Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think it's pretty clear why a cult dedicated to turtles would venerate a Splinter

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think it's pretty clear why a cult dedicated to turtles would venerate a Splinter

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Genuinely this is why I love let's plays and live streams, is for reactions like that. You can't fake that. That's awesome. What a cool game to actually enable that level of immersion in the first place.

Youtube started recommending more playthroughs after I looked that up and lmao at this death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlNBw64_OAA&t=6184s

Perfect timing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cyberpunk 2077: i straight up got very sad after Jackie died and you go to his wake, that character ruled and that whole story arc was very well done

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Remember that you can still call his answering machine even after he's gone!

For all the childishly puerile stuff Cyberpunk flirts with, it really shines when it's doing sincere character beats. See you in the major leagues, pal.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Squidster posted:

Remember that you can still call his answering machine even after he's gone!

For all the childishly puerile stuff Cyberpunk flirts with, it really shines when it's doing sincere character beats. See you in the major leagues, pal.

Gods, yeah.
I accidentally called him and it was really nice.
Also, I always have to mention this.
You can always avoid drinking booze or smoking when V is in control, and no one gives you poo poo for it.

There's so many things it fucks up, but turning down the shot from Jackie and hearing him just kind of chuckle and admit he just wanted more to drink was cute.
As was throwing your shot into the memorial fire.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing a Winnie the Pooh game on ps2 that's really cute, Piglet's Big Game, in which Piglet goes into his friends dreams and scares off any heffalumps and woozles that are causing problems. It's a very cute game with strong art direction, like in Roo's dream everything is made of cardboard and decorated with crayon, so in the opening room there's a chair that has the back painted on the wall and the arms and seat as a little cardboard standee to give it depth. Also the enemy designs are starting to play with the main combat mechanic. The main idea is that you have to lock eyes with an enemy at which point it prompts you to press X, and a line is drawn between you and the enemy. As the enemy walks down the line you hurt it by putting in button prompts of varying lengths to pull "Brave Faces" and scare them off, and you unlock more powerful faces as you progress. The normal enemies just walk down the line and stop if spooked and continue, but the Bee Heffalumps are faster as they can fly but it's tempered because they retreat along the line if you hit them, resetting the timer, and the first boss is against three "Hide-and Seek Woozles" who have periods where they hide in their cloaks so that your faces don't scare them, so you hold off on completing the button string until they reveal their faces again. It's getting quite interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing the later levels and enemies.

Also the reason you can't skip to later levels is cute too - everyone else is awake and so aren't dreaming, it's only Pooh and Roo sleeping at first.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
A clever little thing I realized Pokemon does, and has done for quite a long time now: every time they introduce a new evolution for an existing Pokemon, it's through a means that literally didn't exist in previous games. Using a mechanic that wasn't there before, or learn a move that didn't exist before now, something like that. That doesn't just help with putting spotlight to new mechanics, it also provides a handy in-universe explanation for why this evolution only turned up now. Of course you couldn't get a Dudunsparce before the new games; it required Dunsparce to learn Hyper Drill, and that move didn't exist before.

Unfortunately, I realized this because of the one time they broke it: since Sword and Shield they've changed Pokemon that used to evolve when leveling up in certain areas to just evolve with an evolutionary stone, probably so that they don't have to keep putting highly magnetic caves in new regions solely for the two Pokemon that evolve there (which sucks, stuff like that was the funniest part of new regions). But most of them just use the normal-rear end evolutionary stones from gen 1, so now the logic of why you couldn't get Magnezone before gen 4 is broken!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing a Winnie the Pooh game on ps2 that's really cute, Piglet's Big Game, in which Piglet goes into his friends dreams and scares off any heffalumps and woozles that are causing problems. It's a very cute game with strong art direction, like in Roo's dream everything is made of cardboard and decorated with crayon, so in the opening room there's a chair that has the back painted on the wall and the arms and seat as a little cardboard standee to give it depth. Also the enemy designs are starting to play with the main combat mechanic. The main idea is that you have to lock eyes with an enemy at which point it prompts you to press X, and a line is drawn between you and the enemy. As the enemy walks down the line you hurt it by putting in button prompts of varying lengths to pull "Brave Faces" and scare them off, and you unlock more powerful faces as you progress. The normal enemies just walk down the line and stop if spooked and continue, but the Bee Heffalumps are faster as they can fly but it's tempered because they retreat along the line if you hit them, resetting the timer, and the first boss is against three "Hide-and Seek Woozles" who have periods where they hide in their cloaks so that your faces don't scare them, so you hold off on completing the button string until they reveal their faces again. It's getting quite interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing the later levels and enemies.

