Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Anyone have any class recommendations besides the obvious upgrades? I liked playing with the classes in 3H a lot but these seem a little more oblique to me. Any neat combos like turning Edelgard into a wyvern rider kinda thing?

I don't think I like this as much as Three Houses but I am really enjoying it.

Edit: Also, is time passing still a problem? On the Divine Paralogue thing it says stuff like "20 turns will pass elsewhere" or something like that, do I need to care that I'm missing events or something offscreen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jimmydalad posted:

So is it worth working up to level 20 or is it ok to just rank up as soon as possible? I’ve chucked master seals on Jean and Alear but I got a new one and don’t know what to do.

apparently there's very little reason not to promote instantly; it doesn't mess with your xp gained

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

HellOnEarth posted:

Anyone have any class recommendations besides the obvious upgrades? I liked playing with the classes in 3H a lot but these seem a little more oblique to me. Any neat combos like turning Edelgard into a wyvern rider kinda thing?

I don't think I like this as much as Three Houses but I am really enjoying it.

Edit: Also, is time passing still a problem? On the Divine Paralogue thing it says stuff like "20 turns will pass elsewhere" or something like that, do I need to care that I'm missing events or something offscreen?

I am pretty sure the 20 turn elsewhere is just saying it is a long and involved map since it is in the palce where other maps list thier reccomended level and the dlc map(s) rise to match your progress instead of having a fixed level

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don't think I understand bond rings. Should I just be burning my bong crystals to make 10 random rings at a time?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Just how much of a bonus is Jean’s personal skill?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any reason not to just adopt every animal you see? Like is there a limited amount of space in the stable?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Overbite posted:

I don't think I understand bond rings. Should I just be burning my bong crystals to make 10 random rings at a time?
They're there to give bonuses to your non-Emblem wearing units. You only need as many as you want, unless it's for collection purposes. Otherwise Bond Crystals are better spent in the Arena.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Overbite posted:

I think bond rings are mostly for the period of the game when you don't have enough emblems for each character you are fielding and while some give unique skills when equiped (Sothe S rank has Bane for example). An actual emblem is probably better most of the time and since bond crystal can be used to level up emblem bond without fielding them I rolled the 10 roll a couple of times in the begining of the game and then saved my crystals for bond level up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

apparently there's very little reason not to promote instantly; it doesn't mess with your xp gained

Don't you lose out on 10 potential levelups still?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

you have infinite levelups with second seals

(not that losing out on level cap has ever mattered in any game)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah I only made enough bond rings so that everyone could earn sp when it unlocked and haven’t touched it since.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Appropriately enough dogs seem like the best animals, since they give you more forging materials. Got a fish from cats and otherwise animals give you the food you'd expect.

cheetah7071 posted:

while obviously you do what you need to do to access classes, Marth is going to be somewhat hampered on an archer because one of his better skills only activates when you break an enemy

And Lightning Speed seems to be either melee-only or Sword only, yeah. Lyn might be better whenever she shows up, if she has both swords and bows, but Marth seems to be the evasion-focused sword Emblem and that's probably what Etie needs.

FrickenMoron posted:

With Second Seals, you always have more room to level, so you can't ever "lose out" on levels. It's just a matter of how much money it'll cost to get them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

you have infinite levelups with second seals

(not that losing out on level cap has ever mattered in any game)

It matters in RD and Conquest for some characters. That's about it though.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Einander posted:

With Second Seals, you always have more room to level, so you can't ever "lose out" on levels. It's just a matter of how much money it'll cost to get them.

Big problem is I've heard game is stingy with money if you don't grind.

Granted, it's probably a cost/bonus based on how much EXP you get, how good the bonuses are, how much you need extra stats now...

Specially if you're like my Alear who refuses to gain any STR, I'm half temoted to give him an Energy Drop.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
My Etie keeps getting MVP on every map I field her. She’s got so much strength that any flier does if they sneeze in her direction. Fielding both her and Alcryst made him look even worse. She’s a walking ballista.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Carlosologist posted:

The conversation that the Emblem 3H lords were having inside the ring was just Edelgard reading pages and pages of online discourse

I’ve been giving horse poo to my worst performing units so the Somniel does have its purpose

Edelgard reads and wades into discourse
Claude makes memes and writes fanfiction
Dmitri reposts Important News Stories to Raise Awareness

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why is there a random village in Firenne full of British people?

