Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many gimmick names have there been to spite/reference Vince?

Virgil -> Vincent
Voodoo Kin Mafia

Alright that's a short list but surely there are more I don't remember.

V.K. Wallstreet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wonder if Dusty had a hand in naming Virgil Vincent.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of the Runnels boys, how quickly did Dustin go from being Seven to Not Seven?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The whole thing was a worked shoot. He came down in the costume and said "gently caress this Goldust ripoff, Goldust sucked" in his first in ring appearance.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm reading this article about the Great Muta on The Ringer and this stuck out to me. What's the deal with it being called the NWA "Worlds" Heavyweight Championship? Its not written as a possessive, so its a championship for multiple worlds? Like they promote shows on Mars?
I just want you to know it has bothered me ever since I first learned about it, too. Especially since they absolutely just mean world's as far as I have ever been able to tell. The only chance it has any meaning is if it was referring to territories as worlds but... no, no it was not. This was like the 1950s not 20XX

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Halloween Jack posted:

The whole thing was a worked shoot. He came down in the costume and said "gently caress this Goldust ripoff, Goldust sucked" in his first in ring appearance.

In other words, if it wasn't a worked shoot the entire time the pivot from Seven to Not Seven was a few weeks before his debut when someone told Dustin everyone thought his sleep paralysis demon gimmick looked like a pedophile and they needed to change it.

(I don't think there's a shoot interview that says if the plan was to always call it a bad idea, at least.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, I'm talking about a gimmick change where everyone is expected to accept that this is a completely different character or even person and not say a word despite them being well-known and/or their last appearance being just a few weeks/months ago.

Doom debuted in masks and everyone is like "well you have two gigantic black men in the company and both of them aren't here now, so okay, it's Ron and Butch."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Speaking of the Runnels boys, how quickly did Dustin go from being Seven to Not Seven?
exactly one year, same as all other children

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Didn't they turn Mosh into Beaver Cleavage pretty fast after Thrasher went out with the injury? Then I'm pretty sure they dropped it even faster but they actually explained that kinda.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Who?

jesus WEP posted:

:golfclap: bravo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

281 330 8004

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cavauro posted:

brodie lee's act as the exalted one included a lot of vince mannerisms. it branched out from there but you could say the gimmick was mostly vince-based early on

Makes sense, Brodie Lee's whole act in AEW was "the Higher Power done right".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What I’m hearing is that following his reveal as the higher power in June of 1999, Vince McMahon should have gone on to squash *checks cagematch* Jeff Jarrett for the IC title.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

laffo

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TheKingslayer posted:

Didn't they turn Mosh into Beaver Cleavage pretty fast after Thrasher went out with the injury? Then I'm pretty sure they dropped it even faster but they actually explained that kinda.
Thrasher went out with an injury in January 1999, and Mosh also disappeared from TV until May when they started the Beaver Cleavage vignettes. He had one match as Harry "Beaver" Cleavage before disappearing for another three weeks, ten returning to walk out of a backstage interview AS A SHOOT BRO, THIS IS LIVE AND NOT IN THE SCRIPT BRO.

On June 28, 1999: "Well, Michael Cole, all due respect to you and to the creative team of the World Wrestling Federation, I've been down gimmick alley before. I've been a Spider, I've been a Head Banger, I was a Sister of Love, and then I was Harry 'Beaver' Cleavage. Through the support of my girlfriend Marianna, she's convinced me to go out on my own and do what I've always wanted to do - become my own star here in the World Wrestling Federation. I'm Chaz, I'm a kid from New Jersey, I'm here to have fun and THAT'S what I'm gonna do." The following week he loses his match against Jeff Jarrett but Mosh runs out and makes the save! (Mosh doesn't wrestle until some house shows in September, so presumably he wasn't ready to go)

Chaz floats around jobbing on B/C shows for a couple of months until September where Marianna shows up with a black eye and there's a weird worked-shoot thing where everyone in the company is SUPER PISSED at Chaz for being a domestic abuser so wrestlers beat him up extra hard and refs intentionally gently caress him over and police keep coming in to re-arrest him, but by the first week of October Thrasher finds GTV footage of her applying domestic violence make-up in order to press false charges, which means she is guilty and sent to jail and never seen again. And the Headbangers were officially back, ready to beat Chris Jericho in their return match!

