Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Kinison is a legend and well regarded amongst other comics.

After he achieved rock star status, his material took a turn for the worse and he became a cliche of guy who screams a lot. But his timing, his takes on marriage, love and especially religion were often on point and quite funny. I'm not gonna go to bat for homophobic and sexist material that obviously hasn't aged well and should be shunned - for Sam, Eddie Murphy, RIchard Pryor, Dice or anyone else - but comedy is loving weird like that and "the edge" is constantly moving to where a comedian can fall over it retrospect.

I think historical context is important when looking at comedy, even if it's easy to say "it was a different time. As a bissexual man, a lot of Eddie Murphy's and Sam's acts made me uncomfortable and I certainly didn't find them funny. I think a lot of comedy is basically a mirror for Where We're At As a Society and what we think is acceptable to laugh at. Most all art is.

Hardly an original take, I realize, and it sounds like something a sophomore art student would say but that center or sweet spot is constantly moving and good comedy can locate where that edge . Great comedy (and music and film and literature) can identify where that edge is and dance on it. I'm not going to call Jackie Gleason an untalented hack for one liners about "pow, straight to the moon" for instance.

I honestly think that "what's funny" really does evolve.

There's a lot bands, actors, film makers, writers and musicians that I USED to like but don't have the time for anymore. SOme of that is down to tastes changing and maturity levels but, with the mirror thing again, a great deal of it is that mirror reflecting that evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Comedy is incredibly hard, yeah. Just look at how some of those 'classic' 80s comedies are incredibly problematic now and at times disturbing on how they handle rape and sexual assault. That was perfectly fine to joke about back then but now you just can't touch that stuff (rightly).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Panfilo posted:

Dale is also seen with contempt even though a lot of his zaniness has gotten much more mainstream in right wing circles.

I laughed with my niece about how my positions on privacy, social media, and the separation of your private and professional lives online haven't changed one bit since the 90s, but with the passing of time and shifting culture I've somehow drifted from being a normal dude to sounding like Dale Gribble. We took an hour doing Dale voice saying things like "if the website's free you're not the user (drag on cigarette), you're the productttttt"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GD_American posted:

I laughed with my niece about how my positions on privacy, social media, and the separation of your private and professional lives online haven't changed one bit since the 90s, but with the passing of time and shifting culture I've somehow drifted from being a normal dude to sounding like Dale Gribble. We took an hour doing Dale voice saying things like "if the website's free you're not the user (drag on cigarette), you're the productttttt"
Stopped clocks on Dale's part, most likely. Similar to how he finds common ground and helps John Redcorn because their grievances with the government. You'd think Native Americans would be hardcore libertarians yet they really aren't, certainly not the same way white guys like Dale are.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

Kinison is a legend and well regarded amongst other comics.

After he achieved rock star status, his material took a turn for the worse and he became a cliche of guy who screams a lot. But his timing, his takes on marriage, love and especially religion were often on point and quite funny. I'm not gonna go to bat for homophobic and sexist material that obviously hasn't aged well and should be shunned - for Sam, Eddie Murphy, RIchard Pryor, Dice or anyone else - but comedy is loving weird like that and "the edge" is constantly moving to where a comedian can fall over it retrospect.

I think historical context is important when looking at comedy, even if it's easy to say "it was a different time. As a bissexual man, a lot of Eddie Murphy's and Sam's acts made me uncomfortable and I certainly didn't find them funny. I think a lot of comedy is basically a mirror for Where We're At As a Society and what we think is acceptable to laugh at. Most all art is.

Hardly an original take, I realize, and it sounds like something a sophomore art student would say but that center or sweet spot is constantly moving and good comedy can locate where that edge . Great comedy (and music and film and literature) can identify where that edge is and dance on it. I'm not going to call Jackie Gleason an untalented hack for one liners about "pow, straight to the moon" for instance.

I honestly think that "what's funny" really does evolve.

