Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

adnam posted:

I've got a bit of a question - back into cycling but I've got a newborn on the way and unlikely to have time outside for long group rides/road rides. I've got a Peloton the significant other and I share, and have been trying to get my FTP up in preparation for group riding when the wee one is bigger in the future. Big fan of Peloton's PZ training but hit a bit of a plateau. I was thinking of buying some power meter pedals and starting to ride on Zwift/Training Peaks' training program for improvement.

I was looking at the Favero Assioma Duos as my meter of choice, but I've been using SPD pedals/cleats so I also need to probably buy new shoes/cleats.

Is it worthwhile to convert to Duos (or Unos cause that's $$$), or should I look elsewhere?

You can get SPD PM pedals (Garmin Rally), but they’re not generally as well regarded as the Assiomas, and they’re also expensive.

Won’t your wife need new shoes as well if you get SPD-SL or Look Kep pedals?

I just learned of this project to bridge peloton sensors to normal cycling apps / devices, I’d 100% pursue this as it’ll solve your problem far cheaper https://intelligenate.com/dfc.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Heliosicle posted:

All the sizes are in stock on Mantel, could be they just aren't shipping them out of Europe in big enough numbers

Seems like the indoor equipment companies are getting hit harder than normal bike manufacturers so far. Not sure if that's just because bikes are just more useful in general (whereas indoor stuff is more of a luxury) or because most of the indoor companies were younger and may have had less sturdy foundations.

I think if you were in the indoor game at the start of 2020 the majority of the senior management teams eyes were so filled with dollar signs they might not have seen the decline coming. Combine that with Luxury brands not doing well in recessions and here we are.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tildes posted:

So yeah, it’s more like 3 or 4 inches, that makes more sense.

👍🏻👍🏻 thank you!

Not the first time 6 inches has ended up being more like 3 or 4 inches.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

wooger posted:

You can get SPD PM pedals (Garmin Rally), but they’re not generally as well regarded as the Assiomas, and they’re also expensive.

Won’t your wife need new shoes as well if you get SPD-SL or Look Kep pedals?

I just learned of this project to bridge peloton sensors to normal cycling apps / devices, I’d 100% pursue this as it’ll solve your problem far cheaper https://intelligenate.com/dfc.html

Holy moly. I didn't know this was in production

edit: looks like still in pre-order, and also only compatible with Bike, not Bike+

Probably gonna buy those SPD PM pedals and figure out wife's shoes.

adnam fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 20, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Sorry if I missed it, but what model of the Shimano pedal was everyone talking about? The one that's clipless on one side and cliplessless on the other? I'm thinking about dipping my toe into clipless, but I don't want that to be my only option on my road bike.

Also, since I have the D-Fuse adapter already, I think I'm going to eventually put a Topeak rack on my Contend AR 3. I really dig the Topeak mounting system on my Escape, and while I doubt I'll be running full panniers and using the Contend as a grocery-getter or anything, I would like to not wear a backpack when doing my next unsupported metric century (or longer) ride. Having a trunk full of goodies would be nice and comfortable, since I find that frame bags occasionally contact my knees. It's not painful, but I'm not a fan.

My plan is to attach it for those long solo rides and then just pop it off if I'm doing a supported ride and don't need all the extra space. It's four screws, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

How dumb is a cargo rack on a road bike? Not that I would change my mind because other people think it looks bad. I plan on getting at least one kit this year that you'll need earplugs to even glance at. I'm just curious if this is much of a thing or not. The Contend appears to have the lower bosses but not the upper ones, hence the adapter specific to the seatpost shape, so I'm guessing most folks don't do this.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

adnam posted:

I've got a bit of a question - back into cycling but I've got a newborn on the way and unlikely to have time outside for long group rides/road rides. I've got a Peloton the significant other and I share, and have been trying to get my FTP up in preparation for group riding when the wee one is bigger in the future. Big fan of Peloton's PZ training but hit a bit of a plateau. I was thinking of buying some power meter pedals and starting to ride on Zwift/Training Peaks' training program for improvement.

I was looking at the Favero Assioma Duos as my meter of choice, but I've been using SPD pedals/cleats so I also need to probably buy new shoes/cleats.

Is it worthwhile to convert to Duos (or Unos cause that's $$$), or should I look elsewhere?

You can buy the spindles on their own and fit them to a (limited) range of Shimano pedals including some SPD https://cycling.favero.com/shop/assioma-duo-shi.

The Assiomas are good. I got the Duo because I had no idea if I had a L/R imbalance and didn't want all my power readings to be off but it turns out I'm almost exactly 50/50. It's way more expensive to upgrade to Duo later though.

tarlibone posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but what model of the Shimano pedal was everyone talking about? The one that's clipless on one side and cliplessless on the other? I'm thinking about dipping my toe into clipless, but I don't want that to be my only option on my road bike.