It's technically part of Firenne but it's actually an island right next to it, I guess in Engage Britain is just part of France

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It sounds from this thread like the game is pretty fun and more of a traditional Fire Emblem experience with limited available classes, exp and money, but the ability to do emergency grinding? I think I'm gonna get it this weekend.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I hate Alfred's frilled collar

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Not all of the character designs hit for me but I appreciate how they went all out. Like, the outfit made of multicolor bubbles rules? I also think hitting 'saturday morning cartoon' tonally makes the home base castle way less off putting than it was in Fates

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

This is so much more punishing than 3H I'm considering going down to Normal. I've been stuck on Ch.5 today and I have no idea how I'm supposed to take hits in this one. Even avoiding any matchups where I'd get broken I feel like the enemies hit twice as hard as I do for anyone but Engaged Alear or Céline doing Warp Ragnarok. Everything else requires 3 actions to delete an enemy and with just Framme around for healing I'm losing on attrition big time. I gave my Sigurd Ring to Alfred and... All that means is he can zip face first into things without even catching that thief because he dies if I send him that way without backup, which is too slow anyway. Any goons able to give me some pointers here?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Give the Sigurd Ring to Louis and just tank everything with him (except mages). head left with everyone and don't be afraid to use the healing items instead of just staff healing. With Louis having the sigurd ring you can easily zip through the entire enemy line or just body block the thief.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Give Sigurd to Louis instead. Watch in awe as he destroys everything on his own.

e;fb

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is it weird that in the introduction of Emblem Marth that my primary takeaway was that this this random axe mook is in fact cool as gently caress?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Caidin posted:

Is it weird that in the introduction of Emblem Marth that my primary takeaway was that this this random axe mook is in fact cool as gently caress?

No he was freaking awesome I loved him, what a champ

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, it kinda just makes the random goon look really badass for being able to last so long against two dudes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Syrnn posted:

This is so much more punishing than 3H I'm considering going down to Normal. I've been stuck on Ch.5 today and I have no idea how I'm supposed to take hits in this one. Even avoiding any matchups where I'd get broken I feel like the enemies hit twice as hard as I do for anyone but Engaged Alear or Céline doing Warp Ragnarok. Everything else requires 3 actions to delete an enemy and with just Framme around for healing I'm losing on attrition big time. I gave my Sigurd Ring to Alfred and... All that means is he can zip face first into things without even catching that thief because he dies if I send him that way without backup, which is too slow anyway. Any goons able to give me some pointers here?

In addition to what the others have said about giving Sigurd to Louis, you're not on a time limit. You can leave the gate closed until you've completely cleaned up the left side of the map if you want, or if you do open it early you can bait out individual unit groups and overwhelm them with numbers while you slowly crawl forward.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dragon Mom is really hot, rip

Does Alear's non-existent Dad ever become a plot point?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

In addition to what the others have said about giving Sigurd to Louis, you're not on a time limit. You can leave the gate closed until you've completely cleaned up the left side of the map if you want, or if you do open it early you can bait out individual unit groups and overwhelm them with numbers while you slowly crawl forward.

I never opened the gate, I just moved everyone to the left side and broke the rubble and funneled the enemies into a grinder.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dragon Mom is really hot, rip

Does Alear's non-existent Dad ever become a plot point?

Will be very surprised if he doesn't.

Though by like the chapter 5 I feel like I already have a decent guess for what the deal is there.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My guess after Ch6 so far (dont spoil please): Dragon mom isn't our actual mom at all. We were the evil red hair Alear but she spent 1000 years trying to "purify" us thats why we have the mixed red/blue hair

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm guessing she's Alear's actual mum but dad is evil dragon and Alear has the potential to be like either of them and 1000 years ago they were definitely more like Dad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did enjoy (spoilers through Ch 3) Marth's response to Alear's question about "what was I like back then?" being "uh... don't worry about it"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean Alear's dad is obviously the evil dragon. I'm not even going to spoiler that because I have no textual reason to believe it; I'm hoping it'll turn out to be something more mundane like dragon parthenogenesis or their dad being a plain ol' human but lmao fat chance it'll be anything other than the most anime option

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
trials give the hard death quote when people drop, but no one actually dies as a heads up.

they're also kind of bastards and some romhack rear end bullshit for some of these

quote="Syrnn" post="529266203"]
[/quote]

The early game is rough. Your crew is small and the twins aren't great, Vander needs to be replaced when possible, and while Chloé and Louis bothexist they can't do eeeeverything. Five in particular is a hard chapter, but after that you get more crew, more options, and your own cast will probably start getting reasonably powerful.

I recommend using your energy drop, the +2 strength, on Chloé to fully get her online off her drab pegasus starting stats. Give Siggy to either her or Louis, you can level the bond up in the arena in Sominel (probably, it might not be open yet) if you need big stat boost for them. You don't need to rush the thief, he'll rifle through chests and wander towards the map exit on the west, yeah, but that takes like six turns. Take your time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh yeah, absolutely, the game isn't subtle about that (Ch6 spoilers) Between Veyle looking for her sibling (who is absolutely Alear), the evil redheaded flashbacks and Zephia saying Lumera never had progeny Alear is 100% Sombron's kid/an unrelated evil dragon who was mindwiped into being good.

...gently caress, I just realized Veyle's stone could be Alear's dragonstone if dragons still need one on this setting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clanne feels like one of the best characters in the earlygame tbh.

Even if that is just because he is a mage fast enough to double a lot of dudes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Almost all concerns in early game can be remedied by remembering that Alear has Camilla's personal skill and you should always try to position your units to take advantage of it

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
giving people horse poo poo is v funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sudden Javelin posted:

giving people horse poo poo is v funny

it doesn't actually lower support points either so there's no penalty

make them eat poo poo