. Her older sister, with a softer face and a flatter nose, seems more open to it, but again pro-teal.
So, from my early wear, it's nice for humid situations, but I think the shape of your face has a lot to do with how well it works for you.

quote:

I really like me Gata mask but it does nothing for my husband. He has a larger skinny nose and a full face and even the xl battery covers his nose and mouth. Kind of slides around. I think the issue is also that he's just not closely shaved.

quote:

While I haven't tried them personally, there are reports of air leaking around the filter of the Gata mask.

quote:

I got one at the beginning of the pandemic and found the seal very good for my particular face; I also found that, when my husband was using some nasty smelling chemicals in the house, it was the only mask I had that actually blocked the smell, which gave me a ton of confidence in it. I also wear it while I’m blowing leaves and it keeps the dirt and pollen from getting to me, so between those things I feel like the seal and filter are fantastic for my face. The company has been really cagey about their testing data, though, which makes me not feel super confident. I love the idea in theory, and if they’d be more forthcoming about their testing data I’d probably continue on using them, but for now I’m sticking with my KF94s.

quote:

I have a GATA and an Envo. In my hospital, a lot of people wear the GATA as a non-N95 mask. I like it very much as a casual mask, especially in hot weather, since the silicone doesn't soak up sweat. One of my kids (soft-faced) also wears and loves a GATA, but my slender-faced child can't stand it.
You do have to be careful putting in the filter.
That said, I don't wear it these days; I'm doing KN95 or (for work) N95. Once rates in my area are less of a horror show, I'll probably wear it again. (The kids are wearing Armbrusts, some random KF94s, and we should get some Lutemas tomorrow.)

It’s not a great sign that people who otherwise like it still trust KF94 and KN95s over it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

They’re not totally obviously nonworkable garbage like cloth masks with filter inserts, because unlike those where the air just takes the path of least resistance around the filter, the GATA has wraparound silicone.

It’s not a great sign that people who otherwise like it still trust KF94 and KN95s over it.

Skipping that then. Do goons like the envo mask at all?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the number of people known to have died from using tap water to neti is four

this seems so unlikely to me compared to basically any other way I might die, I don't bother because boiling water then letting it cool is a pain in the rear end and distilled water isn't free

if I get a brain disease I'll make sure my wife lets the pig balls forum know

edit: oopsc that's four survivors and 143 deaths but that's since 1960, so, like two a year and also people swim in creeks without boiling them. at least my tap water gets tested for bacteria

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 21, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the baking soda for? I've used neti pots for years (after a thread in GBS about them back in like 2007) but I've never used baking soda in the mix

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

My parents invited me over for dinner 3 days ago, and they both hid the fact that my dad has been experiencing COVID symptoms until he suddenly coughed at the table without covering his mouth and said "I've been having trouble like... regulating my body temperature lately." at which point I said "You need to take a COVID test and let me know what the results are." Apparently he had been refusing to test for 3 days prior to that despite having the symptoms. Sure enough, he has COVID. I kind of think my mom invited me over just because she knew I would insist he take a test.

This is insane, OP. Sorry. :(

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wrong thread!

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ok I tested positive. Not sure where my photo id is so no pax from Dr B yet but I'll take another test when I find it and get that rolling

Weird thing: so far at least w/ my mild symptoms, my daily Adderall pretty much counteracts most of the COVID symptoms. Still don't feel great but the fatigue and confusion is much lessened

e: The hardest part of this right now is my cats. They know something's wrong and they want a ton of attention from me right now but I don't wanna be breathing all over them plus I just don't have the energy for all the cuddling right now, so I have to yell at them to go away and I feel bad :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 21, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Partner and I have been using them since they were available. Halo headband rather than ear hooks.
Has worked for us so far.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know a number of doctors who use them. Unfortunately it never really fit my face, and I could feel gaps whenever I would talk.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Platystemon posted:

I recommend a nasal rinse.

Agree with this post - and I use the Neilmed brand though I do just use the packets that came with it. But the nasal rinsing has helped me so much when I've had congestion or sinus issues of any type and I've had multiple doctors recommend it as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am not going to do a nasal rinse because my sinuses are all kinds of hosed up (in general, not from covid) and every time I have tried one before it was extremely painful. But Flonase has worked really well for keeping the congestion down for me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've had hosed up sinuses for half my life, rinses own even if they might feel uncomfortable at first. Usually because you mixed things wrong.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've had hosed up sinuses for half my life, rinses own even if they might feel uncomfortable at first. Usually because you mixed things wrong.

How do you mix salt water wrong?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Start with water
Add sodium
Add chlorine

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Fuschia tude posted:

sodium chloride can and will burn your mucous membranes in high concentration

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mean I have tried it with just plain distilled water and it was one of the most painful things I've probably ever experienced as the sensation of like, falling and scraping your knee spread throughout every inch of my sinuses and nasal cavity. No thanks!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

prom candy posted:

What's the baking soda for? I've used neti pots for years (after a thread in GBS about them back in like 2007) but I've never used baking soda in the mix

In theory it has a mild disinfecting effect I think? Ianad

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I once got marine salt, for aquariums, under a fingernail. Reaching up after I blew my nose to wipe it again, and inhaled some crystals. I tell you, nothing burns like loving marine salt.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Panfilo posted:

Weirdness: I normally have psoriasis and it has completely loving vanished. Let's hope this is my version of long covid without any other problems. Best guess is that since psoriasis is autoimmune related the virus dented my immune system enough to get it to leave my skin alone. I'm curious if anyone else with similar autoimmune conditions saw changes when they came down/recovered from covid.

