Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Can you open the chests in ch5? I just let the thief steal the items for me and murdered him.
Bosses with multiple lifebars are rude.

any character can open chests in this game, not just thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anyone can open any chest, don't need to be a thief. And if an enemy thief does get to them yeah you can just kill them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to be clear unlike previous FEs if a thief grabs multiple chests hell drop all the items he nabbed when you kill him, not just the most recent one

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So what does the actual Thief class do that's unique this time around?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

So what does the actual Thief class do that's unique this time around?
they're closer to fates ninjas. their daggers inflict a debuff that increases the damage the enemy takes. its a flat modifier to every hit, so it syncs up well with chain attacks or multi-hit engages. daggers are also decently strong weapons this time around and have 1-2 range, and they get double terrain effects. they can be pretty effective dodge tanks. yunaka is actually a fairly strong combat unit.

they can also open doors instead of breaking them, though that saves you maybe an action at most and doors arent in that many maps.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Whoever said this is like a saturday morning cartoon was right on.

Though I did like it when I did an arena battle and the first character had a fancy introduction then Boucheron shows up and is just all "IT'S ME, BOUCHERON!!!!"

Shez is better than Alear.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That's unfair, because Shez is the best main character there's ever been in Fire Emblem.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Are there any like level 15 skills this time, or am I okay to just start promoting as soon as I hit level 10?
Aware there's second seals so hitting level caps shouldn't be a worry.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The only concern is money and exp are both kinda tight in this game*, so you shouldn't do it with no real plan. But no, there's no level 15 skills.

*If you don't do skirmishes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like how Sigurd was like “I remember that one time me and my friends were all killed. It sucked rear end.”

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the main downside of promoting at 10 is that it will significantly slow your EXP growth. I think waiting a few extra levels is a good idea unless you really need that extra movement now but there's not much reason to wait longer than 15 or 16 if you have access to the Master Seals.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yunaka completely owns??

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

Yunaka completely owns??

Yeah she's great

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
shez is the best character because they're also the gaiden game character, so they didn't need to be a complete springboard for everyone's gimmicks.

alear is a good mc, DIVINE ONE withstanding, because they have their own poo poo going on while still playing the increasingly more incredulous straightman to everyone

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Can’t really tell how worthwhile country donations are. The gold cost feels pretty steep…

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, the main downside of promoting at 10 is that it will significantly slow your EXP growth. I think waiting a few extra levels is a good idea unless you really need that extra movement now but there's not much reason to wait longer than 15 or 16 if you have access to the Master Seals.

From what I've read promoting doesn't slow down EXP gain and the EXP rate is just based on internal level (so a Level 10 would gain the same rate as a Level 10/1 promoted unit), so you do want to promote ASAP.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Carlosologist posted:

Yunaka completely owns!!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shez ring when.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

I just got Anna and it doesn't really feel like her starting class suits her base stats or even her growths?
What are your thoughts/experiences regarding Anna so far?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Captain Flame Guy posted:

I just got Anna and it doesn't really feel like her starting class suits her base stats or even her growths?
What are your thoughts/experiences regarding Anna so far?

anna has the single highest magic growth in the game. more then lysithea i think.

she also has innate bow proficiency as a prank, no reason to use it tho.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

anna has the single highest magic growth in the game. more then lysithea i think.

she also has innate bow proficiency as a prank, no reason to use it tho.

the innate bow proficiency is probably to let her promote to warrior

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay wow, what a difference of like 3MT does to Framme. She went from healbot to actually a good option VS mages and archers.