For anyone wondering, the domestic violence angle was started when Russo and Ferrera were still writing, and the GTV wrap-up aired on Heat the week after they jumped to WCW.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for that writeup, particularly as thanks to this thread I now laugh every time I see Vince McMahon having a babyface's motivation be "just here to have fun"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Thanks for that writeup, particularly as thanks to this thread I now laugh every time I see Vince McMahon having a babyface's motivation be "just here to have fun"

The last, and possibly worst time this happened before I quit watching WWE was with Asuka. They should have made her sing a karaoke-version of the Cyndi Lauper song.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dr. Quarex posted:

It didn't even occur to me that Chaz was Patient Zero of Justwantstohavefunitis.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Lo Down is top of the list for most underrated tag team. Too bad they got torpedoed by Tiger Ali Singh

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Lurks With Wolves posted:

In other words, if it wasn't a worked shoot the entire time the pivot from Seven to Not Seven was a few weeks before his debut when someone told Dustin everyone thought his sleep paralysis demon gimmick looked like a pedophile and they needed to change it.

(I don't think there's a shoot interview that says if the plan was to always call it a bad idea, at least.)

IIRC, the gimmick was scrapped because of the network. They didn't like the implications of a character who looks into children's bedrooms while they're sleeping. The worked shoot was just WCW's way of disposing of it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

While not an overnight gimmick switch, I will never not laugh at Lord Tensei’s reveal

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Thrasher went out with an injury in January 1999, and Mosh also disappeared from TV until May when they started the Beaver Cleavage vignettes. He had one match as Harry "Beaver" Cleavage before disappearing for another three weeks, ten returning to walk out of a backstage interview AS A SHOOT BRO, THIS IS LIVE AND NOT IN THE SCRIPT BRO.

On June 28, 1999: "Well, Michael Cole, all due respect to you and to the creative team of the World Wrestling Federation, I've been down gimmick alley before. I've been a Spider, I've been a Head Banger, I was a Sister of Love, and then I was Harry 'Beaver' Cleavage. Through the support of my girlfriend Marianna, she's convinced me to go out on my own and do what I've always wanted to do - become my own star here in the World Wrestling Federation. I'm Chaz, I'm a kid from New Jersey, I'm here to have fun and THAT'S what I'm gonna do." The following week he loses his match against Jeff Jarrett but Mosh runs out and makes the save! (Mosh doesn't wrestle until some house shows in September, so presumably he wasn't ready to go)

Chaz floats around jobbing on B/C shows for a couple of months until September where Marianna shows up with a black eye and there's a weird worked-shoot thing where everyone in the company is SUPER PISSED at Chaz for being a domestic abuser so wrestlers beat him up extra hard and refs intentionally gently caress him over and police keep coming in to re-arrest him, but by the first week of October Thrasher finds GTV footage of her applying domestic violence make-up in order to press false charges, which means she is guilty and sent to jail and never seen again. And the Headbangers were officially back, ready to beat Chris Jericho in their return match!

For anyone wondering, the domestic violence angle was started when Russo and Ferrera were still writing, and the GTV wrap-up aired on Heat the week after they jumped to WCW.

I appreciate this because the wiki was a little vague about when Thrasher went down and it makes it seem like they repackaged Mosh like, weeks later. I remember watching it at the time but my perception of timelines is kinda stretched.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Didn’t the Chaz/Marianna abuse angle run subsequent to Jeff Jarrett’s misogynist run where he would beat women in the ring?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Didn’t the Chaz/Marianna abuse angle run subsequent to Jeff Jarrett’s misogynist run where he would beat women in the ring?

