Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Westbound Train have surprise-released a new album, Dedication. It's their first album since 2009. YouTube playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mlVgyWFTwooDdLTnqvHzX40NzPx-LaDKY

Oh hell yes, can't wait to listen to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is this new Abruptors album on Asian Man ever coming out? Mike Park was promoting it and it's listed as "Summer/Fall 2022." There are only about two weeks left of fall and I can't find any more recent buzz on it. I LOVED "Best Wishes, Warmest Regards" and I am pretty excited for the new album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Because time is made up, I'm seeing Streetlight in 2 weeks

Maybe they'll play a new song lol

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Because time is made up, I'm seeing Streetlight in 2 weeks

Maybe they'll play a new song lol

The Jersey shows? Yeah they are debuting all the new material there.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Djarum posted:

The Jersey shows? Yeah they are debuting all the new material there.

O rllllly? I was just joking lol I didn't even know they had new material

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Snow Cone Capone posted:

O rllllly? I was just joking lol I didn't even know they had new material

Yeah the new record is done. They finished it this summer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:toot:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I will not believe there is a new Streetlight album until I have it in my hands.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This chestnut popped into my head today, Sexi Lexi by the Distorted Penguins that I had on repeat a lot in high school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIdDK0bZp_o

If you haven't heard it, recommend giving it a listen and enjoying it before reading the next bit,

I was wondering if they were running that late 40's-50-year-old ska band circuit... only to discover the lead singer/songwriter for the band got murder/suicided by his dad just before this album came out. Not sure how I hadn't learned that before, but always thought he had a great voice and was surprised I'd never seen anything else from DP.

The bands Facebook page continues on, they're doing a re-issue of that album. But it also sounds like two more members have also passed away in recent years. Way too young for that much loss in one band, yikes. :smith:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 4, 2022

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

guppy posted:

I will not believe there is a new Streetlight album until I have it in my hands.

the last time we said this they mailed out blank CD-Rs

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

aricoarena posted:

the last time we said this they mailed out blank CD-Rs

That was due to Vagrant being douchebags.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

Is this new Abruptors album on Asian Man ever coming out? Mike Park was promoting it and it's listed as "Summer/Fall 2022." There are only about two weeks left of fall and I can't find any more recent buzz on it. I LOVED "Best Wishes, Warmest Regards" and I am pretty excited for the new album.

Sounds like vinyl issues, I've heard it's hard as hell to get small band vinyl done on time nowadays. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=545929684020345&set=pcb.545929774020336

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Djarum posted:

That was due to Vagrant being douchebags.

Victory. I should listen to hands that thieve more.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

lessthankyle posted:

Sounds like vinyl issues, I've heard it's hard as hell to get small band vinyl done on time nowadays. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=545929684020345&set=pcb.545929774020336

Yeah, that makes sense. Come on, though, put it out on digital already!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

guppy posted:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

streetlight albums get exponentially longer to release, with more intricate composition and production, and the album they wrote and recorded as teenagers is still miles ahead. hell, the original catch demo cassette is even better

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://reddit.com/r/streetlightmanifesto/comments/znxvnw/new_music/

New song from last night. Sounds real good to me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah it was good but also the only new song they played lmao

good show, Streetlight being Streelight. The usual setlist. Several member seem to be new (2/3 sax players, trombone, bass, drums) and Mike the trumpet player lost a TON of weight, good for him. Tomas had a gopro on like a whip antenna sticking out the back of his pants that he pulled off and tossed after the first song, so that should be fun to watch on the inevitable live dvd or whatnot

e: also I know tomas's crowd banter is fairly limited but he didn't say a word about the new song lol they just started playing it and when it was done immediately launched into the next one

e2: i guess their deal with Victory is still all hosed too because the only CDs they were selling at the merch table were BOTAR ones

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 18, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I read Sellout by Dan Ozzi and Tony Brummel comes off like a really manipulative, evil dude who uses the anti-majors sentiment to pull the same poo poo the majors pull on a smaller level

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Terry Hall of The Specials just died. He was only 63. Didn’t see the cause, but too young.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rdu8VOWk3pg&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
:rip:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6liD8TdlJFA

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
What a terrible turn, Horace Panter just posted about Terry getting some pretty aggressive cancer right as they were gearing up to record some new music.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Yeah, this one really sucks. The Specials music has been a soundtrack to a wide variety of moments in my life - from queuing up Sock It To 'Em J.B. for rounds of Goldeneye to mournfully listening to You're Wondering Now on repeat in my dorm room the day before my college graduation. RIP Terry.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:aaa:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

drat, I wouldn’t mind seeing SkaPara or Kill Lincoln and that’s not too far away. Odd location though, that’s a little nothing town.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

I know I am going to be there come hell or high water.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I think I need to see tokyo skapara before I die.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Warbird posted:

drat, I wouldn’t mind seeing SkaPara or Kill Lincoln and that’s not too far away. Odd location though, that’s a little nothing town.

Yeah, like Virginia Beach is right there. Not that I'm complaining when it's 10 minutes from me.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Shabadu posted:

I think I need to see tokyo skapara before I die.