Also the reason you can't skip to later levels is cute too - everyone else is awake and so aren't dreaming, it's only Pooh and Roo sleeping at first.

You never cease to amaze me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Unfortunately, I realized this because of the one time they broke it: since Sword and Shield they've changed Pokemon that used to evolve when leveling up in certain areas to just evolve with an evolutionary stone, probably so that they don't have to keep putting highly magnetic caves in new regions solely for the two Pokemon that evolve there (which sucks, stuff like that was the funniest part of new regions). But most of them just use the normal-rear end evolutionary stones from gen 1, so now the logic of why you couldn't get Magnezone before gen 4 is broken!

To be fair they already hosed up with this way back in the day when “level up with X move” was introduced since Piloswine was able to learn Ancient Power before Gen 4, and iirc the same applies to Lickitung and Rollout, but yeah it’s a neat little bit of lore to have there just not be the external stimulu or having the moveset to learn X be only in Y region since the latter was a thing in Gen 3 with the same mons having different level up sets depending on being in Hoenn or Kanto, even if it’s probably better that you don’t have to wait until the end of the game to evolve the cute little beetle you got in Route 1.

And then Gen 9 came up with the most “my uncle works at Nintendo” evo method ever with Kingambit and Anihilape, but at least the game gives an ingame hint towards the latter.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Last Celebration posted:

And then Gen 9 came up with the most “my uncle works at Nintendo” evo method ever with Kingambit and Anihilape, but at least the game gives an ingame hint towards the latter.

I think that title is still held by Inkay from X/Y and “hold your 3ds upside down irl while leveling up”

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Piglet's Big Game

oh i played this one! you have to attack the scenery to smack cookies out of it

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Misread this as Piglet's Big Game Hunter at first

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

biosterous posted:

oh i played this one! you have to attack the scenery to smack cookies out of it

Something I'm really appreciating is the sense of scale, especially in Eeyore's dream - you find a larger version of his stick house in an early area, then solve a puzzle that opens a basement staircase that leads to a massive hallway, and as you cross the hallway the camera shifts dramatically making the other end loom larger and larger and it truly makes you feel small The game generally has a fantastic atmosphere despite it's simplicity.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Misread this as Piglet's Big Game Hunter at first

"Oh, d-d-d-deer!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tribbledirigible posted:

"Oh, d-d-d-deer!"

:negative:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Roblo posted:

You never cease to amaze me

Reading bioenchanted posts is like reading the ancient Ducktales mmorpg joke thread only I google the game he's talking about and somehow it's real.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a very long game in which you are accidentally setting yourself on fire constantly, so I'm impressed they made enough funny voice lines that it never gets old.

"AWAY, child of Hephaestus!"
"drat! That's good leather."

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Breetai posted:

Reading bioenchanted posts is like reading the ancient Ducktales mmorpg joke thread only I google the game he's talking about and somehow it's real.

tell me more about this DuckTales mmorpg

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nameless Pete posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a very long game in which you are accidentally setting yourself on fire constantly, so I'm impressed they made enough funny voice lines that it never gets old.

"AWAY, child of Hephaestus!"
"drat! That's good leather."