Is there any consensus on which units enjoy most which rings? For now I beat Chapter 6 and got Marth on Alear (Yunaka probably enjoys him too thanks to avo bonuses?), Celica on Celine (I guess any mage likes her), Sigurd on Louis to make him a murderball who distracts everyone and I guess Micaiah prefers to be on mounted units for more mov? No idea who to give THREE HOUSES to though, too many skills to check.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been happy as I always am in every FE giving the most mobile person the mobility buff. Chloe needs a little bit of help to be able to lunge with Sigurd, but if you give her a forge and angelic robe she's durable and powerful enough while being able to do sigurd tactics over flyer-only terrain

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think people are going to be discussing the ideal use for each emblem for a long time to come. There's a lot to be said about reinforcing existing niches vs adding to a units versatility, for instance. Hell, it's not exactly an idea *completely* without merit to toss Celica on someone like Louis and just use Warp Ragnarok as a "surprise, there's an armor knight in your backline" button.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Long-term the Three Houses Bracelet should go on someone who gets two of axes, lances or spears for the "+7 to damage when weapon matches current partner" bonus. In the short term it should go on someone who's staying right up front, because 1/3 of the time Dimitri lets you ignore the next ranged attack you take (including any debuffs it has, like Poison or Freeze) and Falling Star is a super longbow that also lets you completely ignore the next attack you take (and as an Engage skill it doesn't actually swap your weapon, so the user can counter melee right after without issues). Boucheron as a Warrior is probably the best long-term fit if he gets good levels, but it seems like there's a soft cap of 10 on the normal rings early on and Alear will hit level 10 with Marth about then, so putting it on Alear for a while isn't a bad idea.

Etie's a good choice for Marth's ring if Alear's not using it, since IIRC there's the traditional mounted sword-bow promoted class and picking up the sword evasion and extra sword damage skills would be good for her. She's kind of a glass cannon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Micaiah's knife proficiency: just because of the Sothe connection, or specifically a reference to that time she shanked Pelleas?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Are Great Knights armored or do you need to go for general? Their type is cavalry but they also have the armor icon.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also I've just been tossing Edelgard and pals on whichever member of my current group is at the lowest level to benefit from their 20% EXP growth bonus. They're versatile enough they can really go on anyone. Tiki is currently on "trying to salvage Alfred" duty since I want to use as many of the royals as possible.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

blizzardvizard posted:

The key was to give Sigurd to Louis and have him Override during that one turn 4 enemies are lined up in the corridor, thus blocking the thief :eng101:

They even showed it off in prerelease!

I still had Sigurd on Alfred when I did that mission but I had him override through them like that while Celine+Celica warped in front of the hallway so the enemies were trapped in there

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
It feels like Etie keeps getting MVP on my maps as her Longbow gets stupid amounts of mileage. I’m even finding it hard to justify using Alcryst, who seems really good, because I’m just committing to the Etie train.

Her speed is dire but I’m still getting good results.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The conversation that the Emblem 3H lords were having inside the ring was just Edelgard reading pages and pages of online discourse

I’ve been giving horse poo to my worst performing units so the Somniel does have its purpose

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Are Great Knights armored or do you need to go for general? Their type is cavalry but they also have the armor icon.

They are Calvary and thus lose the unbreakable bonus. The armour icon is there for purposes of weapon bonuses like Armorslayer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This Tiki DLC paralogue is one of the most tedious maps I've ever seen and it's enough to make me regret buying the DLC. Jesus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Einander posted:

Etie's a good choice for Marth's ring if Alear's not using it, since IIRC there's the traditional mounted sword-bow promoted class and picking up the sword evasion and extra sword damage skills would be good for her. She's kind of a glass cannon.

while obviously you do what you need to do to access classes, Marth is going to be somewhat hampered on an archer because one of his better skills only activates when you break an enemy

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The Elusians don't want you to know this but the dogs in villages are free you can take them to Somniel I have 458 dogs.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So is it worth working up to level 20 or is it ok to just rank up as soon as possible? I’ve chucked master seals on Jean and Alear but I got a new one and don’t know what to do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How's the ratio of party members you get to party members allowed on the field in this game?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why is there a random village in Firenne full of British people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It probably isn't gonna work forever, but I love love love how useful Warp Ragnarok is for utterly removing enemy thieves as a threat. No need to strategize a way through multiple enemies to catch up with them, just press A a few times and boom, dead thief.

In a similar vein, the Obstruct staff might be one of my favorite new additions to FE. There's a lot of shenanigans you can pull with that thing to get around some map designs.