There's a lot bands, actors, film makers, writers and musicians that I USED to like but don't have the time for anymore. SOme of that is down to tastes changing and maturity levels but, with the mirror thing again, a great deal of it is that mirror reflecting that evolution.
There's a degree of comedy that certainly involves pushing boundaries. I think a lot of comedians and media figures got a lot of positive attention because they were controversial /offensive towards a conservative status quo, even if the humor was still punching down and cringy by modern standards. Howard Stern, for example, seemed to draw a lot more ire from pro censorship conservatives rather than liberal woke scolds. I didn't hear leftists screaming for him to be taken off the air, but conservatives. Same thing happened to Stone/Parker and South Park-people were upset it had kids swearing, not the faux centrism of each episode.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, “good comedy always punches upwards” is a lie comedians tell themselves to feel better about themselves. Actual comedy has no inherent relation to power structures, it’s about transgressions and breaking expectations. Kinison was hugely successful and his rants weren’t taken as ‘ironic’ or ‘a character’ but as hilarious sticking it to a group everyone was told to feel sorry for. Dennis Leary made his bones being an rear end in a top hat about everything. Racist jokes that relied on stereotypes - black people being stupid and loving Cadillacs, Italians being greasy con men, Poles being the stupidest people ever, Asians talking funny, etc. - were a staple of comedy in the ‘70s and earlier, and misogyny is everywhere in stand up comedy.

Hell, this very website made its bones twenty years ago mocking furries, otherkin, and people mourning 9/11. Go ahead and make the case that Hulk Hogan power slamming the WTC is “punching upwards”.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

skeleton warrior posted:

Hell, this very website made its bones twenty years ago mocking furries, otherkin, and people mourning 9/11. Go ahead and make the case that Hulk Hogan power slamming the WTC is “punching upwards”.
That's not fair, a power slam is always downwards. Now a Shoruken to the towers? That's punching up.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

That's not fair, a power slam is always downwards. Now a Shoruken to the towers? That's punching up.

:golfclap:

i have been successfully punched up at

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, “good comedy always punches upwards” is a lie comedians tell themselves to feel better about themselves. Actual comedy has no inherent relation to power structures, it’s about transgressions and breaking expectations.

It's exactly this.

A clever comedian can cook up a joke about pretty much anything and, like I posted earlier, that loving LINE is always moving and very hard to dance on. Eddie Murphy's f*****t jokes suck, haven't stood the test of time at all and should absolutely be erased and thrown on a trash fire but I'm not prepared to sit here and say the dude wasn't or isn't incredibly talented and very funny.

I think that Dice, Howard and Sam are funny but a lot of their stuff has aged like an open beer left out at a party, no doubt.

I'm not easily offended and not someone who thinks that certain things are always off limits either. It depends on the act, the delivery, the set up and (like you said) the surprise element. Handling the subject with a certain amount of skill I guess. The conservative comedy I hear offers none of these things. Oddly, Rush Limbaugh early on wasn't particularly awful at punching down and occasionally made me laugh.

Again, I'm a bisexual male and don't I automatically freak out if someone makes a joke about that but...I guess there's a right way and a wrong way maybe? And often the passage of time shifts the framework quite a bit. WE're all hypocrites to one degree or another and if there's a joke in there that points at a double standard there or something then I think that's fair game.

I can have a problem with some of Dave Chapelle's material without calling for his head on a pike. Or I can just not watch him. Conversely, I don't have a problem with folks who DO call him out either because it's not my place to tell people what to get offended about.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I'm not exposed to any RWM these days, but i can't (don't want to) imagine how it's going to handle this Memphis thing.

HootTheOwl posted:

Ryu's dragon punch cant defeat steel beams Ken shoryukened from inside the towers.

Blanka spammed his shock attack in building 7

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Has no one really edited in SFA3's psycho crusher special in place of one of the planes?

We forgot :911:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways good comedy is about punching down but people can be saying wrong about power structures.
They keep telling The One Joke because they think the pronoun enforcers are in power. No one else laughs because no one else thinks so.
No one could challenge 9/11 widows and you'll recall the Dixie chicks are poo poo over it. That's where the humor comes from. Because the towers became a sacred symbol it punches up at the monoculture who revere's it by subverted the expectation that we keep revearing it.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 21, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I can only assume Tucker has a new sponsor.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1616607063932534784

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OgNar posted:

I can only assume Tucker has a new sponsor.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1616607063932534784
Yes, it’s Joe Cool

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If smoking 12 packs a day becomes exclusively a chud thing now I'm fine with that honestly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mercury_Storm posted:

If smoking 12 packs a day becomes exclusively a chud thing now I'm fine with that honestly.