I've mentioned before that alleviation of allergic skin reactions has been a consistent and welcome side effect of the vaccine for me.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I did daily nasal rinses over the holiday since my doctor thought it would help with an ear that felt clogged for a month+. First day was fairly rough with sneezing and snotting frequently. Wasn't sure at the time if I was getting sick, but it also felt like maybe there was some salt residue left over it was trying to get out.

I think when I made the first batch I just poured the salt into the water, shook it up a bunch until it looked clear, then started using it. What I noticed later on is there's still salt particles floating around in there, it's just harder to see them because they're dispersed and there's air bubbles. You let it sit for a minute and a whole lot of it will settle to the bottom, then wait a few minutes after that and they'll be gone and fully absorbed.

Not sure if that made a difference or I just needed a day to get used to it, but it was totally fine after that.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I was already here but this isn't why I wanted to be right

e: a shack with municipal fiber, even. There's some megarich folks up here and I assume someone paid the telco to pull fiber 8 miles for ~100 people.

Wait, where? I would love to live somewhat in the boonies with decent internet.

Oh, rich people are there, so probably expensive to buy and clear land.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

prom candy posted:

The study by Baxter et al. had participants use it because they were looking at a study on endemic coronaviruses from long before the pandemic that found that high-pH environments inhibit coronaviruses in the lab.

An equal number of participants were randomized to a rinse that was otherwise the same, but instead of a half teaspoon of baking soda, their additive was a half teaspoon of povidone-iodine (again in one cup of water with a half teaspoon salt). One patient in this group was hospitalized for COVID-19, though that is not statistically significant.

So it’s possible that both additives work equally well, or that neither of them is necessary and a simple saline flush has the same effect. There was no saline-only group, so it’s an open question.

Fuschia tude posted:

If you forget to add salt, there is an uncomfortable burning sensation because your cells are salty, the water isn’t, and there is an osmotic gradient across the cell membranes.

I mean I have tried it with just plain distilled water and it was one of the most painful things I've probably ever experienced as the sensation of like, falling and scraping your knee spread throughout every inch of my sinuses and nasal cavity. No thanks!!

Yeah that. Do not skip the salt.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was feeling really crummy last night and this morning (day 1-2 of symptoms) but now halfway through day 2, after drinking some pedialyte and taking some high dose ibuprofin my symptoms are largely gone and I feel mostly fine aside from a little back ache :confused: It's gonna come back to get me, isn't it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

it hurts a lot more with plain water or too salty water than optimally salty water

unsure why this is but there's science reasons

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I once got marine salt, for aquariums, under a fingernail. Reaching up after I blew my nose to wipe it again, and inhaled some crystals. I tell you, nothing burns like loving marine salt.

I will see your marine salt and raise you lithium carbonate powder from an Eskalith capsule. Good god that one hurt.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I was feeling really crummy last night and this morning (day 1-2 of symptoms) but now halfway through day 2, after drinking some pedialyte and taking some high dose ibuprofin my symptoms are largely gone and I feel mostly fine aside from a little back ache :confused: It's gonna come back to get me, isn't it.

Once that ibuprofen wears off, yup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the number of people known to have died from using tap water to neti is four

this seems so unlikely to me compared to basically any other way I might die, I don't bother because boiling water then letting it cool is a pain in the rear end and distilled water isn't free

if I get a brain disease I'll make sure my wife lets the pig balls forum know

edit: oopsc that's four survivors and 143 deaths but that's since 1960, so, like two a year and also people swim in creeks without boiling them. at least my tap water gets tested for bacteria

Boil a gallon on Sunday, put it in a jug, and use it all week?

If I were doing this, I would add iodine to it as a preservative, but you do you.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Day 21.. tested negative 3 times this week after 3 positives the week of January 1st.

Still coughing more often than usual and a runny nose.

I assume I'm no longer contagious?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Personally the envo feels the most secure and comfortable of all the ones I've tried outside of the secureclick which I don't want to deal with every day, but I have had to buy replacement parts because I've had the gel cushion separate slightly from the hard plastic part over time and create gaps.

Also I wore an envo to the MoMA the other day and someone in a n95 complimented me on it, said I was the first person they'd seen wearing one out and about and that they had one at home :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oracle posted:

Once that ibuprofen wears off, yup.
What's really weird is it should have worn off a long time ago but I was still feeling fine. Then I went and laid down in bed and pretty much as soon as I was horizontal, bam, the congestion and hot/cold flashes and aches came back. So then I got up and sat upright and they're mostly gone again :confused:

I'm extremely tired though, I was only able to sleep for 3-4 hours last night

e: okay I just slept for a few hours again. Still feeling overall pretty good compared to last night :sweatdrop: Knock on wood!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 22, 2023