I like the utter frustration of Bayek in AC: Origins when it happens to him, his frantic but also very tired "poo poo. poo poo. poo poo! poo poo!" as he tries to pat out the flames is never not funny.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's pretty annoying when you manage to roll down a mountain in Just Cause 2 because your controls are locked and there's nothing to be done about it until its over, but it is a good punchline when after it's finally over Rico stands up, dusts himself off, and just goes "Sheesh!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Snake Maze posted:

I think that title is still held by Inkay from X/Y and “hold your 3ds upside down irl while leveling up”

Runerigus from Sword/Shield takes the cake here.

‘Take x amount of damage in one battle without dying and then walk under one specific stone arch in an area filled with them!’

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been playing the first Paper Mario this past week and have generally been having a good time, but it feels like the game finally kicked into gear when I got a badge that lets me swap partners and give them an action on the same turn in battles. Combat suddenly feels much snappier and tactically fun when I'm not wasting entire turns swapping characters, like it should've been that way from the start.

The badge is hidden just enough that I kinda think I didn't run across it when I played the game 15 or so years ago, I just have vague memories of combat seeming slow. I remember it from the sequel, but it was one you could just buy from a badge merchant as far as I recall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fire Emblem: Three Hopes. I never would have expected a Fire Emblem lord to have a support where they go "Hmmm. You know what my kingdom needs? A Parliament to give commoners as well as nobles a direct voice in government."

And then, on the advice of a local crime lord, agree that for such a representative body to be effective and allow commoners to properly represent themselves, the common people will need education. So the crown needs to start building schools after the war and establish a government-funded system of free public education.

You may be a frothing berserker on the battlefield, Dimitri, and neurotic to say the least, but when you're firing on all cylinders you're a good egg.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I liked it in the original, and now that I'm onto the Dead Space remake I'm remembering just how much I appreciate that there's a button that goes bweeeoop and lights up a quick neon path to your current objective. I wish I had that in real life, I'd be using it every five seconds all day long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I liked it in the original, and now that I'm onto the Dead Space remake I'm remembering just how much I appreciate that there's a button that goes bweeeoop and lights up a quick neon path to your current objective. I wish I had that in real life, I'd be using it every five seconds all day long.

I liked how they updated it in the sequel where you could select where it went.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

I liked how they updated it in the sequel where you could select where it went.

That's actually from Dead Space 3!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Need this for when I don't know where to go for lunch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's actually from Dead Space 3!

Nope. Replayed ds2 a couple months ago and you could cycle it between objective, bench, shop and (I think) save point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Need this for when I don't know where to go for lunch.

Lunch? What's that? *pops in another med pack when I'm feeling that late morning low*

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The update with the extra colours in Dead Space 2 turned it into a lightshow

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Captain Hygiene posted:

On the other side of that coin, my favourite little thing is that in the remake they added a regular old map so I don't have to use the line.

My favourite little thing about Forspoken is that it apparently sucks so I bought Dead Space instead and it rocks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

CordlessPen posted:

My favourite little thing about Forspoken is that it apparently sucks so I bought Dead Space instead and it rocks.

The best thing about Forspoken is that it led to Austin Walker's great piece about the specific reason why character writing like that protagonist sucks.

https://www.clockworkworlds.com/post-cringe/

It's not smart or clever, it just kills any ability to take the world around them seriously and appreciate what the developers actually made. The Japanese trailers were way better, because it was just focused on the actual world, taking it seriously with no schtick.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jan 28, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The best thing about Forspoken is that it led to Austin Walker's great piece about the specific reason why character writing like that protagonist sucks.

It's not smart or clever, it just kills any ability to take the world around them seriously and appreciate what the developers actually made. The Japanese trailers were way better, because it was just focused on the actual world, taking it seriously with no schtick.