Looking at Chaz's wiki and when the Good House Keeping match happened and... yep! Russo, you've done it again!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
A little earlier than that but they also ran an angle where it appeared Marc Mero might or might not have been physically abusing Sable. They dropped that pretty quickly though.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

What I’m hearing is that following his reveal as the higher power in June of 1999, Vince McMahon should have gone on to squash *checks cagematch* Jeff Jarrett for the IC title.

Oh, come on, that's bullshit and you know it.

Brodie didn't even win the TNT belt until five months after his debut. Vince would've had to squash Chyna.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

While not an overnight gimmick switch, I will never not laugh at Lord Tensei’s reveal
I wish I could disagree given how much I loved Albert but, yeah, pretty much.

Not that his wrestling was even all of the problem, but does anyone know if he somehow had lost a step since his apparently good run in Japan, or if WWE was just like "do not go out and do all that cool stuff, nobody wants to see you be a good wrestler?"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
His re-debut on RAW was less than two months after his final match in NJPW, so it's probably the latter.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Speaking of Tensai and gimmick changes, what's the quickest turnaround from hulking monster to dancing comedy gimmick? That happened with a ton of big dudes in the fed, but I know some happened faster than others.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Brodus Clay iirc was advertised as a monster and showed up as a dancing idiot immediately instead

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bonk posted:

Speaking of Tensai and gimmick changes, what's the quickest turnaround from hulking monster to dancing comedy gimmick? That happened with a ton of big dudes in the fed, but I know some happened faster than others.

The Shockmaster, I don't know if he was doing comedy skits by the next tapings but it was so fast after that.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
When did TV turn from an advertisement for the house shows into the principal product for WCW and WWF?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pay Per View becoming the big revenue driver started the trend of TV meaning more but Nitro hitting really signaled the era of TV being the principal product

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

When did TV turn from an advertisement for the house shows into the principal product for WCW and WWF?

TV turned from a house show advertisement to an advertisement for PPVs when PPVs became the main revenue driver in the early 90s. In the 2010s TV became the main revenue source and the advent of the Network made individual shows less important so TV was the most important thing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I wish I could disagree given how much I loved Albert but, yeah, pretty much.

Not that his wrestling was even all of the problem, but does anyone know if he somehow had lost a step since his apparently good run in Japan, or if WWE was just like "do not go out and do all that cool stuff, nobody wants to see you be a good wrestler?"

It's WWE, I think the answer is obvious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bonk posted:

According to Don Callis it happened overnight with Kurgan when Vince saw Kurgan dancing with his wife at a reception. Callis tried to warn him but once Vince saw 'large man moving his body to rhythm' it was over.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bonk posted:

It happened twice to Matt Bloom alone!

The first time Albert started dancing as "The Hip Hop Hippo" alongside Scotty 2 Hotty a couple of years into his first run. He later turned on Scotty, took some time off and came back as A-TRAIN.
It only took about nine months to go from LORD TENSAI to one half of Tons of Funk.

I think Brodus Clay has to be the quickest repackaging (in that his vignettes were for A MONSTER and he immediately showed up as the Funkasaurus), but it's worth saying that Brodus Clay was on NXT, then the main roster as Alberto del Rio's bodyguard/generic monster heel on B/C shows for over a year before re debuting as the Funkasaurus.

It's also tricky because technically he'd been banging around WWF with multiple gimmicks for nearly a decade, but Rikishi Fatu was just sort of a generic big tough guy for a few months on Heat/Shotgun Saturday Night before making what I believe was his Raw debut saving Too Cool and then dancing with them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That was Jim Neidhart.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did Dustin Rhodes and Dusty Rhodes have a falling out in the mid 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why did Dustin Rhodes and Dusty Rhodes have a falling out in the mid 90s?

No idea but I'm gonna guess that it had its roots in Dustin's drug use and Dusty being a absentee dad