I think the PD-EH500 is the latest model https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/PD-EH500.html.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tarlibone posted:

Shimano PD-T8000 are the ones I recommended.
PD-EH500 are pretty similar too.

tarlibone posted:

I would like to not wear a backpack when doing my next unsupported metric century (or longer) ride.

My plan is to attach it for those long solo rides and then just pop it off if I'm doing a supported ride and don't need all the extra space. It's four screws, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

How dumb is a cargo rack on a road bike?

It’s not dumb to have a rack on a road bike, if you use it daily for commuting and want to use panniers, but I’d question if it’s necessary for your use case. 100km rides I wouldn’t take anything other than bottles and a jersey pocket of gels and oat bars. Beyond that I might stop for water, wouldn’t *need* to stop for food unless there’s a nice cafe/pub I want to try.

Jersey pockets are ultra stretchy and capacious. With the right clothing choices there’s nothing you’ll need a bag for either.

Beyond that I might look at a saddlepack with a rigid support like this https://alpkit.com/collections/bikepacking-saddle-bags or maybe a handlebar bag for convenience if you don’t like frame bags. What are you planning to carry that doesn’t fit in a pocket?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

wooger posted:

Jersey pockets are ultra stretchy and capacious. With the right clothing choices there’s nothing you’ll need a bag for either.

I do rides of up to about 200km with a top tube feed bag like this https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/soft-goods/products/1-ec-energy-v2l04 for gels/nuts/sweets, a small saddle bag for tools/tubes/co2 and something savoury like a wrap or sandwich in my jersey pocket. Having the snacks up front where you can reach them easily means you can be eating small amounts regularly (at least every 45 minutes) which will keep you going better than occasionally stopping for a bigger feed.

I've done a couple of 3-7 day lightweight (just a single change of clothes and a towel) cycle tours on a road bike with no rack mounts with just this large, post mounted saddle bag https://carradice.co.uk/shop/saddlebags/originals-nelson-longflap-saddlebag/?v=79cba1185463 (and the SQR quick release mount) but I didn't smell good by the end of either of them. It made the bike handling awful too, because it's a heavy bag in an odd position on a light racing bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
SRM also makes a SPD power pedal.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

tarlibone posted:

Also, since I have the D-Fuse adapter already, I think I'm going to eventually put a Topeak rack on my Contend AR 3. I really dig the Topeak mounting system on my Escape, and while I doubt I'll be running full panniers and using the Contend as a grocery-getter or anything, I would like to not wear a backpack when doing my next unsupported metric century (or longer) ride. Having a trunk full of goodies would be nice and comfortable, since I find that frame bags occasionally contact my knees. It's not painful, but I'm not a fan.

How dumb is a cargo rack on a road bike? Not that I would change my mind because other people think it looks bad. I plan on getting at least one kit this year that you'll need earplugs to even glance at. I'm just curious if this is much of a thing or not. The Contend appears to have the lower bosses but not the upper ones, hence the adapter specific to the seatpost shape, so I'm guessing most folks don't do this.

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano...=BC-ShipConfirm

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Shimano PD-T8000 are the ones I recommended.
PD-EH500 are pretty similar too.

It’s not dumb to have a rack on a road bike, if you use it daily for commuting and want to use panniers, but I’d question if it’s necessary for your use case. 100km rides I wouldn’t take anything other than bottles and a jersey pocket of gels and oat bars. Beyond that I might stop for water, wouldn’t *need* to stop for food unless there’s a nice cafe/pub I want to try.

Beyond that I might look at a saddlepack with a rigid support like this https://alpkit.com/collections/bikepacking-saddle-bags or maybe a handlebar bag for convenience if you don’t like frame bags. What are you planning to carry that doesn’t fit in a pocket?

Well, I get really in my head about preparing for stuff, so I'm one of those people who, well, over-packs. You should see my checklists (multiple!) for a simple weekend camping trip.

Since my route didn't go close to many businesses of any kind (long stretches were either on rail-trails that are in undeveloped or residential areas, or just plain out in the country), I couldn't count on replenishing my water or food supply mid-ride. So, I took a lot of stuff: a hydration pack full of iced water (in addition to my frame bottles), a couple of bananas, one apple, a couple of granola bars (love me some oats & honey crunchy bars), and two Uncrustables. That sounds like a lot, and I might be able to get away with less. Since I was already taking the hydration backpack, though, I decided to just add plenty of food.

Oh... yeah, and also, this: this ride was on October 1st, and I knew that the temperature would go from cold to pretty warm during the ride. So, I started in my cool weather kit, but I took off the thermal jacket about a quarter way through the ride, and the tights were swapped for shorts at the halfway point. So, I also had laundry.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the links, folks! Much appreciated.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 21, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

SRM also makes a SPD power pedal.