I get the sentiment here, but as I'm old enough to remember what it was like when restaurants and other public places had smoking sections, and knowing that rightists would performatively insert themselves into such places again if only to be able to make a gigantic scene when told they can't smoke and/or need to leave, I can see some down sides.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

What do you mean this flight doesn't have a smoking section?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I get the sentiment here, but as I'm old enough to remember what it was like when restaurants and other public places had smoking sections, and knowing that rightists would performatively insert themselves into such places again if only to be able to make a gigantic scene when told they can't smoke and/or need to leave, I can see some down sides.
Didn't this happen when vaping became a thing because they thought they had some loophole?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Panfilo posted:

Didn't this happen when vaping became a thing because they thought they had some loophole?

Maybe? I always had the impression that the early adopters of vaping tended to skew younger and somewhat less chuddy, at least in the performative masculinity department.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Smoking is already a right wing thing around me. Look for the guy with the pickup truck and rhe Trump stickers and he'll be way more likely to be smoking.

When I'm at work, it's always people with MAGA hats or MAMA DIDNT RAISE A COWARD or THIN BLUE LINE or PUNISHER shirts inquiring where they can go smoke.

Right wing smokes cigarettes, left wing vapes and smokes pot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are a lot of right wing vapers

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Duncan Hunter (also known for bragging about targeting civilians as an artillery officer in Fallujah, using campaign funds to cheat on his wife, blaming his wife for misusing campaign funds, and buying Steam games with campaign funds and blaming his son) vaped on the house floor

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Filipkowski has a bunch of clips from Diamonds funeral like here where he thought it was only going to be 15m long.
He also spends lot of time talking about how the election was stolen and Joe Bidens economy.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1616953581306789888

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 22, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1616175738075643904?t=t_2p3XoXDWFXesNT3um-qA&s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What the gently caress is that picture lol

This will illustrate how I'm a big awkward baby crammed into a room full of people who are actually trying to learn.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
100% odds he just waltzed into a community college or some other open class, took a couple of pictures, then came up with this bullshit in under 20 minutes total.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Working hard with my pen and desktop calendar-sized sheet of blank paper on syllabus day.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Working hard with my pen and desktop calendar-sized sheet of blank paper on syllabus day.

What's funny is that those things might be okay for some courses, but they're only gonna be for the courses like creative writing that make his comment less and less appropriate.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

And that student? Albert Einstein.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sephyr posted:

100% odds he just waltzed into a community college or some other open class, took a couple of pictures, then came up with this bullshit in under 20 minutes total.

https://twitter.com/Jellyfrisky/status/1616463036822482949?t=MCyvHZLCgdv8Tv26YAXs7g&s=19

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I hate how utterly normalized it is to film and photograph random people for internet shenanigans without their consent.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

DarklyDreaming posted:

I hate how utterly normalized it is to film and photograph random people for internet shenanigans without their consent.
im not pleased when im away from my home im probably onsome camera somewhere. hell, some of my neighbors have ring so not even immediately outside my house is good

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/Jellyfrisky/status/1616592666019659776

It literally was a "and then everyone clapped" thing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Found in the comments

https://twitter.com/RealGregorad/status/1614439679394254852?t=BdY_XIZbo3ttg-As6lLtLg&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DarklyDreaming posted:

I've often wondered the long term consequences of this phenomenon. At least with public schools, the administrations will actually ask parental consent before staff photograph pupils for yearbook or other reasons. But we also have goddamn first graders bringing smart phones to school so we have very little control over it in the grand scheme of things.

One theory is that under a panopticon, people will self regulate a lot more, since any freakout or tic will be heavily signal boosted and scrutinized. Do we really need people absent-mindedly scratching their butt and sniffing their hand afterwards on the bus? Certainly ostracizing others can discourage these types of behaviors... Maybe.

But the cynical reality seems to be that it just makes people desensitized to such outrage, not more strict about it. Who cares if people see you scratching your booty, they're going to scream at you for walking your dog wrong or using the wrong brand of garbage bags or whatever stupid mundane thing they'll fixate on, there's no 'winning' in that contest when the peanut gallery numbers in the billions these days.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jackson Hinkle is the guy who got humiliated by his parents on Twitter

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

God drat Jonah Hill looks incredible these days. Good for him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Jackson Hinkle is the guy who got humiliated by his parents on Twitter

Normally these dorks are the product of their parents' lovely beliefs and practices, but not in this case, I guess? Jackson Hinkle's parents seem like pretty cool and normal people and I'm sorry they have to deal with a shitbag son like Jackson Hinkle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His last name is actually Hinkle? I thought it was some kind of double irony thing with the hitler from The Great Dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Who even is this guy, I've never heard of him