I never thought I would get the chance, but managed to see them in NYC a few years ago. It was an incredible show, even though the venue was a weird mix of cabaret seating with a small dancefloor.

Someone was going around handing out set lists after and it's wild how much effort they put into just listing what they are gonna play.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

lessthankyle posted:

I never thought I would get the chance, but managed to see them in NYC a few years ago. It was an incredible show, even though the venue was a weird mix of cabaret seating with a small dancefloor.

Someone was going around handing out set lists after and it's wild how much effort they put into just listing what they are gonna play.

I was going to drive from Indiana to that show, but lost my job about a month before it and couldn't make it happen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Abruptors finally have a specific release data announced for their new album, Noticeably Cheerless. It was supposed to be out last year and I'm not sure what happened -- upthread someone said it was currently difficult to get vinyl pressed for small artists -- but now it is scheduled for release on 2/23. I'm hyped, their first big single from it, Best Wishes, Warmest Regards, is a banger.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

The Abruptors finally have a specific release data announced for their new album, Noticeably Cheerless. It was supposed to be out last year and I'm not sure what happened -- upthread someone said it was currently difficult to get vinyl pressed for small artists -- but now it is scheduled for release on 2/23. I'm hyped, their first big single from it, Best Wishes, Warmest Regards, is a banger.

Pre-orders are up for it today, I hopped on the Teens in Trouble one already.

Backno posted:

I was going to drive from Indiana to that show, but lost my job about a month before it and couldn't make it happen.

It was definitely a show I'm glad I saw, but also kept thinking "Man, they deserve a much bigger venue than this." Hopefully Supernova gives them that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For anyone interested, Bad Time is kickstarting a New Tone documentary.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Hey, it's bandcamp Friday. Any albums from last year that I might have missed?

Some I'd like to highlight:

Behind Deadlines - Farew
I really loved these guys, but they dropped a surprise EP along with the break-up notice to soothe the sting a little bit. Philly has an okay scene, but it seems impossible to have more than 2 ongoing bands at once.
https://behinddeadlines.bandcamp.com/album/farew

Codename: Rocky - Blueprints
They changed singers and guitarists, but didn't change their sound very much. More punk with horns, than ska I guess, but I just love their sound.
https://wiretaprecords.bandcamp.com/album/blueprint

And not ska at all, but probably relevant to people reading this thread due to the Impossibles and Animal Chin connections, I was really surprised to stumble across a new album by The Stereo:
https://thestereo.bandcamp.com/album/thirteen

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Abruptors' new album Noticeably Cheerless has been released on Asian Man!

https://asianmanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/noticeably-cheerless

I've been very excited about this ever since the first single (Best Wishes, Warmest Regards) dropped. Just got my copy, won't be able to listen til later today but I'm looking forward to it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hate to double post, but this thread just doesn't see much traffic these days. When I was buying the Abruptors' album I also listened to new stuff out on Bad Time on Bandcamp, and picked up Bottom of the Pomps, by the Pomps, at the same time. I was not aware of this band, but I'm enjoying the album a lot! It apparently features members from Big D and the Kids Table, Westbound Train, Stray Bullets, and the Have Nots (the latter two are related already anyway); the singer is Big D's guitarist Alex Stern. I see it described as ska, and I think of it as more... ska-adjacent? Apparently the band has been around for like ten years, but they just put out this new album a couple weeks ago.

https://thepomps.bandcamp.com/album/bottom-of-the-pomps

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

I was just thinking of posting something about these guys. They've been in regular rotation for me since this dropped. I've seen a few interviews where they basically wanted to start out as two-tone band but picked up some other influences as they put things together.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

I was just thinking of posting something about these guys. They've been in regular rotation for me since this dropped. I've seen a few interviews where they basically wanted to start out as two-tone band but picked up some other influences as they put things together.

The Pomps are great! It's press copy from a 2016 e-mail, but I've always loved this description because it sums them up perfectly: "In 2011, Alex Stern recognized a problem of his own creation: He was in a reggae band that was firmly committed to writing within its genre, but, his songs were grounded in a fascination with late 70’s Power-Pop and New Wave. He was simultaneously in a New Wave band that objected to his insistence on a singularly Jamaican syncopation. He formed The Pomps with an ear towards an amalgam of the 2 styles, and a hope that it would be a solution." As a fun side note to that, I saw in an interview with Tim from Catbite where he commented/joked that he wanted to hear more bands sound like the Pomps...so he started Catbite.

I hadn't really given the Abruptors a listen before, but that new album is great. I've listened to it a lot in the past week.

The other new release that I've been listening to a lot is from The Collywobbles. They're an Italian ska-punk band, with a full horn line, a keyboard, and dueling male/female vocals. Here's the lead track off the new album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dh0Y5nVx2s

And my favorite off their previous album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUzTiLhn_E

How did I hear about them, you ask? They posted this video in a ska group on Facebook:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbEinDuwqb0
Lord knows what prompted an Italian ska band to cover the Bloodhound Gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

New Faintest Idea on the 31st!

I for one am looking forward to rocking the gently caress out to it.