Yeah it’s also dummy expensive with nothing to support the price

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah it’s also dummy expensive with nothing to support the price

...and like a 30 hour battery life in real world usage.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Walmart has a drop bar gravel bike for $128 and it seems to be not bad?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-Genesis-700C-Bohe-Men-s-Gravel-Bike-Denim-Blue/165760666

This was posted in one of my local FB bike groups. At this price point, you can excuse a lot of flaws. Might be cool to experiment with too. If I had the space, I'd be tempted.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

T Zero posted:

Walmart has a drop bar gravel bike for $128 and it seems to be not bad?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-Genesis-700C-Bohe-Men-s-Gravel-Bike-Denim-Blue/165760666

This was posted in one of my local FB bike groups. At this price point, you can excuse a lot of flaws. Might be cool to experiment with too. If I had the space, I'd be tempted.

KevCentral, has a review https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3BznYNzYi6k

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They really need to reassign the person who mount the shifters.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At $128 this would be a pretty solid beater bike for folks with winters. Once the bottom tier components die then you could put something nicer on.

Actually I have some older 105 shifters and a RD laying around..

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if those are microshift r8 those cost like 70-80 bones just on their own

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

if those are microshift r8 those cost like 70-80 bones just on their own

Retail cost, right?

Those aren’t the Microshift hoods in the picture, even though i saw other listings using them. The ones in the pic are a very clear Campy ripoff.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

edit: ah the ones on the walmart site are 2x7

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 21, 2023

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Idk what I'd do all winter without zwift and my trainer

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The Ltwoo shifters are Campy style and OK, I'd say better than the Microshift. IWonder if they changed out the jockey wheels to give the 7s chain more space through that 9s rear mech or if it's fine as is.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Hutzpah posted:

the alpe is so nice I wish I could climb it every day

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’m looking at some options for jackets for the triple bypass this summer that will fit in a jersey pocket. Any thoughts on this Rapha one?

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/mens-pro-team-gore-tex-rain-jacket/product/RJP02XXSLN

Still debating whether I want to wear a jacket or gilet plus arm warmers. I tend not to ever ride in the rain on purpose, so not sure I’d use a jacket much.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hutzpah posted:

I’m on the “drink beer and get fat” training system

My wife Zwifts nearly every day but it bores the hell out of me

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to be a more well rounded person these days and as a result I'm definitely a little more round.

I did do about 10km on skates yesterday and I'm definitely feeling it today. The rest of the weekend on bikes and skates is gonna be fun.

Not sure if I'm going to bother with the race anymore it's going to be about 7 hours in the car for day thats expected to be cold af.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hutzpah posted:

lol that strava protected your privacy on watopia

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I thought Watopia was just a clever pun on the word Watt but no its a real place

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

Well duh I don't want you to know where I live

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

jesus WEP posted:

Also what kind of psychopath goes up AdZ and ends the ride without coming down?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TobinHatesYou posted:

Someone that’s pissed about getting gloves for the 5853th time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

yeah coming back down adz is the absolute most fun you can have on an indoor bike in my experience, like it’s not even close

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the alpe is so nice I wish I could climb it every day

I did (Most of) Ventoux as part of the Tour Du Zwift and that was just hell. The Alp feels so much nicer because of the way its presented in game. Wish they did that more with the other big climbs in other worlds.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I did (Most of) Ventoux as part of the Tour Du Zwift and that was just hell. The Alp feels so much nicer because of the way its presented in game. Wish they did that more with the other big climbs in other worlds.

Ventoux was great for TdZ because so many people were complaining about it, then Surrey Hills right after for even more climbing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Ventoux was great for TdZ because so many people were complaining about it, then Surrey Hills right after for even more climbing

I got more hosed up on Surrey Hills than Ventoux. I tried to follow the climby bois and just died. Spent the last 20km just barely alive.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I live in Seattle and I've been using my bike a lot more over the past year and I've been looking into using my bike more in my day to day life, which obviously means stuff like locks and chains. Looking into bike locks leaves me even more discouraged from using my bike for anything other than exercise and fun. Particularly since I see so many people out cycling through the city but the hordes of bike racks are mostly empty and unused, except for a handful of places like the University of Washington.

Not even these bike cages seem to be able to protect bikes from theft, found this one on campus with only the frame and u lock left.

It just seems ridiculous that something could be considered a transportation alternative with such a high risk of theft and almost no consequences for the thieves.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If you're going to be riding your bike in the city you're going to be riding something that you really don't care about getting stolen

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

I didn't know that was a thing somehow.
:negative:
Now I have to do it all over again next weekend.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Ventoux is miserable, just an absolute slog. I did the same ride and can't conceive of going the extra 6k to the top. I'll never get that badge, and I'm just fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
miss me with that fake climb poo poo where the visual representation has no bearing whatsoever on the climb difficulty. Can't imagine what they were thinking