Thanks for linking that essay. I liked especially this bit:

quote:

I think a lot of folks have confused "a funny character" with "a character who doesn't take their own situation, no matter how perilous or interesting it is, seriously."
For me, some of the best comedy comes when characters seriously engage with absurd situations (a.k.a. a farce). The contrast is a great source of humor, and because the characters are being serious, the setting's internal consistency isn't damaged by the writing. You can, if you need to, dip in and out of the comedy just by altering what kind of events are occurring moment-to-moment. You don't need to have fourth-wall-breaking personalities or to change how characters are written in order to make a joke land.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For me, some of the best comedy comes when characters seriously engage with absurd situations (a.k.a. a farce). The contrast is a great source of humor, and because the characters are being serious, the setting's internal consistency isn't damaged by the writing. You can, if you need to, dip in and out of the comedy just by altering what kind of events are occurring moment-to-moment. You don't need to have fourth-wall-breaking personalities or to change how characters are written in order to make a joke land.

I think an interesting pair of comparisons that came up on Twitter in response were Dante from Devil May Cry and Sonic the Hedgehog. Which I think have three things in their favor that other stuff like this doesn't, and Forspoken in particular fumbles all three.

1.They're both pretty jokey characters prone to quips, but the world around them is part of the joke rather than the target of it. Dante might be giving the demons some poo poo, but there's a good chance that they'll return fire, and even if they don't, he's still in a world that gives him a guitar that shoots lightning.

2. There's a genuine enthusiasm to both of them; they're never bored or frustrated, they actually like being there. It's hard to hate a world that the protagonist is having a good time in.

3. They never no-sell the world they're going through, or the thing they're fighting against. Sonic might make jokes about Eggman, but he recognizes a threat as a threat and treats it accordingly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Hi-Fi Rush there is a scene where the characters come up with a grandiose plan that would probably take a lot of cinematic time and animation to do. They decide to bypass all of that by instead having the plan depicted as a Xenogears Disc 2 cutscene.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

To me the best examples of this are Airplane! and Police Squad/Naked Gun, both featuring the late great Leslie Nielsen. Those movies (and one TV show) work because while both the premise and jokes are absurd, the jokes especially being basically gag comedy, they treat and engage with the world around them seriously. It doesn't have everyone winking to the camera all the time trying to have the characters share a joke with the audience, they fundamentally wouldn't work if they didn't take themselves seriously

In games, I actually think a modern example that works really well is Strangers of Paradise. It's premise and the main character are both absurd, and the cutscenes are bonkers, but the game is amazing because everyone is taking it seriously internally. I remember everyone laughed at the game featuring "I Did it My Way" in the trailer, but I'll be danged if it didn't turn out to be a completely perfect song to end the game with, and that only works because the game takes itself seriously even when there's a bunch of stuff to laugh at. Obviously the writing targets are different, but I think the concept applies to it :shobon:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

He really was the best.

:cop: I'm sorry ma'am, we would have come sooner but your husband wasn't dead then

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Thanks for linking that essay. I liked especially this bit:

quote:
I think a lot of folks have confused "a funny character" with "a character who doesn't take their own situation, no matter how perilous or interesting it is, seriously."

This writer really hit a lot of modern "comedy" on the head- jokes that are embarrassed to be seen with the world and characters around them. Case in point: Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The first time we see Kylo Ren onscreen he almost immediately has the piss taken out of him by Poe who, while in handcuffs in front of a Sith lord, is all like "So, are you gonna talk, or do I talk first, how are we doing this?" How the hell do those movies expect us to take Kylo Ren seriously if that is the way we're first introduced to him?

Conversely, the first thing we see of Darth Vader is him rolling into an all white hallway while the Imperial March blares, then interrogating a dude so hard he kills him. gently caress yes.

Like, is it so hard to be earnest sometimes?! Christ! Anime is stupid as gently caress most of the time but by god you don't get Deku winking at the camera like "yeah, this is happening" whenever he uses his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

The guy didn't even play the drat game he's writing about. Most of his objections are addressed in the game and Frey initially not taking the world seriously is part of her character development.